If You Had a Choice Of New Class

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dr Doggs.4059

Dr Doggs.4059

If you had a choice of a new class what would it be?

The Revenant was a good start to a new class but what happened to the infamous Dervish.

A scythe born class similar to the engineer with very limited weapon selection but would be an excellent way to combat the rising amount of theifs in PVP.

Over 60% of all PvP battles contain Theif classes. Dervish is a stealthy tanky scythe class which would be a good way to combat recent updates that makes one class better than all.

What class would you choose and leave a description as to why you would choose that class?

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

You really want more stealth in the game? The most broken mechanic in the game for pvp, you sure you want more classes with it?

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I don’t think we need anymore classes because future elites can cover pretty much anything we can think up.

Having said that I would like a class/elite that is musically inclined. Say oh I don’t know a “bard” or something. Instead of shouts they could sing or play a musical instrument. I would think Mes would be a good choice or maybe Engi as well.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

Having said that I would like a class/elite that is musically inclined. Say oh I don’t know a “bard” or something. Instead of shouts they could sing or play a musical instrument..

I’ll +1 the bard! As long as it didn’t have the RSI-inducing mechanic of the EQ1 version – a four song twist, kiting 1/2 dozen Hill Giants whilst running around in circles in Rathe Mountains was… quite tiring really. Good plat farming though.

And we already have instruments in GW2 so I (perhaps naively) think it wouldn’t be too massive a jump. You could, thinking about it further, have an “attunemant” like the ele – attune to drum, attune to lute etc.

But trust me on the twisting.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

Excelsior.

As a former Bard in FF14, I liked the idea until they came up with that random archer + singer mix, so I am not sure what that would look like ingame. Mordrem running away because some Norn is bad at playing the Tuba or has a screetching singing voice? Everything else is more something for a cheap Japanese girls game, like the DoReMi anime or something, no, that’d suck.

I was (and when I look a bit to the left and right in the MMO market still am) very pleased with what we have. This is the first game ever I enjoy playing the “rouge” class, normally I am the archer or mage guy, especially the latter when being a diminutive race. But the way the Thief is executed in GW2 makes my heart jump in joy. aNet made it pretty interesting already by panning all the classes a bit so you don’t have the regular “Warrior”, “Priest” and “Fire Mage” stuff.

So, actually I don’t think we need any more. Especially the Engineer is something that is a novelty to me, and it works so well and was the icing on the cake to me.

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

1. Monk
2. Ritualist

Posted by: Khailyn.6248

Khailyn.6248

If I had to pick one it would be Priest. A mix melee or ranged caster that channels the powers of the human gods. You see priests and priestesses in game but it seems to be more of a title. While I think much of this is covered through the elementalist and thus doesnt need to be added to game at all…. each god channel gives various effects, balthazar with burning and critical attacks, melandru with roots and defenses, dwayna for healing and the elite being a transformation into a avatar of the god/goddess akin to dervish of gw1.

‘Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.’

Ashantara.8731

If I had to pick one it would be Priest. A mix melee or ranged caster that channels the powers of the human gods. You see priests and priestesses in game but it seems to be more of a title. While I think much of this is covered through the elementalist and thus doesnt need to be added to game at all…. each god channel gives various effects, balthazar with burning and critical attacks, melandru with roots and defenses, dwayna for healing and the elite being a transformation into a avatar of the god/goddess akin to dervish of gw1.

I like that! Would go nicely with my wish to see the Monk return. I don’t care whether they call the profession Monk or Priest as long as they bring back something of the kind you suggested.

As of now, they have been distributing all those aspects to other professions (Revenant, Guardian) of which all are heavy armored fighter classes. I find that disappointing. The concept of a Monk/Priest who channels divine powers is much cooler.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Excluding a scythe or musical instruments, couldn’t all this be accomplished via Elite Specs, rather than adding new classes? I think we’re done with new classes and will only see more Elites added, including more profession mechanics.

I don’t see a bard working well considering how short skills are. They’d all be playing (war)horns, too. Perhaps a bard in the party adds party-wide buffs, so there’s some sort of maintenance cost? Or you can only choose one, which represents whichever tune the bard is humming? I dunno.

