(Idea) Armor Mastery

(Idea) Armor Mastery

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: nastyjman.8207

nastyjman.8207

I just had an idea for a new type of Mastery for the Core world. Basically, if you unlock a tier of Mastery, you can re-skin your armor with other armor types.

The three types of Masteries are Light Armor Mastery, Medium Armor Mastery and Heavy Armor Mastery.

Each Mastery has six tiers, and the tiers correspond to the six armor pieces. In order, the tiers are Head, Gloves, Shoes, Shoulders, Leggings and Chest.

If you’re a Thief and you unlock the Light Armor Mastery, you can reskin your armor with Light Armor skins. I think it will be cool if you can mix and match from other armor types. But in order to do so, you would need to unlock it through mastery.

This was inspired after I had equipped The Cook’s Outfit on my Guardian.

First Team to reach 250 has 87% chance to win (Updated 7/30/2014) : http://bit.ly/1lWH6T8

(Idea) Armor Mastery

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The problem is mix and matching which creates clipping issues.

(Idea) Armor Mastery

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

On top of present clipping issues.
But if that wasn’t an issue I’d be for this suggestion.

(Idea) Armor Mastery

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

As I feel compelled to point out every time someone asks to mix armor weights, it is not technically possible. They designed each weight with different animation rigs and they don’t play well together.

Have you seen the texture bug happening on female sylvari Wedding Attire? Imagine that multiplied and covering all your armor. That’s what happens when the weights mix, as we saw in the game’s beginning when one could preview a mix.

It goes far beyond clipping.

(Idea) Armor Mastery

Posted by: Substatic.6958

Substatic.6958

Perhaps you can only have 1 of the 3 armor types in this mastery line at a time.

(Idea) Armor Mastery

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Yeah, cause this game has no clipping issues. /s

There are tons of clipping issues in the game already and anet doesn’t care. This is a weak excuse.

(Idea) Armor Mastery

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

There are tons of clipping issues in the game already and anet doesn’t care. This is a weak excuse.

It’s the wrong excuse. The incompatibility of different-weight animation skeletons is the real reason. I don’t think ANet has ever claimed mere clipping is a reason not to mix weights.

(Idea) Armor Mastery

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

And imagine how much more we would have. Nothing is flawless and you can’t simply dismiss something because it has flaws. And like Donari said, it’s not the only reason.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Feedback-Questions-Town-clothes-Costumes-Combat/page/14#post3817507

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

(Idea) Armor Mastery

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

It could work if the professions can switch armor class skins, but can’t mix and match. I just want my Necro Reaper look like a Death Knight without the Balthazar armor.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

(Idea) Armor Mastery

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

It could work if the professions can switch armor class skins, but can’t mix and match. I just want my Necro Reaper look like a Death Knight without the Balthazar armor.

There are already some “heavy” looking light skins in the game- I saw a screenie on the forums very recently of somebody who pulled of the death knight look wonderfully with SE armour with CoF legs. It was great!

Moreover, OP and anybody asking to blur the lines of armour weights, I think a suggestion that is more likely to get attention is this: ask for armour that doesn’t stand up to the “norms” of its weight.

We’re unlikely to ever see a light armour that appears to be full plate, but I’m sure that armour designers could make armour that had elements of the other weights in it.

(Idea) Armor Mastery

Posted by: Mikah.4510

Mikah.4510

Side note on light armor looking like heavy, though it doesn’t cover much flesh, the carapace top (at least on females) has metal parts on the arms and around the bust. Looks pretty awesome on my norn ele.

Attachments: