If you could replace your Elite skill...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jandau.5349

Jandau.5349

… with a 4th Utility, would you?

From what I’ve seen in the game and heard from other people, quite a few Elite skills leave something to be desired, especially considering their cooldowns. This got me thinking, what if the “0” slot could also be used for regular Utility skills?

Would you still keep using your Elites or would you use the slot for a 4th Utility? If you would go for a 4th Utility, what class/build and why?

Please note that I’m not asking for this to be implemented or anything, I’m just curious.

Personally, I’d drop my Elite on my Guardian since I don’t like the two Tomes and Renewed Focus is kinda meh.

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

I’d drop the elite on Necromancer, Guardian, and Elementalist without thinking twice.

I’d usually drop it on the Engineer.

I’d situationally drop it on Thief and Ranger.

I don’t think I’d ever drop it on Warrior or Mesmer.

Posted by: KotCR.6024

KotCR.6024

Eh? Renewed Focus is the best of the Guardian elites if you ask me; It’s certainly the most useable in a relevant way. I think the only time I really replace it is to have fun with Hounds of Balthazar, and I’m under no illusion how inferior the racial elites are to the profession ones. The cooldown is too long on the tomes and the length too short to make any really amazing use of them; There’s nothing you can really do on them that you can’t do by triggering a specced virtue anyway.

The thing with Renewed Focus is you do have to be specced a reasonable amount into Virtues to make good use of it; Having a rune that triggers on Elite usage to take advantage of the relatively low cooldown for an elite skill doesn’t hurt either.

So if I’d take another utility skill instead? No, not with my current Guardian build. But if I wasn’t specced at all into Virtues I could definetly see preferring an extra utility skill over the elite. The irony here of course, is that in the Betas, Renewed Focus WAS a utility skill.

While they’re aren’t too bad, I could definetly see me taking an extra utility instead of an elite on my Thief if I could too, seems some of the Thief utility skills are really nice.

(edited by KotCR.6024)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’ve been somewhat dissapointed with all the ranger elites.

They’re not bad exactly but very situational and most need to be activated just before you need them so it’s hard to know when to use it and the fact that they have such a long cooldown makes me reluctant to risk it if I’m not sure it’s the right time.

It makes it kind of strange when I switch back to GW1 where I also play a ranger and my elite (Barrage) is my main attack skill.

I’ve ended up using Mistfire Wolf and then Hounds of Balthazar most of the time.

I wouldn’t say the utility skills are better than the elites, but there have been times I’ve found myself rarely using my elite and struggling to choose between two utilities so it would be nice to have that option.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Titan.3472

Titan.3472

I would love to be able to choose another skill than elite in slot 4 as the elite warrior are joke (banner is Underperforming the non-elite ones: its not rezzing at all dead player and it gives a power buff +35… and banner traits don’t apply on it).

Posted by: LordSlack.4685

LordSlack.4685

I’d drop the elite on Necromancer, Guardian, and Elementalist without thinking twice.

This is the correct answer.

Posted by: Exiled.6901

Exiled.6901

As a necromancer: without hesitation.

Actually I always wait with my elite, thinking “I’ll save it ’cause there may be times when it is really needed” because of their long cooldowns, ending up not using it once during whole dung/fractal/whatever.
And honestly, utility skills have much better effect/cooldown ratio than most of the elites (for necro: all elites).

Posted by: Boatdrinks.2546

Boatdrinks.2546

I would love to be able to choose another skill than elite in slot 4 as the elite warrior are joke (banner is Underperforming the non-elite ones: its not rezzing at all dead player and it gives a power buff +35… and banner traits don’t apply on it).

Not sure why the elite banner didn’t get buffed with the rest of them, but signet of rage is far from a joke.

Posted by: Theoldman.6483

Theoldman.6483

I rarely use any of my elite skills they could delete them for all I care. Therefore; I would like the option to replace the elite with other existing skills. Especially if I was doing a particular style of build. For example a Ranger trap build with the capability to slot all 4 basic traps instead of just 3. The same is true for all professions.

Now if I could have my way I would double slot a few of the more basic one.

