Ideas for Elona

Ideas for Elona

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

It’s been awhile in the Guild Wars timeline from GW1 to 2 so some changes would logically be inevitable. I believe that the humans in the region should have their civilizations wiped out and vestiges of it existing in small tribal states and always have to worry about invasions from scorpion themed people. The main change however would be…Asuran cowboys! ^_^ Yes, think about it logically: Elona is a desert region, correct? And Asuras are very intelligent and curious so they’d want to explore it. However, there’s a Norn cowboy who is secretly a necromancer and knows what kind of powerful forces lurk underneath. He will be the most powerful raid boss ever and will work with pirates. Yes, I think a cowboy and pirate themed expansion would be perfect. The Norn would be a corrupt sheriff who also persecutes Elonans and hates the Asura encroaching on “his” turf. To solidify him as a villain that everyone will hate he will kill Agent Zrii and say, “I have had enough of your pretentious Asura drivel and preachiness little girl!” then throws her off a cliff using telekinesis.

If Trahearne isn’t killed off by then in the personal story he’d wear cowboy clothes during this arc. I think cowboy slang and speech would help spice up Trahearne’s character, maybe even retcon it.

Preferably, kill off Trahearne and replace him with a character whose voice would be similar to Dean from Supernatural since that’s a man’s voice.

(edited by Agemnon.4608)

Ideas for Elona

Posted by: vanderwolf.7084

vanderwolf.7084

The only thing I disagree with is your idea on the state of elona. That’s been established. Palawa jokos undead army fought off zhaitans minions. He dammed the river to prevent trade and did cause a sort of famine.

If people resist him he kills them, but other than that he seems to be more of a dictator. He needs people to rule so for the most part I feel like he would mostly allow the humans to thrive.

We know the order of whispers can come and go to and from elona. So there’s probably some sort of settlement there that is relatively free of palawas grip.

I honestly hope we see Elona sooner than later, I like it better than Cantha.

Ideas for Elona

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

[…] Elona is a desert region, correct? […]

In Guild Wars 1, not entirely. Parts of Elona are desert. For instance, the Crystal Desert? That’s a desert. Elona was essentially Guild Wars Africa which meant it had a wide range of biomes. There were deserts, but there were also plains and lush, verdant areas. In addition to this was the Desolation, which was kind of like a desert visually except it will kill you if you touch it. However, considering that Joko dammed the Elon it remains to be seen how the ecosystems of the Vabbi and Kourna would have been impacted. Istan would have been unaffected by this given that it’s an island chain.

Ideas for Elona

Agemnon.4608

Maybe not Elona per se but maybe a new previously unexplored land? There seems to be high demand (for three years now) for an Elona expansion or patch so I figured that Asura with cowboy outfits would go well with the desert theme since it sounds cute. Pirates always seemed thematic yet somewhat periphery in Guild Wars 2 so far so I think they’re due for taking center stage with frontier bandits who’re under the protection of a Norn necromancer sheriff (well call him Sheriff Jerome) There could be events where pirates overtake all the major hubs and cities in Tyria and pirate dialogue can be updated to reflect how afraid and jealous they are of these new pirates.

Since pirates in the Mediterranean would hang out in northern Africa (usually modern day Libya and Egypt) it seems like it could fit an Elona theme.

Ideas for Elona

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

We know the order of whispers can come and go to and from elona. So there’s probably some sort of settlement there that is relatively free of palawas grip.

first thing I can think about with sugestion like this is Sunspear Sanctuary – it had its own spring iirc and was pretty well hidden….

asuran cowboys makes no sense imo at all althouh I’d love to see Elona again – with zhaitan gone there should be an easy way to sail to istan isles….

[and then gather folks revive sunspears kill palawa yoko and attack kralkattorik from both sides (north and south) and that would already make pretty much of content :P ]

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Ideas for Elona

Agemnon.4608

“suran cowboys makes no sense imo at all althouh I’d love to see Elona again – with zhaitan gone there should be an easy way to sail to istan isles….”

It does and I’ll explain why:

Cowboy clothes evolved the way they did because they were suited to that particular kind of frontier environment, and Asura want to explore more frontiers. Besides it would be so cute ^_^ While not Tybalt tier Agent Zrii is such a good character, so her being killed off will act as a strong motivation to save and liberate the land from the evil tyrants in black hats.

