[Idea Brainstorm] Luminary Mode

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

Hello,

So something I’ve been trying to do is think about a way to create a form of progression that would get people to go back into the living world, make it long lasting, and also have some sort of effect in the other game modes of the game. I didn’t want to make it required to do the other game modes, but rather compliment them.

Here is the basic idea of what I’ve come up with. I’m hoping to get some constructive criticism to improve on it and refine it.

So once a person reaches 80 and does map completion, he gains the ability to activate Luminary Mode. This mode does the following

Downscales you back down to level 1 in the open world. It will still say you’re 80, you’ll be able to use 80 gear, and it boost you back up to 80 when you do things like spvp, WvW, dungeons, fractals, etc. All your stats will be downscaled to level 1 though when you go into the open world. You can then level again. Your map will be reset so you can do map completion again. When you do map completion again you could receive reduced rewards in terms of gifts of exploration. So you can basically level again in the open world. You don’t have to do this however.

You can do Luminary Mode 5 times. So you get to 80, do map completion, then activate luminary mode, repeat. Maybe it will take more exp each time you do it to reach 80 in luminary mode.

Now then, whats the point? The rewards will not only be able to get more than 2 gifts of exploration on one character, but also the following

1. Each time you do luminary mode you get 20% increase to MF

2. You can increase dynamic rewards. For each Luminary mode (up to 5 times) you get 20% more karma, 10% more exp, and 50% increase in money rewards for events. So if I were to do an event that grants 200 karma, 1,000 exp, and 2s then do it again after reaching max Luminary (level 5) I would get 400 karma, 1,500 exp, and 15s and 18c.

3. Access to special events and vendors. There would be special vendors spread out throughout the world that give you special things. Food buffs, flags, tonics, etc. These could be for money and karma. There would also be special armor skins and weapon skins. Each luminary level grants you access to certain vendors and theres new vendors for each level. There are also special events that players can start only if they’re a certain luminary level and these events can drop special skins and unique things like that. Any player can participate in them, however to start them you need to be a certain luminary level.

So what do you think of it? What problems could arise from it?

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

It’s called making a new character.
Sorry, I don’t mean to be rude, but this idea literally sounds like it replicates making a new character – just without making a new character. So you may as well make a new character and use your level 80 for WvW and PvP etc.

Deified.7520

Sorry, I don’t mean to be rude, but this idea literally sounds like it replicates making a new character – just without making a new character. So you may as well make a new character and use your level 80 for WvW and PvP etc.

Thats exactly what it is except that you get better rewards. I thought about making it so that the player actually gets more downscalled than normal so that it is harder.

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

When you make a new character, you don’t get better loot or gold or harder difficulty.

Sounds like a cool idea.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Would increase inflation in top tier goods by more than 250%. New players may as well not even bother with the game.

The problem (or core of) with the economy now is that almost the entire reward system is gold based.

Deified.7520

Would increase inflation in top tier goods by more than 250%. New players may as well not even bother with the game.

The problem (or core of) with the economy now is that almost the entire reward system is gold based.

Something I notice is that a lot of people say that dynamic rewards just aren’t good enough. It was something I was trying to solve with an increase in gold reward.

Also why would it increase the inflation of top tier goods? Sorry I’m not too familiar with economics.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Something I notice is that a lot of people say that dynamic rewards just aren’t good enough. It was something I was trying to solve with an increase in gold reward.

Also why would it increase the inflation of top tier goods? Sorry I’m not too familiar with economics.

An increase in the availability of gold would cause the value of it to decrease, therefor things bought with it increase in gold cost. This would include gems. It’s a type of vertical progression…but with the economy.

There needs to be a move away from the gold gets you everything approach to the economy and a move towards doing content gets you rewards. For example instead of increasing gold/karma/ or experience on successful world completions after the first, just give people a precursor, or a couple ascended pieces. Or some other unique but equivalent set, or rare dyes, or unique dance moves, or emotes, or etc etc etc.

Would fulfill the same need in the player base but not affect the economy too much……..except for the people who are currently hoarding the precursors.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Not sure about “top tier goods” but you’re basically going to have a bunch of people grind through map completion 5 times, get 250% more gold for events, and thus inject the economy with all that extra gold, causing inflation.

Then, new players, or people who don’t have time to grind out 5x map completion, are going to be shut out of the inflated economy because they can’t earn as much until they put in the many hours it would take to catch up.

If you want to increase dynamic event rewards, they should just increase them flat out by some small amount. By the way, I’m not sure but doesn’t food buff affect dynamic event reward? If not, maybe it should.

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

sorry, but id rather do the entire map completion with 5 different chars with 5 different classes with 5 different gameplay experiences than have to do it with my main char 5 times in a row, over and over again…just to get my self a little bit more gold( can do dungeons for gold) karma ( not much you can buy for it atm..and i still have plenty of it left even after i bought obsi shards) and mf(plenty of ways of getting luck ).

This Luminary mode promotes having 1 char and sticking with it ,rather than having alts and here is why:

If this was a real thing, and if the rewards would be totaly worth it, then eventually (with time) you will have a game full of the same chars with the same luminary armor set.

Cause ,again, if the rewards were so awesome to go for luminary (5 times….) why would i possibly create a new character with a new class i haven’t played yet?

Id just pick a class i like the most, stick with it and do the entire game 5 times…..

Not to mention not trying to try out the other races,personal story combinations and race armors.

New races and new personal story lines and picking the other decision you havent done last time is what gives this game replayabilty, not a reset button for your lvl and map for your main character