If not AFK farmers then what?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nimrud.5642

Nimrud.5642

Hey,

I brought up this issue before but it seemed that commenters were more keen about being the smartest guy in the thread (and show it to everyone who comes around) rather than looking at the facts. But just before I start I have to mention that I may be biased as well, but for other reasons.

I’ve been around for quite a while. Well before HoT ever came out. And after like the 1st month of me playing gw2, I got into the ‘TP-stuff’… well because I wanted to make money. What a surprise! And through all this time I’v seen big fluctuations of prices and volume across the board. And nothing like the current situation has ever emerged before HoT. Not once! But some like to make it look like it all OK, fine and dandy. What am I talking about exactly? The same issue as in the previous topic: market flooding. There are some guys in this game who found out a way to get extreme quantities of goods for no or ignorable cost and they regularly dump it at the TP. Period. Some like to get ‘smart’ at this point and come up with alternative explanations (probably those who actually do it but dont want others to find it out) like: ‘they farmed it themselves and not being AFK’ or ‘running this dungeaon or that world event gets you even more’…

But if we look at the bare facts the situation looks way different (however I’m still open to hear other rational explanations for the situation than mine):

with rare interruptions – bolts of different cloths and squares of different leathers are used to flood the market continuously. Take rugged leather squares for example: the otherwise usual price would be between 11s and 13s50c or so (only seen it going higher once before HoT) and even to this day it actually does go back to this level when these big sellers occasionally run out of mats. But the next morning its hammered down to 9-10s again with large stacks of mats. And its the same with almost all bolts and squares. Take a look how these big sellers dumped their stuff again when the latest patch came out:

http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/19740
http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/19742
http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/19744
http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/19733
http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/19734
http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/19736

They all go downhill around 13rd-14th of Dec. Except maybe rugged leather squares (probably they are a bit harder to come by because they are the items who tend to jump back to their normal prices more often than others). And supply shoots up at the same time. And sellers put up huge amounts of mats like 25-120 stacks. These just cant come from leagal sources I suspect. But if anyone can tell me how you can farm stuff to be able to put 12000 rugged leather squares at the TP for 9s30c and not get bankrupt I’m all open to that… but as long as some1 can enlighten me about this I remain firm about the idea that these sellers get their mats from illeagal sources thats why price really does not matter to them, because there is no investment or effort involved in getting them. So even selling them for 1c is worth it to them.

So… if its leagal then I’d like to know how its done? But if its not then I’d like to know why Anet does not do kitten about this for more than a year now?

p.s.: If nothing else convinces you: the gap between sell and buy price is virtually nonexistent now. There used to be a good 12-30% price gap between the sell and buy price of certain bolts and squares but now this gap has shrunk to 0-5%. Wanna make sure no1 undercuts you? List your stuff just 1c above the buy order preice so when competition rears its ugly head they cant undercut you because undercutting you only by 1c puts them on the lvl of the highest buy order. You see this a lot as well…

Attachments:

enthusiastic noob

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

How do you know those who sold the items bought them off of the TP right before selling them? How do you know they weren’t hoarding them for when demand increased – and the tale tell sign for increased demand of something is for the price to rise. So other players bought the leather on the market raising the price. The hoarders sold their leather when it hit that price.

Because if new recipes come out for any type of gear there will be leather involved. It doesn’t take much thought to predict higher demand for leather if new armor recipes come out.

Then as time comes on some of that stock sells and some doesn’t as players out bid each other trying to get the most profit on their formerly hoarded for months stash. And non-TP focused players come in and sell their stash as well and outbid to a greater degree as they don’t care as much about profits than those who speculate and flip do.

You have no proof that the sellers who sold at the 13s price were the ones who bought up the stock at the lower price.

And how do you know it’s just one seller and not 100’s or 1000’s of sellers? The TP is international short of the Chinese servers.

Oh and the stacks come from careful buying, farming, and this thing called hoarding – they don’t sell off stacks as they get them and they don’t use them. The mats don’t come from illegal sources.

Posted by: zcearo.1897

zcearo.1897

Your post is incredibly long winded . If you are looking for “facts” about afk farmers . Go find some afk farmers .

If you just wanted to vent that you’re not as rich as you could be because other people have access to the same market as you I don’t think you’ll get much sympathy .

I know that when I’m done building my medium weight ascended armor set I won’t have much use for my hoard of materials I’ve been building since the last 4 years . Maybe you’ll think I afk farmed them too just so I could make you be a little less rich than you would be otherwise .