Anet hasn’t yet shown any interest in adding weapons, so I wouldn’t hold out for a GW1-style dervish. That doesn’t eliminate something like a Mesmer wielding a hammer dervish-style, right?

Priest = Guardian Elite.
Ritualist = Rev Elite.
etc…

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Excluding a scythe or musical instruments, couldn’t all this be accomplished via Elite Specs, rather than adding new classes? I think we’re done with new classes and will only see more Elites added, including more profession mechanics.

I don’t see a bard working well considering how short skills are. They’d all be playing (war)horns, too. Perhaps a bard in the party adds party-wide buffs, so there’s some sort of maintenance cost? Or you can only choose one, which represents whichever tune the bard is humming? I dunno.

Anet hasn’t yet shown any interest in adding weapons, so I wouldn’t hold out for a GW1-style dervish. That doesn’t eliminate something like a Mesmer wielding a hammer dervish-style, right?

Priest = Guardian Elite.
Ritualist = Rev Elite.
etc…

Well we already do have a couple of Scythe staff skins so it wouldn’t be hard for them to simply create a Dervish Elite with a staff as the primary weapon and giving a decent looking Scythe skin for the class reward.

As for musical instruments I really don’t know. As mentioned we already do have the musical instruments in game which could be used skin wise but for which weapons I’m not sure. Perhaps just skills 6-10?

They could go corny and do something like:

1 – Short bow used for a violin or something (add a few extra strings lol).
2 – Staff hollowed out and used for a didgeridoo – imagine that!
3 – Scepter/Mace used for a Microphone.
4 – Hammer turned upside down and used as a Guitar – now that would be rocking!

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: ArcanistSeven.8720

ArcanistSeven.8720

You really want more stealth in the game? The most broken mechanic in the game for pvp, you sure you want more classes with it?

lol broken in pvp thats funny, being in stealth doesn’t contribute to contesting a point and remember its conquest not deathmatch but a guess someone who doesn’t know how to play pvp in gw2 would say that also dont forget all the reveals in the game now. if anything is broken its the amount of invulnerability in the game to counter the power creep HoT brought. I also think the amount of invulnerabilities are the reason ESL dropped GW2 because it was bunker builds sitting on point and it was boring as kitten to watch.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I could see Minstrel/Bard as a Support-focused Thief elite specialization – give them Mantras and Focus off-hand, with a change to the initiative mechanic to give it more of a cadence.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i had a concept for a monk/ritualist that uses bracelets as weapons, this profession (in GW it’s not called class) uses the spiritualistic powers from the ritualist but has Indonesian monk training and discipline.
the one thing different about this profession is that you can use both heavy and light armor but they give their own disadvantages and you can’t switch in combat and there is no hot key for it. (so quick switch isn’t a thing)

this is kinda the weapon and specialization idea, FAR from finished but it was a spur of the moment thing:
Monk/Ritualist

Weapons:
Greatsword
Longbow
Dagger
Staff
Bracelet
Sword (elite specialization)

Specializations:
Serenity
Spiritualist
Aggression
Concentration
Samurai (elite specialization)

The bracelet:
Punch -> jab -> power fist
Fist of fury
Bull storm
Grab -> smash/ground pound/uppercut/side kick
Fist of the dragon

(edited by sorudo.9054)

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

1. Paragon
2. Ritualist
3. Dervish
4. Monk

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Posted by: Yakez.7561

Yakez.7561

Revenant redesign. Compared to core classes, it is just bland. It is just sitting there, occupying char slot right now.

Dervish would never see the light, because it was based on human gods, and we have 5 races in GW2.
Ritualist most likely would never see the light too, because Anet cannot design proper minions, and they already nerfed ranger spirits.
But Paragon could be elite spec for guardian or warrior, chants could be a thing.

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Revenant redesign. Compared to core classes, it is just bland. It is just sitting there, occupying char slot right now.

Dervish would never see the light, because it was based on human gods, and we have 5 races in GW2.
Ritualist most likely would never see the light too, because Anet cannot design proper minions, and they already nerfed ranger spirits.
But Paragon could be elite spec for guardian or warrior, chants could be a thing.