Racially I would like all the elite Norm shape change moved to F5-F8. The Asura to function key change into different type robots and the Sylvari into a pansy, daisy, dandelion and maybe something different like a dung beetle or stink bug

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Battle Standard applies something like 12 stacks of might plus fury to the entire team for a minute, on top of the fast revive. It’s one of the best elites in the game.

Only real knock on it is the relatively long downtime, and that it frequently isn’t needed due to 100% fury uptime from multiple copies of FGJ. As the only Warrior in a group, however, it’s golden.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Shout based Guardian with all 4 shouts :Q__

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: ElenaDragon.8401

ElenaDragon.8401

No question I would. Elementalist here.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I now have all the professions at 80. (I finished my engi this week pretty much just to have them all at 80.). Of all the professions, the only elites that excite me are those of Warrior and the Mesmer. There rest I take because, well, you really should have an elite skill on the bar.

Posted by: Caledore.6271

Caledore.6271

As an Elementalist, without a doubt I’d trade my Elite for an extra utility slot in most situations. I might continue using Elemental in some PvE content, but in WvW I’d always take a 4th utility over an Elite if I could.

The fact that at least half of the professions would probably take a 4th utility over an Elite shows that a lot of Elites are not what they should be. Most of them aren’t game-changers at all, and yet have long cooldowns shackling them. There are exceptions, of course, but a lot of Elites either need to be brought up in power or brought down in cooldown.

Posted by: Neb.4170

Neb.4170

Easily, on most of my characters the elite skills is only there because I have no other choice in the matter.

Elite skills in this game are really just poorly implemented and designed. They used to be ‘game changers’, then got nerfed because super long cooldown powerful skills are a bad idea. Now they are just ‘meh’ with a giant cooldown.

Posted by: Sericenthe.5310

Sericenthe.5310

Would in a heartbeat. On both my necro and engineer which are my two mains right now.

Seri Kali [Me] – 80 Necromancer -Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Dristig.9678

Dristig.9678

This is the correct answer and that should make someone at Anet take notice. (It won’t)

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Absolutely, I even made a suggestion post about it a few weeks ago.

However I’m still unsure if this could/would favor certain classes/builds more then others.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

Depends

Warrior: No, Signet of Rage/Battle Standard are too good

Ranger: Rampage as One is awesome

Guardian: Tome of Courage ftw

Thief: Possibly. I can see a utility being better than Thieve’s Guild in single target situations but when high aoe is needed Dagger Storm is great

Necromancer: Plague is nice for the perma-blind and Lich Form does good damage

Engineer: Sometimes, I like the bandages from Supply Drop but another Utility would be good too

Elementalist: Yes, to have 4 cantrips, or to use Glyph of Storms or Arcane Shield

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

like any engineer i’d throw my elites without a second doubt with the current elites we got.

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Agree.. as an Engineer I wouldn’t hesitate. All the elites suck.. except for Supply Drop. Which is only good in certain situations anyways. I’d much rather carry a different skill.

Agree.. as an Engineer I wouldn’t hesitate. All the elites suck.. except for Supply Drop. Which is only good in certain situations anyways. I’d much rather carry a different skill.And this should tell something to ANet. When ‘Elite’ skills are not even desirable. They are supposed to be the best of the best and it seems they fail in that regard.

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

Shout based Guardian with all 4 shouts :Q__

That’s the first place I went. “Holy” overpowerd! haha!

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Guardian main here: OK, so Tome of Courage is nice when you need it, which is usually not. It’s very strong at healing, but you better only need to do that for a 30-second window – otherwise it’s not going to matter how strong it is because COOLDOWN! HAVE FUN!

Renewed Focus is marginally useful from time to time but definitely not elite-level. I’d rather have Sanctuary because it lasts longer and recharges faster. Which means my answer to the OP question is: yes.
(And the racial elites? Hahahahahahahahahaha I’m norn, no.)

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

As Elementalist, yes.

As Guardian, I’m fine with my elite skill.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: proxy.7963

proxy.7963

None of the elite skills as an Asuran Engineer really support the builds I like to play – they’re enjoyable enough but I think I’d appreciate the choice of another Utility skill for the slot if I wanted to really fine-tune my build. I often find myself one Utility away from something I feel would work really well, but as they stand I don’t feel that the Elites on offer really contribute to a build but instead add more options – fun options, but ones that might not necessarily gel with my build.