Or are you complaining the leather sells for more than befor ? So many words and so few seem relevant to one another

Nimrud.5642

Ok, then my only question to you guys remains: Why wasnt it like this before HoT, how did it happen to coincide with the coming out of the autoloot mastery?

enthusiastic noob

Posted by: zcearo.1897

zcearo.1897

You are asking why was the game different a year ago befor a huge expansion came out ……

Seera.5916

Several reasons:

1. Coincidence. It just happened to get easier to gather enough mats for more players to sell on the TP at lower prices since it no longer takes as much effort.
2. It happened before, you just never noticed it until after HoT launched
3. Coincidence. It just happened that someone accidentally posted a number of mats at the 1c above buy order cost and regular players just placing sell orders without thinking followed suit.
4. Coincidence. Those mats have reached their equilibrium prices where the prices most players are willing to buy them at matches the prices sellers are willing to sell them at.

Nimrud.5642

You are asking why was the game different a year ago befor a huge expansion came out ……

Yep but that had no effect on the mechanics you were mentioning. Hoarding and flipping was very much possible before HoT. The only thing that HoT changed was the price level. But I referred only to HoT prices in my post. (Before hot rugged leather squares were around 6-8s if I remember correctly or even at 5s.) The ‘HoT prices’ seemed stable in the first few weeks/months until players got their masteries maxed out, then this happened…

enthusiastic noob

Nimrud.5642

Several reasons:

1. Coincidence. It just happened to get easier to gather enough mats for more players to sell on the TP at lower prices since it no longer takes as much effort.
3. Coincidence. It just happened that someone accidentally posted a number of mats at the 1c above buy order cost and regular players just placing sell orders without thinking followed suit.
4. Coincidence. Those mats have reached their equilibrium prices where the prices most players are willing to buy them at matches the prices sellers are willing to sell them at.

1. Would you pls specify what you exactly mean by ‘it no longer takes as much effort’?
2. Could be.
3. Yep that happens, and it in fact can create a price plug. For a few hours or days, not weeks and months.
4. Maybe but that rather applies to silk or mithril. Because the majority of players are at lvl80 and get lvl 80 loot which gives silk, mithril, elder log and thick leather. In much greater quantities than lower tier mats. Your ‘average Joe’ lvl 80 player wont have 25 stacks of low lvl mats by just playing the game. Or if he does he will dump them at 3-4 occasions in a year. That cant cover the full demand all through the year.

enthusiastic noob

(edited by Nimrud.5642)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Yep but that had no effect on the mechanics you were mentioning. Hoarding and flipping was very much possible before HoT. The only thing that HoT changed was the price level. But I referred only to HoT prices in my post. (Before hot rugged leather squares were around 6-8s if I remember correctly or even at 5s.) The ‘HoT prices’ seemed stable in the first few weeks/months until players got their masteries maxed out, then this happened…

Surely if maxing masteries is an underlying cause, that will be the Legendary Crafting one, not the autoloot which has any significant impact on the economy for better or worse?

Posted by: MoarChaos.8320

MoarChaos.8320

I don’t understand how you think AFK farmers are getting more materials then people playing the game actively. If there were an AFK farmer they wouldn’t get events, they’ll most likely just die and be dead for hours, or they’re getting drops from two mobs re spawning. If you disagree, then you’ll just have to be more specific with what you’re seeing people do. There’s no way in hell someone AFK letting their pet or minions kill things is getting a massive amount of leather.

Your market trends don’t mean anything, and you ignore any possibility that other things are being factored in because people are just trying to be smart. Selling hardened leather you have stored up gets you a ton of money, and people may be trying to buy something else they need with the gold. Then the new maps also give you the items you can salvage for leather for almost every event.

So I don’t know what kind of AFK farmers you are witnessing, but I only see AFK people dead or on a rock so that mobs can’t aggro on to them.

Lastly I have 2,000 material storage. I have no idea what others have, but injecting that much into the TP isn’t a surprise with how many veteran players there are.

(edited by MoarChaos.8320)

Nimrud.5642

Surely if maxing masteries is an underlying cause, that will be the Legendary Crafting one, not the autoloot which has any significant impact on the economy for better or worse?

Yep, precursor crafting caused the initial price increase (remember thick leather sections being 9c a piece? :P). But that only lasted for the first weeks or months.

enthusiastic noob

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Why is the most unlikely explanation is the one people pin their hat to. AFK farming (assuming you don’t mean gathering here, but bots that kill mobs and loot) is dealt with with DR and the numbers you are seeing aren’t all that impressive or meaningful either. You can’t assume that exceptional cases you have cherrypicked from the TP are linked to AFK farming. There are lots of ideas on why what you have seen can happen; deciding it’s the one that gives you an easy finger to point at Anet is already starting the thread off on a confrontational foot.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

MoarChaos.8320

Also in this HoT era, prices aren’t going to stabilize for long. We have new farms being dropped into the game, and new legendaries are spiking interest for different goods. The biggest legendary looming in the distance right now is the Legendary Armor. So maybe me saying that will cause the price to rise as people decide to hoard and sell later or buy what they think they’ll need before the price gets too high.