Yes, sadly Dervish is indeed too based to human-lore and gods.
An alternative way could be for an example:

-Human Dervish: The 6 gods.
-Norn Dervish: The Spirit of the Wilds (Wolf, Raven, Bear etc...)
(Now for the hard part)
-Charr Dervish: Titans? Or maybe older heroes such as Pyre.
-Sylvari Dervish: Pale Tree, Vendari? Well I dunno really...
-Asura Dervish: Maybe their colleagues?

I doubt indeed Dervish will come aswell. If they make an alternative way like my example above it will be too "Cultural" difference.

I am so sad that we wont get the Paragon elite specs for either Warrior or Guardian this upcoming expansion pack

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

(edited by Alga.6498)

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

would like to see the ritualist concept from gw1, perhaps with a new ranger elite and spirits reworked.

Posted by: Yakez.7561

Yakez.7561

Yes, sadly Dervish is indeed too based to human-lore and gods.
An alternative way could be for an example:

-Human Dervish: The 6 gods.
-Norn Dervish: The Spirit of the Wilds (Wolf, Raven, Bear etc…)
[B](Now the hard part)[/B]
-Charr Dervish: Titans? Or maybe older heroes such as Pyre.
-Sylvari Dervish: Pale Tree, Vendari? Well I dunno really…
-Asura Dervish: Maybe their colleagues?

I doubt indeed Dervish will come aswell. If they make an alternative way like my example above it will be too “Cultural” difference.

I am so sad that we wont get the Paragon elite specs for either Warrior or Guardian this upcoming expansion pack

Even if it would be elite spec, designing 30 different elite forms is just impossible due to Anet lvl of laziness (just consider number of legendary armor sets, weapons, pvp and WvW maps) And balance/love for racial skills is not the strongest Anet trait.
And it is really sad, because beloved Anet trench coats were so cool on dervish…

And yea rip paragon for papaya expansion.((

Posted by: MuscleBobBuffPants.1406

MuscleBobBuffPants.1406

I definitely think if it was a new class it would have come from a new mechanic altogether, similar to the revenant’s energy that depletes over time as well as the spells that arise from choosing a god.

Heavy : A new class that forges its own weapons, and all its skills and abilities are based off that one weapon. The specs let you choose which weapons you specialize in.

Medium : The monk which uses purely hand to hand combat. They would need new animations for punching and kicking. Its a purely close combat character, more of a sustain fighter than a burst dps and it can’t stealth. Maybe has much more regenerative healing like a skale.

Light : The shaman from Everquest. A super buffer, someone that can give individual players an uber temporary buff (but it can’t buff itself) or give groups less powerful but far reaching buffs like 10+ people at a time.

And/or a magician that can summon minions from its environment. If its near a muddy terrain it can create a muddy minion or if its in a snowy environment it can create a snowy minion.

Ashantara.8731

Excluding a scythe or musical instruments, couldn’t all this be accomplished via Elite Specs, rather than adding new classes?

The whole point of this thread is to fantasize about new classes for those of us who don’t agree with some of Anet’s choices.

I, for instance, don’t want a heavy armored “Monk/Priest” in the form of a Guardian Elite Spec, or a heavy armored Ritualist in the form of a Revenant Elite Spec.

Posted by: supa suop.8026

supa suop.8026

The whole point of this thread is to fantasize about new classes for those of us who don’t agree with some of Anet’s choices.

I, for instance, don’t want a heavy armored “Monk/Priest” in the form of a Guardian Elite Spec, or a heavy armored Ritualist in the form of a Revenant Elite Spec.

I think the a monk would be great for a guardian elite spec. However, the ritualist might be better suited for the necromancer as an elite spec, but it can either way.

[SoS] PvX Thief,
The world could use more S/x Thief
FIST FLURRY! ORA!!

Posted by: Llethander.3972

Llethander.3972

Would love to see more throwbacks to GW1 (Monk/Rit/Derv) but I honestly don’t see any new classes being added to the game in the future. Monk/Rit is basically covered by Guardian – the combination of spirits (spirit weapons) and healing/support abilities – so I wouldn’t count on seeing anything like them. Dervish may come in the future as an elite spec for Revenant as, if you think about it, the Avatar system feels similar to the Legend system.

