Idea for 2017 April Fools

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: circuitnerd.5863

circuitnerd.5863

We should be able to craft a gift box where we are able to either choose to put a real gift into it or a joke gift where it blows up and downs the person you send it to when they open it. The person will never know if they are getting something nice like gold or something nasty!

Certified Gameaholic

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Two Aprils ago ANet had the April Fools airplane animation. European players made them publicly apologize on the EU forums for being so insensitive as to have an airplane animation when a plane crashed and killed a number of people a week before and 5000 miles away from where ANet is located. The next April there was no April fools joke (except for patch notes) and I’m not expecting ANet to ever have another April fools joke (except for patch notes).

So good luck with your suggestion but I think it’s not likely (except for patch notes).

Edit: added in about the April fools patch notes as pointed out by Seera.5916. Thank you Seera.5916 for bringing this up.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Toasa.1236

Toasa.1236

Two Aprils ago ANet had the April Fools airplane animation. European players made them publicly apologize on the EU forums for being so insensitive as to have an airplane animation when a plane crashed and killed a number of people a week before and 5000 miles away from where ANet is located. The next April there was no April fools joke and I’m not expecting ANet to ever have another April fools joke.

So good luck with your suggestion but I think it’s not likely.

Why the kitten they are complaining about a plane joke? Just because some stupid terrorists made an attack..

That was terrible, yes but every day happens something like that in 3rd world lands and NOBODY complains about that..

SO: make jokes about everything what u want!

Posted by: kamedin.4698

kamedin.4698

I either hope there are no April Fools Joke because they was never funny or there is a toggle that lets me turn it off.

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Two Aprils ago ANet had the April Fools airplane animation. European players made them publicly apologize on the EU forums for being so insensitive as to have an airplane animation when a plane crashed and killed a number of people a week before and 5000 miles away from where ANet is located. The next April there was no April fools joke and I’m not expecting ANet to ever have another April fools joke.

That’s infuriating. ANet didn’t plan that, approve it, design it/put it together, and get it live in under a week. They had obviously been planning on doing that before the crash. People just love to get up in arms over bullkitten.

Posted by: cyn.2157

cyn.2157

I believe the April fools “thing” will be a SAB festival going forward – they did SAB, bobblehead and airplane, but brought back SAB last year and it was really well received (and I gather they put a fair amount of effort to bring it back). I don’t know if that was officially announced, but I thought I recalled something about it being recurring now. I suppose you could consider it one of the festivals?

-Fade Nightshade (thief all the way, baby)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’d bet that ANet will start doing April Fool’s jokes again.

Near as I can tell, there have been extreme critics for just about every April’s Fool prank ANet has pulled, including the epic Gwen-chan transformation of 2009 and the gender-bending trolling of 2007.

2015 gave rise to the successful Aviator’s Memory Box and 2014 gave us the epic Bobblehead Laboratory, so I’d be willing to bet that 2016 was focused on SAB because that’s all they had the resources to do — people were working on fixing problems with HoT and getting SAB ready to be a yearly festival.

tl;dr I doubt that April Fool’s pranks are gone for good.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

I love the bobblehead’s. I bought one because of how much more fun it makes everything!

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I know it will never happen for a ton of reasons, but I want a little dragon to appear in Sparkfly and yell “there’s something in the water” just as a giant quaggan pops out of the ocean and fights us.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I think ANet will never have another April Fools. They said that SAB will come back each year during that time. Why should they have 2 holidays at the same time? I think SAB was deliberately resurrected after the 2015 fiasco where they tried to have a April fools and it blew up in their face to the point where they had to apologize on the EU forums. I bet they decided that if people were going to react like that so unexpectedly then it wasn’t worth their time to chance it happening in other years.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

I just hope its SAB w3/w4

One can hope.

Just a flesh wound.3589

If anyone wants to read it, here is the 38 page thread from this forum for the 2015 April fools, starting the day before.

Guild Wars 2 April Fools

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I bet its going to be a troll with the water dragon!

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

They did do an April Fool’s day joke this year. It was just not in game. Fake patch notes were posted since April Fool’s day fell on the Tuesday a patch was due.

Posted by: Nihevil.8024

Nihevil.8024

How was arena net insensitive for having a plane animation? They obviously wouldn’t poke fun at what happened. I wouldn’t be surprised if they had the plane animation approved and made weeks ahead of April 1st, even before what happened. What are they just going to scrap their work because of what something in real life? It’s a video game, they shouldn’t have to tip toe around real life events in order to release content, it’s bullkitten people got upset about it.

Elitism in Guild Wars 2. http://i.imgur.com/ZGnzBCI.gif

(edited by Nihevil.8024)

Just a flesh wound.3589

They did do an April Fool’s day joke this year. It was just not in game. Fake patch notes were posted since April Fool’s day fell on the Tuesday a patch was due.

So they did. But fake patch notes aren’t the type of April fools jokes we’re taking about here.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Harak.8397

Harak.8397

On April 1st 2017, anything and everything you salvage will appear as T6 leather in your bags for exactly 3 seconds before turning into what it actually is. ( anything but T6 leather )

That would be evil

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

So they did. But fake patch notes aren’t the type of April fools jokes we’re taking about here.

