If you deny diminishing returns as a farmer..

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: John Smith.4610

John Smith.4610

Next

I checked back to the beginning of April, you haven’t hit DR since that time.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

which DR is he talking about, what he says doesnt give you all the info or clear info.
I get event DR from doing SW and Cursed shore, i doubt there are only 26 people in the events farms experiencing that.

no one knows what he means by DR, or how many DR/limiter systems are in place.

Event DR in SW? Is that taking into account which tier the fort is?

yes, just doing a bunch of events really fast tends to trigger event DR, and its pretty easy to tag multiple events in SW.

Well either that or my account is bugged from release and triggers event DR faster than other players.
either way, it means what JS is describing doesnt match what players are experiencing in the actual game world. And since most of the details and mechanics are hidden from players, its pretty hard to say what is a bug/odd occurence, or something normal and expected.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Maybe those that feel they are being hit by DR faster than what ANet claims can get together with John Smith. They can ask him to look into the days they are saying it happened and have him see if DR kicked in at 20 or 30 minutes instead of the hours ANet says it does.

And it has been done.

The Burninator

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Thanks for posting the results (although I fear that 20 other people are also going to ask you to check for them — I would have though you would want more evidence before taking the time).

I assume you are talking about DR for drops, not event DR (which seems much easier to trigger).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

phys.7689

assuming you are talking about the OP, are you saying he doesnt actually see loot drop offs in a pattern from when he starts?

is it possible that some non official drop reducing effect is at play?

Previous

John Smith.4610

Next

either way, it means what JS is describing doesnt match what players are experiencing in the actual game world.

I’m checking a secondary data set to confirm my DR data, though this can be tricky business.

I should be more clear. I’m DR of Monster Kills.

phys.7689

Thanks for posting the results (although I fear that 20 other people are also going to ask you to check for them — I would have though you would want more evidence before taking the time).

I assume you are talking about DR for drops, not event DR (which seems much easier to trigger).

I wonder how many types of DR exist?

Posted by: ErazorZ.5209

ErazorZ.5209

either way, it means what JS is describing doesnt match what players are experiencing in the actual game world.

I’m checking a secondary data set to confirm my DR data, though this can be tricky business.

This is interesting, Thanks for the response!

What would you base my experiences of then? Because im genuinly curious how it can be that i perceive this always in the same notion..

Also the DR in question i was talking about was mostly comming from bandit chests loot. Since that is the DR im hitting in SW (kinda hard to hit DR when event mobs dont drop loot in SW lol)

But sincerly thanks for checking my monster DR!

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

I wonder how many types of DR exist?

Too many. DR even exists for killing players in WvW

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

ErazorZ.5209

This is interesting, Thanks for the response!

What would you base my experiences of then? Because im genuinly curious how it can be that i perceive this always in the same notion..

Also the DR in question i was talking about was mostly comming from bandit chests loot. Since that is the DR im hitting in SW (kinda hard to hit mob DR when event mobs dont drop loot in SW lol)

But sincerly thanks for checking my monster DR!

Previous

John Smith.4610

Next

I’m not aware of Bandit Chest loot having the concept of DR.

ErazorZ.5209

Oh i meant the Embroidered Coin Purses, excuse me. But i assume that also is fully based on RNG then? This is really interesting. Because now i really dont know how or why this constant diminishing returning happen to me fully based on RNG.

Any ideas? Or is it really just tricks my mind is playing on me for playing too much?

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

In other words it’s just RNG saying “you’re getting crap for a bit”?

edit: I’d venture a guess that all containers (chests, lootbags, material bags, etc) are subject to “raw” RNG, without the application of DR factored in.

(edited by Aidan Savage.2078)

ErazorZ.5209

edit: I’d venture a guess that all containers (chests, lootbags, material bags, etc) are subject to “raw” RNG, without the application of DR factored in.

Yes that what it seems like to me aswell. If this is the case, i really really wonder how the hell this keeps happening to me. lol

Posted by: Palindrome.8904

Palindrome.8904

Oh i meant the Embroidered Coin Purses, excuse me. But i assume that also is fully based on RNG then? This is really interesting. Because now i really dont know how or why this constant diminishing returning happen to me fully based on RNG.

