Im attracted to perma death in games

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Invoker.5462

Invoker.5462

Perma death -OR- the dropping of all loot on death, i dont know why, but i feel like this makes MMO’s so much fun for so much longer! Can you imagine how many more guilds would work together so much more seriously, how many people would travel in massive groups, how much RP…. Just the thought makes me kitten. A HC mode of Guild wars 2, where loot tables are quadrupled in favor of the player, and mobs are taken more seriously!

Grr, not sure why i like this, maybe its an immersion thing?

[swear word removed by moderator]

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

Why not just delete your character when you die?

And honestly…

Just the thought makes me jisz.

If that’s the case, I’d think about getting out more.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

So you can loot corpses?

Posted by: Invoker.5462

Invoker.5462

Why not just delete your character when you die?

And honestly…

Just the thought makes me jisz.

If that’s the case, I’d think about getting out more.

Wow i didnt realize it would be so hard to comprehend this concept LOL

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

I am a Demon’s Souls / Dark Souls fan my self, but even those games didn’t have perma-death…

What you should ask is bigger penalties for death (loosing XP and/or Karma, or droping your all your Karma on the spot!)

…and don’t be toxic!

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

No, it has to be permanent death, otherwise there’s no thrill…

Deleting your character’s not the same…to easy to back out…

Its got to be, omg I have died, I played that character 1236 hrs, it had the ultimate equipment and now its ALL GONE!

That’s proper gaming…not die, die and die again…

The other games, I play beside GW2 are all hardcore only…

(edited by Meglobob.8620)

Posted by: Anglvamp.5632

Anglvamp.5632

Anyone with a legendary or a rare skin would be against this.

Death is always going to be trivial in games like this, any penalty can be over come eventually. Also, how would you loot soulbound items?

^.^

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

No, it has to be permanent death, otherwise there’s no thrill…

Deleting your character’s not the same…to easy to back out…

Its got to be, omg I have died, I played that character 1236 hrs, it had the ultimate equipment and now its ALL GONE!

That’s proper gaming…not die, die and die again…

The other games, I play beside GW2 are all hardcore only…

Oh just delete your character yourself. If you back out of it obviously you don’t really want it.

Sounds just like the nuzlocke challenge in pokemon. If they can get rid of their pokemon themselves, I’m sure you can man up too.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I suggest you go play D3 and rage when you die not because of your lack of skill but because the servers lagged out.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

So…you’re saying if I die, say due to lag….someone else should have the ability to come up to my corpse and steal the stuff I have on me?

And that, if by chance, I’m out on my own because people I play with aren’t on, I should be S.O.L?

Dear gods, it sounds like real life.
I die…someone else gets my kitten.
I get hit by a car, end up unconscious and bleeding out, and they drive off and no one else is a round, I’m totally boned.

Yeah…no thanks.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

I also would love this! I see it that when you die you spawn back in a major city and have to run back to your corpse to get your gear. In that time anyone could loot all of your gear. In PvP if you kill someone, you get their gear. I used to play a MUD like this and it was soooooo much fun.

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

Worst suggestion I’ve seen so far…
If you want that kind of game play I’d suggest going out of your way finding one…since you like torture anyway.
I’d like to suggest a few other things…But I’ll pass.

PS: I agree with others here…it’s not hard enforcing that yourself…or do you simply lack the discipline and needs the game to do it for you?

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Posted by: The Stain.4169

The Stain.4169

I think you should take it to the next level.

If you die in-game, then you die in real life. Just think how careful we would all be! I would spend the game in Lion’s Arch, maybe discover points that have no altitude, and that would be about it.

It would be awesome!

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

If you die in-game, then you die in real life. Just think how careful we would all be! I would spend the game in Lion’s Arch, maybe discover points that have no altitude, and that would be about it.

It would be awesome!

This would really incentivize RPing for me.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

Well I’d suggest the same thing gear progression supporters suggested old GW1 fans: Pretend that that’s how the game is. When you die for the first time, delete your character with everything that’s on him and make a rule not to never ever use the name you used for the character that died again. Done!

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Sounds like a great idea, but ONLY if they include a vest with a built in Taser.
You die in game, you get tased and knocked out for a few hours.
You could then play in an internet café, and when you died in game, passers by could loot your real world body as well. The ultimate RP experience!

