Ideas to repopulate the world

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

Hey guys,

My golden moments of this game were during the inital launch days. Days when I saw other players out in the wilderness. Days when I’d show a player a hidden event, puzzle, or area and watch their reaction in chat. Exploring depths of caves, saving villages, killing bosses.

It was an amazing game. Then players hit 80. They realized what they were supposed to do at 80 was a progression of gold. So nautally they each found the best way to make gold. The world become a wasteland. Dragons roamed freely. Risen invaded lands un challenged. Players farmed CoE and played WvW/sPvP. The other dungeons were populated, but making money was with CoE. Few rose to the call for heroes in the open world. Then the buffs to open world bosses came. Dragon timers became a norm. Players did the same as before, only stopping to do an occasional world boss. Then the champion buff came. What were once foes that presented a challenge to kill were quickly trampled by zerg “trains”. The game lost all immersion in the open world. What was once a vibrant land of players and activities turned into what seemed like a factory with workers trying to work as maximum capacity.

We need to fix this. Not only to give us end game players something to do that is more immersive/less grindy feeling, but also for the new players. Having these players go into zones that are void of players is bad. Very bad.

What are you ideas and/or philosophy on why these zones are dead.

Ill start it.

Why are they dead? Lack of progression. Lack of noticeable and important change on the world.

Suggestions:
1. Scale down 100%. This opens up so many options for you for future content. If you dont do that any content you add in lower zones will be insanely easy for 80s as it already is.

2. Start implementing skill progression in the zones. Not just walk up to this point and push F. Have players interact with NPCs and the world. Win the favor of villages. Defend people. Slay monsters. Find hidden areas.

3. Give special buffs that last 2 hours that you can get inside zones after doing certain events in the zones. Not only special “zone buffs”, but give players access to food buffs too. Special foods they can only get and are good (to the point where players want to get them ebfore going into lets say EB or a dungeon) in this zone.

4. Weapon crafting. Put in new weapons, but make it so you actually have to do stuff in the world instead of grinding it.
Example: Horn of the Dragon- Warhorn. Unique look. Slay 4 bosses with a special condition (lets say without dieing). The weapon can’t be sold.

5. Put in things in the home instance like player museums. Don’t call them that. Take what you did with the hall of monuments in gw1 (where you could showcase items) and do that in the instance.

I want Guild wars 2 to be the game that it was at launch. A rich and vibrant world. Not a either WvW, sPvP, or sit in LA. Dragonbrand lay waste to the citizens in the charr/ebonhawke lands. Ogres rampage through villages. Centaur and seraph fight a bloody war where many lives are lost. The slyvari fight their bretheron of the nightmare court. All these interesting things are going on around us but no one wants to look because there is no point too. Lets give them a point!

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

good examples, may i add some?

what do you think about errr …
monster knowledge proficiency?

for example, the slayer achievements
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Slayer

lets look at the first one

Bandit Slayer
Kill 1000 bandits.
“All criminals eventually meet a dark end.”

say, for players who completed “Bandit Slayer”, they unlock a new progress meter for the bandit slayer, kinda like the account wide magic find %, the new bandit slayer progress meter will be account wide. i.e. kill x amount of bandits to deal + 1 % damage to bandits.

kinda like the luck bar of the magic find
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Luck_Bar

i.e.
extra damage to bandits
1% kill 100 bandits
2% kill another 100 bandits (total 200 killed)
3% kill another 100 bandits (total 300 killed)

100% kill another 4,080 bandits (total 122,700 killed)

300% kill another 30,000 bandits (total 3,425,450 killed)

i think if someone kills 3.4 million bandits, maybe they deserve a + 300 % damage increase against them. :p

Deified.7520

good examples, may i add some?

what do you think about errr …
monster knowledge proficiency?

for example, the slayer achievements
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Slayer

lets look at the first one

Bandit Slayer
Kill 1000 bandits.
“All criminals eventually meet a dark end.”

say, for players who completed “Bandit Slayer”, they unlock a new progress meter for the bandit slayer, kinda like the account wide magic find %, the new bandit slayer progress meter will be account wide. i.e. kill x amount of bandits to deal + 1 % damage to bandits.

kinda like the luck bar of the magic find
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Luck_Bar

i.e.
extra damage to bandits
1% kill 100 bandits
2% kill another 100 bandits (total 200 killed)
3% kill another 100 bandits (total 300 killed)

100% kill another 4,080 bandits (total 122,700 killed)

300% kill another 30,000 bandits (total 3,425,450 killed)

i think if someone kills 3.4 million bandits, maybe they deserve a + 300 % damage increase against them. :p

Perhaps, but people will still clump up on zones with most bandits. Plus it will make them borderline op.