Any ideas? Or is it really just tricks my mind is playing on me for playing too much?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clustering_illusion

That link should be in John’s signature, I swear…

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

Chest farming has no DR. I’m pretty sure of it. The DR on mobs kicks in super fast (after just one of two resets on the same ennemies), but I haven’t experience any DR of chest farming. It’s like pvp chests: it’s not affected by these considerations: it’s a container.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Wait, they can check individual accounts to see if they have hit DR? Thats actually pretty neat!

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

ErazorZ.5209

Well, im sure its not an illusion, its just being lucky at the start and then fate decided me as a person should stop being lucky. Seems its out of the hands of anet and in the hands of a higher power, i guess the force wasnt as strong in me during may the 4th.

Same reason why ‘fate’ decided that i should be hacked during the 3rd week after release and lose everything but decided to give me my most prized possesion back (the gold seller missed my corrupted weapon lol)

Aidan Savage.2078

Yes that what it seems like to me aswell. If this is the case, i really really wonder how the hell this keeps happening to me. lol

Same way it happens to everyone else. kitten happens and RNGesus decides you like poor loot for another day xD

Posted by: Palindrome.8904

Palindrome.8904

Well, im sure its not an illusion, its just being lucky at the start and then fate decided me as a person should stop being lucky. Seems its out of the hands of anet and in the hands of a higher power, i guess the force wasnt as strong in me during may the 4th.

Same reason why ‘fate’ decided that i should be hacked during the 3rd week after release and lose everything but decided to give me my most prized possesion back (the gold seller missed my corrupted weapon lol)

No, the perceived streaks and “lucky” periods are the illusion. Any random distribution will have places that appear to have an unbalanced spread, but that’s because humans are wired to see patterns in the world.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

The same fate that decides that others with over 4,000 hours played never see a precursor drop. While others find 2 back to back. Yup, sounds about right.

As for you getting hacked, that more than likely can be traced back to multiple reasons for which 99% of the time the user is at fault. Here are some:

- weak password
- shared passwords
- troyans
- emails getting hacked
- no authenticator activated (granted, that was not available at launch as far as I recall)
- not having email authentication active (this was available at launch)

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

The observations in this thread are not statistically relevant.

ErazorZ.5209

The same fate that decides that others with over 4,000 hours played never see a precursor drop. While others find 2 back to back. Yup, sounds about right.

As for you getting hacked, that more than likely can be traced back to multiple reasons for which 99% of the time the user is at fault. Here are some:

- weak password
- shared passwords
- troyans
- emails getting hacked
- no authenticator activated (granted, that was not available at launch as far as I recall)
- not having email authentication active (this was available at launch)

Oh no i got hacked because i used a shared password on a known forum wich got hacked. Fully my fault in that sense. I was more talking about the luck i get in general lol.

ErazorZ.5209

No, the perceived streaks and “lucky” periods are the illusion. Any random distribution will have places that appear to have an unbalanced spread, but that’s because humans are wired to see patterns in the world.

Yes i understand what the phrasing means, but its hard to unsee literally about 7 charged core drops just before the event started in a few days time (wich i played like 4 hours intotal) versus the droprate i got after i farmed SW chests a bunch 2/3 charged cores in a week.

This is however obviously also possible with RNG. since every DR (as it seems atleast) has its own personal signature on looting mobs etc. What is possible however, because i have not extensively enough farmed SW to actually notice a big difference in charged core droprate from just SW, is that the luck of the draw just was not with me, since i did get other cores after it. What is possible however, since ive met this ‘exact’ same thing multiple times in gw2 in my personal experience, that many of those experiences are part of an illusion.

ErazorZ.5209

It is relevant to me and to whom i speak with ingame about it tho. Since i now have more knowledge on how the system works i can better understand it. Instead of guess what seems obvious at the time with less knowledge.

This is why i thank John Smith for his response because the entire notion of ‘mob only DR’ taught me more then i could figure out from what i could find about the topic.

Ofcourse not every question is filled, but i understand just as anyone the devs here dont have all the spare time in the world, so i will save everyone the effort of trying to clarify it all. And i might just see it someday in someone elses questions.

Hence a thank you(again) to John Smith for clarifying and taking the time for this.