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

Sounds just like the nuzlocke challenge in pokemon. If they can get rid of their pokemon themselves, I’m sure you can man up too.

I remember that, that was fun as kitten.

That said, in a game where so many people put in months of work for an item they equip, and many even buy gems to help get those items, making this a universal ruleset would frustrate everyone. If you want to try playing like this, just delete characters when you die. Or at least leave one character slot open to use with this playstyle.

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

Posted by: Cerpin.7839

Cerpin.7839

It’s kind of silly to propose hardcore aspects in a softcore environment. Most these folks wouldn’t know real pvp if it bit them on the kitten . I’d love to see that change made, but it will never happen. I definitely miss those early days of mmo’s, though.

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Never happen. Not enough of a customer base to pay for that kind of frustration. Best you can do is play permadeath on any game and be honest with yourself.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

I dunno. Has there been an MMO that has offered permadeath? I guess I should clarify something more then online versions of dungeon crawlers like Diablo and Path of Exile, but something like WoW or GW2 that offers so much to die to and greatly more to risk.

I think most people would be against it just for the whole, I spent like 900 hrs on this character and now they died due to lag, stupid monster mechanics, etc. You know, the usual.

I have had a few friends that did play WoW that way and some other older MMOs. They would delete their character when they died. This was also the same friends who would get high or something on the weekends and magically get a character to max level over the course of two days (their reasoning behind how it happened not me) and not remember a thing. But it takes a lot of self discipline or restraint to allow yourself to manually delete a character rather then the game doing it for you.

It’d be interesting to see it put into a game such as this though, but it really always seems like a unpopular option (I love playing hardcore in dungeon crawlers though but not something I would enjoy here personally). It would always generate activity instead of people being constantly plunged into high end content. A lot of MMOs have struggled with trying to deal with that problem, maybe this is the answer. Who knows. Up to someone to take the risk.

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

I played in an EQ2 Guild called Permadeath. Bunch of us got together for the challenge of it. Lasted about 6 months. But eventually, it got to be too much and most everyone drifted away.

It does change how you play though. Groups are far more cautious. Every move is planned. There were always at least 2 healers. Sometimes 3 paired with high dps classes.

Most of us kept concurrent toons running / leveling so we wouldn’t get left behind by the groups.

You still died though. Mostly by accident. And its pretty kitten hard to delete a high level toon, lol.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

That’s for kitten!

Perma-death should be: You die, you lost your account. Wanna, try again? Buy a new account.

Note: I find amusing how a “bad word” is replaced with another word meaning exactly the same -_-

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

(edited by daimasei.4091)

Posted by: Lukhas.1962

Lukhas.1962

Perma death -OR- the dropping of all loot on death, i dont know why, but i feel like this makes MMO’s so much fun for so much longer! Can you imagine how many more guilds would work together so much more seriously, how many people would travel in massive groups, how much RP…. Just the thought makes me kitten. A HC mode of Guild wars 2, where loot tables are quadrupled in favor of the player, and mobs are taken more seriously!

Play DayZ.

Posted by: Bassman.9245

Bassman.9245

challenge accepted!

save a character slot for “hardcore” and just play normally until you get to lvl 80 and full exotics, then screenshot your /deaths count

the bad thing is you can cheat with crafting, or playing guardian XD

Posted by: Parlourbeatflex.5970

Parlourbeatflex.5970

Wow, alot of people biting your head off.

I cant say its a game breaker, but It would be really cool to see a FFAPVP server, but only because theres not really a decent FFAPVP game out there without a subscription.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Wow, alot of people biting your head off.

I cant say its a game breaker, but It would be really cool to see a FFAPVP server, but only because theres not really a decent FFAPVP game out there without a subscription.

Thing is, other than maybe the secret world, can’t really think of other game
that would be les suited for a FFAPVP ruleset than GW2.

Dynamic events is the backbone of the PvE game, specially once you get to level 80, and most wouldn’t really work at all if you had people being able to hit each other with AoEs as well as targets, for example.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

I dunno. Has there been an MMO that has offered permadeath?

Trials of Ascension?

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

I dunno. Has there been an MMO that has offered permadeath?

Trials of Ascension?