Nimrud.5642

I don’t understand how you think AFK farmers are getting more materials then people playing the game actively. If there were an AFK farmer they wouldn’t get events, they’ll most likely just die and be dead for hours, or they’re getting drops from two mobs re spawning. If you disagree, then you’ll just have to be more specific with what you’re seeing people do. There’s no way in hell someone AFK letting their pet or minions kill things is getting a massive amount of leather.

Your market trends don’t mean anything, and you ignore any possibility that other things are being factored in because people are just trying to be smart. Selling hardened leather you have stored up gets you a ton of money, and people may be trying to buy something else they need with the gold. Then the new maps also give you the items you can salvage for leather for almost every event.

So I don’t know what kind of AFK farmers you are witnessing, but I only see AFK people dead or on a rock so that mobs can’t aggro on to them.

Lastly I have 2,000 material storage. I have no idea what others have, but injecting that much into the TP isn’t a surprise with how many veteran players there are.

Maybe like 20% of your post is relevant to what I was saying.

AFK farming is a thing, I wont educate you on that. Look it up at the forums. But still I never said I’m 100% sure about it. All I said was I cant logically come to any other conclusion. The reason I’m here is that I dont think I’m all knowing so I rather ask just to be sure…

Your market trends don’t mean anything, and you ignore any possibility that other things are being factored in

Thats a detailed and factual statement… Would you mind expanding this a little?

What the hell does hardened leather and the money you get from selling them come here? :O I also dont get how people ‘trying to buy something else’ has an effect on the issue… And the new maps are lvl80 maps, you dont get much low tier mats from there either, so this argument of yours is kind of weak too.

enthusiastic noob

Seera.5916

Several reasons:

1. Would you pls specify what you exactly mean by ‘it no longer takes as much effort’?
2. Could be.
3. Yep that happens, and it in fact can create a price plug. For a few hours or days, not weeks and months.
4. Maybe but that rather applies to silk or mithril. Because the majority of players are at lvl80 and get lvl 80 loot which gives silk, mithril, elder log and thick leather. In much greater quantities than lower tier mats. Your ‘average Joe’ lvl 80 player wont have 25 stacks of low lvl mats by just playing the game. Or if he does he will dump them at 3-4 occasions in a year. That cant cover the full demand all through the year.

1. Less loot is missed since it’s automatically picked up due to the autoloot mastery.

3. If the price isn’t ridiculous and the mat isn’t hard to come by, it’s not unexpected that the price remains there for a while. More than a few hours or days

4. Just because Lvl 80’s don’t get that loot often, doesn’t mean that that those items haven’t hit their equilibrium prices. The buyers being the level 80’s and the sellers being the under 80’s primarily.

So again, what makes you so sure it’s AFK farmers? When the key part of AFK farming is the autoloot. Especially since you didn’t negate #2, which would be impossible under your theory that this situation is caused by AFK farmers.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

AFK farming is a thing, I wont educate you on that. Look it up at the forums. But still I never said I’m 100% sure about it. All I said was I cant logically come to any other conclusion. The reason I’m here is that I dont think I’m all knowing so I rather ask just to be sure…

Your market trends don’t mean anything, and you ignore any possibility that other things are being factored in

Thats a detailed and factual statement… Would you mind expanding this a little?

What the hell does hardened leather and the money you get from selling them come here? :O I also dont get how people ‘trying to buy something else’ has an effect on the issue… And the new maps are lvl80 maps, you dont get much low tier mats from there either, so this argument of yours is kind of weak too.

Havent been to lw s3 ember bay and bitterfrost fronter yet.

But bloodstone fen the lumps of salvage items you get there can drop any tier metal,leather and cloth.
Aint it like that in the other two maps aswell?

Edit
I think the syntecisers in wvw and guild halls help aswell getting random tier materials if you count in how many accounts that can do it daily.

MoarChaos.8320

That’s because it’s easy when you’re not looking for any other conclusions

There’s a lot of different way to AFK farm, none of them are anywhere near being more lucrative then playing the game. So state what you’re seeing is happening, or continue pretending they’re the sole influence on leather .-.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Your original post is barely evidence that there’s even a possible change in market behavior that cannot be attributed to the new API (making it easier for people to monitor their investments and the TP), new webtools that make it easier to pick investment/flipping targets, new tools that make it easier to choose how to convert currencies, new farming methods (more lucrative than before).