“and then gather folks revive sunspears kill palawa yoko and attack kralkattorik from both sides (north and south) and that would already make pretty much of content :P "

It would be great to have raids or dungeons based off them but us beating that was a stratagem in Sheriff Jerome’s plan: by defeating them he absorbs their power with some random McGuffin whose name and form I can’t think of at the moment and actually does gain enough power to become a god. He also channels magic through his pistols.

Egypt and cowboys at first glance don’t go together but that’s because Egypt since ancient times is well established old world whereas in this era of Tyria Elona would be a new frontier again. Since both Egypt and the American Southwest are deserts a cowboy theme can work.

Ideas for Elona

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Cowboy themed Elona. Absolutely the most preposterous suggestion ever made.
At first I assumed this was a joke post, to my horror, it is not.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Ideas for Elona

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

New Race:

Attachments:

Ideas for Elona

Agemnon.4608

1.It’s always somehow funnier whenever someone’s serious.

2.It will be the Elona we all know and love, just with pirates (coast) and cowboys and western themed bandits (inland) and would only apply to the desert regions. It would be akin to rediscovering an old land so it would effectively be a frontier.

3.The Asura will still speak like Asura except for very light cowboy slang like the occasional howdy. Humans, Norn, and some Charr though would go all out with it.

4.It would give a good lore justification for introducing cowboy outfits ^_^

Ideas for Elona

Agemnon.4608

The game is largely steampunk which is 19th century fantasy. Weren’t cowboys 19th century too? So they wouldn’t be anachronistic. It’s not like the cowboys would be everywhere, the vestiges of the old Elonian civilization are living on the edge and struggling for survival against countless forces, and the (good, largely Asuran) cowboys and cowgirls give them hope. I guess no one would like vampire themed Cantha :(

Duke Freddy: “So it was you who defeated the very Sheriff Jerome who made even the gods and dragons tremble with fear! Little do you know I’m more powerful than even him!” (since he’d come later logically he’d be stronger than a previous expansion’s boss)

Ideas for Elona

Posted by: Tallybunny.4782

Tallybunny.4782

Palawa Joko ruling the land like some dystopian Big Brother, and on the fringes of civilization, steampunk pirates and cowboys struggling against the system?

Fun!

Ideas for Elona

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

“Cowboy themed”

No. God no.

Elona is Tyria’s version of Africa. Elonans have an extremely rich cultural heritage reaching back hundreds of years, very much like Canthans, and are very unlikely to have homogenized their culture the way humans in central Tyria have.

Remember that central Tyrians have lived arm in arm with a diverse group of cultures for 250 years, wheras Cantha has cast out all non humans, and Elona has been in the iron grip of a brutal undead dictator. Both of these places are far more likely to have clung to their cultures out of mandated tradition or pride than to have implemented the trappings of other cultures.

I could definately see the plains north of harathi hinterlands hitting that theme though. That’s all praries and centaur country, and it makes sense humans (and by association the other major races) would have established some sort of foothold there since it’s so close to DR.

I know people really want to see Cantha and Elona sooner rather than later, but I wouldn’t expect Elona before the “Charr expansion” or Cantha before all the dragons are dead.

Release was “The human expansion” and I doubt they’d go back to a plotline so human-centric before giving each major race a time in the spotlight and then letting everyone find out about the mysterious largos and quaggan homelands in the bubbles expansion.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Ideas for Elona

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

I’m hoping for more along the lines of indiana jones.

Ideas for Elona

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

Anet should get on this directly after they introduced the alien invaded cantha region.

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Ideas for Elona

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

“suran cowboys makes no sense imo at all althouh I’d love to see Elona again – with zhaitan gone there should be an easy way to sail to istan isles….”

It does and I’ll explain why:

Cowboy clothes evolved the way they did because they were suited to that particular kind of frontier environment, and Asura want to explore more frontiers. Besides it would be so cute While not Tybalt tier Agent Zrii is such a good character, so her being killed off will act as a strong motivation to save and liberate the land from the evil tyrants in black hats.

the first part – if you say elona has same environment as “wild west” you:
a) never seen Elona itself
b) never actually visited texas
c) both of above
Elona is nothing like “wild west” from westerns – even if we take cutting of Elon river from the continental part it will just turn into something more like sahara than steppes of texas

asurans are not starfleet – they are race of mad scientists

the only argument that holds off is that it’d look cute….

