If You Had a Choice Of New Class

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Deihnyx.6318

Deihnyx.6318

I mean… I agree but I don’t think that happening. I don’t see them adding 3 new classes at the same time and I also don’t see 3 new extensions coming up in GW2 lifetime (even though I wish so)

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

Ritualist. The end.

Posted by: lmaogg.7325

lmaogg.7325

Anything that actually make use of spears/trident ON LAND. after 5 years..

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

For the people wanting spirit-spamming Ritualists… Are you playing turret Engineers now? What makes you think Rit-spirits would be any better?

Personally, if Anet were to add professions, I would want something I’ve never done before, rather than a retread of Ritualist, Paragon, or Dervish. Something unique, like Engineer was.

I just don’t see them adding any professions, only elites.

Posted by: Panda.1967

Panda.1967

For the people wanting spirit-spamming Ritualists… Are you playing turret Engineers now? What makes you think Rit-spirits would be any better?

Ritualistic spirits provide more than just offensive functionality, infact their defensive and crowd control spirits were the most used and most beneficial.

Please stop assuming I’m a guy… I am female.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Ritualistic spirits provide more than just offensive functionality, infact their defensive and crowd control spirits were the most used and most beneficial.

Which is different from turret engi how ?

The strongest engi turrets are also the defensive ones.

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

If it’s offensive spirits mesmer already have this kind of gameplay. If it’s support spirits there is already some of this in the mesmer traits and above all we got rangers spirits that act accordingly. The reality is that a ritualist spirit spammer gameplay would be horrendous in PvP being either OP or totally ignored like what we have with the turret engineer.

All in all there would be nothing new in regard of gameplay with a ritualist spirit spammer.

Now, if we talk about the essence of the gw1 ritualist, the revenant perfectly embodied it. A revenant commune with spirits, bind these spirits and act as a medium to keep these spirit in the gw2’s world. Most than anything, the revenant use the power of these spirits to fight, support or defend itself. This is what the gw1 ritualist was doing except that he was doing it in a different fashion, leading to a different gameplay.

What would be the point in creating a whole new profession that would copy a gameplay that already exist and step onto the toes of another profession’s essence?

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Panda.1967

If it’s offensive spirits mesmer already have this kind of gameplay. If it’s support spirits there is already some of this in the mesmer traits and above all we got rangers spirits that act accordingly. The reality is that a ritualist spirit spammer gameplay would be horrendous in PvP being either OP or totally ignored like what we have with the turret engineer.

All in all there would be nothing new in regard of gameplay with a ritualist spirit spammer.

Now, if we talk about the essence of the gw1 ritualist, the revenant perfectly embodied it. A revenant commune with spirits, bind these spirits and act as a medium to keep these spirit in the gw2’s world. Most than anything, the revenant use the power of these spirits to fight, support or defend itself. This is what the gw1 ritualist was doing except that he was doing it in a different fashion, leading to a different gameplay.

What would be the point in creating a whole new profession that would copy a gameplay that already exist and step onto the toes of another profession’s essence?

The revenant does jack kitten for embodying what the ritualist was, other than minor fluff. Sure they may invoke the spirit of legendary heroes, but the experience is completely different.

Mesmer clones are still a joke. Engineer turrets are used primarily for offense.

GW1 ritualistic in PvP mostly used urns and channeling if they were going on the offensive. Spirit spammers in PvP played point defense and were kitten good at it. In GW2, it would almost certainly turn out the same way. Hell let’s look at Mesmers and Engineers in PvP since people like you just love to insist that they are the GW2 equivalent… mesmers due to the mobility of their clones go on the offensive, while turret engineers (what few remain) run point defense and help set up choke points. They aren’t overlooked in PvP they are just geared more for a role that a lot of PvPers prefer not to take since it tends to be more rewarding to be a part of the offensive.

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

You really want more stealth in the game? The most broken mechanic in the game for pvp, you sure you want more classes with it?

lol broken in pvp thats funny, being in stealth doesn’t contribute to contesting a point and remember its conquest not deathmatch but a guess someone who doesn’t know how to play pvp in gw2 would say that also dont forget all the reveals in the game now.

if anything is broken its the amount of invulnerability in the game to counter the power creep HoT brought. I also think the amount of invulnerabilities are the reason ESL dropped GW2 because it was bunker builds sitting on point and it was boring as kitten to watch.

There’s more than one pvp area in this game rolls eyes I guess you didn’t know that huh rolls eyes again
No point having ESL when all the pros left the game.

Having said that I would like a class/elite that is musically inclined. Say oh I don’t know a “bard” or something. Instead of shouts they could sing or play a musical instrument..