And even if there was a change (and again, the OP isn’t providing conclusive evidence of that), there’s no way to use changing in prices to determine the source of mats.

In short, there’s nothing to discuss.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Nimrud.5642

Why is the most unlikely explanation is the one people pin their hat to. AFK farming (assuming you don’t mean gathering here, but bots that kill mobs and loot) is dealt with with DR and the numbers you are seeing aren’t all that impressive or meaningful either. You can’t assume that exceptional cases you have cherrypicked from the TP are linked to AFK farming. There are lots of ideas on why what you have seen can happen; deciding it’s the one that gives you an easy finger to point at Anet is already starting the thread off on a confrontational foot.

Ok. Then lets just keep it simple!

You cant get leather and cloth from gathering. You loot it. The item itself or from bags or from salvaging. So you need to kill and loot to get them.

The increased demand of mats for precursor crafting raised price lvls significantly after HoT release. Staying at the previous example: rugged leather squares were somtimes even above 16s a piece. This stayed like this for quite a while.

Then from somewhere, sellers occured who had tons of the needed mats. And been dumping hunge amounts ever since.

So my questions are:

If it has nothing to do with the autoloot mastery then why wasnt this a thing right when HoT came out? Ppl sitting on their stocks (that are enough to craft multiple precursors) while the price is 40-70% higher than now… that does not make sense to me.

But if there is an other explanation then be so kind to share it. Where did this huge influx of mats come from? Or has demand dropped that much? Well actually it didnt… View the full price/supply/demand history of the items on the link I provided and you’ll see that they all shoot up in Oct-Nov of 2015 and after the initial sipke they stabilize around Jan of 2016. And from June of 2016 supply goes up reaching never before seen levels without demand significantly changing. This kind of goes against what you are saying…

enthusiastic noob

Seera.5916

You cant get leather and cloth from gathering. You loot it. The item itself or from bags or from salvaging. So you need to kill and loot to get them.

The increased demand of mats for precursor crafting raised price lvls significantly after HoT release. Staying at the previous example: rugged leather squares were somtimes even above 16s a piece. This stayed like this for quite a while.

Then from somewhere, sellers occured who had tons of the needed mats. And been dumping hunge amounts ever since.

So my questions are:

If it has nothing to do with the autoloot mastery then why wasnt this a thing right when HoT came out? Ppl sitting on their stocks (that are enough to craft multiple precursors) while the price is 40-70% higher than now… that does not make sense to me.

But if there is an other explanation then be so kind to share it. Where did this huge influx of mats come from? Or has demand dropped that much? Well actually it didnt… View the full price/supply/demand history of the items on the link I provided and you’ll see that they all shoot up in Oct-Nov of 2015 and after the initial sipke they stabilize around Jan of 2016. And from June of 2016 supply goes up reaching never before seen levels without demand significantly changing. This kind of goes against what you are saying…

And you haven’t proven that it didn’t happen before HoT. You’ve even admitted in THIS THREAD that it may have happened before HoT and that you didn’t notice it.

Posted by: Mikikira.1574

Mikikira.1574

-stares at my 1.5k stacks of all tier mats from WvW K-training-

All those nodes in every keep, castle, tower, camp totally didn’t give them to me! :P

Xeon E7 8890v4|EVGA GTX 1080 FTW HydroCopper |Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD|Asus PG348Q display

WvW Roamin for days!

Nimrud.5642

So my questions are:

And you haven’t proven that it didn’t happen before HoT. You’ve even admitted in THIS THREAD that it may have happened before HoT and that you didn’t notice it.

Hey, why are you trying to act as if this was just a temporary occurence? This may have happened before HoT but surely never lasted this long. Look up what I just wrote about price plugs.

And above all look up the full item history on the links I provided and you’ll see that supply volume was never ever this high before. In the case of rugged leather and wool the gap is a little smaller but consider that the pre-HoT lvls of supply occured without the increased demand.

So actually you are doing the exact same thing that you are accusing me of. All the data is there, but you didnt even bother to look it up…

But if you finally do, I also suggest taking a look at how drastic the supply spikes are. If its an overall trend and vast numbers of players get access to much more mats it spreads out a little more in time as players dont have the same gaming hours and overall activity. Hunge spikes imply fewer sellers selling bigger amounts.

enthusiastic noob

(edited by Nimrud.5642)

Seera.5916

So my questions are:

Hey, why are you trying to act as if this was just a temporary occurence? This may have happened before HoT but surely never lasted this long. Look up what I just wrote about price plugs.

And above all look up the full item history on the links I provided and you’ll see that supply volume was never ever this high before. In the case of rugged leather and wool the gap is a little smaller but consider that the pre-HoT lvls of supply occured without the increased demand.

