If Anet Re-released the Greatsaw.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

What would your reaction be if Anet re-released some of the old skins like the Greatsaw for a brief run? Would you be happy for another shot at it? Or outraged that your skin that has become ever rarer might become more common for a period of time?

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Posted by: Mega Skeleton.8259

Mega Skeleton.8259

It pretty much depends if I have the skin or not. What can I say, im selfish

[EG] is recruiting!

Posted by: Mega Skeleton.8259

Mega Skeleton.8259

Though truthfully, depends on how hard it is to obtain. If it still takes reasonable effort or luck, thats fine. But if they just gave it away, blech. Didnt they just do this with last Queens Pavillion with a bunch of skins?

[EG] is recruiting!

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Yes. Rerelease the skins!

(But make sure to give a heads up in a very subtle manner, not to kitten off the sellers..)

Posted by: Saiko.9063

Saiko.9063

I think its fine if they re-release the greatsaw skins. I rarely see anyone with the skin, In my whole time playing i have seen about 3 people with the skin.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

That’d be a nice thing.

Ultimately though, it would come down to two things:

- How reasonable is the method for obtaining it?

- Would it match well with any of my characters’ themes/aesthetics?

(edited by Nilkemia.8507)

Posted by: Arzo.8671

Arzo.8671

Personally, the only thing that matters to me is if I like the skin enough to change a character’s appearance for it. I’m not really bothered by method to attain or rarity.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’ve always been a supporter for aesthetic choices being easier for players to obtain, so I’d be happy about it. I’m not a speculator by any means, so these sorts of changes wouldn’t affect me in the slightest.

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

Wanted ghastly shield…… Should have gotten it when I could……

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I think it’s possible. Once the skins get depleted from the trading post. They’ll re-release again to boost cash shop sale.

“2 week only! Skins from past Halloween event will be available for sales through black lion claim ticket, buy your black lion key today!”… or something like that.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Once the skins get depleted from the trading post.

This will never happen.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Once the skins get depleted from the trading post.

This will never happen.

well, once it supply get pretty low. Maybe like right now.

It really is possible they’ll release it again just to boost their sales, like they did with everything else.

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

as someone who spent 1400g for it and has been brushing the poverty line since i would be kinda pee’d off if they rereleased it,
its like the season 1 living world stuff now being in the lorel vendor,
it just makes everything loose its value if you can obtain it easily later.

same thing happened with my karka back pack which we worked our butts off for thinking it has some prestige, now everyone has one.

everything should be one time only.

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

Answer: As one who received a GreatSaw drop back in Halloween 2012, I would have to say No to the re-release.

Perspective: the GreatSaw Skin is the best weapon skin in my inventory across all 5 L80 characters. It is MY Legendary Weapon. I like it not solely because it is an uniquely impressive skin but equally as much because it is very rare indeed. I have lost count of how many people have come up out of the blue, to complement me on how good it looks on my character. In contrast “Twilights, Kudzus, Bolts etc.” are a dime a dozen. I have lost interest in pursuing a Legendary because they are no longer unique. The whole reason something like The GreatSaw is so expensive is because it is so rare.

The GreatSaw is the ’57 Chevy of Guild Wars 2. Why?

1. Because it has an impressive look
  2. They only made so many of them. They did not re-release them in ’59 and again in ’62, why, because when they were done making them… they were done making them!
  3. And they are a very sought after commodity

Please, don’t cheapen the value of my only, true shiney just because someone else wants one!

As a side note: Though it does not apply in my case, lets just say someone has one of these up on the Trading Post for oh lets say 2999gp, it cost them 150gold to post it there. Now you re-release the skin and the price will plummet and they will lose their listing fee because the price will not come back up to that level again. Some of you will say hey that is the chance you take on playing the market but introducing more of a previously finite product to the market is blatant market sabotage not speculation.

tl;dr: No thank you to the re-release

Posted by: Cappy.2786

Cappy.2786

I got it after opening 10 chests.Used it.Weld it once.Now it sits in my bank.3K gold,so close yet so far.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t have it, and I don’t want it. But I do think they should re-release it. And the other Halloween skins.

IMO everyone should be able to get the skins they want. It doesn’t have to be easy, but it should be possible. It is still possible to get the Greatsaw skin but there’s a finite number in the game and it’s dropping every time one is used. Sooner or later it will be impossible to get.

Normally I’d say re-release it with the original method of acquisition so no one can claim they’re being “given away”. (Although the original was a random drop from Black Lion Chests so if you got a free key and got lucky that’s exactly what happened.)

But in this case the original method sucked. I think it’s safe to say Anet agree since it was scrapped not long after. IMO the best solution would be to make them available with black lion tickets, which is what would have happened if they had been released later on.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I know players that sunk quite a bit of gold into obtaining it that would likely NOT be happy. I kind of think it’s a gimmick skin ankitten ot impressed….and the audio can get quite annoying.

Via BL tickets would not be a bad idea (but if it comes back at 1 ticket, there will be thousands of them in game in less than a day….)

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

They really should be re-released, and this is coming from a player who had two drop, and sold them both. Not interested in the skin just don’t like seeing ANet make one stupid reward decision after another that pushes players away.

And to the snowflakes, these were an RNG drop. You earned nothing, own nothing, and have nothing to be proud of. If the skin had been gained by something more than luck of the draw, you would have an argument, but as they were nothing but the results of ANets eternally poorly handled RNG, you do not.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

It pretty much depends if I have the skin or not. What can I say, im selfish

Join the club

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I’m all for re-releasing skins. Just because someone wasn’t around at the time (or they were and still didn’t get it due to RNG bullkitten) they should still have some way of getting it (other than spending hundreds of gold on the tp). There is no skin that I currently have that I would want to be locked out for a new player (like the first sab release skins). Even if I did have say, the jetpack skin (which I still really want), I wouldn’t be (or even want to be) one of those kitten players that are so selfish that they’d deny other players enjoyment just to have the ‘prestige’.

Via BL tickets would not be a bad idea (but if it comes back at 1 ticket, there will be thousands of them in game in less than a day….)

And whats the problem with that? I bet by the next time a new GS skin released, most will probably skin over the greatsaw skin. Just because others are running around with the same skin(s), it doesn’t devalue yours. If you really liked the skin, then it shouldn’t matter how many others are running around, its you’re toon. Or if you don’t want to see them, change your graphics settings so its the generic models or even lower to just nameplates.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Release a precursor and make it a new legendary recipe. /shrug Seems on the scale of legendary already why not just make it official?

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

I’m all for re-releasing skins. Just because someone wasn’t around at the time (or they were and still didn’t get it due to RNG bullkitten) they should still have some way of getting it (other than spending hundreds of gold on the tp). There is no skin that I currently have that I would want to be locked out for a new player (like the first sab release skins). Even if I did have say, the jetpack skin (which I still really want), I wouldn’t be (or even want to be) one of those kitten players that are so selfish that they’d deny other players enjoyment just to have the ‘prestige’.

That’s one way of looking at it. Another one would be:
Even if I didn’t have say, the jetpack skin, I wouldn’t be (or even want to be) one of those kitten players that are so selfish that they’d deny other players enjoyment in having the ‘prestige’ because I’m mature enough to know that I can’t have everything
and don’t want to be an entitled bi***. Suck it up and live with it. Some things are exclusive.
That being said, I’d really like a scythe skin but guess what; I don’t have the gold.
Well, tough luck but that’s how it is.
Instead of re-releasing prestigious (due to their rarity) skins they could just regularly release new sets of limited skins that are just like the GS finite in number and impressively looking but not the same.

Everyone wins.
Boom! Mind. Blown.

(edited by Crovax.7854)

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

. Just because others are running around with the same skin(s), it doesn’t devalue yours.

Define “devalue” and from the various perspectives involved…..

It’s easy to type that but since the actual PRICE of the skin (wait…is that a “value”?) would obviously go down, the only REAL evidence either of us would possibly have does not support your claim. I don’t give a fig about being a unique snowflake in this game, but obviously other players seem to “value” it highly.

BTW, I don’t think I implied it WOULD be a bad thing, just that it would happen.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

. Just because others are running around with the same skin(s), it doesn’t devalue yours.

Define “devalue” and from the various perspectives involved…..

It’s easy to type that but since the actual PRICE of the skin (wait…is that a “value”?) would obviously go down, the only REAL evidence either of us would possibly have does not support your claim. I don’t give a fig about being a unique snowflake in this game, but obviously other players seem to “value” it highly.

BTW, I don’t think I implied it WOULD be a bad thing, just that it would happen.

^this this this
there are currently only 8 on the trading post, the cheapest of these is 3000g
having one of these greatsaws is an instant magnet for attention, it is my ultimate favourite thing i own!
forget every legendary, go to any city and you’ll likely find 10 or more people swinging twilight around, but greatsaw being unobtainable means it has immense value, worthy of its epic skin!

look at games like wow, the corrupt ashbringer and t3 armour were removed years ago, seeing someone with unobtainable items from the early years is a big “woah!” and the items are priceless. (well not priceless, people would pay more than a car for them) this is the value of unobtainable items!

one time only rewards are about the best thing for MMOs to keep people playing!

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

one time only rewards are about the best thing for MMOs to keep people playing!

Or to kitten them off that they can’t get it.

Just depends on which side of the coin you are on.

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

If any of the skins are still being sold on the Trading Post, it won’t happen.

However there could be some variations on older skins to bring them back and keep the skins different enough.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…