But to say they didn’t do an April Fools day joke is untrue, which is what you said.

Just a flesh wound.3589

But to say they didn’t do an April Fools day joke is untrue, which is what you said.

Lol. Ok.

Just a flesh wound

The next April there was no April fools joke (except for patch notes) and I’m not expecting ANet to ever have another April fools joke (except for patch notes)

So good luck with your suggestion but I think it’s not likely (except for patch notes).

I hope that settles your concerns on the subject. sorry to have forgotten about the patch notes.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I either hope there are no April Fools Joke because they was never funny or there is a toggle that lets me turn it off.

This. Bobbleheads made me literally almost throw up, Aviator was just annoying as heck. I didn’t play during both weeks after logging in and seeing what was going on.

I loved the patch notes from last year, honestly. They were genuinely funny. That said, they might not be as funny considering how very real “jokes” may be considering the current state of professions >.>

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

All of the April Fools jokes have been great. People are just far too oversensitive nowadays. We’re living in an era where 100% of everything offends a group of people somehow, somewhere, for no rational reason.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Menaki.6329

Menaki.6329

Why the kitten they are complaining about a plane joke? Just because some stupid terrorists made an attack..

That was terrible, yes but every day happens something like that in 3rd world lands and NOBODY complains about that..

SO: make jokes about everything what u want!

It wasn’t a terrorist attack, the co-pilot made a suicide with the plane and his over 200 passengers. There were also players in this game who have lost their friends and family members with that crash, and they have complained about that stupid april fool. And they were right with that. It was a bad timing at all.

Think about it, when something terrible happens in your country and many people mourn about the losses. Then a international company who have many clients in your country, comes up with a stupid joke which feels like salt in wounds, how would you or your fellow citizens would react? Everyone stay calm and relaxed? I don’t think so. Once again, it would be a bad timing.

[KILL] – Jade Quarry

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

How was arena net insensitive for having a plane animation? They obviously wouldn’t poke fun at what happened. I wouldn’t be surprised if they had the plane animation approved and made weeks ahead of April 1st, even before what happened. What are they just going to scrap their work because of what something in real life? It’s a video game, they shouldn’t have to tip toe around real life events in order to release content, it’s bullkitten people got upset about it.

And if it had happened to Americans on American soil. They would have pulled it so fast that the game would still be spinning to this day.

Just a flesh wound.3589

And if it had happened to Americans on American soil. They would have pulled it so fast that the game would still be spinning to this day.

Perhaps. But then it would be have been the US newspapers and tv and ANet would have known all about it. Not so obvious is something that happens on another continent, in a foreign country, reported in foreign languages, thousands of miles away. Do you think that plane crash got more than a front page story in Seattle on the day it happened and a page X follow up story a day or two later? Just because it was big deal thousands of miles away doesn’t mean it was even on the knowledge horizon here. Yet the people protesting made it sound like they deliberately ignored the crash and forced them to apologize for not pulling the animation.

When people spring things on you out of the blue from your perspective then you’re going to be a lot more hesitant as you never know what event somewhere in the world is so important to them that they’ll rage at you.

Which is why I think this killed April fools. If they can’t tell what event thousands of miles away is going to cause people to decide there’s a correlation then they might as well scrap it.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

That’s infuriating. ANet didn’t plan that, approve it, design it/put it together, and get it live in under a week. They had obviously been planning on doing that before the crash. People just love to get up in arms over bullkitten.

But when it comes to ‘common folk’ logic isn’t involved. People are stupid. And if you don’t treat them like they’re stupid you might step on their toes and they will react violently.

I wholly agree that the sensitivity for that april fools joke was ways out of proportion, but if the majority has their little feelings hurt, then the rest of us propably won’t see another April Fool’s Joke…

Posted by: nanael the angel.2659

nanael the angel.2659

Had posted that years ago , so time for a repost.

Options regarding the April’s fool’s day are always a nice thing.
I am sure plenty of people express their views in order to have such options for every upcoming April fool’s day.
Not everyone enjoys the same things, and that was pointed out with the bobbleheads April’s joke.
Forums are, a place for players to share their opinions after all , and I don’t see why everyone should be forced to participate in the April’s fool’s day. People have different schedules and different ways to perceive “fun”.
Do you like the joke? Perfect! , enjoy it to your heart’s content! No need to try and force everyone to see things your way though.
I am well aware Anet tends to do that since gw1 , every year on that day (and I happen to appreciate their effort) , but I admit I disliked the bobbleheads joke and the aviator’s prank was not really my shtick…. thus, options is the way to go for everyone to stay happy.
Had there been an implemented option game-wise to turn off the aviator’s effect easily, hence preventing it from acting as constant reminder of a recent tragic event for many, I doubt it would have caused such an uproar.

That… or more Super-Adventure-Box! It’s the player’s choice to participate in it, and hence I can’t see many getting upset over it. Better safe than sorry, and SaB sure is “playing it safe” for Anet .

(edited by nanael the angel.2659)