So actually you are doing the exact same thing that you are accusing me of. All the data is there, but you didnt even bother to look it up…

Just because it’s lasting longer now doesn’t prove that it’s AFK farmers that did it.

So again, you’ve admitted that it’s happened before HoT. Therefore it’s AFK farmers that cause it.

Nimrud.5642

So my questions are:

Just because it’s lasting longer not doesn’t prove that it’s AFK farmers that did it.

So again, you’ve admitted that it’s happened before HoT. Therefore it’s AFK farmers that cause it.

No. It did not happen. Stop parroting yourself lol. Or are you having a hard time understanding graphs?

And btw would you give an alternative explanation to what the graphs show? It seems its not me who has a hard time disconnecting from the AFK farming concept…

enthusiastic noob

(edited by Nimrud.5642)

Obtena.7952

So my questions are:

Let’s keep it more simple … let’s say there are AFK farmers wrecking the economy … where are they actually farming and how come we don’t see them all over the place? The real fact is that the game layout doesn’t actually make AFK farming at the scale needed to wreck the economy possible.

There are a handful of places where AFK farming can happen because of mob density, and even then, those spots can support maybe two people farming … so instead of trying to tell us AFK farming exists based on some indirect evidence from the TP, it would make more sense to actually look at how the game works first before you continue.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I’ve sold about 200 golds worth of leather, cloth, wood and metals in the last few days. This is just stuff I’ve been accumulating over the last few months. And the reason for this sudden sell off? The gold to gem rate has dipped and I’m building up a stash of gems ready for the next sale. I imagine there are many others who also keep a keen eye on the gem price and sell stuff at those times.

The OP is imagining a small number of AFK mega farmers but a more mundane explanation might be many thousands of ordinary players selling off modest quantities of stuff, all triggered by the price of something else they want, in this case gems. And lots of prices have a regular 24 cycle. Gems are cheaper first thing in the morning (EU time).

Mikikira.1574

So my questions are:

Just because it’s lasting longer not doesn’t prove that it’s AFK farmers that did it.

No. I did not happen. Stop parroting yourself lol. Or are you having a hard time understanding graphs?

And btw would you give an alternative explanation to what the graphs show? It seems its not me who has a hard time disconnecting from the AFK farming concept…

Did you ever stop to think that,
1. The base GW2 is now F2P, thus people have made extra accounts, plus those in conversion of buying HoT to remove restrictions
2. WvW now has RNG nodes on EVERY map, I’ve struck a lumber node at the same spot, 4 times in a day and got this list

Green Wood
Green Wood
Hard Wood

Ancient Wood
Hard Wood
Soft Wood

Soft Wood
Seasoned Wood
Seasoned Wood

Green Wood
Elder Wood
Green Wood

As you can see completely random. There are Lumber, Ore, Vegetable, Herb, Cloth, Leather, and Berry. Gathering from these can give you ANYTHING on the drop table, plus every character on an account can use these freely, I personally got 21 characters so do this math.

2 nodes per camp, 3 nodes per tower, 4 nodes per keep and SMC
Generally there are 6 camps, 4 towers, 3 keeps per BL, 6 camps, 9 towers, 3 keeps and SMC in EBG. That’s a lot of nodes that any one player can hit up, add to it they can hit up those nodes on every character they have, then the number of mats start to rack up fast.

Xeon E7 8890v4|EVGA GTX 1080 FTW HydroCopper |Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD|Asus PG348Q display

WvW Roamin for days!

Nimrud.5642

So my questions are:

Let’s keep it more simple … let’s say there are AFK farmers wrecking the economy … where are they actually farming and how come we don’t see them all over the place? The real fact is that the game layout doesn’t actually make AFK farming at the scale needed to wreck the economy possible.

There are a handful of places where AFK farming can happen because of mob density, and even then, those spots can support maybe two people farming … so instead of trying to tell us AFK farming exists based on some indirect evidence from the TP, it would make more sense to actually look at how the game works first before you continue.

I’ve said it like a gazillion times that I’m not sure its just the most logical explanation that I can come up with…

And the two alternative answers I could squeeze out of you guys were not that convincing. One of you said its beacuse of new salvage items being introduced so lvl80 players can get lower tier mats as well. And some else said that lower lvl characters are selling the lower lvl mats. But that also goes against reality. Because with the coming of HoT and the accumulation of tomes of knowledge and the instant lvl80 boost it takes less and less time to get to 80. So this should decrease supply. But supply went up dudes… it went up. Well before the new salvage items were introduced.

So pls all you guys who get it, share your secrect with a stupid bloke like me pls!

enthusiastic noob

Nimrud.5642

So my questions are:

No. I did not happen. Stop parroting yourself lol. Or are you having a hard time understanding graphs?

