If Anet decides to stop giving us updates..

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

And just made all the temporary content (mini games, skins, etc) so far permanent, would you be happy?

For me, I guess I will be so long as I’m assured that an expansion is going to be released later.. I just feel like the game is missing something at the moment, and the living story updates just don’t cut it.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

They have stated (repeatedly) that from now on the living story updates are going to leave a lot more permanent content.

Weekly mini-game rotation, 3 new fractals, the election. They heard us and are already adjusting accordingly.

Granted, I’d still love an expansion; but they do seem to be listening and leaving more permanent things in the world from now on.

Posted by: Sharingandid.1540

Sharingandid.1540

I would not be happy, I like temporary events, makes items rare <3

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

I would probably actually play the game for if they stopped updating so frequently.

I have found that with the time I do have I am deciding trying to decide: finish daily and work towards monthly? Or work on event achievements? I don’t have time for both right now. It gets kinda frustrating as it is right now…at least for me.

Posted by: Sharingandid.1540

Sharingandid.1540

They said that they don’t plan to ever do an expansion.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

I mean if Anet just didn’t release any more new content or balancing or new skins anymore, and simply gives all the previous content we had permanently, how happy will you be (and for how long)? The game is pretty big if we are to include all the previous mini games, and certainly a lot of things can be done for the sake of entertainment, but would that be enough for you?

I agree with Amun Ra that new content every 2 weeks can be a bit overwhelming for some players too. And somehow, with the release of cutthroat politics and how it pales compared to bazaar of the four winds, I seem to think that quality may be compromised.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

(edited by Leo Paul.1659)

Posted by: Parlourbeatflex.5970

Parlourbeatflex.5970

Its also worth noting that alongside such comments, Anet have hinted that each update will increase in size with the fact they have dedicated teams for creating new features and ‘exciting’ content (such as maps, races etc) working hand in hand with dedicated LS teams for bringing that content into the bi-weekly updates.

As my optimistic side has been hoping for from the very start of this, it looks like we might be able to grab an expansions worth of content within the time schedule it would take to release expansions anyway. Of course, to those who hate the system already, itll be hard to see because of the fact that content will be stretched over time rather than delivered in one chunk.

Its going to be interesting to see what happens in this half of the year. As temporary content has now got a very good ground to work from (meaning teams will be able to deliver it consistently) it looks like this half will be laying the foundations for the permanent implementations.

Back on topic, it all depends how it plays out. Personally id much rather have fluff mini-games and unique event themed skins to be temporary and have those alongside meaningful perma content. Amazing dungeons need to start staying, while fleshed out dynamic events as well (meaning, a new meta event thats perma, because the LS introduced a new threat while not fully defeating it).

My ideal update would be like this (crude examples for examples sake);

LS (temp) Event – The Revival of Orr

Scholars and the priory have analysed a section of the lost parts of Orr. While the source of Orrs corruption has been defeated, they have concluded that restoration of the area can only begin in specific sites, due to the nature of the original corruption, as one scholar said; “we must hit at their weakest”. All the while surviving minions of zhaitan prepare to defend these areas to prevent the corruptions undoing.

LS Content (in chron order)
- A new orrian map has opened up, scholars from around tyria implore every adventurer to explore this new area. (perma)
- The Durmond Priory have worked with asuran technologies to use a mix of magic and science to purify certain points within Orr, players must complete mini game esque activities around the new map to aquire items used in purfication (temp)
- These items are then used at specific points within the new map that will increase the purification rate of the area. (temp)
- Undead monsters and a new zhaitan minion try to stop players from exploring and purifying, with new events that focus around these purification points. (temp)
- With help from the players key npcs finally purify the map and the next LS update brings a updated version of the map free of corruption (perma)
- This new perma map, apparently free from corruption brings other factions into the mix, looking for oppurtunites in a new land grab. (perma)
- These new factions remain a threat and new dynamic events pull together in a meta event where players are fighting a faction (im not suggesting any here because the lore is so interchangeable with this kind of idea) over land, building new outposts. (perma)
- A new dungeon is revealed (perma)

This, although unlikely any time soon, is completely viable now the LS has been set up the way it has. It could also happen to any of the already existing zones (although i tried to stay away from existing Orr maps because of PS conflicts).
This, would make me sooooooo happy.

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

The frequent, poor quality content updates have caused me to stop playing. If that same poor quality content were permanent, I still would not play.

I want fantasy content and comprehensible storytelling. ArenaNet can shove that steampunk/sci-fi/pirates/politics/merchants crap up their Gate of Arah.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

If i wanted to play a facebook game, Farmville is what i would be playing

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

i love both the survival games and the new aspect arena.. IMO it sucks one of them are going away, just… why? Why waste resources to make them if they are dissapearing anyways?

