[Idea] Black Lion chest rarity promotion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

Summary
Create unbound fine, masterwork, rare, exotic, ascended and legendary versions of Black Lion chests by promoting common chests in the Mystic Forge.

What
Every increase in rarity would increase the chance at a fourth item. Some, if not all, increases in rarity would remove items from the loot table, increasing the chance other items would drop. Ideally, the player would select which items were removed.

Why?
The container drop table tool tip provides a way to squarely demonstrate what increasing rarity would provide.
Some players do not participate in the Tyrian economy because they do not find value in the current rewards. A high value consumable would provide a reliable place for players to find value and recipes for BL chest promotion could encourage participation in the economy and game-play.

Risks
BL chest promotion could encourage participation in the economy. Anywhere the BL chest promotion recipe demand overlaps with other recipes, the cost and production rates of both items may be affected. This risk can be turned to the advantage of other production lines by having the Bl chest promotion recipes require gold and not shared resources.
An increase in the gold cost of basic BL chests may affect the sale of keys. This risk could be minimized by requiring as few as necessary common BL chests in the promotion recipes.

Recipes!

The fun part and where input would always make the idea better or at least different. I think the Mystic Forge is the obvious way to approach promoting the rarity of Black Lion chests. What materials could be required be for each rarity level? Where would you want to see price points for each rarity?

I would like the recipes to require the Gifts of X that don’t require t2-t6 crafting materials such as exploration and dungeon, Vision crystals, new kharma mats for lower rarity tiers, and MF special materials.

As to price points, I think one Gift of Exploration or equivalent per Legendary chest would set maximum value.

Thanks for reading.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Interesting idea. It might be fun to be able to manipulate RNG (somewhat).

Good luck.

Posted by: Nuka.6701

Nuka.6701

Sounds like an interesting idea that would also help to balance out chest supply verses keys bought (because we all know that nobody, or next to nobody, buys more keys than chests they receive as drops).

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Interesting notion. However since the purpose of chests is to sell keys, promoting chests, a “cheap” item will only accomplish a reduction of keys needs, keys ANet wants to sell players for cold hard cash.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t know. I might be more tempted to buy keys if I was assured of better odds to acquire the better items on offer.

I already acquire more keys when there are other BL Chest promotions.

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

Interesting notion. However since the purpose of chests is to sell keys, promoting chests, a “cheap” item will only accomplish a reduction of keys needs, keys ANet wants to sell players for cold hard cash.

Fair point, this idea increases per-key productivity, thereby decreasing the demand for keys. If this idea didn’t create new key consumers, then the net effect would be fewer key sales. However, I think this would bring new key customers as well as reduce aggregate gold available for gem conversion, turning gold for key sales into cash for key sales.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human