IMO, we already have GvG

IMO, we already have GvG

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: nastyjman.8207

nastyjman.8207

First off, I did not play GW1 so I don’t have an idea of how GvG worked. That said, when players say that there’s no Guild versus Guild, or a “Guild” Wars, I think to myself, “Well, we do, and it’s in WvW.”

GvG is happening in WvW. But I admit, it’s not visible enough to feel like a Guild versus Guild. Guilds claiming keeps and towers get to show their emblem on the claimed property. But it’s not “showy” enough.

To fix that, I think guild emblems should show up in the overworld map. The emblem would show next to the property claimed, and if you hover over it, it would give you the name of the guild and how many people are registered to the guild (not how many are online).

Also Guild Claiming should not have a limitation on how many properties can be claimed. To balance this out, Art of War influence upgrades should be re-tuned. Guilds who has the army and the influence could cover a portion of the map or the whole map. This gives bragging rights to guilds, and it also advertises that guild in WvW.

Opposing guilds will also know who they’re up against, and animosity might build up, leading to a Guild Wars! In conclusion, I think GvG is present in the game, but it’s not visible enough. When the game gets tweaked and updated, I hope that guilds become more visible in WvW to actually promote guild pride and guild wars.

First Team to reach 250 has 87% chance to win (Updated 7/30/2014) : http://bit.ly/1lWH6T8

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Yeah, visibility of what guilds own what is lacking right now. 99% of the time I could care less about what guild owns what because all it is is an image on a banner. If you toss more information into the system, like the ideas mentioned above, normal people would care more I’m sure.

Me being a person who does not hardcore WvW much, I know some guilds ‘carry’ some servers in WvW, but information farther than that, like banner images and guild names/tags, I just don’t get enough exposure to them to know of the larger WvW guilds.

Heres to adding more detail to WvW maps!

Primary Guild: Testing Eternity [TE]
Chloe (Version 3):
[i7 930 @ 4.1Ghz (1.3875V) w/Cooler Master 120M][Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (stock)]

IMO, we already have GvG

nastyjman.8207

Yeah, visibility of what guilds own what is lacking right now. 99% of the time I could care less about what guild owns what because all it is is an image on a banner. If you toss more information into the system, like the ideas mentioned above, normal people would care more I’m sure.

Me being a person who does not hardcore WvW much, I know some guilds ‘carry’ some servers in WvW, but information farther than that, like banner images and guild names/tags, I just don’t get enough exposure to them to know of the larger WvW guilds.

Heres to adding more detail to WvW maps!

Agree. More guild visibility means more guild wars. As of now, it’s Server versus Server, and it’s all about server pride. If guilds were more visible, trash talk between guilds would be interesting and entertaining. Down the road, a specific guild might get targeted and harassed on by claiming all the forts and keeps it possessed.

Also, to add more to guild pride, I think they should have a Guild Banner Finisher.

First Team to reach 250 has 87% chance to win (Updated 7/30/2014) : http://bit.ly/1lWH6T8

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

No, it’s not the same in the slightest. GvGs were well coordinated fights with groups who knew eachother and had built a sense of community together aimed towards a direct win or loss.

WvW is a semi-coordinated fight with tons of players who often barely know eachother in an amorphous seemingly neverending fight of which the outcome doesn’t seem to matter.

GvG fights took place in guild halls that provided unique challenges, so home turf vs fighting at an enemy’s guild hall made a difference.

WvW fights take place in a huge sprawling area that’s always the same, regardless of server that you’re facing.

In GvG, there were guild rivalries because the cohesive structure build a community that interacted with eachother.

In WvW, there’s very little actual interaction between guilds and guild rivalries don’t matter anyways since fights are never really just between two guilds, but rather are guild and a bunch of random people vs guild and another bunch of random people.

In GvG there were specific roles that people planned out so that the role of individuals mattered in the way they used their class/build to help achieve a goal.

In WvW class and build matters very little since strategy is really more about who can amass a bunch of people and move them to the right place effectively.

WvW is great, don’t get me wrong, but it’s no replacement for the lack of GvG. There is a gaping hole in GW2 where we lack the same community involvement with guild identity that there was in GW1 and WvW has not made up for that.

IMO, we already have GvG

nastyjman.8207

WvW is great, don’t get me wrong, but it’s no replacement for the lack of GvG. There is a gaping hole in GW2 where we lack the same community involvement with guild identity that there was in GW1 and WvW has not made up for that.

Thanks for the input. I understand that WvW is not GvG, but more of a GvGvGvG. Although WvW has the potential of having a new type of guild rivalries and alliances if there’s more guild visibility in WvW. At the current, there’s not much visibility where guilds can show-off how many properties they have in possession.