I’ll +1 the bard! As long as it didn’t have the RSI-inducing mechanic of the EQ1 version – a four song twist, kiting 1/2 dozen Hill Giants whilst running around in circles in Rathe Mountains was… quite tiring really. Good plat farming though.

And we already have instruments in GW2 so I (perhaps naively) think it wouldn’t be too massive a jump. You could, thinking about it further, have an “attunemant” like the ele – attune to drum, attune to lute etc.

But trust me on the twisting.

I +1 for bard too, which would have to use focus (guess why :P ) but that rules out a lot of classes, or warhorn for it’s weapon which only leaves mesmer for an elite spec if warhorn, otherwise would have to make a brand new class. Could attach it to revenant as a legendary stance for facet type skills, but the way I see a bard should be is basically what the legendary dragon stance is already like, without having to spam twist the skills to maintain the buffs like eq1 lol.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

The revenant does jack kitten for embodying what the ritualist was, other than minor fluff. Sure they may invoke the spirit of legendary heroes, but the experience is completely different.

That’s exactly what I said. In essence they do what the ritualist were doing but the gameplay is totally different.

Mesmer clones are still a joke. Engineer turrets are used primarily for offense.

GW1 ritualistic in PvP mostly used urns and channeling if they were going on the offensive. Spirit spammers in PvP played point defense and were kitten good at it. In GW2, it would almost certainly turn out the same way. Hell let’s look at Mesmers and Engineers in PvP since people like you just love to insist that they are the GW2 equivalent… mesmers due to the mobility of their clones go on the offensive, while turret engineers (what few remain) run point defense and help set up choke points. They aren’t overlooked in PvP they are just geared more for a role that a lot of PvPers prefer not to take since it tends to be more rewarding to be a part of the offensive.

I’m asking you, would it introduce some new kind of gameplay? No. As for urns, I seriously doubt that anyone would use these in a game where you need to actively dodge.

Gw1’s PvP and gw2’s PvP are world apart. Well the gameplay needed for both are world apart.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

GW1 mesmer definitely.

to hard to play for the 90% gw2 player quality.

As the gw2 mesmer so its a perfect match

actually the gw2 version is way much easier :|

on 1vs 1 gw1 mesmer u needed to be good to kill a player, on gw2 u dont… but thats the game overall.

Reason team spikes and ganks were required, on gw2 one player can achieve t alone when in gw1 was necessary team effort and even the spike was required certain timmings.

Overall in terms of pvp was much more complicated, even gimmicks had a lrager margin to fail against non gimmicks, here on gw2 gimmicks will be the first andmajor thing to count to win a combat. ence mesmer mechanics compared with the gw1 version are far superior and much more bursty.

I mean in multiplayer games there are alwasys worse andbetter players tha you so being good to win a 1v1 is subjective. Also, 90% of the gw2 population is bad there fore current mesmer is “hard” for them.

But as a mismir main id love to see the original. Id love for the next if one of the future expacs the devs go back to original gw1 designs when making the elite specs.

Panda.1967

GW1 mesmer definitely.

on 1vs 1 gw1 mesmer u needed to be good to kill a player, on gw2 u dont… but thats the game overall.

Reason team spikes and ganks were required, on gw2 one player can achieve t alone when in gw1 was necessary team effort and even the spike was required certain timmings.

Overall in terms of pvp was much more complicated, even gimmicks had a lrager margin to fail against non gimmicks, here on gw2 gimmicks will be the first andmajor thing to count to win a combat. ence mesmer mechanics compared with the gw1 version are far superior and much more bursty.

I mean in multiplayer games there are alwasys worse andbetter players tha you so being good to win a 1v1 is subjective. Also, 90% of the gw2 population is bad there fore current mesmer is “hard” for them.

But as a mismir main id love to see the original. Id love for the next if one of the future expacs the devs go back to original gw1 designs when making the elite specs.

If they released a “hexer” elite spec for mesmer… that would probably be the first and only elite spec that I’d actually WANT to take… I really hate how elite specs are virtually required… I want to play my mesmer how I did on GW1… which is nearly impossible in GW2 and very impractical… I miss locking down enemies completely with hexes…

as to the PvP aspect of GW1 mesmers… You didn’t have to be “good” to kill a player in 1v1 as a mesmer… it was actually pretty easy… hell with my build I could kill nearly anyone in 1v1 with little effort, they would either try to burst me down to kill me and end up killing themselves, try to keep their distance and kite around me and end up killing themselves, or attempt to counter my hexes and get burst down by me… it was really easy…

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

GW1 mesmer definitely.