1. The base GW2 is now F2P, thus people have made extra accounts, plus those in conversion of buying HoT to remove restrictions
2. WvW now has RNG nodes on EVERY map, I’ve struck a lumber node at the same spot, 4 times in a day and got this list

Green Wood
Green Wood
Hard Wood

Ancient Wood
Hard Wood
Soft Wood

Soft Wood
Seasoned Wood
Seasoned Wood

Green Wood
Elder Wood
Green Wood

As you can see completely random. There are Lumber, Ore, Vegetable, Herb, Cloth, Leather, and Berry. Gathering from these can give you ANYTHING on the drop table, plus every character on an account can use these freely, I personally got 21 characters so do this math.

Generally there are 6 camps, 4 towers, 3 keeps per BL, 6 camps, 9 towers, 3 keeps and SMC in EBG. That’s a lot of nodes that any one player can hit up, add to it they can hit up those nodes on every character they have, then the number of mats start to rack up fast.

Finally something that makes sense. Ty! And you didnt even get personal. Thats exceptional.

I saw these nodes introduced but never thought they could have such a profound effect.

enthusiastic noob

Seera.5916

So my questions are:

No. It did not happen. Stop parroting yourself lol. Or are you having a hard time understanding graphs?

So now you’re saying that you didn’t say that it might have happened prior to HoT?

Here are the relevant posts that show you’ve said it or at least agreed with it:

2. Could be.

FYI: Before means before HoT launched. Before autoloot was a thing. And it may have happened to other mats that you weren’t following.

Hey, why are you trying to act as if this was just a temporary occurence? This may have happened before HoT but surely never lasted this long.

Just because it didn’t last as long doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. And just because it wasn’t as long before HoT doesn’t mean that AFK farmers and autoloot are the cause. More than just that was added or changed with HoT’s launch.

I don’t need to see a graph to now that it won’t have evidence that AFK farmers and autoloot are the cause.

Seera.5916

And here’s an alternate theory:

AB multiloot caused it. AB multiloot shifts more gold into the hands of players who do it via direct gold and gold from mats sold obtained while doing AB multiloot.

Other players who don’t AB multiloot realize that certain mats aren’t obtainable on AB due to how drops work. So they go out and actively farm and/or buy up mats and hold onto them for a while. Until those who do the AB multiloot have dropped there own personal stores of those mats down. Then they start selling them for profit and they choose 1c over the buy order to catch those too lazy to wait for people to fill their orders because I honestly would spend 1c more to not wait for my order to be filled.

Alternate, logical theory. Equally as provable as your is. Yet, mine seems more logical than yours because yours assumes most of the mats are obtained through illegal means. Most players don’t break the rules of the game. So the reason is more likely one that would fall within the rules of the game.

Nimrud.5642

Just because it didn’t last as long doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. And just because it wasn’t as long before HoT doesn’t mean that AFK farmers and autoloot are the cause. More than just that was added or changed with HoT’s launch.

I don’t need to see a graph to now that it won’t have evidence that AFK farmers and autoloot are the cause.

You should be a politician… but until you get there you may learn from Mikikira.1574 how to conduct a proper conversation. You keep representing falsely what I said and then you argue with my twisted statements instead of the original ones. ‘Could be’ isnt agreeing and in no way is a hard statement. Yet you act like it is… However I provided graphs that exactly show that this has never happened before. You just refuse to look at them because they may put your stupid arguements in danger… Hot air, nothing but hot air. Typical case of wanting to look smarter than others even at the cost of twisting reality.

enthusiastic noob

Mikikira.1574

So my questions are:

Green Wood
Green Wood
Hard Wood

Ancient Wood
Hard Wood
Soft Wood

Soft Wood
Seasoned Wood
Seasoned Wood

Green Wood
Elder Wood
Green Wood

Finally something that makes sense. Ty! And you didnt even get personal. Thats exceptional.

I saw these nodes introduced but never thought they could have such a profound effect.

Usually in one night of roaming/k-training on multiple characters, I can pull about 300~400 of various mats of various tiers, over a weeks time that can climb to near 1000. Though the nodes in WvW, are far more keen to give T1~3 mats then it is to give 4~6.

WvW Roamin for days!

Seera.5916

You should be a politician… but until you get there you may learn from Mikikira.1574 how to conduct a proper conversation. You keep representing falsely what I said and then you argue with my twisted statements instead of the original ones. ‘Could be’ isnt agreeing and in no way is a hard statement. Yet you act like it is… However I provided graphs that exactly show that this has never happened before. You just refuse to look at them because they may put your stupid arguements in danger… Hot air, nothing but hot air. Typical case of wanting to look smarter than others even at the cost of twisting reality.