Previous

John Smith.4610

Cheers sir.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

People seem to assume that “crap for drops” is an aberration caused by a problem. What if “crap for drops” is the norm, and streaks of luck are an aberration caused by the random nature of RNG? Every analysis I conduct of GW2 drops based on actual drop reports (there are some) and even anecdotes suggests that the latter is the case, not the former.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m confused how Champion Bags or other containers can have DR. You don’t have to open them when you receive them. They sit in a stack. How can you tell when you obtained one out of a stack? Some of mine sit in the bank for days, before I open them on another character.

If one believes that containers have DR, then it would be the character than was affected, and not the loot container. If that was the case, then all one would have to do, is open the containers on a variety of characters to ‘break’ any DR streak.

Very confusing.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

What if “crap for drops” is the norm, and streaks of luck are an aberration caused by the random nature of RNG? Every analysis I conduct of GW2 drops based on actual drop reports (there are some) and even anecdotes suggests that the latter is the case, not the former.

This.

Obtena.7952

It is relevant to me and to whom i speak with ingame about it tho. Since i now have more knowledge on how the system works i can better understand it. Instead of guess what seems obvious at the time with less knowledge.

This is why i thank John Smith for his response because the entire notion of ‘mob only DR’ taught me more then i could figure out from what i could find about the topic.

Ofcourse not every question is filled, but i understand just as anyone the devs here dont have all the spare time in the world, so i will save everyone the effort of trying to clarify it all. And i might just see it someday in someone elses questions.

Hence a thank you(again) to John Smith for clarifying and taking the time for this.

You misunderstand my meaning. I get that the content in the thread is significant to you; no argument there. I’m speaking about the statistical relevance of the data that people are using to conclude (again) that there is some massive DR conspiracy theory affecting their accounts.

Posted by: Crell.6401

Crell.6401

I don’t suppose you could check my karma DR? I’m trying to build karma for T3 skins.. I have soo many obi shards from SW, but I need karma. Wish we had more uses for Obi Shards. I feel like I hit it at least 3 times in a 24hr period since the beta portal was announced. I’d like to know if thats all in my head.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

The only evidence they are privy to doesn’t have statistical relevance ofc. It doesn’t take much to conclude that you can’t expect them to use such when they are mostly denied the means to obtain/analyze it.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Agent Smith, any chance of an update to the rng thread? been three months since the last red post there

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

ErazorZ.5209

You misunderstand my meaning. I get that the content in the thread is significant to you; no argument there. I’m speaking about the statistical relevance of the data that people are using to conclude (again) that there is some massive DR conspiracy theory affecting their accounts.

If you ask me its mostly because there are no concrete awnsers from anet. Yes devs try to explain it enough so it wont hurt the game. But its like area 51, because of secrecy and possiblity, no matter how slim, the chance is there that aliens exist. Aslong as you are convinced enough, by, be it personal experiences of living there and seeing flying stuff that doesnt look like a plain, or just communicating with people who have done ‘extensive research’ no matter the source.

I mean im not saying it was aliens, but…

You get my drift? Aslong as secrets arent unveiled, people will ponder and wonder about the possibilities. And if you ask me its natural that if you for instance take a solid stance (like i tried to do) to show people, something i was convinced of happening. There will always be the possibility that it might be happening unless something unveils the shroud and opens the eyes. Like john did, with saying something as little as that DR does work in different areas and different aspects.

The thing is, this is a complicated matter, simply because anet cannot show the entire sourcecode because that would mean people would try to find a way to abuse it (be it try to get the most out of something for the time there is no DR yet and quit instantly with doing said thing when they calculated from the source when DR is supposed to hit)

I was really wondering myself why this same occurance kept happening to me and thought it might be something coded. But since RNG and DR are different things used in different ways to aquire loot, there could not be a system in place for that since it would not always be the same (a system). So in my perspective, i mightve been looking too hard at it, trying to discover how it works. And once i reached a certain point of certainty, i tried to educate people about it, by hopping on the forums, to make it stop. Because in all fairness if what i was saying would actually be correct, i feel it would be bad for the game. As ive expressed that concern enough i hope.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Here’s some real numbers, based on my last 3 hours of doing events in SW…I’m not going to break everything down and this only relates to Event DR:
Did 3 straight Red Rock Bull escorts and the results were as follows:

*Run 1: 18669 Exp, 378 K 88 C the bonus chest contained 3 Crests 5 Piles of Sand

*Run 2: 18669 Exp, 378 K 88 C the bonus chest contained 2 Crests 1 Shovel 5 Sand

*Run 3: 12135Exp, 246 K 57 C the bonus chest contained 3 Crests 5 Piles of Sand

So, only on the third escort of the Red Rock Bull and already DR for the Event is kicking in, so I went and did the Defend Red Rock, followed by Rubble and back to Escort.

