Idea for New Weapon: Greater Focus

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: dlmoore.7293

dlmoore.7293

A two-handed focus might be cool for future elite specializations. It could allow the user to utilize raw magical energy to create projectile or melee attacks. If “greater focus” isn’t a good name then maybe “primal focus”?

(edited by dlmoore.7293)

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Well what would they look like?

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

A staff. . .

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Posted by: jeezlaweez.6810

jeezlaweez.6810

A giant friggin flag.

Samuel Hart – lvl 80 Necro and 20 more toons… well. Yeah.

Posted by: Baconomics.8674

Baconomics.8674

I’d rather have some sorta glove weapon. Fisticuffs PogChamp

dlmoore.7293

That’s the other thing I was thinking of. Some kind of gauntlet would be cool. I was thinking more along the lines of the weapon the cryomancer from skyforge uses… Something that floats between the character’s hands

dlmoore.7293

I was thinking – ya know sword is to greatsword as focus is to greatfocus haha

Baconomics.8674

I was thinking – ya know sword is to greatsword as focus is to greatfocus haha

and pistol/rifle, mace/hammer, scepter/staff, shortbow/longbow. None of the offhands have something similar, not really sure what you would do with shield or torch. At the very least their should be a great-axe so that axe isn’t the only mainhand weapon without a m8.

Baconomics.8674

That’s the other thing I was thinking of. Some kind of gauntlet would be cool. I was thinking more along the lines of the weapon the cryomancer from skyforge uses… Something that floats between the character’s hands

This actually gave me a kinda cool idea. They could make a new class with a similar flavor to revenants using the power of the mists, but instead have it based around power gained from the Eternal Alchemy (maybe by using Omadd’s machine). They could be light armored and be using this energy to buff themselves while using gauntlet weapons and shooting/channeling big laser pew pews with a greater focus.

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

Or dual wield Chak focus for some sweet crab boxing!

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Lol Great Focus … what a term …

Seriously, rather give this game some real senseful new weapon types, that coplement the classes and give them either more build diversity by becoming integrated additional part of the core weapon set that the Basic Classes can use, or add them as new specialized Weapons for upcoming new Elite-Specializations of the Basic Classes which is a perfect way of easily introducing new weapon types into this game.

This game needs new weapon types like Flails, Clubs, Greataxes, like Chain Weapons(Whips, Kusarigamas, 3-Section Nunchakus) like Fist Weapons (Gloves/Gauntlets/Claws), like Throwing Weapons (Chakrams, Shurikens, Boomerangs), like Polearm Weapons (Halberds, Lances, Naginatas, Spears (rename UW Spears to Harpoons and replace Harpoon Guns with Crossbows (as both shoot bolts), but Crossbows can be used UW as like on land …)

If ANet could do this and could redesign Focus Items into “Artefacts” and “Relics” (one for 1h, one for 2h), then we would I think basically have also what the OP suggests here

Something like “Magic Tomes/Orbs” could fall then under Relics as they would be Focus Weapons that you need to use 2hs for to use them, while something like Gloves/Gauntlets are rather Artefacts, that dont need two hands, they can be used with just one hand, be it main or offhand as you wish

I’d love to play a Mesmer for example, that wields Orbs for example like this Character from Soul Calibur to cause chaos and havor that way as a Chronomancer (see attached picture), giving the Chronomancer/Mesmer a kind of “Fortuneteller Style” that predicts the future.
However somethign that could work onl,y, of mesmers as Basic class would receive that weapon as part of their Core Gameplay, or of it would replace the Shield and Shield instead would become part of the Basic Mesmer

Viola Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52ZC3wd-Aa4

I know, Beat em ups cant be really comparec with RPGs, completely different comat system ect. but it is still a inspiration for what you can do with somethign like Orbs in combat in a fantasy kind of way that would suit to GW2, especially as Mesmer that control all kinds of “Spheres of Chaos”

Attachments:

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

A giant ball mainly used for close/medium range, defense and targeted AE skills. I would prefer elite specs that used different weapons instead of entirely new ones. Focuses tend to be underused.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

dlmoore.7293

Lol Great Focus … what a term …

Seriously, rather give this game some real senseful new weapon types, that coplement the classes and give them either more build diversity by becoming integrated additional part of the core weapon set that the Basic Classes can use, or add them as new specialized Weapons for upcoming new Elite-Specializations of the Basic Classes which is a perfect way of easily introducing new weapon types into this game.

