If you don't want me to farm, make not farming worth it.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Darmikau.9413

Darmikau.9413

I’m hearing rumors that farming got nerfed in the most recent update, and I’d believe it, because I just went 24 hours without farming a single event in Orr, and when I finally decided to do it, I’m getting about 1/2 the normal total loot and less than half the quality (half the # of blues and greens), even with 145% magic find.

I’d be okay with this if I actually knew another way to make money, but I don’t. The rewards for exploring, something I enjoy doing, are absolute garbage. Nothing below level 80 drops anything of value, and the exploration rewards is something like 20 silver for 2-3 hours of work.

The solution to farming is not to nerf farming, it’s to make not farming just as profitable. If you nerf farming people will still bot the farming, because they don’t actively participate anyway. Meanwhile all the players who casually farm just leave the game. I’m not even exploiting the farming – I’m doing 2-6 events, going to work on my explorer for a couple of hours, then coming back. Rinse and repeat. I haven’t abused dungeons or exploits. Is even THAT not within the paradigm on “no farming, no grind?” Working to get high end gear is fun for me. What’s not fun is having every single way I’ve found to make a bit of cash nerfed into the ground, so that it takes me so long to get end-game gear that I just give up – because there’s only so much “fun” I can have not farming before I realize it’s going to take me months of play just to make progress. I get the whole “work hard and long” for your gear sentiment, but there’s a little thing called present value, and when you keep increasing the time it takes to get anything cool, you’ve worked so long and hard that you’ve discounted the awesomeness of having that gear into 0. There are negative returns to scale here. If something is too easy to get, everyone has it and getting it is lame. If it’s just right, some people have it, but not everyone, and getting it is AWESOME. If something is too hard to get, then nobody has it, but getting it isn’t any cooler because you have to bust your mule for so long that you stop having fun trying to obtain it, and then you buy it and look back and say “the coolness of this doesn’t make up for all the time I wasted trying to get it.”

I’d actually decided to go for Tier 3 human cultural, despite the fact that it’s non-max and grossly overpriced, because I really like how it looks. If you really have nerfed the event I’ve been farming, I’m not sure I’m going to be able to afford the armor with anything less than 2 months of playing – and I’m someone who still manages to get in a solid 6-8 hours of play a day, at least. I can’t imagine how anyone who has work, or a more rigorous schedule, can possibly afford to purchase anything above rare gear.

I hope you have something big planned in terms of content updates soon, because all that’s happening right now is that you’re trying to sting botters while crippling legitimate players, encouraging auction sharking and exploitation, and in general, you’re really just making it seem like a player’s ability to make money is cutting into your bottom line (read: gems). I’d like the believe Anet is better than that, but all these recent changes are making it really hard to think otherwise, as evidenced by the increasing number of conspiracy threads.

I really hope you guys have some kind of plan for this. Going back to GW1 looks more and more promising with each update, where you can actually reach the carrot on the stick. Also that carrot has max nutrition and beauty. Also you can buy slightly uglier but equally nutritional carrots for 1/10th the price so everyone has a fair chance of eating healthy, and the beautiful carrots don’t take trans-continental distances of jogging before you get them.

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

Agree with the OP.. farmers and botters haven’t been a problem for me at all. Gold spammers are the only problem players I’ve encountered, and they can be reported for their antics.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: Tyranniss.4167

Tyranniss.4167

I also have to agree. I’m not a big fan of farming but you do what you have to do to make coins and to gather the crafting mats you’re going to need to craft. Right now with the anti-farming codes in-game I feel like I’m the one being punished and not the botters. Botters don’t sit in front of there computers and farm. Hence the use of a bot.. Stop Punishing your Legitimate Customers for what botters/gold sellers are doing in-game.

Posted by: davelid.1984

davelid.1984

I agree wholeheartedly with everyone here. There’s no good way to make money with how ANet is nerfing absolutely every single legitimate source of income while not touching botters, server switching ori farmers, and mystic forge legendary exploiters.

