Idea for a new Map Completion Reward

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Overfly.9032

Overfly.9032

I propose the idea that a new item should be added to when you get 100% map completion:

An account bound consumable that you can give to ONE of your alts to instantly unlock all Waypoints. (No EXP given from Waypoints though)
This would be useful for 2 different situations, the first being if you want to complete the map again, you will get a head start on your second time around, and the second being if you dont want to complete the entire map again, your alt can still get around the map for World Bosses, Dungeons, Guild Missions, etc.

Each time a character completes a map, you would get an adtional consumable for your next character.

EDIT: As some of the comments below were saying, a trade off to this would be the alt you use the item on could not gain any map completion item rewards itself, this would make it more fair.

(edited by Overfly.9032)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

In your concept for this, would that then prevent the alt that uses it from getting Gifts of Exploration? If not, be ready for a lot of resistance from others.

Overfly.9032

That could be a possibility of Anet found that fair, but I just thought of it as “You already did it all once, we’ll help you a little next time” as the Waypoints are only about 25% of completion.

Honestly, it was for reason 2 in my OP that I would like it.

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

I don’t have anything against anything like this, but I don’t think that the alts that use it should be allowed to receive any map completion rewards, including gift of exploration.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Overfly.9032

That would be a fair trade, does Anet read these kind of things?

Posted by: Christopher.8049

Christopher.8049

Just the first Waypoint in each area would be enough for me

As a means of getting to places without having to walk everywhere all over again!

Signature removed by popular demand…….

Overfly.9032

Just the first Waypoint in each area would be enough for me

As a means of getting to places without having to walk everywhere all over again!

As in the Waypoint beside each portal of the map, and not all the ones in the middle? I can understand how that would be a lesser version of what I proposed and still valuable, but the point I was trying to make was you dont need to explore at all again if you didn’t want to.

Posted by: Hevoskuuri.3891

Hevoskuuri.3891

Totally agree with OP. Being able to choose between all/some waypoints unlocked and world completion rewards would be amazing.

I personally don’t care about the Gifts of Exploration, and I have 9 characters in total, of which just one has 100% completion and 2 come pretty close at around 70-90%. I would absolutely love being able to jump to world bosses or dungeons or just generally around the map with my alts, but all the running is just too much for me, after the first time I just wanna GET TO PLACES QUICKLY. Can’t even imagine the pain of someone with 50 characters (unless they REALLY enjoy visiting the same places over and over again).

I would go to extreme lenghts here and even propose a total makeover to the whole World Completion business. The first 100% completion would unlock ALL waypoints account-wide for all characters, and the map completion rewards after that would be reduced by, let’s say 30-40%. If you wanted to obtain another pair of Gifts of Exploration, you would then have to do some additional work beside the world completion. For example, split the Gift into two different items. The first item you would obtain via 100% completion, and the second one would be craftable, for example.

In any case, world completion needs a compromise. Between those who are only interested in having waypoints unlocked, and those who want to grind for their Gifts, some kind of a balance could be definitely found.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Better suggestion

Play with your first Character the game through to 100% and explore everything.

This will unlock for your account then access to a new NPC in every explorable map, which will sell to you then some map exclusive things for GOLD + KARMA

1) Explorer’s Map > Cost 5G + 100000 Karma = Unlocks all Waypoints of the Map for your Character on that Map.
2) Pathfinder’s Map > Cost 5G + 150000 Karma = Unlocks all Points of Interest on the Map
3) Traveler’s Map > Cost 10G + 50000 Karma = Unlocks all Vistas on that Map for your Charakter on the Map
4) Adventurer’s Map > Costs 200000 Karma = Unlocks all Skill Points on that Map for your Character

Total Cost: 20 Gold + 500000 Karma for a complete Map Unlock for a Character.

Your Gain: Saved Time!
Your Loss: You receive no Map Completion Bonus for the specific Maps, but you will still receive the Gift of Exploration at the very end.

This gives players with lots of Alt characters the CHOICE to either save tons of money and Karma by doing the efforts manually again, therefore receivign then all every time again the Map Rewards (which should get buffed, because the Map Rewards were since day 1 totally pathetic and are no real incentivation to go explore everything!!)

Or the player decides for it to want to save alot of TIME, because time is a very precious GOOD ind grindy as **** games like GW2 has become over the years since the introduction of ascended stuff, but can do that for the cost of losing the map specific completion rewards and for the massive costs of Gold and karma, what woudl be for the game a MASSIVE GOOD NEW GOLD & KARMA SINK, that is very easy to implement.

Now you can recalculate under these costs, how much Gold and Karma a player would have to spent to get with this method 100% completion!!

The Game has 31 Vanilla Game Maps for Completion .. 31×20G = 620 Gold + 31×500000 Karma = 15,5 Million Karma

That should be enough costs to have saved your time, but still receiving at least the 1 only item that you need for all that effort to be able to craft a legendary, while losing out all the other rewards on the way to that, while saving your time for other more meaningful things, than to repeat something boring grindy countless times with each Alt Character again and again.
Something that you have done already with your Main Character on your first Playthrough.

My much better solution would be a true WIN/WIN for everybody.
The players as like the game and its economy!
It is a complete OPTIONAL solution for everybody that puts players that want the fast way not in any advantage over players, which want to do it the slow and normal original way.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Posted by: Grover.8753

Grover.8753

Doesn’t sound good at all. You want your characters, each with their own separate world, stories and lives, to obtain access to places they’ve yet to discover. This throws immersion even further into the abyss. It takes 5-10 (max) minutes in each map to run around and grab waypoints, less if you only grab ones you need (i.e., Dungeons, World Bosses). It only saves time for lazy people. There’s no timer on map completion so you can do it as fast or slow as you want. Effort should equal reward.

If any kind of consumable was to be sold for unlocking you should receive ZERO reward, not even gift of exploration, because you did not explore. Then you can expect all those same people who purchase them to later want to make a legendary and be unable too because they were lazy. Also, if such item existed and if unlocked that way, imply a time gate to using them anywhere outside a city. Like I said, each character is unique.

Those that say, "I don’t have enough time to play for hours everyday to complete it. ", as before, there is no timer. Do it at your leisure or MAKE TIME. Take the hours you spend on twitter and FB and put it to your game. These ideas sound like nothing more than feelings of entitlement. “But I did it already. Why do I have to do it again?” YOU DON’T! There is no reason to complete map exploration! (except LEG’s which the player obviously will never make)

While were at it, I already completed the Personal Story and made Legendaries so I should be able to buy a complete story unlock and get a additional copies of my Legendaries for no effort what so ever.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Doesn’t sound good at all. You want your characters, each with their own separate world, stories and lives, to obtain access to places they’ve yet to discover. This throws immersion even further into the abyss. It takes 5-10 (max) minutes in each map to run around and grab waypoints, less if you only grab ones you need (i.e., Dungeons, World Bosses). It only saves time for lazy people. There’s no timer on map completion so you can do it as fast or slow as you want. Effort should equal reward.

If any kind of consumable was to be sold for unlocking you should receive ZERO reward, not even gift of exploration, because you did not explore. Then you can expect all those same people who purchase them to later want to make a legendary and be unable too because they were lazy. Also, if such item existed and if unlocked that way, imply a time gate to using them anywhere outside a city. Like I said, each character is unique.

Those that say, "I don’t have enough time to play for hours everyday to complete it. ", as before, there is no timer. Do it at your leisure or MAKE TIME. Take the hours you spend on twitter and FB and put it to your game. These ideas sound like nothing more than feelings of entitlement. “But I did it already. Why do I have to do it again?” YOU DON’T! There is no reason to complete map exploration! (except LEG’s which the player obviously will never make)

While were at it, I already completed the Personal Story and made Legendaries so I should be able to buy a complete story unlock and get a additional copies of my Legendaries for no effort what so ever.

Not all players care about immersion at all. Some players care about it for some characters they have and not for others.

So having one character complete world completion to unlock the ability to buy waypoints for their other characters would have no impact on the game’s fun level for them. It would actually probably increase their enjoyment.

I do think that if it unlocks more than say 1 or 2 WP’s per map that it should not grant any world completion rewards, including the Gift of Exploration.

1 or 2 waypoints isn’t going to reduce the effort needed as much as all waypoints would. And if the waypoints chosen are the ones near say world bosses, dungeons, and/or static guild mission areas, then many, if not most, players who want waypoints unlocked would likely be satisfied.

You’re missing the reason many players ask for the waypoints unlocked. It’s not to make more legendaries. It’s to be be able to play with their friends on whatever character they want without having to make the friend wait for them to run to the location – not the character that happens to have that area unlocked. This is especially true for guilds and guild missions that are on a timer.

Grover.8753

Not all players care about immersion at all. Some players care about it for some characters they have and not for others.

So having one character complete world completion to unlock the ability to buy waypoints for their other characters would have no impact on the game’s fun level for them. It would actually probably increase their enjoyment.

I do think that if it unlocks more than say 1 or 2 WP’s per map that it should not grant any world completion rewards, including the Gift of Exploration.

1 or 2 waypoints isn’t going to reduce the effort needed as much as all waypoints would. And if the waypoints chosen are the ones near say world bosses, dungeons, and/or static guild mission areas, then many, if not most, players who want waypoints unlocked would likely be satisfied.

You’re missing the reason many players ask for the waypoints unlocked. It’s not to make more legendaries. It’s to be be able to play with their friends on whatever character they want without having to make the friend wait for them to run to the location – not the character that happens to have that area unlocked. This is especially true for guilds and guild missions that are on a timer.

This already does that. You can already access areas that your character has never been by simply clicking. Is waiting 60 seconds for someone holding “W” to run to you really SO bad it warrants a consumable to rectify? Should content be accessed first before you can enjoy it? If you don’t know it exist, how can your character visit it?!

Guilds and missions? There’s a portal in Guild Hall to teleport you to puzzle. If your guild isn’t waiting for you it seems you need a better community and communication. Like I said before, collect the ones you need. Be proactive and there are no problems.

(edited by Grover.8753)

Seera.5916

This already does that. You can already access areas that your character has never been by simply clicking. Is waiting 60 seconds for someone holding “W” to run to you really SO bad it warrants a consumable to rectify? Should content be accessed first before you can enjoy it? If you don’t know it exist, how can your character visit it?!

Guilds and missions? There’s a portal in Guild Hall to teleport you to puzzle. If your guild isn’t waiting for you it seems you need a better community and communication. Like I said before, collect the ones you need. Be proactive and there are no problems.

You can’t buy the Teleport to Friends directly. You get them only from BLTC’s so some people may not have that many and may want to hold onto them for what if I need this one in the future for something more important than what I want to use it for now.

Sometimes it takes more than 1 minute to get to someone. Especially if it was a player on a new character that they tomed up to level 80 and were wanting to do the Arah dungeon with friends. Takes more than 1 minute to run from any of the racial cities or Lion’s Arch to Cursed Shore.

And I never said I was a player who would use such an item. I’m not. But other players having access to all of the other waypoints at the cost of the loss of map completion rewards does not impact me at all. Nor does a player getting access to 1 or 2 WP’s on a map for just the cost of the item, they can have the map completion rewards. I realize that other players do not care for immersion as much as I do.

Access to the Guild Hall requires HoT, I believe. Not all players have HoT. And my comment was that players should be able to play on the character they want not the one that has access to that area of the world. Including the one they made 5 minutes ago and would therefore not have access to all of the WP’s for Guild Missions yet. It’s not a sin for a player to want the ability to be able to decide if they want to buy access to the WP’s near the guild mission or if they want to huff it. Especially when they arrive or become free to join in with the guild missions past a reasonable wait time.

And again, you’re assuming that I’ve had that problem with guilds not waiting for me. I haven’t.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Why do people constantly want to remove part of the game?

If you really want to unlock waypoints in all the maps just use the Teleport to friend stones. Then you’ll have what you want with zero effort from ANet, then that the work already done with said stones.

But before you come back with stones are too expensive, how much tome and money would it cost ANet to implement the OP’s or anyone else’s suggestion? I’m going to guess more than they would like, as it would not increase income, and it would take people out of maps. I know when I’m doing map completion I do events, stop to help other players, unlock way points, and you potentially remove players from the world in that respect. ANet have said tike and time again, they want a living world, they want people out there in the world, not locked behind instanced content. That was one of the reasons that LW1 was for the most part open world.

If this was added, what would be next? Add all waypoints to HoT and LW maps? At what point would we stop? Shall we just ask ANet to add an “I win” button so we can all just beat everything and get the loot? It feels like people just want to play small parts of games these days and skip over everything else that the players fine “blocks the fun” in there minds.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Grover.8753

You can’t buy the Teleport to Friends directly. You get them only from BLTC’s so some people may not have that many and may want to hold onto them for what if I need this one in the future for something more important than what I want to use it for now.

Sometimes it takes more than 1 minute to get to someone. Especially if it was a player on a new character that they tomed up to level 80 and were wanting to do the Arah dungeon with friends. Takes more than 1 minute to run from any of the racial cities or Lion’s Arch to Cursed Shore.

And I never said I was a player who would use such an item. I’m not. But other players having access to all of the other waypoints at the cost of the loss of map completion rewards does not impact me at all. Nor does a player getting access to 1 or 2 WP’s on a map for just the cost of the item, they can have the map completion rewards. I realize that other players do not care for immersion as much as I do.

Access to the Guild Hall requires HoT, I believe. Not all players have HoT. And my comment was that players should be able to play on the character they want not the one that has access to that area of the world. Including the one they made 5 minutes ago and would therefore not have access to all of the WP’s for Guild Missions yet. It’s not a sin for a player to want the ability to be able to decide if they want to buy access to the WP’s near the guild mission or if they want to huff it. Especially when they arrive or become free to join in with the guild missions past a reasonable wait time.

And again, you’re assuming that I’ve had that problem with guilds not waiting for me. I haven’t.

I was speaking indirectly to, inferring “you” or “your” as to player. It goes back to my original post. It’s just pure laziness. “You” ,“they”, “them” ,“it” or who ever it implies want to skip all content and story in order to gain access to otherwise locked events and reward systems without making any effort to do so. NB4JAFW.

(edited by Grover.8753)

Seera.5916

I was speaking indirectly to, inferring “you” or “your” as to player. It goes back to my original post. It’s just pure laziness. “You” ,“they”, “them” ,“it” or who ever it implies want to skip all content and story in order to gain access to otherwise locked events and reward systems without making any effort to do so. NB4JAFW.

That’s why in my suggestion it should require the player has the Been There, Done That title and would only unlock 1 or 2 waypoints on a map. The WP’s near guild missions, World Bosses, Dungeons, etc. It wouldn’t remove the ability to get the map completion rewards because just 1 or 2 waypoints isn’t that much of a % of the map.

To get all of the waypoints would be extreme without the loss of map completion rewards. The loss of rewards would be the cost of having all waypoints unlocked.