I think, at this point, we’re gonna be seeing strictly elite specializations over new classes.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

no thank you ill take tengu or w/e race really

Posted by: FairyNuff.3452

FairyNuff.3452

GW1 mesmer definitely.

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

1. Monk – maybe not identical to GW1, but close
2. Ritualist – as it was in GW1
3. Necro – revert minion summoning to like it was in GW1
-only summon from corpses
-bring back the minion army (with cap of course)
-teleport to heal via corpse
-minions degen and die (the degen timer like in GW1)
4. Mesmer – keep portal; make the rest like it was in GW1

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

GW1 mesmer definitely.

to hard to play for the 90% gw2 player quality.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: AngelDiscarnate.5489

AngelDiscarnate.5489

The Commando from the GW1 April fools thing.
>__o

I play Fort Aspenwood, I lead the 8 member guild, Sacred Storm [Strm] I am Jason Goes Mental.
I don’t raid, I barely fractal, and I suck beyond words at PvP and WvW.
But I try, and that’s what counts.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I can’t think of a brand new class that would fit in with GW2 lore, but I would have made the revenant a bit more of a magic user, featuring complete transformation into each legend as an ultimate skill with an entirely new range of abilities becoming available as a result. Oh, and better ranged attacks.

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

dervish wasn’t a stealthy class, they were tanky and used enchantments
and tons of PBAoE attacks from their whirling scythes

as for new classes, i think the current classes have most archetypes covered!
the only standout thing we’re missing is a bard, but rev kinda fills their role with
Glint giving aoe buffs around you like a bard.

we’re also missing a deathknight type class, but i don’t see much room for it now that necro has GS and can spec to become rather tanky.

maybe we could have a “Brute” class, no weapons, just fists!,
grabs and slams/throws foes, or smashes them with fists, hurls rocks, leaps around, basically Hulk class XD
or this no weapons class could spec into a “harmony” role instead to become more monk-like (Kung-fu monk like WoW/Diablo)

zealex.9410

GW1 mesmer definitely.

As the gw2 mesmer so its a perfect match

Ashantara.8731

I think the a monk would be great for a guardian elite spec. However, the ritualist might be better suited for the necromancer as an elite spec, but it can either way.

Sure, a heavy-armored Monk/Priest. Where have you seen such an abomination before, in some sci-fi setting perhaps?

I could agree on the Necromancer Elite Spec for Ritualist, although, again, this is not a thread about Elite Specs.

Agreed on all four points.

(edited by Ashantara.8731)

Posted by: Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Monk is the only one that an elite spec really can’t cover.

Ranger not enough weapon options to be a proper monk, most could forgive leather armor but the weapon limitations would be the deal breaker.

Warrior has enough weapon choices, but heavy armor and rifles aren’t monk like.

Guardian could possibly work but there’s that heavy armor problem again.

Theif not a chance this would jive at all with a monk given they already have Daredevil but the assassin type profession and pistols they would never be good for a monk elite.

Posted by: Ayuruk.3980

Ayuruk.3980

Bard would be my first choice

zealex.9410

Sure, a heavy-armored Monk/Priest. Where have you seen such an abomination before, in some sci-fi setting perhaps?

I could agree on the Necromancer Elite Spec for Ritualist, although, again, this is not a thread about Elite Specs.

Agreed on all four points.

But guardians are in essence monks so why cant a guardian go back to his root and act more like a monk while keeping core guardian traits? 1 being the armor type.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Not going to name a class but some thematics that can be better defined….

Spell Blade – Magical Melee (think a hybrid between ele and warror/mesmer)
Drain Tank/Blood Mage – Either magical or Melee, uses HP as a resource to empower skills
Companion/Summoner – Mix between Ranger and Engi. Can use pets or consume them to grant boons/auras/general goodness to itself and allies.
Lancer/Ranged Melee – Pretty straightforward here, Melee with improved reach but no cleave.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Oh my, always the same… when will people finally give up this old Dervish/Paragon/Monk wishdream BS?

Every year the same discussions… these old classes will never return in the way how they were in GW2. When will this finally get into the heads of the people????