Posted by: MrsAngelD.6971

MrsAngelD.6971

I plan on playing GW2 for a long time to come. I’m disabled so I don’t work, I spend probably 12 hours a day logged into GW2 (Though admittedly I’m not always playing a lot of times I’m chit chatting with guildies & friends). Hitting 80 doesn’t seem like a big deal to accept that I’ll have access to more content to try. But I don’t want it to take forever to have something cool in game. We really need a better way to earn money for those wonderful looking high end pieces you guys put out there. Nerfing everything into the ground in the hopes that you’ll stop botters isn’t really the answer because in the process you’re only ticking off your legitimate customers.

(edited by MrsAngelD.6971)

Posted by: Artorous.8573

Artorous.8573

They nerfed the rewards you get for completing events over and over again. They did not nerf mob drops of any kind. If you’re not getting as many drops that’s RNG for you. Even with my 200%+ MF set I rarely got anything while doing events, and that was before this so called nerf. 200% added onto 1% is only a 3% chance in total after all and RNG is RNG.

Posted by: Duckzor.4327

Duckzor.4327

Yep. They keep nerfing and nerfing to make this game even more of a grind.

Thief WvW Solo Roam Video

http://youtu.be/MHEU8oCFxrE

Artorous.8573

If you spread your events out, instead of doing the exact same path over and over again, you won’t notice any change at all. Funny how they want you to do different things, which you consider a grind, yet you’re fine running the same things over and over again, which is what a grind actually is.

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Good post OP, well put. Here’s to hoping ANet reads.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

If you spread your events out, instead of doing the exact same path over and over again, you won’t notice any change at all.

From all accounts it applies to all events across the world so yes you will notice it.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Artorous.8573

If you spread your events out, instead of doing the exact same path over and over again, you won’t notice any change at all.

From all accounts it applies to all events across the world so yes you will notice it.

Really? Odd, I haven’t noticed any change what so ever. I would say wherever you are getting your information from is incorrect.

Posted by: PinkRage.5120

PinkRage.5120

Funny. Been farming 1 type of mob for 8 hours straight.
Drop rates remains the same.
No idea what code you guys are whining about.

[iLy] is now recruiting.
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

I plan on playing GW2 for a long time to come. I’m disabled so I don’t work, I spend probably 12 hours a day logged into GW2 (Though admittedly I’m not always playing a lot of times I’m chit chatting with guildies & friends). Hitting 80 doesn’t seem like a big deal to accept that I’ll have access to more content to try. But I don’t want it to take forever to have something cool in game. We really need a better way to earn money for those wonderful looking high end pieces you guys put out there. Nerfing everything into the ground in the hopes that you’ll stop botters isn’t really the answer because in the process you’re only ticking off your legitimate customers.

Actually, being 80 comes with a lot of responsibilities.

I think the game design got it backwards.

In most other games, guildwars included, once you hit max level, thats the end of your worries, you get geared up, you start exploring having fun and checking out the aspects of the game you want to check out.

In guildwars2 once you max your level, the cost of living in tyria is so high, after you’ve suited up, you cant even afford to travel to far places without paying a exorbitant fee because and anything you do wont yield as much monetary compensation anymore since you’ve done all your stories, instead what its trying to make you do is to grind heart events and complete the map 100% but then what when you finish those?

Wheres your income going to come from?
Dungeons? forget that, they want explorable to be so hard that only fully organized teams can make any sort of profit from it.

Gemstore? I thought the point of the gemstore was for cosmetic upgrades not as a means for me to barely etch out a living on a GAME just to enjoy its content.

Posted by: alfista.6094

alfista.6094

In guildwars2 once you max your level, the cost of living in tyria is so high, after you’ve suited up, you cant even afford to travel to far places without paying a exorbitant fee because and anything you do wont yield as much monetary compensation anymore since you’ve done all your stories, instead what its trying to make you do is to grind heart events and complete the map 100% but then what when you finish those?

After reading this, one would think the only source of money are hearts and story. I am having no such problems with travel expenses since doing one dynamic pretty much covers the entire fee. And that’s not considering all of the junk the mobs drop. How did you manage to get yourself suited up then? It’s not like hearts are raining gold.

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.