When HOT came we got gliders
If Crystal Desert would be an expansion can we have boats that sail on sand
and we can be sand pirates?

If Crystal Desert would be an expension

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Griffin.5379

Griffin.5379

gliders are “personal” a “boat” would enable to carry more than one,
so maybe something more like a sand-windboard.

Or to kinda quote someone from another thread.
“In GW1 we used our feet to cross the Crystal Desert”

Attachments:

Posted by: Sensei Hoisen.9821

Sensei Hoisen.9821

Would be cool, and you can have your guild emblem on the sail. Maybe if you had a boat you could have sand skiing like water skiing

Posted by: Griffin.5379

Griffin.5379

We go on the assumption of lot’s of fantasy novels, movies and games that the sand in the Crystal Desert is unearthly fine, like water,
because: “normally” since there is a thing called friction you can not “glide” on the sand surface

GW2 has off course a fantasy setting so, not sure. I think you have to be careful with “magical” movement.
I mean when you make sand were boats and other things can “swim” you as player should also not be able to simply stand on the sand, also other creatures can “swim” inside the sand too.
Bottom line: have some “rules” to your magic and stick to them

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

You don’t need “sand boats” to function literally as normal boats, by having buoyancy on a liquid medium. In real life there are sail sleds that work quite well on flat sand, where people don’t sink.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: maxwelgm.4315

maxwelgm.4315

I guess it wouldnt be enough for an expansion to “only” feature the Crystal Desert; at least they should put in the other Charr homelands and/or the Scavenger’s Causeway. HoT featured all of the Maguuma Jungle, and so far only a tiny lil small map from LW, and people complained/are still complaining to death how small it was for an expansion (specially because it literally cost another full game).

Posted by: Bazompora.2635

Bazompora.2635

Don’t forget that the Tomb of the Primeval Kings should be a passageway into the Rifts again, now that Abaddon’s corruption has passed.

That said, the next frontier could be procedurally generated ever-shifting sands and rocks of the Crystal Desert, now Kralkatorrik’s dominion, moving the terrain and everyone upon it randomly about during sandstorms. Then, sand ships and everyone on board would be immune to the displacement.

Elonians who know her history are often proud to have one of their own in the pantheon.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I guess it wouldnt be enough for an expansion to “only” feature the Crystal Desert; at least they should put in the other Charr homelands and/or the Scavenger’s Causeway. HoT featured all of the Maguuma Jungle, and so far only a tiny lil small map from LW, and people complained/are still complaining to death how small it was for an expansion (specially because it literally cost another full game).

The current map only shows about half of the Crystal Desert. In GW1 it continued down into Elona, in an area known as The Desolation. I think a lot of people are assuming if we get an expansion where we go there we’ll get to explore the whole of it, and maybe go into the rest of Elona too. Or at least that a Crystal Desert expansion will open up the possibility of going there too.

But that’s exactly why I think it’s unlikely to happen. Anet seem to want to focus on the continent of Tyria this time around, so I think we’re more likely to get an expansion focused on another area of the current map.

My guess/hope is that we’re going to keep going north into the Maguuma Wastes and maybe even the Isle of Janthir (which wasn’t accessible in GW1). Or maybe get access to the Domain of Winds and some other random patches in between accessible maps if we fight Primordius (since we know the destroyers are a major threat to the tengu).

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”