Each of them has various clear reasons, why they will never reappear again in their old form, most of them due to class and race design reasons of GW2.
ANet clearly has removed for GW2 due to GW2 having multiple different playable races with DIFFERENT CULTURES all classes, that were simply too strong bonded to the human lore and had a touch of religion in their class design, because religion is part of racial culture and thus indiscutable not compatible with any other playable races.

Asuras, Charr, Norn and Sylvari don’t believe in the human gods, so a return of the wannabe god-Dervish with his God Avatars is completely out of question. its a way too religicous class design to be compatible with the other playsble races.

Paragon and Monk bth have meen mechanically merged into the Guardian and partwise the Warrior. If you can’t realize, then you must really have big tomatoes on our eyes!! Mostly all gameplay mechanics, of those classes that made them unique have been merged into the Guardian and the Warrior basically and the healing aspect of the Monk has been redesigned so that all classes can heal themself now, so that there would be no need anymore for specific healers (until HoT’s Druid came …)

From the old classes have basically only Monk and Ritualist a chance to return as Elite Specializations and shoudl the Monk really return as an Elite Specialization, then it won’t be at all the same as what it was like in GW1, but instead somethign completely different and for sure not an E-Spec of the Guardian, unless ANet wants to have some kind of heavy armors wearing “Warrior/Battle Monk” which fights with 2H War Clubs, but that wouldn’t fit because both base classes can use already hammers which is basically the same weapon type.
So the only martial artistic class that woudl come into question for a kind of martial arts monk would be the Thief for a hand to hand combat style monk (Shaolin)
Thats the only type of monk type, that I an think of that would work for GW2 and that could potentialy work even as its very own class type as number 10 in theory.

Same woudl be Bard, however, personally I would just like it besser to see Bard becoming one of the next Mesmer Elite Specializations.
The Bard is the Specialization of INSPIRATION from the Mesmer, there exists no class to which a Bard would fit better than the Mesmer, unlike those weird beliefs, the Thief would be the right choice for that lol

To answer lastly the question of the Thread…

If I had the choice for a completely new class, not just a new E-Spec, then I would introduce the Tamer as a unique individual Class that has the mechanic to be able to wear all 3 Armor Types and gets different Boost Effects based on which Armor Types you wear at which Body Part together with E-Specs like Dragoon (Heavy Armor Focus) (Halberd/Spear), Summoner (Light armor Focus) (Staff), Beastlord (Medium Armor Focus) (Whip), Exorcist (Mace) (No Armor Focus/Gameplay Change) and lastly Ritualist (Scepter) (No Armor Focus/Gameplay Change) as road map plan for the future.

So basically a kind of jack of all trades class, that can be individualized through the specializations either into a specific armor type so that each armor type gets via the Specs basically a 4th class, or if you don’t want to be focused on a specific armor type and keep the individualism of mixed armory with armor type based boost in regard of what you use at which body part together with different changed gameplay mechanics if you go for Exorcist or Ritualist.

Tamer = Basics/Mounts (Moas)
Dragoon = Mounts (Drakes)
Summoner = Elemental Creatures
Beastlord = Beasts (Monsters)
Exorcist = Ghosts/Demons
Ritualist = Spirits/Souls

The whole Class is basically designed around the 3 Pillars of either Mounts (Mounted Combat), Shapeshifts/Transformations or Summons and the Control of Minions/Enemy Minions

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: FairyNuff.3452

FairyNuff.3452

Gambler – Major focus on skills having additional effects if certain conditions are met, also a tree with rng focus.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

I don’t agree with minions needing corpse, except for big group skills like Aura of the lich it was a hell to get enough for a flesh wall. (and i am quite a good MM in GW1)
Also, in GW1 you had big groups walking around, in GW2 there are times where you have barely any enemy at all so in the time you need minions they are already dead.

