Ideas on server population stimulation.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Duke Dark Hart.1385

Duke Dark Hart.1385

I’m from Eredon Terrace and we are a good server but we need more people to enrich our community. I was wondering if any one knew how tarnished coast became the games unofficial rp server. As well as ideas on how to stimulate server population much like the title states.

Attachments:

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Your server can create a recruitment video and post it on various forums – example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wL8pk-9Uv4

As far as being an RP server, you can’t just ‘claim’ RP status, RP has to be happening there. Host RP events, post them on the In-game Events forum and other forums (reddit is awesome), get the web radio stations involved like Gaming World Entertainment Radio @ gw-en.com, record videos of the events and post them around, things like that.

Host other kinds of events – map clears or guild missions or jumping puzzle extravaganzas or a day on a particular achievement category with instructions/help on how to do it, contest/giveaways, etc. Don’t forget to advertise everywhere

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Tarnished became the unofficial NA RP server by advertising itself as one back before launch. RP guilds posted on Guru and other sites that they were going there. Back then Guru, and probably other sites, had a list of servers and what types of groups, languages and guilds were going to each.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Fello.8673

Fello.8673

I don’t know if this has been discussed before because I rarely visit the forums but I had this idea called Underflow. We all know that when a certain map has too many players, new incoming players are sent to an overflow server. Well why can’t we have a server that combine other servers with a low population on a map to make it more lively. Almost all the time, when creating a new character, or just leveling in pve areas, I feel like I am the only one in the map. It is dead. It almost feels like a single player game when doing pve.

Its such a waste because I’m sure Anet took a lot of time to create the beautiful world of Tyria but no one to share it with. I don’t know if this is a limitation Anet has but I’ve seen it done before with DAOC and due to low populations, started clustering servers together. Maybe this is something they can explore?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I don’t know if this has been discussed before because I rarely visit the forums but I had this idea called Underflow. We all know that when a certain map has too many players, new incoming players are sent to an overflow server. Well why can’t we have a server that combine other servers with a low population on a map to make it more lively. Almost all the time, when creating a new character, or just leveling in pve areas, I feel like I am the only one in the map. It is dead. It almost feels like a single player game when doing pve.

Its such a waste because I’m sure Anet took a lot of time to create the beautiful world of Tyria but no one to share it with. I don’t know if this is a limitation Anet has but I’ve seen it done before with DAOC and due to low populations, started clustering servers together. Maybe this is something they can explore?

I was thinking about underflow servers the other day and I thought of a possible problem with them, that being the timers on the events. The meta events such as the Maw or Shadow Behemoth as examples. If people are on one server and they port to the event before it starts and routinely get put into an unknown server with an unknown start time for these events, there are going to be a bunch of unhappy people. Also, for example, I use this app to help me get events and it requires me to know what server I am on to use it.
http://www.gw2state.com/events.html#

Posted by: Duke Dark Hart.1385

Duke Dark Hart.1385

I really appreciate all the feed back on this guys so thank you very much for the response. Time to start doing some leg work and finding out who the major voices on my server are.