Since WvW doesn’t replace GvG, I can imagine the frustration or disappointment from GW1 players. But in the interview, they alluded that GvG is replaced with tPvP, and with Custom Arenas in the horizon, organized GvG could happen. However, I’m not sure if this is a good replacement for GW1 players who want GvG.

I think one possible tweak or update they could do is implement a PvP Ranking for the whole guild. Tournaments can only accept players that are in the same guild, which is possible since players can be part of multiple guilds.

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: Halandir.3609

Halandir.3609

Well chosen title and first few words though it is quite obvious you never experienced the GvG in Guild Wars.
GvG were structured matches between 2 organized teams of 8 people doing battle on an even playingfield.
Teams planning synergies and overall tactics with a massive amount of skills, dual professions, lots of relevant armor/weaponset choices all topped with both ranked and unranked GvG’s with observer mode…

It was extremely competitive and those of us who never managed to get into the top100 still had loads of fun learning and fighting other guilds in the same ranking bracket. While waiting for guild members to come online we could always chat while observing matches between the high ranked guilds or maybe even have a laugh in TA or HA.

Nope – Sorry… None of that exists in GW/2.

Your talk of “animosity might build up, leading to a Guild Wars!” sound like your frame of reference is some of all the “dramaqueen OW PvP MM-whatever games” out there: Fair enough, you never played Guild Wars.
I tried quite a few of those games and never cared for any of them – They had NOTHING compared to GvG in Guild Wars!

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: Hadson.5024

Hadson.5024

GvG is not just a name, like every time guild zerg meet guild zerg we can’t hoestly call it GvG.
See, when ppl say gvg they mean “GvG gw1 style” which is:
1) Connected to guildhall(you have to invade or protect guildhall)
2) Instanced for limited, not big amount of ppl(it was 8v8 but i think 5v5 would be fine)
3) Depends on rating and matchmaking
4) Supports daily monthly and some spetial tournaments
and such things.

Yeah i forgot to mention that it was the most exciting pvp mode EVER, nooe could beat it even in 2013

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: Dedalus.3065

Dedalus.3065

Tbh what everyone is describing as GvG sounds a lot like tPvP (except for guild halls).

IMO, we already have GvG

nastyjman.8207

Tbh what everyone is describing as GvG sounds a lot like tPvP (except for guild halls).

It does — minus the guild halls and ranking.

I think guild ranking is crucial to the piece of the GW2-tPvP puzzle. As I suggested above, I think implementing a guild ranking for PvP could bring back a little flavor from GW1. But ranking/rating is definitely needed in PvP to get the game in the competitive scene… as well as the observer mode.

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

You could tell they tried to bring the essence of GvG back in the form of tPvP with the Foefire map (the one with the 2 guards and the main guy worth 100 or whatever points).

Primary Guild: Testing Eternity [TE]
Chloe (Version 3):
[i7 930 @ 4.1Ghz (1.3875V) w/Cooler Master 120M][Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (stock)]

IMO, we already have GvG

Halandir.3609

I guess it is hard to explain to someone who never experienced it. GW/2 is (sadly) a very shallow experience compared to what Guild Wars had to offer.
Make that:

• Many Guild halls, each with their own defence/offence options
  • More than 1300 skills to chose from freely
  • Dual professions
  • Interrupts/Energy denial/Healing all mattered
  • Team skill-synergi played a major role
  • Different structured PvP meta’s
  • Observer mode (with playback of you last GvG always available)
  • Unranked “Find us a fun GvG” vs. a Guild with matching skills.
  • Ranked GvG’s, AT’s and lots more
    + EVERY guild had the option to just copy/paste the complete teambuild incl. weapons/skills and armor of the top ranking guild – ONLY the ability to execute mattered.

Somewhere down the line Anet just chose a different path and gave up on the truly unique things they had in Guild Wars. In comparison (regarding PvP and especially GvG) GW/2 is a sad “elevator music” carricature version of what its predecessor managed to do.

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: Jaxon.5392

Jaxon.5392

You could tell they tried to bring the essence of GvG back in the form of tPvP with the Foefire map (the one with the 2 guards and the main guy worth 100 or whatever points).

Yeah, I suppose that was the intent.

But GvG was just something “out of the box”. We all have to accept that the beautiful GvG will always be the great memory of GW1.

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

How much of that stuff from GW1 was in at or within 6 months of release? (honest question)

I only played GW1 for about long enough to realize it was all instanced, and coming from a game where you could fly and fight 80v80 “guild” battles I just couldn’t get into GW1 with no jumping at all and no open world content (my own hang-ups, I’ll admit, I bet GW1 was epic fun for many people).