I’ve got another idea. What if they make it so that if you have less than 5 people, the chances for an exotic item to drop will increase. It will be normal 5-10 people, but if it gets 11+ the chance will decrease. Trainers will still get their mats, but for those going for a certain item or precursor it will help encourage them to spread out.

Posted by: Big Tower.5423

Big Tower.5423

Give an unique token each time you complete an even which you can turn into an laurel/1 gold/10 k glory/10 k wxp perhaps 50 tokens is a good number to turn it into this amount?

7800 hours ingame, and counting.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

I think that the best way to repopulate the world is just put every item in the gemstore

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Underflow servers.

It’s not that the world isn’t populated, it’s that 50 people are segregated amongst 10 or so servers. So instead of 50 people in one zone, you have only 5…

Posted by: Sir Isaac The Great.5341

Sir Isaac The Great.5341

Maybe make fun content? I know that would make people want to play.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Add Nicholas The Traveler back to the game.
Make him change the map every day.

Posted by: Cassius.4831

Cassius.4831

Return to the original manifesto. Remove ascended, vertical progression and grind for gear.

I’d return to play and I’d leave lurking here, at least

“Guild wars is for everybody, freedom is ascended, zerg is strength”
~ G. Orrwell, great shaman of the new flame legion, 1984 AE.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

I don’t want to be downleveled more. If I’m trying to farm T3 mats I don’t want every enemy to be a real threat, not when drop rates are so low to begin with.

Posted by: Ziwdon.3075

Ziwdon.3075

Give an unique token each time you complete an even which you can turn into an laurel/1 gold/10 k glory/10 k wxp perhaps 50 tokens is a good number to turn it into this amount?

That is a good idea. At least it would drive people to event farming…which isn’t bad I guess.

“And now we rise; And we are everywhere” ~ From The Morning, Nick Drake

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Introduce treasure hunts that gives a chest similar to a champ bag, but with a chance of a unique rewards such as new skins. Have maps drop off random mobs in the area(s).

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

the only good/viable idea to repopulate the world would be roll back the game to sept 2012.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Phy.2913

the only good/viable idea to repopulate the world would be roll back the game to sept 2012.

What would that accomplish?

Mesket.5728

re populate the world…

Ô.ô

Phy.2913

re populate the world…

Ô.ô

How? I want to hear the logic behind this.

Mesket.5728

re populate the world…

Ô.ô

Ok, get a calculator. Lots of paper, pencils, sharpeners,.. get ready to do heavy math here….

think about the game release date…. ok we are done.

(edited by Mesket.5728)

Posted by: Medieval.1679

Medieval.1679

I don’t want to be downleveled more. If I’m trying to farm T3 mats I don’t want every enemy to be a real threat, not when drop rates are so low to begin with.

You hit the nail on the head. The endgame progression actually works against anything you do to the starter and mid levels.

If you attempt to “fix” these levels, you annoy the heck out of the 80’s who are farming them; but if you don’t, you lose the ability to attract and hold the new player and those 80’s that are looking for something beyond the “rinse and repeat” nature of the game.

As with the jazzed up T3 human cultural armour on the Gem Store to make some $, they have painted themselves into a “kitten ed if you do, kitten ed if you don’t” corner of the MMO world (where they join many other slowly failing games).

Phy.2913

re populate the world…

Ô.ô

Ok, get a calculator. Lots of paper, pencils, sharpeners,.. get ready to do heavy math here….

Which is why it doesn’t make any sense.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Remember all those bear ranger bots at the launch… world did feel much more active even though they were just bots. Plus the prices were lower.

Posted by: AlphaNeonic.1925

AlphaNeonic.1925

• Add new skills and let us use signet of capture. Put those skills on champs and bosses all over the world.
  • Each zone has a unique skin that can randomly drop. Chance of drop goes up with each event you do in that zone.
  • All mobs drop level 80 mats and gear. Players now have the ability to “break down” higher tier mats to lower ones the same way we can promote lower ones to higher.
  • Every zone has a unique zone wide meta event that can happen, with unique rewards.

Posted by: ItWasntMe.7102

ItWasntMe.7102

Along with the many good ideas suggested by others here~ Anet could stop releasing new buggy content every two weeks push it back to 3+ weeks or something so there is not so much competing content for players limited game time schedules to face all the time. Too many feel rushed to complete this every two week stuff or are frustrated by the bugs that come with them, that they avoid everything other than the “necessary” things they need for their toon maintenance or desires which can only be feasibly met in dungeon path runs 80% of the time.