Yeah I googled that question after writing that post and found that game. Glad to see someone is taking the incentive to see if it works. There is definitely an audience for it, even if it may be small. And surely there are more people that may want it and don’t know it yet. lol

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I dunno. Has there been an MMO that has offered permadeath? I guess I should clarify something more then online versions of dungeon crawlers like Diablo and Path of Exile, but something like WoW or GW2 that offers so much to die to and greatly more to risk.

I think most people would be against it just for the whole, I spent like 900 hrs on this character and now they died due to lag, stupid monster mechanics, etc. You know, the usual.

I have had a few friends that did play WoW that way and some other older MMOs. They would delete their character when they died. This was also the same friends who would get high or something on the weekends and magically get a character to max level over the course of two days (their reasoning behind how it happened not me) and not remember a thing. But it takes a lot of self discipline or restraint to allow yourself to manually delete a character rather then the game doing it for you.

It’d be interesting to see it put into a game such as this though, but it really always seems like a unpopular option (I love playing hardcore in dungeon crawlers though but not something I would enjoy here personally). It would always generate activity instead of people being constantly plunged into high end content. A lot of MMOs have struggled with trying to deal with that problem, maybe this is the answer. Who knows. Up to someone to take the risk.

Anarchy Online had lootable corpses on death as opposed to perma death. It needless to say was not popular and was removed early in its life (thankfully!!!).

It is a very niche market to make such a game – it simply wouldnt attract enough people to pay for it long term as an MMO. I think though Zombie U does it, although I barely played that. I’m fairly certain in GW2 ppl do play it this style and delete on death. Kudos to them for trying though, not my sort of thing, but it is interesting the different ways ppl play these games.

Posted by: Joseph Skyrim.2470

Joseph Skyrim.2470

You should try Wizardry Online then. There’s always a chance for perma-death on dying and running from the kitten ed reapers (who lessen your revive chance by 10% each time they “catch” your spirit) is terrifying.

As a bonus you can also die in some pretty horrible ways – beheading, cleaved in two, etc. ;p

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

And people think there are a lot of thieves now…..

Although the amount of green up arrows in wvw would probably explode. If anyone went in wvw at all.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

All the twilights I would have…

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

The day they bring this out is the day I quit GW2. And it’s a game it’s not meant to be taken seriously.. pfft.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Eladriel.7295

I am a Demon’s Souls / Dark Souls fan my self, but even those games didn’t have perma-death…

What you should ask is bigger penalties for death (loosing XP and/or Karma, or droping your all your Karma on the spot!)

No, I don’t want that either.. The death penalty is bad enough.

Eladriel.7295

You want perma death go play Darkfall.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

I actually think perma death would work for Guild Wars 2. I, for one, would enjoy receiving a lot more loot in return for my hard work in a hardcore mode. Anet would have to buff up a lot of the classes like the Ranger and the Necro so they could actually survive more than one hit though. So I don’t think it’s likely that a hardcore system would be implemented because everyone would just roll a guardian and be making some bank while destroying everything.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

how about you cannot delete your character from character slot also? so when it dies, you can only look at him in login screen but cant play it. and of course the slot becomes useless…

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

This has already been put forward just in last few weeks. It is completely possible for you to have perma death. Delete your character.

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

You don’t die in GW2 anyway.. you just get knocked out. I know it says number of deaths if you /deaths, but that is more for easier understanding. It was stated even before release that it was like that. So it would make more sense to kill of story characters.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

As someone who played Ultima Online, Shadowbane, Darkfall and STILL plays EVE Online…

You are out of your mind. I wouldn’t play a game with perma-death to save my life. Loot dropping? Yes. Loot and EQ dropping… sure, why not? Deleting my character? gtfo.

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

It would be awesome!

If dying in the game was the only way I could die, I’d leave it at the character selection screen. lol.

I’ve played Dead is Dead with Skyrim. It certainly enhances the thrill. It would change how WvW works that’s for sure. Would actually make it more enjoyable IMO.

They could, if they wanted, add another “world” (server/realm/whatever you want to call them) where dead is dead.

I’d certainly make a character on there.

As for looting, the player(s) who was involved in killing you would have a chance at getting one of your items as a reward. With certain exceptions…

Gem bought items like the sickle and pick that become character bound would be sent to your bank (or a special bank for this purpose that you can’t put items in yourself and have 24 hours to remove what is sent there). These items would no be account bound until bound to your next character.