If they released a “hexer” elite spec for mesmer… that would probably be the first and only elite spec that I’d actually WANT to take… I really hate how elite specs are virtually required… I want to play my mesmer how I did on GW1… which is nearly impossible in GW2 and very impractical… I miss locking down enemies completely with hexes…

as to the PvP aspect of GW1 mesmers… You didn’t have to be “good” to kill a player in 1v1 as a mesmer… it was actually pretty easy… hell with my build I could kill nearly anyone in 1v1 with little effort, they would either try to burst me down to kill me and end up killing themselves, try to keep their distance and kite around me and end up killing themselves, or attempt to counter my hexes and get burst down by me… it was really easy…

Arent hexes essentially what confusion and torment are?

Posted by: Mysteriax.6049

Mysteriax.6049

Commando. Like engineer and ele, can only equip one weapon set at a time. Access to rifle, shortbow, and pistol/pistol as possible weapon sets. Utility skills include Gadgets like “Flashbang”, Survival Skills, Signets, Tricks and Shouts like “Cover Me!” the elite skill “That’s a Big Chicken”. Functions on an ammo based system: F1 skill recharges ammo after a set duration: activating a weapon skills interrupts the F1 skill. Each time a weapon skill is used, 1 ammo is subtracted from total.

Bad Axxe
Blissful Epidemic [Blis]
Gate of Madness

Panda.1967

GW1 mesmer definitely.

Arent hexes essentially what confusion and torment are?

Yes, but MUCH stronger… confusion and torment were made as a nod back to GW1 hexes, but they don’t carry anywhere near as much of an impact. You have to stack them to extreme values to come close to GW1 effectiveness. Which is why I said “nearly impossible, and highly impractical”… the build is possible but it isn’t very effective. In GW1 a hex build could lock down enemies and and made them choose their actions carefully, any wrong choice could have resulted in certain death… of course some builds (like mine) made every choice the wrong choice…

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I don’t think we need anymore classes because future elites can cover pretty much anything we can think up.

Having said that I would like a class/elite that is musically inclined. Say oh I don’t know a “bard” or something. Instead of shouts they could sing or play a musical instrument. I would think Mes would be a good choice or maybe Engi as well.

I prefer Bard to be a Thief’s elite spec with a Longbow. Since it fits the DnD/Dragon Age Bard class better.

Mesmer can have Minstrel as a Elite spec with their Phantasm that is equipped with a harp.

Guardian can be the Skaald/Paragon with their Warhorns.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Id like a class that exists for some other reason than just killing monsters over and over.
Something like an explorer class.
Has lots of skills useful for finding stuff in the game, but has no offensive capability at all, and minimal defensive capability.
One of the skills would be bribery, which would allow an explorer to bribe enemy NPCs to not attack you for a short time.
Another skill would be puzzle solving which would allow the explorer to get to locations much easier than other classes.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

Mesmer do not have the same functionality. Ranger spirits come closer, but the obvious, blatant fact is that both offensive, stationary spirits are not contained in the same class. Rit spirits were stationary and rits had to compensate for that fact.

As for your PvP comment. That statement is true for all classes and many types of builds so your PvP argument is moot IMO.

This is way off. The revenant does not perfectly embody the essence of the GW1 Rit. You yourself said that the Rev binds spirits in a different fashion leading to different gameplay. The gameplay the Rit in GW1 used was also what made it special and different from other classes. IMO the Revenant is lipstick on a pig. It has elements of both the warrior and guardian and yet is not significantly different from either to make it interesting for me.

Posted by: Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

The Revenant is an incomplete profession. It was supposed to be what was the Engineer to medium armor or the Ele to light armor. A profession that didn’t use weapon swap, this is why you have only the spear for underwater. They apparently couldn’t build a comprehensive skill list and shortcut the weapon swap to make up the difference. It’s what The Crystal Skull is to Indiana Jones.

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

The Revenant is an incomplete profession. It was supposed to be what was the Engineer to medium armor or the Ele to light armor. A profession that didn’t use weapon swap, this is why you have only the spear for underwater. They apparently couldn’t build a comprehensive skill list and shortcut the weapon swap to make up the difference. It’s what The Crystal Skull is to Indiana Jones.

A raging success at the box office?

Posted by: Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

If you call a raging success killing the franchise…

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

If you call a raging success killing the franchise…

Still made a metric ton of money, even if Shia isn’t your thing.

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

If you’ve made a good name for yourself with the first iteration of your product, that your following products can sell without actually being good, you’ve done good for yourself.

I’m talking about GW2 obviously.