Idea's If We Get Mounts In Core Tyria.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ArcanistSeven.8720

ArcanistSeven.8720

(These are just ideas and i will never expect them to do any of what i suggest but its still fun to do anyways this is a second post as i wasn’t able for some reason to edit my previous.)
The WP system is actually one of my least favorite systems in the game it makes asura gates feel useless and makes the world seem extremely small and unengaging. I had tried WoW and i love the way they do their fast travel system it makes the world feel big, fun to explore and immersive. these are just some ideas i think would be cool to have so mounts feel like they belong in core tyria.

Having mounts locked behind an expansion probably means nothing like this will ever happen unless they think it will boost exp pack sales but for the sake of brainstorming lets say its comes to the core game i think they would have to do one of these things:

1. Reduce the amount of WP in the world.
  2. Make travel WP and resurrection WP.
    Travel WP will be used for fast traveling to the map.
    Resurrection WP will be used for resurrecting but only allowing you to resurrect
    at the closest WP you’ve unlocked, for added fun make WP locked behind hearts if
    there is one nearby.
  3. Make Asura Gates Great Again.
    remove all waypoints and have 1 asura gate in each map so when you wanna fast travel to a new map use your mount to run up to a asura gate and press “F” to pay respects to open up the world map with asura gate icons so you can fast travel to them
    4.Make the world one big map(for kittens and giggle impossible with the amount of stuff in a given map and current tech).

I would love to hear what other people think if mounts were to come to core tyria and whether current systems need to change to accommodate, leave them as is or make your own idea for a system in the comments.

(edited by ArcanistSeven.8720)

Posted by: Mist.6217

Mist.6217

The devs already confirmed that mounts will be usable in core, if you go through some jps the ‘no mount’ buff pops up right along side the ‘no gliding’ one.

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

I’m going to chime in and say I think these are bad ideas.

Mounts offer some special abilities, but they don’t seem to offer significant movement speed boost over my normal run speed, as such, trying to justify removing WP’s because we have mounts would be a massive negative.

If you want to run around on your mount, that is fine, you can take further away way points and run over, if that is what you enjoy, enjoy it, but not everyone wants to run everywhere, mount or no mount.

As for what would need to change, personally.. nothing, from what I have seen, the way they were put in does not break the Core game if they were added to it.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Mounts are available in Tyria. There is no need to change anything about Tyria maps or Waypoints because mounts are not replacing other means of transportation. They are just like gliding, you can use it in Tyria if you want, but it does not matter if you do not have it.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If mounts are locked behind an expansion (as they are) then removing wps punishes all who don’t have that expansion. This is a suggestion that ignores all the f2p accounts, new accounts with PoF but without a level 80 and a mount yet, and accounts without PoF.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

ArcanistSeven.8720

Mounts offer some special abilities, but they don’t seem to offer significant movement speed boost over my normal run speed, as such, trying to justify removing WP’s because we have mounts would be a massive negative.

If you want to run around on your mount, that is fine, you can take further away way points and run over, if that is what you enjoy, enjoy it, but not everyone wants to run everywhere, mount or no mount.

As for what would need to change, personally.. nothing, from what I have seen, the way they were put in does not break the Core game if they were added to it.

if that were the case then the new maps would have alot more WP. sometimes less is more. its also not about breaking the game its whats the point of even adding them in you can just WP where ever you want.

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

If mounts are locked behind an expansion (as they are) then removing wps punishes all who don’t have that expansion. This is a suggestion that ignores all the f2p accounts, new accounts with PoF but without a level 80 and a mount yet, and accounts without PoF.

Pretty much covers why touching anything about the waypoints is a bad thing. While you may have a dislike of the WPs, for a lot of players (I won’t claim they are a majority of the base, but they are by no means an insignificant amount) do like WPs and found them to be a major drawing point.
I’ve been kittening around with BDO on and off (for little other reason than it was on sale for less than a meal at my preferred fast-food joint and the mobility in combat is actually pretty cool) and the complete lack of fast travel and total reliance on mounts means that some sixty odd percent of time online is spent AFKing while your mount moves you to wherever you needed to go (and yer kitten outta luck if there’s a boss event even a short distance away). So no, keep the waypoints the way they are. With the single caveat of finally fixing those waypoints rendered inoperable during the beginning of LS season Two.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: Alatar.7364

Alatar.7364

Like two days ago I was thinking about exactly the same.
So I agree, as it would really make the world feel not only bigger but also more alive.