Could be means it’s possible. And you asked for alternate theories. I gave you one. Just because you like your theory better doesn’t make it the correct one.

You said yourself that they’ve happened before but not for as long. That “but not for as long” doesn’t mean they didn’t happen. You’re the one wanting to twist reality.

As soon as there’s another possible solution, you can’t say with certainty that yours is the correct one. Which you’ve refused to do.

Posted by: Black Iris Flowers.3418

Black Iris Flowers.3418

I don’t know about afk farmers, but for this particular patch A LOT of crafting materials dropped in price on December 13th and 14th. Wintersday began and everyone started buying up the drinks for Winter’s Presence, selling off their stuff to do so. Leather and cloth being worth so much it makes sense they dropped quickly. T6 mats like powerful blood are at a record low for the year as well

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I don’t know about afk farmers, but for this particular patch A LOT of crafting materials dropped in price on December 13th and 14th. Wintersday began and everyone started buying up the drinks for Winter’s Presence, selling off their stuff to do so. Leather and cloth being worth so much it makes sense they dropped quickly. T6 mats like powerful blood are at a record low for the year as well

That’s a good point. Holidays are often the time new shinies come out as well as the return of last years shiny. Lots of people will dump horded mats to pay for the expense of getting whatever the holiday shiny is. All that alcohol and gifts to get the new infusion costs a lot of gold.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Chuck.8196

Chuck.8196

Anet has said AFK farming is completely “legal”. If you want to know how just search online. There are plenty of resources. If you want more info and to learn the bigger secrets learn to use TOR. When you can mix multi-boxing and afk farming without breaking ToS you can multiply your income drastically. Whatever time it takes you to farm one stack of a mat you could easily have 3-4 times as many. And since its very easy to have an undetectable script that can read chat whispers for key words and reply accordingly to make it appear you are not COMPLETELY afk it really makes the act questionable.

a·chieve·ment – a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill
re·ward – a thing given in recognition of one’s service, effort, or achievement
en·ti·tle·ment – the belief one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

I dont understand the point of threads like this.
The TP isnt a regulated market where items should cost some fixed amount.
Its purely a supply / demand driven market where the prices will flap all over the place all the time primarily due to what the player base are doing.
Lots of people, myself included store lots of stuff in the bank for future use, but I sometimes dump stuff when its unlikley Ill need it anytime soon.
Prices going down due to a supply / demand variation is a good thing so I cant see what the OP is complaining about.
You see more complaints about prices going up for the same reasons, but caused by hoarders, flippers and market manipulators.
All good buzzwords because ppl simply dont understand how the TP works.
The TP in this game is the best one Ive ever seen as it doesnt suffer from hyperinflation in the prices of items.

MoarChaos.8320

Hey,

I brought up this issue before but it seemed that commenters were more keen about being the smartest guy in the thread (and show it to everyone who comes around) rather than looking at the facts. But just before I start I have to mention that I may be biased as well, but for other reasons.

It all starts and ends with this paragraph. The answer to your topic is that for the most part, we honestly don’t think it’s AFK farmers. We aren’t getting reports of seeing them widespread in the game, and so we’re a bit confused why you’re so dead set that the market is the way it is because of them when we aren’t seeing them. You came off as rude and your replied to people that way.

So here’s some proof for you since we can’t just say it’s ridiculous to say an entire market is being affected by a speculated group that may not exist. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rugged_Leather_Section

The Unstable Hide is what’s dropping like hot cakes from the new map, gives a chance at any leather. The new wvw nodes, the new guild nodes, the home instance leather node, just everything on the wiki. Also the game became f2p and they pretty much have to sell raw materials when they get full or they will no longer have inventory space. I’m positive I’m missing some other new sources.

So once again give us an example of what kind of AFK farmer you’re seeing. I don’t know of a farm that can beat multi map auric basin, the new maps, or silverwastes so how are these AFKers getting the majority of leather into the market?

Speaking of silverwastes, back when it was huge the best thing to do was to open bags on a lvl 55 or so character. I didn’t have a slot for that so I never did it, but that can still be done with any bags today. Instant tons of tier boopity shnoodle leather in an instant.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There are probably more players using a mid-level character to open loot bags, then there are player using a character to AFK farm.

The economy is probably affected more by Play4Free characters than any AFK farmers.

The economy is probably affected more by all the new recipes and material sinks released with/since HoT launch than AFK farmers.

I guess the economy could be affected by all kinds of things!

Posted by: ElectricGoat.8253

ElectricGoat.8253

People like to sell 1 copper over the highest price, just cause it makes it slightly faster to buy and sell if you’re the #1 spot. Over time, this competition causes prices to equal out with the buy price.