However, i do think there should be a way to increase the amount of minions to summon, something like a mastery that replaces the secondary skill with a summon skill so you can continue to summon or a utility skill that allows you to infest the enemy, when you kill this enemy fast enough it spawns a new minion beyond the limit. (but only 5 can be active at any given time)

Maybe something like this with mastery:
-Bone minions explode by them self but you can’t control the explosion, in turn you can summon them one at a time and with every 10 levels you can summon an extra minion
-Bone fiends slow instead of immobilize, does minimal damage and can’t be controlled, in return when you summon a bone fiend there will be 2 of them after reaching lvl 70
-Shadow fiends remains unchanged
-Flesh wurm doesn’t allow teleportation, instead you can call it to your side. (and keeps following you when you run to far out of it’s reach)
-Blood fiends is unchanged (maybe a little healing boost but that’s it)
-Flesh golem is unchanged, however, when you use charge and the enemy is immune to KD and/or KB it will not charge trough it but keeps on charging at the enemy’s body.

now minion masters have a choice, more minions or more power.
(i do want the bone horror to return, one that can be summoned like minions but you can only summon more every 15 levels)

Posted by: Khailyn.6248

Khailyn.6248

Oh my, always the same… when will people finally give up this old Dervish/Paragon/Monk wishdream BS?

Every year the same discussions… these old classes will never return in the way how they were in GW2. When will this finally get into the heads of the people????

Each of them has various clear reasons, why they will never reappear again in their old form, most of them due to class and race design reasons of GW2.
ANet clearly has removed for GW2 due to GW2 having multiple different playable races with DIFFERENT CULTURES all classes, that were simply too strong bonded to the human lore and had a touch of religion in their class design, because religion is part of racial culture and thus indiscutable not compatible with any other playable races.

Asuras, Charr, Norn and Sylvari don’t believe in the human gods, so a return of the wannabe god-Dervish with his God Avatars is completely out of question. its a way too religicous class design to be compatible with the other playsble races.

Paragon and Monk bth have meen mechanically merged into the Guardian and partwise the Warrior. If you can’t realize, then you must really have big tomatoes on our eyes!! Mostly all gameplay mechanics, of those classes that made them unique have been merged into the Guardian and the Warrior basically and the healing aspect of the Monk has been redesigned so that all classes can heal themself now, so that there would be no need anymore for specific healers (until HoT’s Druid came …)

From the old classes have basically only Monk and Ritualist a chance to return as Elite Specializations and shoudl the Monk really return as an Elite Specialization, then it won’t be at all the same as what it was like in GW1, but instead somethign completely different and for sure not an E-Spec of the Guardian, unless ANet wants to have some kind of heavy armors wearing “Warrior/Battle Monk” which fights with 2H War Clubs, but that wouldn’t fit because both base classes can use already hammers which is basically the same weapon type.
So the only martial artistic class that woudl come into question for a kind of martial arts monk would be the Thief for a hand to hand combat style monk (Shaolin)
Thats the only type of monk type, that I an think of that would work for GW2 and that could potentialy work even as its very own class type as number 10 in theory.

Same woudl be Bard, however, personally I would just like it besser to see Bard becoming one of the next Mesmer Elite Specializations.
The Bard is the Specialization of INSPIRATION from the Mesmer, there exists no class to which a Bard would fit better than the Mesmer, unlike those weird beliefs, the Thief would be the right choice for that lol

To answer lastly the question of the Thread…

If I had the choice for a completely new class, not just a new E-Spec, then I would introduce the Tamer as a unique individual Class that has the mechanic to be able to wear all 3 Armor Types and gets different Boost Effects based on which Armor Types you wear at which Body Part together with E-Specs like Dragoon (Heavy Armor Focus) (Halberd/Spear), Summoner (Light armor Focus) (Staff), Beastlord (Medium Armor Focus) (Whip), Exorcist (Mace) (No Armor Focus/Gameplay Change) and lastly Ritualist (Scepter) (No Armor Focus/Gameplay Change) as road map plan for the future.

So basically a kind of jack of all trades class, that can be individualized through the specializations either into a specific armor type so that each armor type gets via the Specs basically a 4th class, or if you don’t want to be focused on a specific armor type and keep the individualism of mixed armory with armor type based boost in regard of what you use at which body part together with different changed gameplay mechanics if you go for Exorcist or Ritualist.

