IGN Tweet & Core Game = F2P - what does this mean? [unconfirmed]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

HoT content in not going to be free, only the original game content.

Like most games that go F2P, there will probably be some restrictions to keep the RMT spammers in check (chat restrictions) and the economy from going off kilter (like no login rewards). They may block the ability to join a guild and may reduce the number of starting character slots.

I never got the reason for all the F2P “there goes the neighborhood” style panic beyond RMT spammers and that just needs a dedicated whack a reported RMT team and some reasonable chat restrictions.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Calm down, and untwist those panties. What veterans get is potentially new people to play with. We get a game that has more support meaning more money meaning more development time and a better game. Those people may not be paying for the core game but they will bolster the population which is a plus and getting a more extensive demo will likely provoke many of those players to pay up in some way to enhance their experience, but again, maybe not, but we still have more people around.

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

If, and I do mean ‘IF’, they are going to do this maybe, just maybe they have crunched numbers and used models to show an increase in revenues, which would mean they get to continue eating and that the game has more cash flowing into creative growth of the game.

I don’t think they’d be looking at this as an initiative to make your life unpleasant.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

(edited by Ferguson.2157)

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

Mega thread merger incoming!

…..talk about putting the horse before the cart. You guys are crazy.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I was just about to post this. Not even bad, Anet.

I guess they are saying, IGN has skritt for brains.

I like Skritt Happens.

It’s not fair that Skritt gets a free ingame T shirt when us vets don’t. I need to make a thread protesting giving free T shirts to skritts. >.>

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: McViolin.8547

McViolin.8547

Knowing Anet, I wouldn’t be surprised if they had made IGN “leak” this info to create more publicity and to continue the XPAC hype. The timing is perfect since the big PAX show is just in 2 days.

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

Same discussion with the free core game included for the addon.

Just stop it. We don’t need that again.

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

Posted by: femalehumanmeta.8351

femalehumanmeta.8351

That_shaman datamined trial account information over a year ago, and I’m betting all the f2p hysteria is just going to be anet coinciding the release of HoT with a free trial version.

The trial information is towards the end.

http://thatshaman.blogspot.ca/2014/07/upcoming-features-from-entanglement.html

Posted by: Cerpin.9152

Cerpin.9152

Booo IGN!
Boooooooo!

That’s all I want to say for now…

Behellagh.1468

Calm down, and untwist those panties. What veterans get is potentially new people to play with. We get a game that has more support meaning more money meaning more development time and a better game. Those people may not be paying for the core game but they will bolster the population which is a plus and getting a more extensive demo will likely provoke many of those players to pay up in some way to enhance their experience, but again, maybe not, but we still have more people around.

Knickers twist, panties bunch. Get your idioms right, it’s not rocket surgery.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Anet just merged it into one thread with “spoiler” in the title.
Well that basically confirms it, If the information was false it wouldn’t be a spoiler now would it?

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

The Brazilian kid hasn’t had 3 years worth of enjoyment from the game, you did. You got three years worth of enjoyment for what you paid for. And if that doesn’t make sense to you then maybe this will. Your time was worth that money, if you don’t agree then maybe you’d like to work for free from now on since you apparently don’t think your time is worth anything.

And now he gets to have the same experience I had without paying a cent. It would be nice if Anet did something to thank their players who have been playing since beta instead of trying to drive us away.

Oh really? He wont experience living world season 1 or first xmas and hallowen events that later changed in year 2.
He wont get most of the elusive skins either or play any of the dungeons since hes locked to 15 levels.
So how again will his experience be the same?

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Anet just merged it into one thread with “spoiler” in the title.
Well that basically confirms it, If the information was false it wouldn’t be a spoiler now would it?

Not really since that is just the thread they merged it into, it is still made by another player.

Posted by: Brimstar.9036

Brimstar.9036

YES, ITS HAPPENING! Finally challenging content and even with all the people who will cry over this, get over it. We deserve something challenging and if you don’t like the aspect it brings into the causal community, then its plain and simple. Don’t Raid. Continue to PvE, like the rest of us and stop shedding a negative light on more game types to be put into the game. THIS IS a good thing.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

It was changed to spoiler shortly after the op made the thread, possibly by the op or by a mod.

