If you won a million dollars

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: katniss.6735

katniss.6735

Q:

What would you buy from the gem store if you won a million dollars?

Server: Maguuma – Leafy Lass – Elementalist (WvW)
Guild: Bill Murray [Bill]/ [DERP]
twitch.tv/mlgw2

Posted by: Sevans.4619

Sevans.4619

Permanent Super Adventure Box Contract

Saethe — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Maguuma

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

If I won a million dollars the last thing I would think about is the gem store or even GW2 as a whole. I’d invest the money. I’d probably put about 30% in local real estate since the market is on the upswing where I live. Then again, I’ll never win a million dollars because I don’t spend my money on extra taxes otherwise known as the lottery.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Abdel Muhti.6431

Abdel Muhti.6431

I would stay poor and give Anet the money to add bunnyears and aviator glasses to the gemshop again.

Posted by: JackSpacer.4320

JackSpacer.4320

Uhm….a spot on the dev team so I could implement permanent SAB. :p

“The hype is real.”

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

Prolly nothin. I’d wind up buying a new luxury motor home, tow a new jeep wrangler behind it, and be way so far out fishing there’d be no broadband within 100 miles. Or a 5th wheel and a HD 4×... decisions decisions…Too way out for gw2, but maybe spreadsheets online over cellphone data
But yeah, maybe you should’ve just said like $500…
Bow huntin too! I’d never come back.

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

I wouldn’t spend a million on GW2. Maybe a thousand of it over time… but not a million. I’d follow daywolf’s idea but not be so luxury on the mobile home… Maybe 100k at most on it, then i’d tour the country camping at various spots.

Gotta keep cell signal for me so i can play GW2. No internet = no dice.

Little red Lioka

Posted by: katniss.6735

katniss.6735

I said a million dollars because it takes practically a million dollars to get anything worthwhile. Or a billion gold.

Server: Maguuma – Leafy Lass – Elementalist (WvW)
Guild: Bill Murray [Bill]/ [DERP]
twitch.tv/mlgw2

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

I’d invest it all in silver/gold, then either keep it for the next major economy crash or keep it til I die. Just because shinies.

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

Posted by: Lemuria.3195

Lemuria.3195

First up, I’d get an extra character slot and max out my crafting storage. I’d get all the fashions I wanted and invest the rest in gold.

Then I’d buy Kudzu and Bifrost. They’re so pretty…

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

If I had $1m I would put it in my savings account.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

give it to the poor , oh wait i am the poor, so i give myself, sounds about right, charity pitches !

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

give it to the poor , oh wait i am the poor, so i give myself, sounds about right, charity pitches !

I am also poor. You should give it to me.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If I had a million dollars I’d probably be playing GW2 a lot less. I’d put most of it in a savings account, or maybe try to learn about investing it and I’d buy a house at some point, but I’d also use some of it to go travelling. Maybe take that volunteer position in the Galapagos Islands I always wanted to do but couldn’t because I can’t afford to get there.

I said a million dollars because it takes practically a million dollars to get anything worthwhile. Or a billion gold.

It costs 233,200 gems, or 2,915 US dollars to get every single item currently in the gem store. (Or 68,982g 76s 49c at the current exchange rate.)

That includes buying the maximum of 59 extra character slots and buying all the extra bag slots for all of them, buying all the bank tabs and storage expanders, buying every single finishers, mail animation, permanent gathering tool, outfit etc.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

Because money has no real value I would buy ground, a house, a robust car and a weapon or two as soon as possible. Yeah and a computer (or two )

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

The unicorn finisher.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: Conski Deshan.2057

Conski Deshan.2057

Nothing because I’d be making a property investment in the real world.
That and because a games meant to be about your abilities not how much money you can chuck at it~.