*Defend: 18669 Exp, 378 K 88 C the bonus chest contained 12Crests 1 Shovel 2 Bags

*Rubble: 18669 Exp, 378 K 88 C the bonus chest contained 2 Crests 4 Piles of Sand

*Escort Bull: 18669 Exp, 378 K 88 C the bonus chest contained 2 Crests 6 Piles of Sand

*Defend: 18669 Exp, 378 K 88 C the bonus chest contained 15 Crests 3 Bags 15 Bloodstone

This was immediately followed by the Breach, I did some further testing until reset, but the results are the same. You can draw your own conclusion, but event DR kicks in relatively quickly, however, just by rotating events you can mitigate it entirely so you’ll never experience it. Secondly it does not affect the Bonus chest at all, so it only affects the Exp, Karma and Gold you get from event completion.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Wait, they can check individual accounts to see if they have hit DR? Thats actually pretty neat!

It would be neat if they let us check it via in-game. It would probably more confusion than it’s worth though.

Obtena.7952

You get my drift?

Completely. Still, a person’s lack of understanding or their complete understanding doesn’t change the reality. This is where my hang up is with threads like this. There is what actually happens, then what a person says happens. People seem to not have faith accepting how it works when ANet tells them how it works, but have NO problem having faith in random guy with no data telling them how it works.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

So are you saying he hit DR somewhere near the beginning of April?

…or are you saying that’s as far back as you checked?

Either way…. the playerbase need more transparency when it comes to the stipulations on hitting DR. I feel that a lot of us are wasting our time farming an area and not getting loot… because we’ve hit the DR wall. (but have no way to tell)

Can you at least outline the basics regarding how a player does indeed hit DR?

Can you get DR from opening champ bags?

What about ToT bags or Wintersday gifts?

There are so many questions we have, and instead of elaborating, you respond with terse one line answers.

Is there any intention to add a message to the game’s event log, that tells a player his rewards have been reduced due to overfarming?

We can answer the questions ourselves if we could visually see when/if we are hitting DR.

…but as it sits right now… DR is completely shrouded in mystery…. and it shouldn’t be.

(edited by TheBlackLeech.9360)

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Either way…. the playerbase need more transparency when it comes to the stipulations on hitting DR. I feel that a lot of us are wasting our time farming an area and not getting loot… because we’ve hit the DR wall. (but have no way to tell)

There are so many questions we have, and instead of elaborating, you respond with terse one line answers.

Is there any intention to add a message to the game’s event log, that tells a player his rewards have been reduced due to overfarming?

We can answer the questions ourselves if we could visually see when/if we are hitting DR.

…but as it sits right now… DR is completely shrouded in mystery…. and it shouldn’t be.

To stop the evil bots from developing better AI for their bots, they likely won’t divulge exactly how you get DR as that would tell the bot makers how to code their bots to better avoid DR.

TheBlackLeech.9360

To stop the evil bots from developing better AI for their bots, they likely won’t divulge exactly how you get DR as that would tell the bot makers how to code their bots to better avoid DR.

…which is the worst reason to implement any sort of policing.

Punishing players who are just trying to enjoy themselves because of the actions of botters and goldsellers.

Want to send everyone in your dungeon team a potion of slaying?
Nah you can’t. Because some gold seller once sent three e-mails to different people so everyone is now limited to two.

Half the time these “fixes” to prevent botters and gold sellers don’t even stop the bots but hinder regular players.

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

I still have nightmares about naked rangers killing the same mobs over and over in Frostgorge and the train of guardian bots farming a certain spot in Cursed Shores.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

…which is the worst reason to implement any sort of policing.

Punishing players who are just trying to enjoy themselves because of the actions of botters and goldsellers.

Want to send everyone in your dungeon team a potion of slaying?
Nah you can’t. Because some gold seller once sent three e-mails to different people so everyone is now limited to two.