However, the pic on their twitter is enough to confirm the info has enough truth behind it.

The detail will be on Sat tho, so cries of panic are somewhat unwarranted at this stage

McViolin.8547

The Brazilian kid hasn’t had 3 years worth of enjoyment from the game, you did. You got three years worth of enjoyment for what you paid for. And if that doesn’t make sense to you then maybe this will. Your time was worth that money, if you don’t agree then maybe you’d like to work for free from now on since you apparently don’t think your time is worth anything.

And now he gets to have the same experience I had without paying a cent. It would be nice if Anet did something to thank their players who have been playing since beta instead of trying to drive us away.

Oh really? He wont experience living world season 1 or first xmas and hallowen events that later changed in year 2.
He wont get most of the elusive skins either or play any of the dungeons since hes locked to 15 levels.
So how again will his experience be the same?

Seeing as how I toke a 2 year break around the start of the Living Story, I didn’t get the experience, just like him

Posted by: sevenDEADLY.5281

sevenDEADLY.5281

So you’re now trying to say that its unfair because he will get three years worth of enjoyment from the game? Because by that time you will now have six years worth of enjoyment. Unless of course your argument is that he will experience three years worth of enjoyment in a day, in which case nevermind, I didn’t realize I was debating with someone so… special.

Posted by: munki.6402

munki.6402

Seeing as how I toke a 2 year break around the start of the Living Story, I didn’t get the experience, just like him

You have no interest in a discussion. Take it up with Anet and spare us your kitten.

4/1/15 forum meltdown survivor

Posted by: Yunielesca.2850

Yunielesca.2850

That_shaman datamined trial account information over a year ago, and I’m betting all the f2p hysteria is just going to be anet coinciding the release of HoT with a free trial version.

The trial information is towards the end.

http://thatshaman.blogspot.ca/2014/07/upcoming-features-from-entanglement.html

Ok, again, there is the official trailer accidently posted online by IGN that was posted on youtube here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48TMjS4rooE

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

I am just going to wait till Saturday. That way i get the full announcement and not get what looks like, out of context info.

Posted by: MCBGamer.9214

MCBGamer.9214

“We just told them that Heart of Thorns costs 50 USD because it includes the base game, then we made the game free!”

HAHAHAHAHA

McViolin.8547

So you’re now trying to say that its unfair because he will get three years worth of enjoyment from the game? Because by that time you will now have six years worth of enjoyment. Unless of course your argument is that he will experience three years worth of enjoyment in a day, in which case nevermind, I didn’t realize I was debating with someone so… special.

Judging from the way Anet is taking this game and trying to get rid of veterans, I doubt anybody will be here for another 3 years

sevenDEADLY.5281

I mean, if you buy a brand new TV in 2005 and then in 2009 you find out there are amazing new TVs out and the same TV you bought in 2005 is literally being given away you can’t go whine to samsung and suggest they owe you something for having a 2005 TV. This is the literal definition of entitlement.

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

“We just told them that Heart of Thorns costs 50 USD because it includes the base game, then we made the game free!”

HAHAHAHAHA

Actually they said that $50 is for HoT and that the base game itself was free with purchase of HoT, to be accurate.

Posted by: Lux Dominatoris.3941

Lux Dominatoris.3941

So much excitement, I’m so pumped ROAR! Can’t wait on the details Saturday. A great day for the game! <3

Deus vult!

Just a flesh wound.3589

Judging from the way Anet is taking this game and trying to get rid of veterans, I doubt anybody will be here for another 3 years

Oh for goodness sakes. The datamining shows trial accounts where you can get to level 15. Don’t go all gloom and doom until you have the facts and know what you are talking about.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

HAHAHAHAHA

The base game is free when applied to new accounts. The whole “base game included with the cost of the expansion” notion was created entirely by players.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Oh for goodness sakes. The datamining shows trial accounts where you can get to level 15. Don’t go all gloom and doom until you have the facts and know what you are talking about.