Posted by: Mash Hog.5672

Mash Hog.5672

I think roaming the open world needs to be harder.
Significantly increase waypoint costs, make mobs spawn and hit harder.
Make it so that to get around the world you need a half decent party.

Make it that much harder, but that much rewarding!

Gasmic > Mic Gazzy
Leader of [GASM] #ELEtism
(Retired) Commander [2500+ tPvP Matches Won]

Posted by: Ghostextechnica.3270

Ghostextechnica.3270

re populate the world…

Ô.ô

Keep trying Mesket!! I think Phy is almost there!

When I get that feeling I want… spectral healing.

Phy.2913

re populate the world…

Ô.ô

Keep trying Mesket!! I think Phy is almost there!

Going back to a pre release build/release build wouldn’t accomplish anything, unless the implication is wiping progress along with it, which would repopulate low level zones for a month, then we go back to farming Orr, and ignoring low level zones even more than we currently do. Maybe you guys haven’t quite thought this through.

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

You would need to provide incentives for people to have children.

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

I posted a suggestion aeons ago to change Dailies into a quest system that takes you through a Vista, a Skill Point, a Slay 10 Rats and maybe something else on a map in a linear path, on foot. I still hold on to it, despite some obvious disadvantages.

Anything to inject a little more life into Tyria.

I’m all for every suggestion.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

lets start with stopping the cash-shop focus and going for a expansion focus. Putting all the fluff in the game where it belongs.

Also lets change the quick but dirty into slow but good so not easy solutions as invisible walls and instanced maps, or putting mechanics in the core so it’s hard to change / fix.

Then stop the “needs to be different for the sake of it being different” into lets just try to be good, come with new unique good idea’s and improve (if needed) those that exist.

When those 3 core problems are being addressed then they can start working on new good patches content, expansions and marketing to get more people into the game / world.

Deified.7520

• Add new skills and let us use signet of capture. Put those skills on champs and bosses all over the world.
  • Each zone has a unique skin that can randomly drop. Chance of drop goes up with each event you do in that zone.
  • All mobs drop level 80 mats and gear. Players now have the ability to “break down” higher tier mats to lower ones the same way we can promote lower ones to higher.
  • Every zone has a unique zone wide meta event that can happen, with unique rewards.

These are all ideas i’d love to see. I think they should keep the crafting nodes for the lower tier mats, but I’d agree with the rest. Also said previously in the thread, if you downlevel everyone to the full extent drop rates need to go up. I also agree with this. I have 2,000+ hours of gameplay and the total amount of money I’ve made from getting exotics from drops is about 23g (6 exotics). Materials Have been a lot better since release thanks to champ bags.

Also, as said previously they’ve been putting too much horizontal progression in the game via the gem shop. So far thats been work alright, but people are starting to get bored. We need more things to do endgane and more endgame to do with each LS. The LS has been working alright so far, but its slowly turing less into about making the world feel living and a story and more into open your achievement panel and see what oyu need to do to get that one mini or that one piece of armor.

Posted by: Oniyui.8279

Oniyui.8279

You would need to provide incentives for people to have children.

Tarnished Coast is ahead of its time in this department.

Posted by: SentinelArk.5109

SentinelArk.5109

Underflow servers.

It’s not that the world isn’t populated, it’s that 50 people are segregated amongst 10 or so servers. So instead of 50 people in one zone, you have only 5…

I like this idea. Though, most likely easier said than done on Anet’s end.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

If you put all the stuff in one place all the time everybody will rush there. You get multiple overflows for that map and the rest of the world is empty.

I mentioned the gem-store before because of the fluff that is missing in the world.

In some other good mmo’s thinks you do when you reach the max number is collecting pets (that can usually be done over the whole work), level some fun craft (GW2 really need fun-crafts) what required you to get special items or recipe from all over the world. Collect mounts that are all over the world or rangers go search for special pets.

None of those examples I gave here are really possible in GW2, because most fluff is in the gem-store and the economy is gold-driven. So people will go to the one place that gets you the best gold / reward or to the latest patch from the current living story. Meaning one or 2 places are crowded and the rest of the world is empty.

I was also disappointed that at Halloween only LA was really decorated. Last year I figured they simply did not yet had the time to make those changes for the whole world but I did expect that this year. I was wrong. Hope that Winterdays will have the whole world decorated. Those thinks also mean people will rush to one place in stead of spread out over the world and thats what you want. People that are spread out all over the world. Then you see people everywhere in stead a lot in 1 or 2 places.