“and then gather folks revive sunspears kill palawa yoko and attack kralkattorik from both sides (north and south) and that would already make pretty much of content :P "

It would be great to have raids or dungeons based off them but us beating that was a stratagem in Sheriff Jerome’s plan: by defeating them he absorbs their power with some random McGuffin whose name and form I can’t think of at the moment and actually does gain enough power to become a god. He also channels magic through his pistols.

hey guys – am I the only one that can only read this as a piece of non-sensical rubbling that was supposed to be “cool” but in fact makes no sense?

Egypt and cowboys at first glance don’t go together but that’s because Egypt since ancient times is well established old world whereas in this era of Tyria Elona would be a new frontier again. Since both Egypt and the American Southwest are deserts a cowboy theme can work.

and you again prove you knwo nothing on the issue – cowboys would not work in egypt because egypt is a frikkin desert while cowboys are from frikkin Preries

the first one is hot without water and full of sand while the other one is big (hot) flat place with high grasses – you see teh difference?

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Ideas for Elona

Posted by: TheWorst.3687

TheWorst.3687

Sorry, but this would be awful. Elona is a mingling of African and older Middle Eastern culture, in Vabbi’s case. There’s established lore for the undead controlling the area now, and Asuran cowboys would have no place in this. It sounds like you just like the idea of Asuras in cowboy outfits, and are trying to force it into the story anywhere convenient.

Ideas for Elona

Agemnon.4608

Sorry, but this would be awful. Elona is a mingling of African and older Middle Eastern culture, in Vabbi’s case. There’s established lore for the undead controlling the area now, and Asuran cowboys would have no place in this. It sounds like you just like the idea of Asuras in cowboy outfits, and are trying to force it into the story anywhere convenient.

Not just Asura but an overall pirate (first arc) and cowboy (second arc) storyline where they’re center stage. Why are mordrem the focus before pirates get the chance? There’s established lore for the undead controlling the area but that can be worked with. A corrupt Norn sheriff could stage a coup against the undead king after the players defeat him ending up more powerful than Palawa Joko.

“Anet should get on this directly after they introduced the alien invaded cantha region.”

Vampires! :D Aliens if they ever come should be quite a ways away, maybe GW3 away. There’s lots of creative scope with aliens since they’re…well, alien they don’t need conforming to established precedent or real world inspirations. The potential for entirely new ecosystems (doesn’t need to be realistic) is vast so hopefully they won’t waste any potential there on a snow or jungle planet.

If they’re able to shatter the light barrier (not possible in real life but that doesn’t matter here) then the power gap between Tyria and the invaders would be so huge that there’d be no way players could plausibly overcome them. It goes back to Luke Skywalker being able to beat any medieval hero in a fight. Luke’s civilization is so much more advanced drawing upon thousands of years and tens of planets’ collective wisdom and knowledge for his training. Legolas on the other hand may be a magical elf with absurd reflexes (surpassing even Batman’s?) but being from a medieval society would be at a monumental disadvantage.

Ideas for Elona

Posted by: TheWorst.3687

TheWorst.3687

Please look at the overarching lore and storyline of the game, and think about this idea. It sounds like you just want it to be a completely different game, but as a compromise you’re trying to put all those ideas into GW2 as a compromise.
Pirates have always been side enemies and nuisances, whereas the Mordrem are dragon minions. You know, the big bad villains of the entire game? Honestly, it just sounds like you want the game to be Borderlands but with Asura and swords.

Besides that, not everybody is as big of a fan as the Asura as you are. I couldn’t tell you who Agent Zrii is without looking it up, and I doubt that most players care about minor NPCs. If we ever do get Elona, it should be focused primarily around the human element. It was a human land, people played human characters throughout its story, and throwing it to the other races would just be a waste. This entire idea reads like bad fanfic.

As for vampires, Guild Wars vampires already exist. That being said, they aren’t ANYTHING like human vampires. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Hopping_Vampire

(edited by TheWorst.3687)