[RoF] and [BL] guild leader
11x level 80’s 80+ Titles 2600+ skins , still a long way to go.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Nothing.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I would buy 800 gems , build a study fund for my 2 daughters, pay off the house, buy my wife a new car and redo the bathroom and the toilet, and get a decent set of chairs to sit on. I have no chairs whatsoever in the house made for a guy 2m tall… which tends to be a problem as I am 2m04…

I could enjoy a holiday flying business or first class having some room for my legs, or enjoy a weekend in paris or whatever going by train sitting reasonably..

Oh and I’d buy a flatscreen Tv. and hang it high on the wall so my 4 yr old doesn’t want to sit with her head in the old CRT TV all the time, so we can enjoy and talk about her programs instead of her hairdo… Though she has limited screen time. She does like it… and with 10+ dedicated childrens channels there allways seems to be a favorite program on tv, That was way different 35 yrs ago…

I would.. If I could…

And maybe I’d set aside 10k for a new PC and buy everything which is over the top. a Dual processor Xeon system with 4 GTX 980 Ti’s or titan blacks based on all SSD’s and 64 Gigs… and buy 2 28" 4k screens and a VR headset.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Permanent Super Adventure Box Contract

is that real?

For me, I would pay Anet to make more Heavy Armor outfits for Scholar and Adventure classes to rock….

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

Obviously I’d buy keys for the millions of Black Lion Chests I’ve got.

(I’m not serious)

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

If I won multiple millions, then I would probably just buy everything. But just a million, I’ve got other priorities.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Not a lot – maybe a decent amount of gems to gold, to kit out my character in whatever gear I wanted, including any legendaries.

A few outfits and gemstore weapon skins, one or two finishers, the tab/inventory expanders and a few other bits and bobs.

Anything that means I can play whatever I like in the game whenever and never have to consider grinding (doing something I don’t want to do ie silverwastes) for gold to get some nice gear or whatever.

But that wouldn’t cost more than a few hundred £ I think, so the other 99% of the winnings would of course be for more important things.

Lyp Sao.1375

I would buy anet

Fight the queens

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I would buy anet

I think you highly overestimate the value of 1 million dollars.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Lyp Sao.1375

I would buy anet

I think you highly overestimate the value of 1 million dollars.

symbolic value after the crash

Fight the queens

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

If I had $1m I would put it in my savings account.

One of the better suggestions then those who would just blow it. However savings accounts have one of the worst RR in regards to investing. Diversify in IRAs, Bonds, or take a chance with stocks.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

One million dollars isn’t that much nowadays.

Maybe enough to pay for rent for 10 years or so.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: HelloKittyZOMG.1875

HelloKittyZOMG.1875

I hate to say this, but I would not spend a million dollars on the GW2 store. Truth is I would donate some of the money to pay off my local church. I would use the rest to buy toys and food for kids that are in need. I would probably buy a trailer to pull up beside our house for our daughter one day. Maybe even buy another vehicle, probably a van. Anything leftover would be saved up for my child(s) future.

Posted by: Sevans.4619

Sevans.4619

Sheesh, tell me where you’re living so I can stay far, far away from that place.

Saethe — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Maguuma

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

I would gift everyone at Ministers waypoint a Moose mini, because Mooses are cool and then I would find a way to kill the Royal Terrace greeter for tossing me out on my backside so many times

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

(edited by Muusic.2967)

Posted by: Beda Zzle.5281

Beda Zzle.5281

If I won a million bucks I’d first off buy THE BEST TOP OF THE LINE gaming system.. with all accessories! and a 3d monitor. (I’d keep my mouse but buy the same as a back up) and then I’d pay off my mortgage and all debts AND THEN I’d buy in game all the mini pets and all the costumes.. none of the finishers cause who sticks a round to see them.. and buy ALOT of gems to change into gold since I hoard all my mats… I have the armor I want already (except for skins, still waiting for that skin that will fit my asura just right!) Oh and I’d help my Mom and my siblings with anything they needed!!