Hope this helps

Obtena.7952

I’ve said it like a gazillion times that I’m not sure its just the most logical explanation that I can come up with..

Really? So the most logical explanation you can come up with is the one that is obviously unlikely just from what you can see from understanding the game. I mean, I don’t see piles of AFK farmers killing mobs using autolooting in the game so how these absent AFK farmers are destroying the economy is ??

No offense, but the only reason you have stuck to this explanation is that it’s the only one you seem to want to believe … that doesn’t make it most likely or even reasonable, considering there aren’t many opportunities to do AFK farming in this game at the level where it would wreck the economy in the first place.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

Posted by: Tatwi.3562

Tatwi.3562

Given the fact that it just took me 3 seconds to find that one of the biggest hacking sites on the net has functional hacks for combat, auction house use, and harvesting, you’d be a fool to suggest that people aren’t using these things. There is a disgusting amount of cheaters in online games. Don’t don’t waste people’s time pretending there aren’t lol…

Wholey auto-wrong Batman… Dumbphones…

(edited by Tatwi.3562)

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Since they are responsible for EVERY SINGLE THING that no one likes…

/sarc

visions of tv’s burning in my mind

Posted by: Revilrad.1962

Revilrad.1962

Ok, then my only question to you guys remains: Why wasnt it like this before HoT, how did it happen to coincide with the coming out of the autoloot mastery?

Can the amount of players cotribute to this? Maybe it is simple as the fact that more people are playing the game and farming more of the mats before?

Obtena.7952

Given the fact that it just took me 3 seconds to find that one of the biggest hacking sites on the net has functional hacks for combat, auction house use, and harvesting, you’d be a fool to suggest that people aren’t using these things. There is a disgusting amount of cheaters in online games. Don’t don’t waste people’s time pretending there aren’t lol…

Wholey auto-wrong Batman… Dumbphones…

They might be, but that’s not going to account to any sort of significant wrecking of the economy, even if some people are using those tools. There just isn’t enough locations in GW2 to make automating that worth the effort. If people were using those tools, they would find out how fast DR is going to hit them and how little they benefit from it, not to mention it’s easy as hell to spot someone that does such a thing. The availability of these tools doesn’t lead to any conclusion that AFK farmers are wrecking the GW2 economy.

Posted by: Bridget Morrigan.1752

Bridget Morrigan.1752

I’m not sure I understand what the point of this post is. You’re posing it like it’s a real question—*if not afk farmers, what is going on?—then treating it like it’s an argument with a rhetorical question and the answer is obviously that there are afk farmers and that THIS ARE EVILLLLLLL.

But to what end do you need to convince any of us of this? If people are afk-ing their way to high cash flow on a hundred different accounts…what are we supposed to do about it? Get outraged? Complain to ANet so that they get rid of the autoloot function?

Insist that a potential influx of goods into the marketplace that drives down prices for the vast majority of people (who just want to be able to afford to outfit some characters) ought to be a good reason to abolish a mechanic that is convenient, assures that most players make more money because they don’t miss their drops, and makes people happy?

This is…never gonna happen. People are never going to want what you want.

I’ve been around a long time too—since prior to launch, and I play the market. And the thing you haven’t considered is that there are traders who actually make money faster when there is a higher volume of goods in the marketplace, even when that window between buy and sell prices narrows. (If you haven’t figured out how, I’m not going to tell you.)

The point is, you’ve assumed that whatever is going on—whether it’s caused by afk farmers or something else—is a negative generally because it’s a negative for you, and thus needs to be “fixed.” This isn’t true for all of us. For some of us, what’s going on is a positive and makes us money, and the last thing we want to see is for it to get “fixed.” For probably the majority of people, any increase in supply is only helpful. And that’s even aside from the fact that most players like autoloot. It’s generally good for the game.

You shouldn’t assume that because something is disadvantageous to you, it’s disadvantageous to everyone, or even to most people. You’re never going to sell this issue as a problem because for probably most people, it’s got positive effects, not negative ones.

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

If these people had no cost associated with generating the loot (eg. hacks) they wouldn’t even list sell prices and just fill all the orders all the way down to 0 just like the old Omega Golem dupe exploit back in the day.

There’s a pretty simple explanation why the mats tanked and that’s because wintersday came along and the bags of Festive materials drop cloth/leather/wood.

As to why someone list up so many, it’s obvious because there’s a few dudes who buy order the raw material and refine it to squares and list it to sell. Most people don’t bother doing this but they do and in the grand scheme of things a few hundred stacks isn’t that much if you regularly play the TP.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN