IGN Tweet & Core Game = F2P - what does this mean? [unconfirmed]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Its not going f2p for kittens sake.Its like WoW’s f2p model.Do your research before you start qqing on forums people.

Research on a leaked feature with no serious information available?

Are you sure you know what the word ‘research’ means?

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

My guess is that they were referring to HoT-buyers getting the base game for free, and the tweet spoiler is just a shoddy summation (violating an embargo is pretty shoddy to begin with).

If not, there’s no way ANet will allow a free account to transfer resources outside itself. You’ll probably still have to buy the game to get access to the Trading Post or Guild Vaults, or the ability to Mail items/gold.

As for raids, I’m not in a guild so I sure hope it’ll be possible to join up with them without scheduling it as a guild. If they suck or the community around them is awful, I just won’t play them.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

(edited by Blaine Tog.8304)

Posted by: McViolin.8547

McViolin.8547

It’d be better if we blasted the front page to get a quicker response.

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

Yawn*

All you people that are screaming terror on the F2P core game need to do a little research. But wait this is the internet why would you try to google before whining.
From the data mined “Trial Account”
http://thatshaman.blogspot.com/2014/07/upcoming-features-from-entanglement.html
List from /u/Vahkris on reddit:
Only one or two character slots
Limit of level 15
Seems like a limit on how high a “rank” you can get (specific to trial or possibly PvP related)
Only able to send mail to friends.
Can’t send items or gold through mail
Can’t speak in map chat
Can’t access Team Arenas
Can’t access main WvW maps (EB and Borderlands)

i’m ok with that

(was terrified to think of F2P in WvW…..endless AFK F2P alts who take up room in WvW so your server has less room to fight the enemy with….would be a nightmare)

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

Instead of f2p it would be way better if anet just would shutdown the servers. I thnk all gw2 players would way more appreciate a shutdown forever!

None of their customer and I mean realle NOONE would have bought gw2 if it was f2p. Even in gw1 it was sure that f2p would be the worst decision ever thats why it still after 10 years is NOT f2p.

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Posted by: Lycurgus.9264

Lycurgus.9264

Full F2P = Disaster

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

datamined info earlier showed something about a trial account (this could be the F2P).

It also had datamined tidbits of maximum lvl of 15 for free trial (makes sense, only able to get into those start zone lvl 1-15 maps like queensdale)….

Couldn’t speak in map chats or use trading post and things like that either so I HIGHLY DOUBT its a full f2p game lol

Most likely just a free trial.

Thank you kindly for this info. I’m going to believe it until Anet says otherwise on Saturday.

That datamined info is over a year old. It is almost certainly not relevant. It’s probably something ArenaNet considered in the past and scrapped in favor of something else.

Your right its old and probably have some things changed but still. I highly doubt anet will put out a completely F2P, full edition of the core gw2 game….

We will know on saturday thou!

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

datamined info earlier showed something about a trial account (this could be the F2P).

It also had datamined tidbits of maximum lvl of 15 for free trial (makes sense, only able to get into those start zone lvl 1-15 maps like queensdale)….

Couldn’t speak in map chats or use trading post and things like that either so I HIGHLY DOUBT its a full f2p game lol

Thank you kindly for this info. I’m going to believe it until Anet says otherwise on Saturday.

That datamined info is over a year old. It is almost certainly not relevant. It’s probably something ArenaNet considered in the past and scrapped in favor of something else.

Your right its old and probably have some things changed but still. I highly doubt anet will put out a completely F2P, full edition of the core gw2 game….

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Most other games going F2P are coming from a subscription model and converts subscription to a monthly VIP level that eliminates the restrictions they put in place for F2P players. The purpose of F2P is to eliminate the barrier to entry and inherent restrictions of the F2P level riding the border of making the game unplayable and offering enough benefits for a F2Per to upgrade with a purchase of HoT.

Here I would imagine limited character slots, (like 2), no login rewards, chat restrictions to cut down RMT spam, possibly no guild creation or even membership,. no WvW, no trading via mail. That’s off the top of my head.

