IMO, PvE not represented in leaderboards

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Risingashes.8694

Risingashes.8694

Achievements aren’t an appropriate yardstick to measure pve rankings.

Yet a lot of the animosity towards achievement leaderboards seems to be the assumption that achievements are considered by ANet to represent the pve leaderboards. This is hopefully incorrect.

So what should the pve leaderboards measure once they are released? What metric or metrics would best represent pve differentiation?

Posted by: Warruz.8096

Warruz.8096

There is nothing as the ceiling is to small or broken apart

Why was Crab Toss Removed? – http://tinyurl.com/kvbaakq

Risingashes.8694

Nothing? Clear times of dungeons seems an overly obvious one.

Posted by: Day Trooper.3605

Day Trooper.3605

PvE leaderboards? Do you have a link for this? (just curious as I completely missed the announcement).

So what should the pve leaderboards measure once they are released? What metric or metrics would best represent pve differentiation?

As you said speedclear times would be awesome to see officialy posted.

(edited by Day Trooper.3605)

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

PvE isn’t competitive, it’s just running around hitting stuff and taking their things. It doesn’t need a leaderboard. I’ve tried to follow up with a bunch of positive and constructive things but none if them made sense when I thought about it so I’ll just stick with offering the opinion.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

zenleto.6179

PvE leaderboards? Do you have a link for this? (just curious as I completely missed the announcement).

I can see how this would be leaderboard material but how would they show it? Everyone in the group, or just the leader? And they’d have to let you flag your group for a competitive speed run at the start. It’s an idea though.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

so you want speedrunners of cof to be proud?

Risingashes.8694

I can see how this would be leaderboard material but how would they show it? Everyone in the group, or just the leader? And they’d have to let you flag your group for a competitive speed run at the start. It’s an idea though.

I’d assume they would display the entire team. Show the top team for each path of each dungeon, then allow people to zoom in to see all the clear times.

Risingashes.8694

If they are the fastest of the fastest, yes.

But it would be all dungeons not CoF specific.

Feel free to suggest a different metric. How would you measure pve prowess?

zenleto.6179

I sort of thought that also but I don’t think it’s a terrible idea. At the least it would give a bunch of people something to do at 80. Some people have difficulty keeping themselves occupied at max level here so it would be one more option for them.

(I still stand by my first post in this thread, for now)

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

There isn’t really much that could be measured on a PVE leaderboard unfortunately.

Having leaderboards for dungeon clear times is fine. Have a leaderboard for each path, maybe people can have some fun with that.

Beyond that though, there isn’t really much. Maybe a fractal leaderboard for highest fractal level achieved.

For WvW, could have a WvW rank leaderboard (for individual players WvW level, currently they just have the server rankings). Surprised they didn’t add that one already.

Should add an sPVP one too for pvp rank. The tourney one is fine, might as well add one for regular pvp rank too, so people that just run hotjoins or something can try to top that one.

(edited by Minion of Vey.4398)

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

With a little bit of work from ANet, dungeons could have a point-based scoring system. Your team would get points for killing mobs of course, but you’d get bonuses at the end for faster clears, and maybe stuff like no deaths/wipes. There would have to be some kinda of delicate balance between the amount of points you can get for trash mob killing versus the bonus for faster clears. The point being that a team that enjoys full-clearing the dungeon could still compete for first place with the team that skips all trash for a super efficient speed clear.

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

Risingashes.8694

With a little bit of work from ANet, dungeons could have a point-based scoring system. Your team would get points for killing mobs of course, but you’d get bonuses at the end for faster clears, and maybe stuff like no deaths/wipes. There would have to be some kinda of delicate balance between the amount of points you can get for trash mob killing versus the bonus for faster clears. The point being that a team that enjoys full-clearing the dungeon could still compete for first place with the team that skips all trash for a super efficient speed clear.

Love that idea. Add one of those old school point tally systems (the ones were the numbers race past as they are calculating and then explode at their final tally) and you’re in.

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

If I recall, GW1 had Challenge Missions in that scores were logged to see who did well in that particular mission over the course of 24 hours, 30 days, and 90 days. Earning points were based on certain kinds of criteria depending on the mission.

I suppose for “Competitive PvE” to make sense, it would have to be in more tightly controlled content, like dungeons. Currently, speed-running is the most popular form of running a dungeon but there could be other metrics that could be determined to see how well you do in comparison to other groups. Such as:

• Kills Per Minute: Kill as much as you can while spending as little time as possible in clearing the dungeon.
  • Bonus Events: Completing these Bonus Events, like the bridge event in CoF p1 and the Cave Troll in AC could earn bonus points and maybe award the party with buffs that increases Gold/Magic Find by a certain amount.
  • Death Count: Bonus points could be awarded if party members stayed alive during the run.
  • Strategic use of Crowd Control

And maybe some dungeon-specific metrics like number of attempts in crossing the laser field in CoE or preventing Lupicus in Arah from eating the grubs in phase 1.

Like in GW1, there were also tangible awards for doing your best in the Challenge Missions, like armor pieces for your Heroes, Faction Points, Gold, and Experience. Similar awards could be earned for GW2 “Competitive PvE” content if you managed to make it to the top and any of the specialized categories for consideration, even bonus rares/exotics, commendations, or laurels.

I think the idea of “Challenge Mission”-like objectives for GW2 might be interesting to look into and see how it would work out.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

PvE isn’t compeditive in the slightest, it’s not even difficult, so what you’d be doing is mashing as much damage and luck into a run as possible to find some kind of compeditive touch in a gamemode that is (At least in this game) all about co-operation. A bit rediculous.

All the competitive pve content has already been done (World first lupi solo, fastest lupi time) and doesn’t really involve something you can quantify.

If they introduce new content which is actually – difficult – then maybe. There was highest fractal level but they decided to stop that by killing the revive bug at maw because muh ascended.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

(edited by Writetyper.1985)

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

The leaderboards are really just a joke, why worry about what they do or do not show?
The only rankings at all that have any meaning are the WvW rankings, and I don’t even do WvW, LOL!