Posted by: Tychondus.4821

Tychondus.4821

i would rather they fix the copious amount of bugs than roll out meta events on weekly basis. Drowning/deceiving people in new meta event wont make problems go away. What ticks me off even more is. Every meta event i have done (southsun to cutthroat) i get those stupid chinese character drop. every single event! this is nuts. Clearly something is broken.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

i love both the survival games and the new aspect arena.. IMO it sucks one of them are going away, just… why? Why waste resources to make them if they are dissapearing anyways?

i think aspect arena will be back.

we are trying to secure a trade agreement with them, yes?

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

i just say.

The more update anet made the most they taken away from me.

I once played 2 professions, PvE and WWW

After many Patches i play one profession and only PvE.

This just to say how updates impacted my personal gaming routine.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Sorry but this is not what they said. They said they’re not working on an expansion at the moment, but they also said they haven’t decided how to processed with larger content patches in the future. An expansion could be on the table at some point.

It’s just not being worked on now.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Somehow I have a feeling this is a down right lie or massively uninformed information….

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

The frequent, poor quality content updates have caused me to stop playing. If that same poor quality content were permanent, I still would not play.

I want fantasy content and comprehensible storytelling. ArenaNet can shove that steampunk/sci-fi/pirates/politics/merchants crap up their Gate of Arah.

Let’s just say you’re right and that the content updates are poor in quality. I don’t see how having steampunk, sci-fi, and political elements is the cause of this. If anything, these elements only give more variety to the game and help differentiate it from the crowd of fantasy MMORPGs. As a corollary, having unique themes and settings increases the quality of the content.

I might be getting off topic but genres can often be crossed and the results are often good. The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin is set in a fantasy universe but focuses on political intrigue and individual character development rather than on swords and sorcery. Ok, maybe there are the swords but fantasy elements are kept almost to a minimum. Now you might not be familiar with this series of books but you might know about Star Wars. Star Wars is actually a fantasy story that happens to be set in a high-tech universe. It’s one of the most well known and beloved franchises that Hollywood has ever produced.

Now back to Guild Wars 2. The game has a very rich and colorful setting where you have humans that were in the feudal era with Ascalon that have since advanced to the Renaissance with Kryta. You have the Charr, which were almost bronze age-ish that have now reached the industrial revolution; so you have steampunk elements. The Asura have advanced magical technology because they’re intellectuals. You shouldn’t confuse Asuran technology with cyperbunk though. I guess the Norn are still stuck in the feudal era. Finally, you have the Sylvari. It’s hard to describe where they would fall in. I guess you could say that their environment fits the bill of fantasy perfectly since you can’t really compare them to any civilization we have had in the past, our current civilization, or even future civilizations. If the game had to be strictly high fantasy then you would limit the possibilities. I think a lot of people also expect a medieval setting whenever they think of fantasy and that just further limits creativity.

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

i would rather they fix the copious amount of bugs than roll out meta events on weekly basis. Drowning/deceiving people in new meta event wont make problems go away. What ticks me off even more is. Every meta event i have done (southsun to cutthroat) i get those stupid chinese character drop. every single event! this is nuts. Clearly something is broken.

You can have the best of both worlds. That’s why they have separate teams. There were far more bugs back then than there are now. Skillpoints were bugged. Personal story missions couldn’t be completed. Of course, we tend to forget that they were fixed. I personally haven’t encountered any game breaking bugs, especially not the one you seem to be describing.

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

Content isn’t what you want so it must be terrible. Got it.

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

i would rather they fix the copious amount of bugs than roll out meta events on weekly basis. Drowning/deceiving people in new meta event wont make problems go away.

This. There are bugs in the game that have been there since launch, still unaddressed.
There are features this game should have had by now (guild halls or housing, guild UI upgrades, TP UI upgrades, LFG tool), which it doesn’t. There are broken mechanics (like the way the condition cap works) which have been pointed out and discussed for months now, yet remain broken. Jon Peters, back in February, stated they were looking at ways to correct the condition cap problem, yet we’ve heard nothing since.

But the smokescreen of “new content,” with accompanying gem shop items and RNG boxes keeps coming at us, hard and fast.

(edited by Spiral Architect.6540)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Somehow I have a feeling this is a down right lie or massively uninformed information….

What Colin said in the Live Stream on Twitch was that they have not decided on how they want to do expansions – whether they are going to do traditional box style, or some type of release similar to living world. They still had things they needed to work out. Once they make that key decision, we should hear more about expansion possibilities.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.