Tamer = Basics/Mounts (Moas)
Dragoon = Mounts (Drakes)
Summoner = Elemental Creatures
Beastlord = Beasts (Monsters)
Exorcist = Ghosts/Demons
Ritualist = Spirits/Souls

The whole Class is basically designed around the 3 Pillars of either Mounts (Mounted Combat), Shapeshifts/Transformations or Summons and the Control of Minions/Enemy Minions

its ‘out of the question’ because the other races dont believe in the human gods huh.. well.. its a good thing then that we dont have any gods in the game.. oh wait, balthazar has only been the central character since season 3 ep 1 and main baddie of ep 4. seeing is believing.

‘Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.’

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

GW1 mesmer definitely.

As the gw2 mesmer so its a perfect match

actually the gw2 version is way much easier :|

on 1vs 1 gw1 mesmer u needed to be good to kill a player, on gw2 u dont… but thats the game overall.

Reason team spikes and ganks were required, on gw2 one player can achieve t alone when in gw1 was necessary team effort and even the spike was required certain timmings.

Overall in terms of pvp was much more complicated, even gimmicks had a lrager margin to fail against non gimmicks, here on gw2 gimmicks will be the first andmajor thing to count to win a combat. ence mesmer mechanics compared with the gw1 version are far superior and much more bursty.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Personally I’d choose a bard like class.

Bards are missing in most titles and I think with the type of aesthetics already in the game it would make it a fun class.

I have to admit though that I don’t know enough about the lore.

The Revenant was a good start to a new class but what happened to the infamous Dervish.

A scythe born class similar to the engineer with very limited weapon selection but would be an excellent way to combat the rising amount of theifs in PVP.

Over 60% of all PvP battles contain Theif classes. Dervish is a stealthy tanky scythe class which would be a good way to combat recent updates that makes one class better than all.

What class would you choose and leave a description as to why you would choose that class?

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

Ritualist

I’d say dervish but we’d need the tyrian gods to be present & not…. in the state they’re in.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Archer.

I like archery. I like medium armor “skirmisher” style aesthetics and play. I am not fond of pet classes. I dislike just how much of my ranger’s performance is tied up in the class mechanic of pets.

I detest the degree to which aesthetics determines performance for ranger pets.

Posted by: Dantert.1803

Dantert.1803

Personaly I would go for DERVISH, it was amazing as a profession, I had lots of fun in gw1 and having 1 more type of weapon, also super cool as the scithe, was amazing..
My hopes to have the Dervish back day it will never die.

My second choice would be RItualist.

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

well let’s see, we got :

- a physical class (warrior)
- a technologic freak (Engineer)
- an elemental mage (elementalist)
- a psychological mage (mesmer)
- a nature focused class (ranger)
- An holy knight (guardian)
- A shadow rogue (thief)
- A life mage with a dark theme (necromancer)
- A death knight with a light theme (revenant)

I’d vote for a demonist’s theme profession then. (I kinda think that ritualist and dervish are already firmly ingrained in most of the current profession there would be nothing new to gain from this)

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Posted by: Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Two questions, what is the real difference between a Dervish and a Necromancer? From their description they seem to be an AOE Necro. In fact this is directly from the wiki: <em>No skills the necromancer offer have abilities that the dervish cannot do with their own skills or are worth investing in.</em>

What is the difference between a Ritualist and an Elementalist? With a minor addition (elite spec) you could add the urn spells to a Elementalist since they already have weapon spells.

On the Monk I’m almost tempted to accept that an Ele is already pretty much it if you go healer. Though it does severely lack martial arts style fighting attacks. I originally was thinking of the more traditional monk like a Shoalin Monks. That is a class that so far has no equivalent in the game. They would be a light armored fighter that would use a variety of exotic weapon skills to overpower opponents and avoid attack.

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

I won’t answer the question about necromancer and dervich because it will most likely lead to a bothersome debate.

Ritualists and elementalist are different. Elementalist wield the power of the element (like their name say) while ritualist wield the power of their ancestors. You could say that the ritualist focus on the “soul”. Damaging the soul, healing the soul, binding souls and wielding the power of ancient souls. But the real reason people will argue with you on that point is that in the mind of most player the ritualist’s gameplay heavily rely on summoned spirit and nothing in the elementlist gameplay is alike to that.