Posted by: MrWubzy.3587

MrWubzy.3587

I’d get the best possible gaming laptop for my wife, and then the best possible gaming PC for me. Then I’d get our truck’s insurance set up for at least five years, pay our rent five years in advance, fix the stupid truck bed, and finally invest in a couple of things using around 200,000. I’d give around 100,000 to my mom and dad to help them with house repairs, and 50,000 to my grandmother to help with her medical expenses.

The rest goes to charity.

| Biyx [Guardian] ; Aika Vonelli [Ranger] |
| Proud roleplayer! |
| Biyx’s All-For-Nothing Challenge |

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

Nothing. I don’t support the cash-shop business model.

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

And yet here you still are, despite it being extremely clear long before release that it would have a cash-shop to finance the game.

Might I inquire as to which model you would support?
And no, F2P without a cash-shop is not a working model.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Danikat.8537

Sure, if your rent is $8,400 a month.

$1,000,000 / 10 = $100,000
$100,000 / 12 = $8,333.33 (reoccurring)

I’m sure there are places that cost that much. But if that’s the case you’d be much, much better off buying a place, especially if you had a million dollars. You wouldn’t even need a mortgage for many places, just pay up front and then you’ve got the property as an investment and a place to live.

(For reference a quick Google search tells me the average rent in New York City in January 2015 was $3,365. And given I picked NYC on the basis that it’s probably one of the most expensive places in the USA to live I assume it’s entirely possible to get a decent house for much less than $8,000 a month.)

Also you don’t have to live entirely off that money, there’s no reason you couldn’t keep working after getting a million dollars. You’d just have that added security which would maybe allow you to find a job you love without worrying about how well it pays, or take extra unpaid holiday or fewer hours.

One of my colleagues had a really cool idea IMO. If he won the lottery he would donate the money to a wildlife charity or organisation like the Natural History Museum to fully fund research into something he wants to study, on condition that they hire him to do the job. Basically creating his own dream job. I’d probably steal that idea if I ever won. (Although that would require me to play the lottery.)

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

If I won a million dollars I’d invest the money in holographic landscaping and wait until the physical landscaping industry was almost defunct at which point I would buy up every remaining company with any ties to physical landscaping and lawn care, then I’d manipulate the media into revealing that prolonged exposure to holograms causes a rare form of chronic flatulence that if left unchecked will within a few years cause the planet’s atmosphere to reverse direction and throw everybody into space, and while everyone scrambled like mad to go back to real grass lawns and bushes and trees and stuff I’d become the wealthiest person on the planet, which is when I’d make NCSoft offers they couldn’t refuse to purchase City of Heroes/Villains and Guild Wars/GW2, and then I’d start my own game development company and put mounts in GW2.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

I’d pay Anet to make proper clothing for female Asura and Charr, and ask them to stop cutting corners. So sick of my Asura wearing male clothing.

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

None i would buy 2-3 houses out in the country for 100k or less rent 2 of them
live in the other and save the rest of it and do research / go back to school and find out how to make a business

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

i would pay anet to finally make fiery greatsword and jormags breath goodlooking like the gw1 versions where the flames actually came out of the dragons mouth

and where the dragons head didnt looks so god kitten ugly

such a waste of good design

but im pretty sure i would spend most of the money for things totally unrelated to gw2

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

(edited by Orangensaft.7139)

Posted by: TheFool.4589

TheFool.4589

I wouldn’t win cause you know….RNG is RNG….

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

If I were to win any money I definitely could find better ways to waste it than on the gem store (given I had to waste it). If I didn’t have to waste it then ofc I wouldn’t.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

I’d follow daywolf’s idea but not be so luxury on the mobile home… Maybe 100k at most on it, then i’d tour the country camping at various spots.

That’s about what they go for, motor homes, maybe a little more, some a little less (new). 5th wheels you can get a better deal, but then you need something decent to pull it. 40ft is about the max you would want, anyway, over that it can be hard to find a place to hook up in some regions, especially at US state/fed parks. But there are usually plenty of private parks, and land is pretty cheap for your own pad/s out in the great open spaces. Likely no “broadband” out there though, and maybe lucky to catch a 3g cell tower, or very lucky 4g… though I’ve played gw2 on 4g before and it can be problematic, especially those huge patches if you have a data cap.