Posted by: Pedra.4381

Pedra.4381

As someone who played Ultima Online, Shadowbane, Darkfall and STILL plays EVE Online…

You are out of your mind. I wouldn’t play a game with perma-death to save my life. Loot dropping? Yes. Loot and EQ dropping… sure, why not? Deleting my character? gtfo.

Did the hardcore mode of Diablo, was fun but different dynamics and not my cup of tea for long term play.

I’m a huge fan of both pre-trammel UO and Shadowbane because you could loot gear. It made you think about the odds a lot more. And enforcement of player behavior could be handled by players.

In UO it was possible to earn those perma-binding chits so you could keep your favorite weapon or armor but those were hard to come by and did nothing to protect all the other stuff you were required to carry to survive. I believe the most fun MMOs do have consequences to death.

JonPeters.5630:]I do still believe ranger is the profession in most need of improvement…

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Perma death -OR- the dropping of all loot on death, i dont know why, but i feel like this makes MMO’s so much fun for so much longer! Can you imagine how many more guilds would work together so much more seriously, how many people would travel in massive groups, how much RP….

Nobody would run in groups. Zerg meets zerg (WvW anyone?) and people die and your “allies” would scoop up your gear before ever thinking of rezzing you. People would play with all green gear, being too afraid of losing what was worked so hard for. Never understood this…it’s like having a glitchy Nintendo that randomly resets at any point in your game (no save points here). World 8 finally! <reset> Nooooo!!!! [Luigi picks up your tanooki suit] hey man!!!!

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

If you want this stuff do it yourself.

Perma-death? If you die, delete your character. If you end up backing out then you didn’t really want perma-death

Want people to be able to loot you when you die? When you die, send all your loot/money to the nearest player. Then delete that character because you wanted perma-death

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Posted by: Mimir.4690

Mimir.4690

I’ve died due to glitchy Jumping Puzzles before, and I would be pretty angry if it was permanent.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

For everyone suggesting delete your character, please stop.

You are needlessly bumping this thread without adding anything to the conversation. The OP obviously likes the risk factor involved in perma-death. Deleting your character isn’t risky.

You may think you are being funny, and maybe the first person sort-of was, but now you are not.

I too am against permanent death, but I do like the idea of higher risk or penalty for death. You can tell that deaths are meaningless, because months ago ANet decided to make it so you could not WP while your party was in combat during dungeon runs. This prevented corpse-rushing, cuz why both trying to figure out the mechanic when you can die pretty much penalty free?

I really liked in that MUD I played where your corpse was left with all the equipment out in the open for anyone to loot. You just had to run back to get it, simple enough, but you ran back in a panic! Anyone walking by could go “Wow! Score! Free lootz!!” I understand how that system may not work here, but I’d appreciate some higher risk factor.

Posted by: Anglvamp.5632

Anglvamp.5632

What’s the difference between you deleting your chara and the game doing it for you? Same result yes?

What penalty is going to be enough short of perma-death. Exp loss can be gained back, money can be earned. Say you only get once ‘life’ when going through a dungeon, just means people will be very careful on who they bring in.

^.^

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

It’s not really feasible unless you have 100% reliable hardware/internet/etc. Unless defeat can ONLY be attributed to the players abilities/mistakes, the whole idea is going to cause more problems that it’s worth.

I suppose the game could pull you out of fights and make you invincible the moment it detects lag or a disconnection but that opens up an entirely different can of worms.

Nope, can’t say I like this idea much. GW2 would be deleted the very second I found out they’d implemented something like that and made it mandatory.

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I’m sure this has been brought up somewhere in this post, but I’ll underscore it. Perma-death in an online game where death can occur through no fault of the player is a bad idea. All the time and gold spent leveling and gearing a character can be lost in the blink of an eye because of server lag, power outages, bugs and glitches, player griefing, poorly balanced content, and even clipping and camera control issues in jumping puzzles. And how would perma-death work in WvW? It’s just not a good idea.

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Hardcore-characters/first this has been civered several times.. general population hates the idea even if it has nothing to do with them making on themselves… this thread is already beating a dead horse