As for monks they were mage that focus on wielding holy power. They focused on support and had marginal offensive ability. All in all, they are closer to what guardian are now than what elementalists are. A “protect monk” could tank some nasty things even while wearing light armor.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Posted by: Panda.1967

Panda.1967

There are 3 that I’m still holding out hope for them to add with the upcomming expansions…

Dervish – class mechanic being enchantments. Each enchantment has an activation effect, passive effect while active, and a removal effect, various weapon abilities will strip enchantments for bonus effects while also triggering the removal effect. Enchantments must be manually activated and last for 30s(maybe less?) unless stripped. Utility Skill types include Signets, Stances, Auras, and Spells. Signets and Stances are no different in mechanic than existing Signets and Stances, other than potential interaction with Enchantments. Aura’s provide short term benefits to the dervish and their allies and inflict minor damage or conditions on allies upon activation/expiration. Spells are pretty much generic Utility skills with Dervish flavor to them.
New weapon type – Scythe!!!
Scythe weapon type would be made available to Warrior, Necromancer, Ritualist, Elementalist, and Revenant classes.

Ritualist – class mechanic… TBD… Weapon Skills utilize effects from Weapon Enchantments, some of which may potentially be spread to allies. Utility Skill types include Spirits, Urns, Channeling, and Signets. Spirits conjure up immobile spirits that provide various effects from damage dealing to crowd control to damage absorbtion. Urns conjure the ashes of an ancestor that floats near the Ritualist for a short period providing a passive benefit while active and can be activated again to trigger an AoE effect and removing the passive benefit. Channeling are basically generic utility skills with Ritualist flavor to them.

Paragon – Class mechanic being Chants… Chants provide passive bonuses to the Paragon and nearby allies and can be enhanced with various paragon skills, only one chant may be active at a time. Utility types include Shouts, Echos, Physical Skills and Signets. Shouts provide AoE benefits to the paragon and allies and/or negative effects to enemies while also triggering interaction with the Paragons current Chant. Echos provide benefits to the Paragon and/or affect enemies based on the Paragons current Chant (similar to Elementalist Glyphs interaction with Attunements). Physical Skills and Signets behave as usual and have no special interaction with Chants. Various weapon skills may interact with Chants.
New weapon type – Javelin!!!! (since Spear is an underwater weapon and melee, and Paragon’s used them as thrown weapons anyways)
Javelin weapon type would be made available to Ranger, Warrior, Ritualist, Thief, and Guardian.

End result – we gain 1 new Heavy, Medium, and Light armor class and two new weapon types. New weapon availability would be made baseline to the affected classes.

Not sure what the Ritualist class mechanic should be for various reasons…
1) Spirit interaction is too similar to Mesmer illusion Shttering
2) Spirit Summoning as class mechanic would severely limit the usefulness of spirits or the functionality of all other aspects of the Ritualist.
3) Urns as class mechanic would basically be identical to Guardian’s Virtues which the Dervish and Paragon mechanics are already very similar to.
4) Weapon Enchantments could work, but I honestly feel it’d be better to just integrate their effects into various weapon skills since they really don’t embody what the Ritualist is.
5) Spirits embody what the Ritualist is, but as mentioned them as the class mechanic is a bad idea…

Please stop assuming I’m a guy… I am female.

(edited by Panda.1967)

Posted by: Deihnyx.6318

Deihnyx.6318

Ritualist, Paragon, Dervish.

But unless they add a new class per armor type, which is not going to happen, I’d rather have them as elite classes.

Ritualist has to happen though. You hear me Anet? MAKE RITUALIST GREAT AGAIN

Posted by: Panda.1967

Panda.1967

Ritualist, Paragon, Dervish.

But unless they add a new class per armor type, which is not going to happen, I’d rather have them as elite classes.

Ritualist has to happen though. You hear me Anet? MAKE RITUALIST GREAT AGAIN

Personally I would absolutely HATE to see them as elite specs… there is SO SO MUCH more to each of these 3 classes than a single new spec on any of the existing classes could possibly embody… they absolutely MUST be added as new classes… and since all 3 are different armor types they wouldn’t impact the balance of armor classes the game currently has by adding them.

Please stop assuming I’m a guy… I am female.