Half the time these “fixes” to prevent botters and gold sellers don’t even stop the bots but hinder regular players.

The hush on DR methods I understand.

I do think the mail suppression is tuned too harshly. It should be at least 4 players before you get suppressed for the example you gave. Giving your dungeon party members some food buffs.

Aidan Savage.2078

He’s saying that was the LAST time he hit monster-DR.

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

While we got thrown a bone, I want to reiterate that the devs are careful to reveal too much information about diminishing returns, because they don’t want bot runners to figure out the system and work around it.

Also be realistic, they are not going to run through and tell everyone what their DR is individually, but John posted here to make a point, not customer service a single person.

Posted by: Nick.7259

Nick.7259

I would love to get more officla statements about how MF works, especially when new mechanics and phrasing is introduced like in SW and bandit chests and like the account, or no account MF during Lunar New Year event (both phrasings were used for the same items) as well as DR but I guess I have to respect that the war against bot takes presidence.

Anyway, one test I did myself, although I suspected the answer, was collecting 2000 embroidered purses from SW and then opening 1000 at MF 800 and afterwards opening 1000 at MF 304 and compare the drops/salvages.

Well, the data I collected show absolutely no significant difference in loot, salvage results or any DR – as suspected (even though there are many popular theories out there).

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

Cheers sir.

Is GW2 using the Mersenne Twister for RNG?

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: Shikigami.4013

Shikigami.4013

No he is not. That is merely how you interpret what he wrote.
I interpret it completely different: He checked the character in question all the way back to the beginning of the month of april, to see if it had hit DR during that time. He found out that it did not.

Youtube “L2villagejester”.
People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me
Same for people posting only to tell others not to post (“deal with it”-posts)

TheBlackLeech.9360

No he is not. That is merely how you interpret what he wrote.
I interpret it completely different: He checked the character in question all the way back to the beginning of the month of april, to see if it had hit DR during that time. He found out that it did not.

…and this is why I asked.

How are we even supposed to follow this trail of breadcrumbs?

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I wonder if it would be possible to have a small junk item start to drop when you hit DR, as a way to tell you “Maybe it’s time to try something new”.

If it’s only a chance to drop, but a decent chance, then people won’t know for sure when they hit DR, just that they’re in it once the item appears in their loot. Yes, some people would find it annoying to be told they’ve hit DR, but I’d think they’d be annoyed anyway by getting only bad loot. At least this would tell them what’s happening so they can adjust for it.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Depends on how you look at it. 1 thing i’m 100% sure with makes your claim at least partly wrong: The event reward diminishing return for sure has kicked in to the player you are referring to. 15 (around) Events in silverwaiste is enough to lower the 18000 experience to drop to 17k 16k very fast down to almost nothing (600 exp if you keep spamming silverwaistes). That DR has definitely been reached by him who plays more silverwaistes then me, and I got it already by playing SW 1 hour. Sure it’s technically not loot, but the exp, (can give loot if use wisely), Karma (also sort of loot) and money (definitely loot) of events are nerfed heavely this way.

I think there’s two levels of DR. The ‘super hard nerf, that you litteraly almost can’t get loot nerf, to stop excessive abuse/bot farming, etc. John smith talks about this one.

Then their is the minor magic find substractor if you do the same thing (especially in pve) for 30mins at least. But that magic find substraction that you don’t talk about, (you have your reason, I understand), is there. I took enough breaks from certain playstyles to come back to them, to leave them to play them again to know it. Same with char switching. This minimal magic find substractor, wich you for some reason don’t see as DR defining yet is there. Though honestly your loot most of time is still decent with this MF nerf, especially if you do hardcore, like non stop chest farming etc. Sometimes you get ‘no rare, almost no greens, no t6 at all’ streak. And that doenst happen when i Just login. It always happens after longer period of time, in same gamemode. You can deny the two tiers of DR (and only admit the heavy DR variant), but it’s there. Maybe you play yourself to few to know it, or it’s a result of another code that you don’t realize is there that also nerfs loot.

And no i’m not gonna respond to ‘you are wrong’ posts. This is my experience/opinion after 9000 hours of gameplay. I’m sure others have other experience/opinions, doenst mean you gotta use it to change others peope opinions.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.