Im attracted to perma death in games

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I dunno… I’m all for the addition of this. Besides one or two failed indie MMOs, no game is going to FORCE every player to take park. Like other games with this option, it would only be for people playing “Hardcore Mode” characters, who would get special little things around their nameplate to show off who they are. I’m all for that. If you can make it to level 80+ without dying once, you deserve to be pretty and special.

But I also get entertainment. When that character dies to a random lag spike, I’ll be laughing my kitten off.

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

Perma death -OR- the dropping of all loot on death, i dont know why, but i feel like this makes MMO’s so much fun for so much longer! Can you imagine how many more guilds would work together so much more seriously, how many people would travel in massive groups, how much RP…. Just the thought makes me kitten. A HC mode of Guild wars 2, where loot tables are quadrupled in favor of the player, and mobs are taken more seriously!

Grr, not sure why i like this, maybe its an immersion thing?

[swear word removed by moderator]

That’s one thing I miss about EvE Online. Death has consequences. If you don’t have a jump clone, you are out of luck. Perma-death really adds to the immersion.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Perma death -OR- the dropping of all loot on death, i dont know why, but i feel like this makes MMO’s so much fun for so much longer! Can you imagine how many more guilds would work together so much more seriously, how many people would travel in massive groups, how much RP…. Just the thought makes me kitten. A HC mode of Guild wars 2, where loot tables are quadrupled in favor of the player, and mobs are taken more seriously!

That’s one thing I miss about EvE Online. Death has consequences. If you don’t have a jump clone, you are out of luck. Perma-death really adds to the immersion.

Just to clarify in case someone misinterprets this post- not having a jump clone in EVE doesn’t mean permadeath. It does mean losing about 2-3 weeks worth of character progression, but your character doesn’t permanently die in that situation…

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

Just to clarify in case someone misinterprets this post- not having a jump clone in EVE doesn’t mean permadeath. It does mean losing about 2-3 weeks worth of character progression, but your character doesn’t permanently die in that situation…

Yeah, sorry about that. My post was a bit vague upon rereading.

You lose some progression, your implants, your ship and it’s mods. One death can be very, very costly in EvE Online. I love it.