Is it possible that they will continue to add features to GW2? Like new tPvP maps? Did GW1 ship with every mode currently available? Might people get better results here by making suggestions rather than basically insulting the designers of GW2? (Just saying, if I made this game and read some of these threads, I’d probably start to get fed up with the “ermagerd! gw2 is suckz! gw1 wuz gawd!” stuff…..)

@ Halandir: Team synergy and builds don’t play a role in GW2? Cool, you get a group of random builds together without any healing or interrupts on their skills (cause they aren’t important, right?) and send them up against a team comp with some thought and skill, we’ll see how that goes for you…..

Spectator made would be awesome (and has been talked about since beta, and with the focus on e-sport will have to be added at some point). More maps would be awesome, perhaps one could be a guild hall with a guild lord….. oh wait….. Rankings would be awesome. Those are all good suggestions and none require “this game sucks because it doesn’t have” as a preamble.

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

(edited by Thrashbarg.9820)

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

WVW 5v5 is more like DAOC 8v8, which is the game that WVW is modelled on.

The biggest impediments to a real 5v5 scene in WVW are that zerging has too few drawbacks and that the WVW maps don’t have enough open roaming space.

downed state is bad for PVP

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: Dragon Relic.8216

Dragon Relic.8216

I’m in favor of having GvG the way it was in GW1. I don’t think WvWvW is a replacement for GvG at all. I don’t think tPvP is a replacement for GvG either. It’s just my two cents and I am sure plenty will agree or disagree.

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

GvG was a pvp game mode that was very e-sports, it is nothing like WvW and no we don’t have it in GW2. We have conquest and ZvZ (zerg vs zerg)

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

IMO, we already have GvG

Halandir.3609

How much of that stuff from GW1 was in at or within 6 months of release? (honest question)

Is it possible that they will continue to add features to GW2? Like new tPvP maps? Did GW1 ship with every mode currently available? Might people get better results here by making suggestions rather than basically insulting the designers of GW2? (Just saying, if I made this game and read some of these threads, I’d probably start to get fed up with the “ermagerd! gw2 is suckz! gw1 wuz gawd!” stuff…..)

@ Halandir: Team synergy and builds don’t play a role in GW2? Cool, you get a group of random builds together without any healing or interrupts on their skills (cause they aren’t important, right?) and send them up against a team comp with some thought and skill, we’ll see how that goes for you…..

Actually most if not all important game mechanics were in from the start in GW1.
About 600 skills got added with the 2 new campaigns and the expansion and observer mode was first available a few years after release.
Hero battles got added after/along with the Nightfall campaign but got removed along with TA (Team Arena) later and was replaced with the unsuccessful Codex Arena.

I am sure that Anet will continue to develop and add new PvP content to GW/2. Though I doubt they will introduce huge changes to the games basic mechanics.
While I and many other nostalgics would love changes, I guess most of the current fanbase in GW/2 prefer the mechanics as they are.

I am not trying to insult the GW/2 devs any more than they insulted me and other fans of Guild Wars with their talk of taking all the things we loved about Guild Wars and expanding them in GW/2.
Just different, VERY different viewpoints I guess.

I am well aware that the builds and the limited synergies present in GW/2 are still important but I doubt that you understand just how limited they are compared to their importance in Guild Wars.
(Not going to call it “dumbed down” because I see the reason why Anet wanted to make GW/2 more “accessible” than Guild Wars.)

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

WvW =/= GvG. They are two very separate things.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: Gannicus.4132

Gannicus.4132

I come from a casual guild and WvW simply offers no fun to us at all. We go into the map, we win a tower, we lose a tower. Repeat. After 2 -3 hours we achieve nothing and we go to sleep. GvG offered us the ability to have fun as a casual guild in GW1 and this has simply not been achieved in GW2.

Sir Chopsalot/ Feanor Nerwen| Confirm Guarantee Plus Chop [SG] | Stormbluff Isle

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: aNTarTis.2561

aNTarTis.2561

Zerg vs Zerg is not GvG… this game is more like ZergWars 2 or RandomsWars 2

you cant have a nice pvp guild or be someone here, u just a number, part of the random zerg, and the guild are just like facebook groups…

I already checking others games… … but the true is, u can play ANY other game with pvp/pk/wars and u will lose nathing at GuildWars 2 since there is not endgame after u hit 80 (epic raids, skills, armors or weapons, wars or open world pvp) , u just need too connect for the events with the updates and done, no problem. Is like a shooter

Commander of [XO] Xtreme Online – www.xogamers.com

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Owning a castle in wvw is meaningless, the zerg runs up smashes down the castle, you get lucky enough to take the castle for your guild, the zerg runs on and the enemy zerg takes your castle 2 minutes later or less..really fun times..

