Idea: "Mystic" Profession (derv/rit hybrid)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Skystalker.2758

Skystalker.2758

“Bolstered by the blessings of the gods, these holy warriors reap the benefits of multiple Enchantments. With a sharpened scythe, the Dervish can unleash a whirlwind of destruction.” -GW1 Dervish description-

“A living conduit to the Spirit world, the Ritualist spawns powerful Spirit allies that inflict harm on foes, and can channel restorative magic that heals and protects injured companions.” – GW1 Ritualist Description

This is my idea for a new proffession based on a hybrid between the Dervish and the Ritualist in GW1.

The Mystic would be skilled with the use of both magic and martial weapons.

[Greatsword, Longbow, Staff, Mace (main hand only), Sword (main hand only), Dagger (both hands), Scepter, and focus]

The Mystic would wear light armor but would gain a % defense bonus while enchanted based on the level of Mysticism

-skills-

Enchantments would be split into three types.

Restoration enchantments would be utility skills that grant minor defensive and healing effects to the mystic while active and grant boons to the mystic and nearby allies when they end.

Channeled enchantments would be utility skills that provide minor offensive boosts while active and have a significant aoe damage or control effect when they end.

Flash enchantments would be the profession skills and would add effects to the mystic’s attacks. I.E. 1-vulnerability, 2-chill, 3-life steal

Reaping would be a weapon skill that removes one enchantment from the mystic for a weapon specific effect. Reaping would also grant the end benefits of the enchantment removed. Reaping skills would have very short cooldowns but would require an active enchantment to execute.

Spirits would be the Mystic’s “pet” utility skills that apply conditions when they attack. (unlike rit spirits in GW1, these would follow you)

Ashes would work like Engineer’s kits and would replace weapon skills with those specific to the ashes being carried.

Mystics should probably not be able to swap weapons in combat (1 weapon set) as combining reap effects may be OP

-trait lines-

Blade Mastery – Power/condition dmg – traits add damage and effects to bladed weapons (sword/greatsword/daggers)

Channeling Magic – crit chance/dmg – traits add damage and effects to scepter and focus and buff channeled enchantments and add passive offensive buffs while carrying ashes

Communing – toughness/condition duration – traits add damage, defense, and other effects to spirits and passive defensive buffs while carrying ashes

Restoration Magic – vitality/healing power – traits add effects to staff and restoration enchantments and add passive support buffs while carrying ashes

Mysticism – dmg reduction while enchanted and boon duration – traits add bonuses to enchantments and passive buffs while enchanted.

I look forward to your feedback.

(edited by Skystalker.2758)

Posted by: Chaos.3597

Chaos.3597

The only reason I don’t agree is fact that these two classes were my favourite in GW1 and according to me they deserve to be a rightful separate classes in GW2

Posted by: Skystalker.2758

Skystalker.2758

The only reason I don’t agree is fact that these two classes were my favourite in GW1 and according to me they deserve to be a rightful separate classes in GW2

They were mine as well, and while I agree with your sentiment, it is far more likely that we’ll get a hybrid of two classes than either derv or rit alone

Posted by: SixtyandEighty.7394

SixtyandEighty.7394

I had 3 ideas of my own. These are some weird ones. Also, isn’t mystic kinda close to mesmer? Here are my ideas (I haven’t done anything about the trait lines or individual weapon skills)

GW2 Class ideas

Changeling: Interacts with wild juvenile animals in the same way as ranger, but instead learns their forms to be transformed into. For example: the changeling interacts with a polar bear, they are then able to use F1 to transform into a polar bear,and are then able to use the 4 abilities that the polar bear pet has, along with 1 more (for slot 5). F1 can be the return button. Changes to health upon transformation are the same as the scaling from the ranger’s health to their pet’s. Some utility skills would change based on the general classification of the animal (general classification meaning porcine and avian, rather than boar and owl). Being downed would revert changeling to human. Would work the same way underwater, with different morph choices. Heavy armour (the armour upgrade over ranger is justified by the fact that, unlike ranger, they’ll be the ones taking hits, rather than their pet).

Salvager: Accumulates scrap (unsure of how, perhaps getting kills, by attacking or automatically?), which is used to create any of 4 environmental weapons using F1, F2, F3, and F4. The weapons that can be created change based on the 3 equipped utility skills and healing skill. These weapons might include such things as portable mortar, to be placed on the ground and fired, consumables (like elixir of heroes and plasma) and plain weapons like the plank. The complexity of the created object would change its build time and its cost in scrap (a mortar would take longer to create and utilise more materials than a humble plank). The weapon is placed in the salvager’s hands rather than on the ground. Can also drop all created weapons for team mates to use, not just the ones which can already be dropped, such as the plank (I think). Weapons would expire based on the number of hits dealt not by a chance on each hit (like the elementalist’s conjured weapons). Unlike those weapons, however, they would have no time limit on use. They could also be destroyed by abilities like the plank’s launch. Created weapons would not work in the same way as the thief’s stolen weapons, they would give the weapon as a bundle. The salvager has only a small range of permanent weapons, perhaps just axe (on hand only), daggers (on and off hand) and torch (off hand). Possibly also short bow. Medium armour.

Time lord: Time based abilities. Extremely powerful in 1v1 combat. F1 ability: Time warp. Allows the time lord to take themselves and their target into a different field of time and fight unmolested by other threats. Gives the caster powerful boons. Ended when the caster hits F1 again, the spell time limit elapses or either target or caster is downed. F2 ability: Temporal displacement. Charged. The caster gains stability for a time equal to the max charge duration of the spell. They are also unable to move. When the caster releases, the person being targeted will be back at the place they were when the spell started, immobilised and damaged. Any damage they dealt, conditions they applied, healing they applied, movement they made, familiars they made or fields they made, are all undone. Undoing the effects of combo fields could be difficult to code (I am actually unsure), so that could work or not work. Damage and conditions which creatures connected with the target, such as the ranger’s pets, which were already in existence when the spell began dealt or applied is retained. The target stealthing or breaking connection with the caster in some other way while the spell is being charged will cancel the effects of the spell. F3 ability: Phase shift. Charged. The caster becomes invisible, invulnerable and unable to be affected by stuns etc. while charging this spell. Upon reaching max charge, gives AOE healing in a burst. This ability also gradually heals allies in an AOE radius while charging.

Posted by: Bagel.4598

Bagel.4598

What about the Paragon and Monk → Guardian.
They were my 2 favourites, but the Guardian works fine.

Posted by: SixtyandEighty.7394

SixtyandEighty.7394

@Bagel I know what you mean.