If you thought HoT & LS3 were bad...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

(This post is mostly directed at very old players.)

I’d like to remind people that 3-4 years ago, we were sitting here on these same forums talking about how we were in the worst storyline ever, completing random mediocre objectives all around Tyria while chasing around some crazy Sylvari we didn’t know who apparently had a plan but everything seemed random and unconnected and pretty much all the same complaints as now.

The storylines have issues, but you need to not look at the past through rose-tinted glasses; LS1 was widely regarded by the community as a very long, very convoluted and completely nonsensical storyline that many feel had to be utterly abandoned (by the awakening of Mordremoth) just to solve its multitude of problems.

The first few years of the game piggybacked on the hype of a few very well designed, and very well executed episodes like Battle for Lion’s Arch.

Say the name “Scarlet” to yourself, shudder a bit, then be more open going forward.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Posted by: PuppyMonkeyBabyJosephSayer.3601

PuppyMonkeyBabyJosephSayer.3601

They were good, no one will agree with you, all of it is related and I’m sorry you’re not pleased with anything.

Posted by: Boogiepop Void.6473

Boogiepop Void.6473

I wouldn’t know since they refuse to make LS1 replayable.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Hannelore is right. LS1 was a mess, far worse than LS3 was in most respects. With that said, though, LS1 had Scarlet acting like an inconsistent idiot. LS3 has our character doing the same, which is worse. For every step forward, there’s been a step back.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: blade eyes.2034

blade eyes.2034

I know that a lot of people didn’t like Scarlet at the time, but I thought she was a good villain. I also thought at the time that the Sylvaris were some how connected to a 6 elder dragon because of the dream that Sylvari players had at the beginning of the game. Anyway, on to HoT. I didn’t think it was bad, but I did not think it was good either. In fact, I felt like the 50$ price wasn’t worth it, and I was going to wait for it to go on sell, but my Guildies <3 bought it for me. In addition, I wasn’t one of those so called “Veteran players” who complained that the core game went Play For Free. In fact, I thought it was a good thing to open the door for more players. I also felt I got a lot out of my 60$ that I paid back in 2012, and that was the only time I paid for anything. Lastly, the size of the new maps in this expansion looks promising, unlike HoT, and the 30$ feels like the right price to me. Thus, I’ll be buying this expansion.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

I preferred LS1 model, it kept me playing, not really interested in these new storylines.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Theege.9783

Theege.9783

HoT wasn’t terrible, but LSS1 and 3 were both equally bad for different reasons. S1 had the mind numbing events, S3 had storylines shoot off in different directions way to quickly. S1 had Scarlet, one of the biggest and annoying Sue characters ever created, S3 makes Balthazar a villain because once again, kitten humans they never did the world any good. Both suffered from very bad writing, although S1 almost wins in that instance because Scarlet lends overwhelming support. ‘Course, this is balanced by the writing that decided that we’d drop the core story of GW2 at the drop of a hat.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

The first half of LS1 was certainly a mess. I didn’t do most of the things because they bored me horribly. However, the latter half with Tower of Nightmares, Marionette, Battle for LA were fun as hell. MUCH more fun than anything that happened this season. Marionette is still one of my favorite boss fights in this game. The Silver Wastes boss is just a pale imitation of it unfortunately.

That alone makes LS1 better than LS3. LS3 had a mess of a story and I wasn’t very engaged. I was either ambivalent about what was going on or hated it. Like when Anet foolishly made my character make a bloody oath to the Shining Blade. I’m still annoyed about that. Hated that last episode for a lot of things though. Hated the way they just threw in Livia out of the blue with no set up. Hated how they brought back Laz for 5 seconds only to kill him off. And everything that happens in these episodes is instanced with no huge impacts on the world around you anyway.

I will take LS1 over LS3 any day for those big battles alone. As for LS2, that at least had an interesting story, though it was too short.

Posted by: blade eyes.2034

blade eyes.2034

The first half of LS1 was certainly a mess. I didn’t do most of the things because they bored me horribly. However, the latter half with Tower of Nightmares, Marionette, Battle for LA were fun as hell. MUCH more fun than anything that happened this season. Marionette is still one of my favorite boss fights in this game. The Silver Wastes boss is just a pale imitation of it unfortunately.

That alone makes LS1 better than LS3. LS3 had a mess of a story and I wasn’t very engaged. I was either ambivalent about what was going on or hated it. Like when Anet foolishly made my character make a bloody oath to the Shining Blade. I’m still annoyed about that. Hated that last episode for a lot of things though. Hated the way they just threw in Livia out of the blue with no set up. Hated how they brought back Laz for 5 seconds only to kill him off. And everything that happens in these episodes is instanced with no huge impacts on the world around you anyway.

I will take LS1 over LS3 any day for those big battles alone. As for LS2, that at least had an interesting story, though it was too short.

I agree, what made season 1 great is the big world events, and I think they should reintroduce that somehow. Instead of the mini maps that they are adding, which are dead after a new episode come out.