The one thing it won’t be is an unaltered full version of the core game.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

For some reason I get the feeling that the community is always the last to know about changes like this. Anet has a tendancy to throw curveballs in our faces.

Anyway, somewhat limited PvE only accounts as a “demo”… Ok fine, we can work with that. Free accounts across the game, such as in WvW? It would kill it. Imagine the griefing between servers. Just create 50 accounts and GG you own a border.

But the worst part of all, which often comes to mind with Anet changes (like the warhorn sound, which seems to be intential since they dont deny it) is… why? Why on earth would GW2 need free 2 play accounts? If this is a precursor to a p2w gemstore I would be very disappointed.

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

No it won’t all threads will get merged or some deleted.

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Please Anet, tell us it’s a joke.

Which part?

Both, F2P and raids are both horribly bad for a games community, either one is capable is bringing a game to its knees on its own. To do both at the same time….I can see a shark tank and what looks like GW2 about to jump it.

I’m not worried about raids, myself.

Remember that announcement about the changes to Fractals? How they want to lower the barrier of entry and lower the time commitment for individual Fractal runs? That makes even more sense if they’re adding raids, which will require larger groups and longer time commitments.

They’ve already confirmed there’ll be no gear tier beyond ascended in Heart of Thorns, so the gear treadmill aspect of raids in other MMOs won’t be an issue.

My guess is it’ll look a lot like the elite missions from GW1’s Factions campaign—extra-long, more difficult dungeons that require a larger-than-normal party and offer higher-than-normal rewards. Raids don’t worry me at all.

F2P is a different story. It could be botched easily, but it could also be handled well. It all remains to be seen.

Funny you should mention this.

There was a post in the Raid CDI about legendary gear in raids, and how it could also be fair to get them without raiding, but differently, and at the same time, same difficulty.

As for the F2P thing, I suspect poor wording in that you get the base game FREE with your purchase of HoT. So play the core game for “Free” now, if you buy HoT at this moment.

Posted by: ThreeHitDown.2169

ThreeHitDown.2169

Its not going f2p for kittens sake.Its like WoW’s f2p model.Do your research before you start qqing on forums people.

Research on a leaked feature with no serious information available?

Are you sure you know what the word ‘research’ means?

Exactly what you said “no serious info” im trying to say to look further before start crying on forums about the game going f2p.

Posted by: Agent Noun.7350

Agent Noun.7350

IGN also leaked a free-to-play trailer. I don’t want to post it here, but the link is in the thread on Reddit.

Long story short: it’s full free-to-play for anything that isn’t Heart of Thorns content and shows off both Fractals and WvW. It does not mention restrictions, but I would imagine there will be some, just to deal with the gold seller issue.

Bomber.3872

f2p would be the worst decision ever, better shutdown gw2 instead of f2p!!!

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Yeah well it looks better I guess if the whole front page is covering the same topic, but the problem is that you tend to end up with a lot of 2-3 comment threads saying the same thing. Fewer threads does look less impressive but at least the conversation is more focused, less repetition and the core thoughts and feelings can more easily be deduced.

Posted by: McViolin.8547

McViolin.8547

With the rumors of GW2 going F2P, what can we expect to get as people who bought the game?

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

Yawn*

All you people that are screaming terror on the F2P core game need to do a little research. But wait this is the internet why would you try to google before whining.
From the data mined “Trial Account”
http://thatshaman.blogspot.com/2014/07/upcoming-features-from-entanglement.html
List from /u/Vahkris on reddit:
Only one or two character slots
Limit of level 15
Seems like a limit on how high a “rank” you can get (specific to trial or possibly PvP related)
Only able to send mail to friends.
Can’t send items or gold through mail
Can’t speak in map chat
Can’t access Team Arenas
Can’t access main WvW maps (EB and Borderlands)

I hope this is the case…but what irony is this? You ask people to do research and post about a data-mined set of restrictions for OVER A YEAR AGO (JULY 15, 2014) your research might not be as “set-in-stone” as you try and make it sound.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Going F2P just before a paid expansion comes out.. wat..

