Implementing the Cleansing of Orr?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Renn.8241

Renn.8241

I just finished the Personal Story for the 6th time and it hit me, how can Anet implement the Cleansing of Orr when it’s vital to keep the “un-cleansed” version for personal story purposes and newer players.

For this reason I think it’s unlikely that Orr will ever be truly cleansed, it would throw personal story, new players, events and a whole lot more out of wack.

Thoughts?

~Renn~ Jade Quarry – Norn, – Ranger.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

It’s been discussed numerous times. My take on it is that they can have both versions available.

Version A: would be the default, original version. This is the version that any new player would see automatically. Even if you’ve unlocked Version B, all story missions would take place on Version A maps on alts.

Version B: this would be a living story based version, mostly cleansed and would continue to change over time. There would still be plenty of events and plenty of enemies, just less risen and more built up areas. This could be accessed by any player who has completed the Personal Story, who who has completed a Living Story arc (since they take place post-Orr).

Now the tricky bit is allowing players who have earned Version B to access Version A. This could be done perhaps by talking to NPCs that allow you to “reminisce” to back when Zhaitan lived, which would warp you into the Version A maps, or perhaps they could make it so that when you click on an Orr WP it would make a pop-up that would give you both options, or maybe there coud be a toggle in the Personal story menu, with it on you get old-Orr, with it off you get new Orr.

With the megaservers it shouldn’t be too hard to keep both types of maps populated (which would have been a major issue with the old servers). At the very minimum, the very least effort to integrate them, they could just go to 100% “New Orr,” completely destroying the open world aspects of the original version, and treat the personal story as a series of memories you are having. Yes, years ago you did all that personal story stuff, and you did destroy Zhaitan, and you’re thinking back to that campaign, so you go up to an area where it took place and are transported back to your old memories of it. They would of course need to retain the old maps at least for these memory segments though.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

Simple. A new zone in Orr, post-cleansing – only accessible after you’ve completed Victory or Death.

Posted by: Ashandar.2570

Ashandar.2570

Simple. A new zone in Orr, post-cleansing – only accessible after you’ve completed Victory or Death.

And please make that zone the ruined city of Arah, with dynamic events like exploration of structures, disposing of dangerous artifacts etc etc

I’d love a city zone, with more than one level just like the racial cities, where you can do something more than craft and stand semi-afk.

In due time, all will serve the asura.

Posted by: Gimp.9460

Gimp.9460

WoW uses phasing for this stuff nowadays, you are in the same zone as a player precleanse if you are postcleanse but can’t interact/see them in some cases until both are postcleanse (or if both pre).

GW2 can’t do this cuz of events and if they cleansed Orr then no one new would ever see it precleanse anymore lol.

Particle effect slider would be ‘too confusing’

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

And please make that zone the ruined city of Arah, with dynamic events like exploration of structures, disposing of dangerous artifacts etc etc

I’d love a city zone, with more than one level just like the racial cities, where you can do something more than craft and stand semi-afk.

Agree 300%. Orr is a great opportunity to put humans in the spotlight for a change, and a wet dream for lore-hounds.

Personally, I believe that once the peninsula is declared clear of Risen, the Pact should hand over Orr in Kryta’s care. If the Charr deserve Ascalon, it’s only right that humanity gets to regain their holy places.

(edited by Mental Paradox.3845)

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

For this reason I think it’s unlikely that Orr will ever be truly cleansed, it would throw personal story, new players, events and a whole lot more out of wack.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are exactly the same.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

WoW uses phasing for this stuff nowadays, you are in the same zone as a player precleanse if you are postcleanse but can’t interact/see them in some cases until both are postcleanse (or if both pre).

GW2 can’t do this cuz of events and if they cleansed Orr then no one new would ever see it precleanse anymore lol.

They did hint at a kind of phasing when Kessex Hills was being converted over. Characters below level 25 got one version of the zone, and everyone over 25 got the Living Story steps.

A more intentional “phasing” like the one described earlier in the thread would be a good start. Getting access to a new map with less ugly in it would be nice, for once.

Or at least a new part of Orr where life is returning. …and then hijacked by Mordemoth.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

I totally agree with you!
You just took my words out of my mouth (uhh, fingers? ), I would LOVE to see the beautiful Orr and city of Arah cleansed again, since I absolutely love the human gods and everything related to them.

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|