~I Aear cân ven na mar

The Greyhawk.9107

if that were the case then the new maps would have alot more WP. sometimes less is more. its also not about breaking the game its whats the point of even adding them in you can just WP where ever you want.

The reason there’s barely any WPs in the PoF maps (so far) is that Arenanet is trying to force the players to use the mounts. Artificial scarcity, in a manner of speaking. We never actually needed mounts with the myriad of ways to move from place to place: waypoints, Gates, speed buffs, teleports, gliding, mushrooms, wallows, etc, etc, etc.

Yes sometimes less is more, but sometimes just enough is just enough.

Hate is Fuel.

ArcanistSeven.8720

Pretty much covers why touching anything about the waypoints is a bad thing. While you may have a dislike of the WPs, for a lot of players (I won’t claim they are a majority of the base, but they are by no means an insignificant amount) do like WPs and found them to be a major drawing point.
I’ve been kittening around with BDO on and off (for little other reason than it was on sale for less than a meal at my preferred fast-food joint and the mobility in combat is actually pretty cool) and the complete lack of fast travel and total reliance on mounts means that some sixty odd percent of time online is spent AFKing while your mount moves you to wherever you needed to go (and yer kitten outta luck if there’s a boss event even a short distance away). So no, keep the waypoints the way they are. With the single caveat of finally fixing those waypoints rendered inoperable during the beginning of LS season Two.

mount riding in BDO is nothing like GW2, GW2 is alot more engaging with there mounts and what i meant is to have 2 or 3 WP in the map and a bunch of resurrection WP. the maps themselves arent that big and the reason why BDO’s mount system is so boring is the lack of engagement all you need to do is click on town and nothing else.

Posted by: Leon de Damasco.8105

Leon de Damasco.8105

I think you are going to have zero support.
I means, if someone just stops for a second and think about your sugestions will find it very punish and Flesh resumed really well.
I am not sure if your post is a way to be sarcastic about the add of the mounts or you are talking seriously.
Asura Gates and Way Points are both desing, builded and ruled by the Asuras, why one should be better than other for you? We are no paying respect, we are actually paying money because is not free.
If ANet makes the world like a one and big (like in giant) map, how we are going to have Asura gates (emphasis in s) if we just have one giant map? Are going to have something like a bridge betwen the (actually separeted) maps? How about the maps across the ocean? Boats and ships works like WP then scratch that option. Where are you going to place that single Asura Gate? Seems to me points 3 and 4 are one against other.
I feel too many contradictions.
Gl anyway.

The Greyhawk.9107

I disagree, I do find the two ideas comparable, though obviously not exactly the same (I really should have to say that last part). But fine, lets put that to the side.
What about people that don’t have PoF? As Flesh Wound already brought up, anyone that doesn’t have PoF for…whatever reason (money issues, lack of interest, still new, etc.) they’d be up kitten creek without a paddle if your idea was implemented. People would be forced to either buy PoF or abandon the game.
The thing is, absolutely no one is forced to use WPs if they don’t want to (aside from resing, and even that’s not absolute) but we’ve already seen from last weekends Demo that PoF does force the players to use mounts in some places, the story instance in particular.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: Bunnytown.7801

Bunnytown.7801

I don’t care for this idea either. It would really screw over new players, take up valuable dev time when they should be focusing on balancing PoF, and hundreds of pages on the wiki would need to be caught up to date. All that for what gain? To have a ‘feeling’ while traveling the world? Not worth it.

I am looking forward to less waypoints in PoF, and getting more of the experience that you talk about. But that is for the expansion, leave core Tyria out of it. There is nothing stopping people like us from simply ignoring the core Tyria waypoints and traveling from the Grove to Fireheart Rise on our mounts.