This game needs new weapon types like Flails, Clubs, Greataxes, like Chain Weapons(Whips, Kusarigamas, 3-Section Nunchakus) like Fist Weapons (Gloves/Gauntlets/Claws), like Throwing Weapons (Chakrams, Shurikens, Boomerangs), like Polearm Weapons (Halberds, Lances, Naginatas, Spears (rename UW Spears to Harpoons and replace Harpoon Guns with Crossbows (as both shoot bolts), but Crossbows can be used UW as like on land …)

If ANet could do this and could redesign Focus Items into “Artefacts” and “Relics” (one for 1h, one for 2h), then we would I think basically have also what the OP suggests here

Something like “Magic Tomes/Orbs” could fall then under Relics as they would be Focus Weapons that you need to use 2hs for to use them, while something like Gloves/Gauntlets are rather Artefacts, that dont need two hands, they can be used with just one hand, be it main or offhand as you wish

I’d love to play a Mesmer for example, that wields Orbs for example like this Character from Soul Calibur to cause chaos and havor that way as a Chronomancer (see attached picture), giving the Chronomancer/Mesmer a kind of “Fortuneteller Style” that predicts the future.
However somethign that could work onl,y, of mesmers as Basic class would receive that weapon as part of their Core Gameplay, or of it would replace the Shield and Shield instead would become part of the Basic Mesmer

Viola Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52ZC3wd-Aa4

I know, Beat em ups cant be really comparec with RPGs, completely different comat system ect. but it is still a inspiration for what you can do with somethign like Orbs in combat in a fantasy kind of way that would suit to GW2, especially as Mesmer that control all kinds of “Spheres of Chaos”

Yes I love that pic! I main mesmer and I think it would be awesome. I also love all the weapon types you listed out. The artefact and relic would be cool. I don’t really care what they’re called tbh, I would just really like to see more weapons in the game.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I think the word “focus” in the name is doing a really poor job at selling this idea, dlmoore.

The idea itself is great, and many people before have manifested interest in it, although a lot haven’t noticed what they were talking about : most of them have, as an example, proposed “Tomes” as new weapons. Others have mentioned “Flaming Orbs”, or even “Floating Skulls”.

In the end they are all just skins for the same weapon you sugest: a magical weapon that your character holds to his chest with one hand, while gesturing around with the other.

I imagine this weapon as a ranged, big damaging but slow artifact, which allows to combine various skills at the same time but with long castings and cds, needing excellent timing and smart combo planning to be used effectively.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Lol funny that no one was commenting in the thread at all a few hours ago.

I think the word “focus” in the name is doing a really poor job at selling this idea, dlmoore.

The idea itself is great, and many people before have manifested interest in it, although a lot haven’t noticed what they were talking about : most of them have, as an example, proposed “Tomes” as new weapons. Others have mentioned “Flaming Orbs”, or even “Floating Skulls”.

In the end they are all just skins for the same weapon you sugest: a magical weapon that your character holds to his chest with one hand, while gesturing around with the other.

This is a nice visual aid for the idea. And that these could all just be skins for this item type can further be expanded upon. On that note, I think giving each weapon a unique aura, like one skull having a red “bloody” aura that projects with attacks, a horned skull could project a demonic green aura while something like a tome can protect pages and floating tyrian script. Legendary versions can come with special animations for certain skills like a big skull Phantom or a magic circle under your feet.

I imagine this weapon as a ranged, big damaging but slow artifact, which allows to combine various skills at the same time but with long castings and cds, needing excellent timing and smart combo planning to be used effectively.

I’d leave it to class. Not every version of a weapon’s skills serves the same purpose.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

A two-handed focus might be cool for future elite specializations. It could allow the user to utilize raw magical energy to create projectile or melee attacks. If “greater focus” isn’t a good name then maybe “primal focus”?

Each weapon the game is a “greater focus” in the sense used here — each channels magic to create [insert type of] attack(s).

This is easily demonstrated by the use of greatswords by mesmers (illusions, confusion, shiny beams) and necros. It’s only less obvious with Warriors because that class name is archetypically non-magic in traditional RPGs. The skills used, however, aren’t easily explained without a magical component, particularly Bladetrail and Whirlwind.

Regardless, ANet has stuck to finding new uses for existing weapons; I don’t think it’s likely they’ll start introducing new ones.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: setius.3498

setius.3498

Floating magic books or other floating kitten
Yes I want.

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542