That might be the intention of Elites though – to add variety in a way that doesn’t necessarily rely on your general build but instead can potentially benefit all builds in a fairly unspecific way.

So ‘Yes’, it would be nice.

Behold: Opinions!

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Actually, I’d move Necro to the "situationally: list. Plague 2 for blind can be very helpful in limited situations, and the extra health it provides can make a difference solo by giving the heal time to get off CD.

Other than that… well, a lot of the elites just aren’t worth taking.

Posted by: Vargs.6234

Vargs.6234

I absolutely would on my thief, necromancer, and guardian, at least based on their current builds. That’s obviously subject to change if I say, specced my necro into minions where I’d obviously want flesh golem or if I specced my guardian into virtues. Thief would take the utility any day though.

I wouldn’t on my ranger, but it’s definitely not because ranger elites are so incredible. It’s because I struggle to even find 3 ranger utilities that I want to put on my bar, let alone 4.

I would not on my mesmer or warrior. Not a chance. Although I wouldn’t mind ditching the mesmer elites when I’m doing something by myself. Time warp is not an incredible solo skill, especially now.

Sericenthe.5310

Actually, I’d move Necro to the "situationally: list. Plague 2 for blind can be very helpful in limited situations, and the extra health it provides can make a difference solo by giving the heal time to get off CD.

Meh. I’d rather have an extra well on my skill bar instead of plague. With the traits I use that would be way more powerful than an elite.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Meh. I’d rather have an extra well on my skill bar instead of plague. With the traits I use that would be way more powerful than an elite.

Oh, I would too in most cases. However, I find that since I don’t have the choice, Plague is a better option in some cases than the Elementalist has. Plague followed by Well of Darkness make for a lot of blind. While blind isn’t needed in a lot of situations, it can at least help in some. Maybe I should be putting Necro in the “usually drop” category rather than situationally, though.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I’d keep my elite for Ranger. Entangle and RaO are pretty good imo. Plus, aside from a 4-trap Trap build, Rangers don’t really have any amazing utilities anway.

Engineer, def take a 4th utility. Supply Drop is only meh compared to another kit or elixir or gadget.

Guardian, I like Renewed Focus, but it’s only good for those built around virtues. Otherwise, I think I’d rather have another utility if I weren’t.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

(edited by Seras.5702)

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

Renewed focus is sweet, I wouldn’t drop that for a utility… but I would on my elementalist.

Posted by: douceline.2741

douceline.2741

I love the thief elites, but I find the necro elites pretty useless, although as an asuran necromancer I like to throw down a golem every now and then

Posted by: wauwi.9162

wauwi.9162

it would come in handy for PvE and certain other situations.
none of my elite-skills got any use against a bigger boss…so i’d rather put wethstone or a signet to it.

[EU/GER]Elona’s Reach: Aerrith: Lv80 Ranger / Sephirra: Lv80 Mesmer
“Only the finest of potatoes in my zerkburgers.”

Posted by: Budg.3064

Budg.3064

As a Necromancer, I’d rather swap my elite for the ability to equip a third weapon set.

Sericenthe.5310

As a Necromancer, I’d rather swap my elite for the ability to equip a third weapon set.

I know some people like daggers, and axes, and warhorns, and scepters. Frankly the only weapon I find worth a darn is the staff. I have the warhorn on the switch out just for the speed boost.

It would be a great addition if you were able to select any skill you wanted in the elite spot and I think this thread is about that. I doubt it will happen but it sure would be nice if it did.

Posted by: Harbinger.9645

Harbinger.9645

As a mesmer I would love an additional utility slot. Our elites are pretty good, but so are our utility abilities. I would probably pick null field as I can’t seem to find room for it on my bar and it’s really nice to have.

Cynaptix-Mesmer(80)
Member of Gamers With Jobs(GWJ)
From the Northern Shiver Peaks

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

I would on warrior… If only to run 4 shouts or even 3 + endure pain / balanced stance / frenzy.

All of which imo would work better than signet of rage since the passive adrenaline gain is meh, the active while nice isn’t as game changing as the others and the elite banner skill is a total joke. Lets not even look at the Rampage because that isnt even a joke its a POS.