ArcanistSeven.8720

I think you are going to have zero support.
I means, if someone just stops for a second and think about your sugestions will find it very punish and Flesh resumed really well.
I am not sure if your post is a way to be sarcastic about the add of the mounts or you are talking seriously.
Asura Gates and Way Points are both desing, builded and ruled by the Asuras, why one should be better than other for you? We are no paying respect, we are actually paying money because is not free.
If ANet makes the world like a one and big (like in giant) map, how we are going to have Asura gates (emphasis in s) if we just have one giant map? Are going to have something like a bridge betwen the (actually separeted) maps? How about the maps across the ocean? Boats and ships works like WP then scratch that option. Where are you going to place that single Asura Gate? Seems to me points 3 and 4 are one against other.
I feel too many contradictions.
Gl anyway.

the fourth point was a just a joke i highly doubt they have the technology to have all those assets in one big map. i dont want support for the ideas i want other peoples opinions and ideas for a better system than the wp system which i personally dislike. my ideas in the OP only work if mounts were given to everybody i know.

The Greyhawk.9107

I don’t care for this idea either. It would really screw over new players, take up valuable dev time when they should be focusing on balancing PoF, and hundreds of pages on the wiki would need to be caught up to date. All that for what gain? To have a ‘feeling’ while traveling the world? Not worth it.

I am looking forward to less waypoints in PoF, and getting more of the experience that you talk about. But that is for the expansion, leave core Tyria out of it. There is nothing stopping people like us from simply ignoring the core Tyria waypoints and traveling from the Grove to Fireheart Rise on our mounts.

It also makes sense from a lore standpoint, most of Core Tyria is well established, being where five major nations and a trade power-house of a city-state.

Hate is Fuel.

ArcanistSeven.8720

the feeling of a game matter most times when a game doesnt make you feel anything when play it you stop playing it but what i wanna know is what system would you make to replace WP dont worry about development time this just for the sake of creating ideas which is all this post is.

ArcanistSeven.8720

I disagree, I do find the two ideas comparable, though obviously not exactly the same (I really should have to say that last part). But fine, lets put that to the side.
What about people that don’t have PoF? As Flesh Wound already brought up, anyone that doesn’t have PoF for…whatever reason (money issues, lack of interest, still new, etc.) they’d be up kitten creek without a paddle if your idea was implemented. People would be forced to either buy PoF or abandon the game.
The thing is, absolutely no one is forced to use WPs if they don’t want to (aside from resing, and even that’s not absolute) but we’ve already seen from last weekends Demo that PoF does force the players to use mounts in some places, the story instance in particular.

if there are still like 3 fast travel WP in each map and tons of resurrection WP i dont see how people are screwed so what if people move faster than others thats like some classes having 25% movement increase signet but some classes dont. remember the maps in GW2 arent that big but if you had the to change the WP system to what ever you wanted it to be or would you leave it as is im curious

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Most points as to why there changes are bad were already pointed out and I wholeheartedly agree.

Here is the big one though which makes all of this nonsens, well nonsense:

“You’re assuming every player will have PoF and access to mounts, which will not be the case.”

That’s all that needs to be said to shoot down any of these rubbish ideas.

Posted by: dusanyu.4057

dusanyu.4057

the waypoints can exist in core if you want this experience you simply do not have to use them Ride your Raptor every place.

ArcanistSeven.8720

Most points as to why there changes are bad were already pointed out and I wholeheartedly agree.

“You’re assuming every player will have PoF and access to mounts, which will not be the case.”

“Having mounts locked behind an expansion probably means nothing like this will ever happen unless they think it will boost exp pack sales but for the sake of brainstorming” i acknowledge this what i want is ideas to deal with this and your own ideas.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

There is no need to remove any waypoints. If you don’t like mounts, don’t use them. If you don’t like waypoints, don’t use them. Pretty simple.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

“Having mounts locked behind an expansion probably means nothing like this will ever happen unless they think it will boost exp pack sales but for the sake of brainstorming” i acknowledge this what i want is ideas to deal with this and your own ideas.

There is nothing to deal with. Arenanet has a business and design model in place. You are literally asking for people to brainstorm about something that will not happen or is not likely to happen at any point in time.

You could have just as well started a thread about tee and have people brainstorm via what crazy ways tee could be made. Actually that might have been more enjoyable than debating player restrictive game design decisions.

You want to brainstorm, here is my take on the ideas:

- it’s never a good idea to restrict player freedoms which were already in place
- less convenience or reduction in convenience are very tricky subjects and need to be dealt with very very carefully
- the entire wp and movement system is part of core tyrias design as well as connected to other aspects like world completion

Your ideas are basically taking a hammer to a glass window and smahing it when there was nothing wrong with it in the first place.

As Neural said, if you want to not waypoint, don’t waypoint but ride your mount instead. “Problem” solved.

ArcanistSeven.8720

There is nothing to deal with. Arenanet has a business and design model in place. You are literally asking for people to brainstorm about something that will not happen or is not likely to happen at any point in time.

You could have just as well started a thread about tee and have people brainstorm via what crazy ways tee could be made. Actually that might have been more enjoyable than debating player restrictive game design decisions.

- it’s never a good idea to restrict player freedoms which were already in place
- less convenience or reduction in convenience are very tricky subjects and need to be dealt with very very carefully
- the entire wp and movement system is part of core tyrias design as well as connected to other aspects like world completion

Your ideas are basically taking a hammer to a glass window and smahing it when there was nothing wrong with it in the first place.

As Neural said, if you want to not waypoint, don’t waypoint but ride your mount instead. “Problem” solved.

thats your opinion you think my ideas are bad i think the current fast travel system hurts the game more than it helps and should be replaced. it must be so restricting making you traverse the developers world rather than skipping past it all. by not making restrictive designs you can render other content useless examples would be saints row 4 with the super powers which render vehicles pointless.
Having one elite spec at one time is restrictive design but it ensures the previous core specs are still needed. this fast travel system defeats the purpose of having a huge game world when you can just teleport kitten near anywhere you want which destroys the illusion of a big epic world.

(edited by ArcanistSeven.8720)

Posted by: Ferelwing.8463

Ferelwing.8463

You pretty much summed up what I was going to say. I’ll add that the WP system is a great system and it’s part of the reason mounts weren’t “required”. I like that they are adding to the system while not removing the WP’s for the people who don’t want to run everywhere.

Sometimes I wish there were more wp’s because if I want to get to a specific event there’s not always a wp nearby. But I’m happy with the system as is and don’t see the point in changing it. I do NOT want to “afk run” to a location just to make the map “feel bigger”, that’s wasting my time and half the time when I am running somewhere I’m constantly having to dodge fighting things that I don’t want to fight to get to where I’m going, adding more of that is NOT a plus for me.

Posted by: Ferelwing.8463

Ferelwing.8463

thats your opinion you think my ideas are bad i think the current fast travel system hurts the game more than it helps and should be replaced. it must be so restricting making you traverse the developers world rather than skipping past it all. by not making restrictive designs you can render other content useless examples would be saints row 4 with the super powers which render vehicles pointless.
Having one elite spec at one time is restrictive design but it ensures the previous core specs are still needed. this fast travel system defeats the purpose of having a huge game world when you can just teleport kitten near anywhere you want which destroys the illusion of a big epic world.

You’re assuming everyone wants the “illusion of a big epic world”, some of us just want to get to where we want to go without having to afk run to get there and not all of us want to deal with the mobs in between point a and point b. I chose GW2 over other games BECAUSE of things like waypoints. I’m ok with the new implementation on mounts but I don’t like things being taken away just because we have something new added. I like having a choice in mode of travel. I used my glider a lot in mountainous regions rather than waypoint when I wanted to but if I’m trying to get somewhere for content then I do NOT want to have to run there. I did map completion as many times as I have BECAUSE I like the convenience of the waypoint system and I would resent my wp’s being taken out just because we can now ride mounts. (Which as I recall, the reason we didn’t have mounts was because wp’s meant we didn’t need/want them in the game). Lots of people were skeptical about adding mounts because they DIDN’T want to have to run everywhere just to get to something and LIKED the convenience of just tping to the place they wanted to go. All of the points you’re making for removing waypoints are reasons that some people were skeptical or downright against the idea of mounts being added in the first place. If we’re removing the waypoints because of having mounts then I’d rather just not have mounts. (All of this is moot of course since the dev’s themselves did not want to remove waypoints to begin with and are not going to do so retroactively)

(edited by Ferelwing.8463)