That was data-mined over a year ago and is meaningless. That trailer doesn’t say a trial, it says play for free, limitless adventures.

sevenDEADLY.5281

Ah I did not realize everyone elected you to be the one and only voice of all players of guild wars 2. Clearly this game is doomed and the servers are to be shut down immediately, McViolin has spoken.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

pHIS IS a good thing.

In your opinion. Many will hate this. They played GW2 to get away from raiding and all the associated BS.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

McViolin.8547

Yeah, from a year ago for the Chinese.

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

pHIS IS a good thing.

In your opinion. Many will hate this. They played GW2 to get away from raiding and all the associated BS.

Well, the main turnoff for me from standard raiding was the gear treadmill, and we know 100% that they’re not putting one of those in.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

pHIS IS a good thing.

They don’t have to do it as progression isn’t tied to it.

McViolin.8547

All these Anet alt accounts

Just a flesh wound.3589

That was data-mined over a year ago and is meaningless. That trailer doesn’t say a trial, it says play for free, limitless adventures.

Ok on that part if true. But he still has no facts just a “leak” from an outside source of unknown details or accuracy and he is spinning his speculations (not facts) into gloom and doom.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

SOONtm

/15 chars..

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

So does this means they might put in a ‘premium’ account feature? Thus, if you DO not pay this money per month you will get .oo1% exp, loot, rewards, etc of a prem account and possibly even more limitations on top of that. Is this why they put in that new clause in the ToS to usher this in? If so, consider me gone. If I am going to pay a sub, I would play wow instead.

(edited by fixit.7189)

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Ugh, the initial price tag was the only thing keeping caps locked Portuguese out of map chat.

Get used to seeing a lot of BR? BR? ALGUMEN BR GUILD? HUEHUEHUEHUEHUE.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

munki.6402

So does this means they might put in a ‘premium’ account feature. Thus, if you DO not pay this money per month you will get .oo1% exp, loot, rewards, etc of a prem account and possibly even more limitations on top of that. Is this why they put in that new clause in the ToS to usher this in? If so, consider me gone. If I am going to pay a sub, I would play wow instead.

I sell tinfoil hats for gems.

Behellagh.1468

Could you explain how going F2P will drive vets from the game? Somebody? Anybody?

Bueller?

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

So does this means they might put in a ‘premium’ account feature. Thus, if you DO not pay this money per month you will get .oo1% exp, loot, rewards, etc of a prem account and possibly even more limitations on top of that. Is this why they put in that new clause in the ToS to usher this in? If so, consider me gone. If I am going to pay a sub, I would play wow instead.

That ‘new’ clause existed since the beginning.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/License-Agreement/first#post1706206

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

Please note Welcome.GuildWars2.com/Play-For-Free
A dedicated subdomain.
I’m confident it will be a limited account, probably with no bank, guild, daily rewards and so on.

Posted by: Zev.3407

Zev.3407

The only way raids will be good is if they are for pvp

. . . but it wont be, and now we’ll have a bunch of (ex)Wow players coming in here, which is the opposite reason i play gw2

Behellagh.1468

HoT had a dedicated subdomain.

https://heartofthorns.guildwars2.com

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

mmmm….one communicate with us and the other doesn’t.

In any case…yea, not very classy Anet.

McViolin.8547

Could you explain how going F2P will drive vets from the game? Somebody? Anybody?

Bueller?

It’s not just F2P that is the issue with vets. There is also bugs that haven’t been fixed in years, dungeons never even touched, and Anet not even knowing their own playerbase and its wants to add to the list

Behellagh.1468

They will talk to us but IGN jumped the gun two days early. I’m sure the materials they have prepared to post is based on the official announcement.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Bueller?

It’s not just F2P that is the issue with vets. There is also bugs that haven’t been fixed in years, dungeons never even touched, and Anet not even knowing their own playerbase and its wants to add to the list

EXACTLY

munki.6402

All of which will be addressed on Saturday: A portion of the population wanted raids, we’re getting raids. The population didn’t want a gear treadmill, and we’re not getting one. The list goes on, but I don’t want to waste too much time since, judging by your post history, you suffer from a bit of a persecution complex. Good luck with that.