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

Yeah sure >_< u can’t do GvG in WvW.
it’s like playing soccer on field without any lines and goals. And at the end, they don’t tell you if you won or not. Also there would be no rules and you can’t even check if the party size is even. Maybe random people start to join in with stealth. But yeah, if you think it’s the same, good luck with that. kitten /p>

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: Meret.5943

Meret.5943

In proper—by that I mean GW—GvG, you are defending your guild hall. This is the same place you go to sell, to hang out, to chat, to have guild meetings and guild parties, the place you log out and back in at. Your home.

No one who hasn’t played real GvG could say WvW is the same thing, imho.

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: Diviner.7405

Diviner.7405

Now I never played GW1 GvG, but what people are making it sound like is sPvP.
5v5 or 8v8 teams that fight against each other. Sounds like GW2 already has this. So what are people complaining about? Sure, in sPvP you dont get your gear stats or whatever, but gear is supposed to be about cosmetics not about who has better gear.

What I would like to see is something in between sPvP and WvW that could be called Guild versus guild. Two guilds compete against each other in maybe 20v20 or so instance. The map could use WvW aspects but on a much smaller scale (maybe like 1-2 tower per team with a few supply camps here and there). Matches could run for 30min-1hr. Too me, thats what a GvG sounds like.

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: George Steel.1804

George Steel.1804

No, the current system is more ZvZ

Platinum – Guardian
Technical Strength – Engineer
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: papryk.6273

papryk.6273

First off, I did not play GW1, so I don’t have an idea of how GvG worked

I stopped reading here.

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

I don’t think people who never played GW1, or never got into GW1 because there was no jumping shouldn’t be commenting on GvG. The complexity and coordination of GvG cannot be found in GW2, and I don’t expect people who never experienced it to understand. It’s like a person who knows nothing about chess watching a game and saying, “I don’t understand, that looks like the same thing as checkers to me, why are you all complaining?”

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

WvW was meant as a casual side activity, not the main part of the game. If it was polished, fun and competitive with leaderboards and character/guild progression I might actually agree with you. aka DAoC with a better engine.

Reminds me of a bad version of wintergrasp at the moment.

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: Dragon Relic.8216

Dragon Relic.8216

I don’t think people who never played GW1, or never got into GW1 because there was no jumping shouldn’t be commenting on GvG. The complexity and coordination of GvG cannot be found in GW2, and I don’t expect people who never experienced it to understand. It’s like a person who knows nothing about chess watching a game and saying, “I don’t understand, that looks like the same thing as checkers to me, why are you all complaining?”

I totally agree with this. I’m seeing a lot “we have 5v5 that sounds like it” GvG was so much more than what we have now with the tPvP. If anyone over at anet ever played GW1 then you know what we are talking about.

I hope it is brought into the game. I know if it was my guild and I would be doing a lot more PvP.

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

Now I never played GW1 GvG, but what people are making it sound like is sPvP.
5v5 or 8v8 teams that fight against each other. Sounds like GW2 already has this. So what are people complaining about? Sure, in sPvP you dont get your gear stats or whatever, but gear is supposed to be about cosmetics not about who has better gear.

Didn’t play gw1 → tries to comment on how the game was played xD
gw1 gvg had a special game-type, other structured maps, ladder/rating system, etc..

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: SlimGenre.6417

SlimGenre.6417

It’s similar, the main difference is it was more of a “last man standing” brawl. No running around capping things, just a battle of who survived and who didn’t.

I’d love to see GvG offered at different levels, not just an 8 man cap. GvG 20v20, maybe even with flexability, have levels of players like tier 1 is 10 or less ppl per team, tier 2 is between 11 and 15, tier 3 16-20 and so on. That way you’re not always waiting around for exactly X number of people to sign on against your guild.

I like this idea because as a primary WvW’er, you often see two roaming guilds smashing heads in open ground over and over and through the course of the week some rivalries develop on the WvW forums. It’d be nice to let those two guilds have somewhere they can go duke it out for bragging rights, with no chance of pugs joining the fight and interfering. A guild of 25 wants to take on a guild of 30? Why not!!

IMO, we already have GvG

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

@ the OP wv3 is Nothing like G v G

G v G is guild v guild in a competitve time frame and you have a winner and a loser
Also With out rankings ingame Guild rankings , makes even wv3 meaningless

Urgently needed In this Game :

10 v 10 competitive G V G with in game world rankings
10 v 10 v 10 Hall of heroes

Battle of khylo map could easily become a G V G map it has the potential

[WM]give us in game ladder