Wat game is f2p? I really don’t play f2p’s. GW2 is a b2p, in which case I have no problems paying for expansions etc. Which one I support, I pref a small monthly charge and free expansions. That’s like another game… err called something like spreadsheets online, and it’s a really good model, especially for a sandbox mmo anyway.

Just because a game has a cash-shop doesn’t make it an f2p, hard to find a game w/o one. Now if you start paying for “gated content” through gems, then that’s a big problem for a model suppose to be sub or b2p, likely to get the majority of players pretty angry. Anyway, if you have been playing the game since launch, getting gems shouldn’t be much of an issue, you probably have most everything from the shop you wanted anyway. Cash-shops are really only targeted for the impulse spender, cant control their urges nor wallet, and are usually pretty young. There is a whole marketing psychology behind it, lots of publisher/developer papers on it floating around.

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

And yet here you still are, despite it being extremely clear long before release that it would have a cash-shop to finance the game.

B2P with expansions + No cash shop is best.
Sub-based with no cash shop is second.

And this topic was about how I’d spend the money; I play the game, but I will never sink a dime into the gem store.
Even if I had unlimited resources, I wouldn’t support a trend I disagree with.

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.

Posted by: Wolfey.3407

Wolfey.3407

Id buy every legendary and delete them and repeat it over and over again till Legendaries became account bound on creation.

Former PvP Forum Specialist
2015-2016
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

[…]

You forget the taxes.

Unless you are rich enough, you are not exempt of taxes. Apply taxes each year, and unless you are rich enough to simply be exempt from taxes (laws are made by rich for the rich, after all, so 80% of the taxes are paid by those with less than 20% of the wealth), all you have will be cut each year until there’s nothing. So the money can be used on corrupt schemes that redirect the money to the rich.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Dalnim.7682

Dalnim.7682

I would pay off my debts, buy a house/car. Upgrade my gaming rig/entertainment system. Then use the rest to fund my pro bowling career. When I did have time to play GW2,which I would make time for, I would buy whatever I felt like at the time. At the moment there is nothing I “want” from the gem store that I must have.

Dalnymn – Human – Necromancer
Rindyu – Human – Archer

Danikat.8537

[…]

You forget the taxes.

Unless you are rich enough, you are not exempt of taxes. Apply taxes each year, and unless you are rich enough to simply be exempt from taxes (laws are made by rich for the rich, after all, so 80% of the taxes are paid by those with less than 20% of the wealth), all you have will be cut each year until there’s nothing. So the money can be used on corrupt schemes that redirect the money to the rich.

I’m not that familiar with the tax system in the USA. I lived there for 9 months at one point but then the accommodation was provided by my employer so I wasn’t paying rent.

In the UK tenants don’t pay tax on their rent. You have to pay council tax, but that’s entirely separate. I assumed it worked much the same way over there.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

B2P with expansions + No cash shop is best.

They would have to charge a lot for the initial game and each xpac, for that to work, though.

If you think of WoW’s prices, they would probably end up wanting to charge at least $350 for the initial game and then, say, $250 for each xpac.

Not saying they would actually charge that, but if you removed the gemshop, that is probably around what you would be looking at charging, for a game to bring in around the same amount per player, as a game like WoW does (with their initial price + subs).

Obviously, I’m guesstimating here, to an extent, but still.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

[…]

You forget the taxes.

I’m not that familiar with the tax system in the USA. I lived there for 9 months at one point but then the accommodation was provided by my employer so I wasn’t paying rent.

In the UK tenants don’t pay tax on their rent. You have to pay council tax, but that’s entirely separate. I assumed it worked much the same way over there.

He’s talking about the tax for having that much money, not a rent tax.