[Idea] Portal Marker Suggestion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

I had this idea for a portal marker, since it has been asked for by many people, even with me not as a mesmer player, I can see applications for this with mesmers on my team in pvp and pve, or against them as well.

The Idea:

Unplaced exit portal:
Have a “tether” between the starting location of the portal and the player, when the player moves, there is a small animation at the player’s feet (glowing) that shows a “string” between the player and the portal’s origin.

When the string snaps/breaks/disappears then the player is beyond portal range, and the tether could grow wider or thinner depending on the players distance to the portal origin. (think: stretching rubber, etc.)

Placed portal:
The tether will show a direct link between the portal’s entrance and exit, meaning that enemies and allies can visually see the direction and general area of the other portal, allies can use this information to gauge whether it is a portal they should take or not, and enemies can use this information to try and position for potential escape paths from the mesmer, or enemy reinforcements.

Broken Link (out of range):
When the mesmer goes beyond the 5000 range, the animation below them should turn red, and the tether/string animation should break/disappear to show the player they have gone a bit too far. This information is useful to the mesmer to know the range threshold physically when placing the exit portal. Enemies can also use this information to gauge when to try and engage a mesmer who has a placed portal (if the enemy sees the red animation, they can engage the mesmer knowing they are out of range of the portal range for a quick escape)

Reference:

Attachments:

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

(edited by Zietlogik.6208)

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I love this! What a great idea!

This solves both the “troll portal” issue and the issue of being a mesmer and being unsure if you’re too far away to drop your portal exeunt.

I think the tether should only be visible if you’re targetting/mousing over the portal, to avoid graphical clutter (unless you are a mesmer in the act of making a portal).

Zietlogik.6208

This solves both the “troll portal” issue and the issue of being a mesmer and being unsure if you’re too far away to drop your portal exeunt.

I think the tether should only be visible if you’re targetting/mousing over the portal, to avoid graphical clutter (unless you are a mesmer in the act of making a portal).

I think they could use a less intrusive graphical showing for the tether, such as the leyline energy style look they have in Drytop, still very transparent, but visible.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I think they could use a less intrusive graphical showing for the tether, such as the leyline energy style look they have in Drytop, still very transparent, but visible.

My main reason for suggesting this is so that it’s easier to tell which portals are paired when there are multiple mesmers using their portals.

Posted by: Arkenbon.7301

Arkenbon.7301

This is one of those QoL/visual improvement changes that should happen, especially with all the new effects that they are working on for the expansion. Though they probably already have some art assets they could use for the effects, like the particles from blink or staff 2.

Zietlogik.6208

My main reason for suggesting this is so that it’s easier to tell which portals are paired when there are multiple mesmers using their portals.

Ah, that makes sense, but having it on mouse over would be too clunky in WvW/sPvP scenarios in combat.

Perhaps something similar to Spectral Walk from necro would work as well, just, not as neon bright.