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: GussJr.1643

GussJr.1643

The full game you paid for…

~COLLAMETTA~DELVANAI~

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

They would also need to prohibit the free accounts from posting on the forums. I read ArcheAge forum with its free accounts. Gold sellers and sellers of sexual aids advertised regularly on there. They would get banned, get another account and post again.

Wow it’s certainly gotten really bad there since I left. o_o

Please don’t let that happen here, Anet ;_;

Agent Noun.7350

Which part?

Both, F2P and raids are both horribly bad for a games community, either one is capable is bringing a game to its knees on its own. To do both at the same time….I can see a shark tank and what looks like GW2 about to jump it.

Remember that announcement about the changes to Fractals? How they want to lower the barrier of entry and lower the time commitment for individual Fractal runs? That makes even more sense if they’re adding raids, which will require larger groups and longer time commitments.

They’ve already confirmed there’ll be no gear tier beyond ascended in Heart of Thorns, so the gear treadmill aspect of raids in other MMOs won’t be an issue.

My guess is it’ll look a lot like the elite missions from GW1’s Factions campaign—extra-long, more difficult dungeons that require a larger-than-normal party and offer higher-than-normal rewards. Raids don’t worry me at all.

F2P is a different story. It could be botched easily, but it could also be handled well. It all remains to be seen.

There was a post in the Raid CDI about legendary gear in raids, and how it could also be fair to get them without raiding, but differently, and at the same time, same difficulty.

As for the F2P thing, I suspect poor wording in that you get the base game FREE with your purchase of HoT. So play the core game for “Free” now, if you buy HoT at this moment.

That’s not the case. Go to YouTube and search for “Guild Wars 2 Free to Play” and limit the search to today. IGN leaked a trailer and someone mirrored it on YouTube.

It’s full free-to-play for the base game, including WvW.

Behellagh.1468

I foresee a thread consolidation in the near future.

RIP City of Heroes

Agent Noun.7350

Going F2P just before a paid expansion comes out.. wat..

I bet their plan going forward is to charge for expansions but leave the core game free.

Posted by: Late For Tea.1846

Late For Tea.1846

The enjoyment you got from playing the game over the time you owned it.

Really, there has been no official announcement about it yet. For all we know its just going to be a trial up to a certain level. Keep your greed in check for once and wait for more details.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Prob best to wait for an actual announcement with the details on Sat before asking that question

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Nothing … why would you even ask a ridiculous question like that?

JediYoda.1275

Posted by: Zahld.4956

Zahld.4956

Put limited f2p on separate servers and no one paying for the game will care.

Agent Noun.7350

The free-to-play trailer has now been mirrored on YouTube. I’m afraid to link it, but it’s easy enough to search for.

Posted by: Raire.7983

Raire.7983

Maybe we’ll get a free bot-slot.

Posted by: Sonickeyblade.8415

Sonickeyblade.8415

I was just about to post this. Not even bad, Anet.

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

With the rumors of GW2 going F2P, what can we expect to get as people who bought the game?

NEW Veteran Appreciation Pack in the Gem Store™! You can get 20 transmutation Charges, 5 BL Keys, 2 Random Dyes, and 3 Loot Bags (containing blue weapons and trash) for only 1200 Gems! IN STORE NOW!

Bomber.3872

If gw2 is going to be f2p, will we be able to get a $100 refund on HoT? Because there is no use in buying an expansion for a f2p game, that won’t be played anymore.

Behellagh.1468

Likely no restrictions that they will hang on the F2P player. More initial character slots, the login reward, unfettered chat, possibly guilds.

We’ll see. Content won’t be restricted.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

A three year subscription to a top ranked MMO, retroactively granted.

I’m happy with what I got, so long as the gold sellers and bots are kept in check, I need nothing else.

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

Going F2P just before a paid expansion comes oukittens

ince it won’t be possible to buy the core game anymore (every digital retailer will ONLY have the combo packs bundled with the current expansion, then this makes a bit more sense, the core game is now considered a “trial”

Kinda like GW1 the tutorial islands could get you to max level etc. but everything beyond that was the “meaty” content. The core game here now feels like a tutorial, and the expansions will feature the better, fancier, shinier, and more difficult features and content.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

Agent Noun.7350

Aside from being funny (which it is), that tweet basically confirms the leak’s accuracy.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

How can it be full?

Create 100 accounts, park every character by mining nodes… GG, see you later economy.

Not to mention the dailies. People could earn hundreds of gold every day just logging onto accounts, lol.

Just ship it all off to your main account.

Posted by: Bagera Septim.8547

Bagera Septim.8547

So me saying anet hasnt said forsure about that wasnt enough for you understand ^^this already. …smh stop trolling kid 1st off u aint a dev so idk y u answering my question, 2nd theres only so much reaserch u can do on leaked info….

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

@McViolin.8547

Someone should have told you this years ago. Not everything is about you or should benefit you directly.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

CandyHearts.6025

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Put limited f2p on separate servers and no one paying for the game will care.

A sound solution. #winwin

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Other games going free to play meet the same thing. Bots, bots, bots, bots, bots, trolls trolls trolls, people with no feeling for the game because it is free just flows in and ruin the games for those that played it for a long while and those will start to leave one by one because the game they were used to and loved are now full of i don’t give a kitten-players.

I don’t see how this will be different for GW2. I whish they think this through one more time, if this is truely what they are going to do. GW2 have had a really great comunity so far, i don’t want that to change.

Other games going F2P is usually an indication that they have one foot in the grave… I think that’s probably the most uncomfortable part for me.
So lets just call this a trial. I like the word trial, F2P not so much.

Assuming this is true, we can’t predict what motivates Anet to make vanilla F2P. Usually, it’s sub based games giving F2P to entice people to sub up. In this instance, it could be to encourage sales on HoT but then again, they don’t even know how much HoT they will sell, so it would be premature for them to assume it will be ‘not enough’.

Frankly, if they have got their ROI back from the sales of vanilla GW2, this makes ALOT of sense to me; get people playing for free (because they met their expectations on revenue from vanilla) and then they buy from gemstore.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Not surprising at all. We had a CDI on raids and they were hiring a raid developer. We knew that raids were coming. As far as f2p goes, it’s not surprising either. People have been asking for f2p to liven SPvP.

Posted by: Sonickeyblade.8415

Sonickeyblade.8415

Aside from being funny (which it is), that tweet basically confirms the leak’s accuracy.

Also true, but IGN doesn’t really post troll information. When they say something they INTEND for it to be accurate.

They still have a cough Reputation cough to keep up. They won’t make money if they lose too much credibility.

But with all things in life, the devil is in the details. And that comes Saturday.

Ohh Saturday. This will be the most important Saturday in GW2 history. And I hope it goes well. I already pre-ordered the expansion and just bought gems for the sale. I thought GW2 was doing well.

I am being cautiously optimistic about all of this. Very, very cautious.

JediYoda.1275

How can it be full?

Create 100 accounts, park every character by mining nodes… GG, see you later economy.

Not to mention the dailies. People could earn hundreds of gold every day just logging onto accounts, lol.

Just ship it all off to your main account.

People are way over reacting here, I bet there will be restrictions in place just like the trial accounts, everyone needs to chill and wait for more info from Anet before jumping the gun here.

CandyHearts.6025

Nooh I said I wanna believe til Saturday! Shhhh! xD

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Which part?

That’s not the case. Go to YouTube and search for “Guild Wars 2 Free to Play” and limit the search to today. IGN leaked a trailer and someone mirrored it on YouTube.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

So it hasnt been confirmed by Anet…..im hoping for a Devs answer not a thought from the community

What was the point of this thread. Odds are high that a dev won’t be able to reply on something that is not official, kind of the point about having official announcements. Not to mention we are now just around the corner of the official statement so, hang tight?

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.