Improve Certain Aspects of GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Apparently I was too brazen with my other post, so I will try to convey my message in the nicest, most constructive way possible in the shortest amount of paragraphs I can muster.

About a week ago I was in Queensdale farming when I started questioning what the point of even playing GW2 was when I reached max level. Because there was no gear treadmill, I could not improve myself to be better than others. Because I already bought all ascended trinkets and and ascended weapon as well as exotic armor, there was no goal for me to do.

That’s when I took a break and started playing other MMOs such as Aion and WoW. Playing those made me realize that certain aspects of GW2 need to be improved. Combat was one of them. I could never see who was hitting me in PvP in GW2, and when I did, I could never hit them because they would swerve in and out of the reach of my character. When I played PvP in other mmos, I was able to stand there and take them down purely with the build I was using that I thoroughly researched, and it was extremely satisfying knowing that I didn’t have to swerve back and forth so they couldn’t hit me. I could take their damage head-on and still beat them.

It finally occurred to me why people leave Guild Wars 2. They are not satisfied with the combat, the “Everyone’s a dps” system, or the living story. They needed something more to achieve.

The combat is probably the biggest reason people move on to other games. To start, it is clunky, jerky, and glitchy to put it nicely. I recently tried out a healing build on my Guardian with cleric armor, and I was insulted constantly, bullied, and laughed at because of the damage I was doing. It is extremely sad when I cannot create a build of my own and use it. I must go with berserker gear or stop playing the game.

In short: Improve combat, improve the “support” stats so they’re viable in PvE, and give something to the players to make them feel like they’re getting more powerful, whether it be new armor, new weapons, or a new hairstyle.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Warzaw.2708

Warzaw.2708

I understand where you’re coming from. I was disappointed in learning that rangers were better for melee, after coming off a Hunter back in WoW.

Anyhow, this game is fun and all, but I feel this game just isn’t meant to be played on a daily basis. The game was meant to cater to the casual fanbase, where games like WoW catered to a more hardcore fanbase. This game was and is a breath of fresh air, but with a heavy emphasis on RNG, lousy cosmetic items, and the worst grind I’ve ever faced in a game, I’m losing my interest more and more each day.

There’s a potential infraction somewhere in all this I’m sure, but I’m looking forward to the PS4 launching, and waiting for Wildstar to launch; and I hope it lives up to it’s hype. I miss the Trinity system, I miss hard dungeons, raiding, and non-RNG based systems. Okay, raiding had that, but at least it was fun leading up to it. Even if you didn’t get your drop there was still that sense of accomplishment for taking down that raid boss.

This game lacks accomplishment, it even lacks some polish. The cosmetics for the most part are awful and uninspired to me.

This isn’t a major complaint, and it’s a great idea; but for me, I preferred having the armor sets dyed out for you. I have the worse sense of matching colors and armor, so just looting the drop I needed from a boss and slapping it on without worrying what colors it were was fine.

I even miss cloaks and capes.

Anyhow, I digress.

This game is fun, and definitely a good game, but this game Lately just hasn’t been my ideal game now that I have a lot more free-time and room to play. I only log in to run dungeons and gawk at the scenery. At least when I did that in WoW people were always doing something, and I knew there was always something I could be doing.
I feel like I’ve exhausted that with completing all the JP’s, without wanting to farm the Slayers, and doing all the non luck based explore-able achievements.

Anyhow, I digress.

This game is fun, and definitely a good game, but it might not be for me much longer.

BREAK YOURSELVES UPON MY BODY
FEEL THE STRENGTH OF THE EARTH
Vicodium – Ranger (IX) Coldsnap

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

I tried to respond to your original thread… spent 15 mins writing just to find it got deleted (sigh)

Because there was no gear treadmill, I could not improve myself to be better than others. Because I already bought all ascended trinkets and and ascended weapon as well as exotic armor, there was no goal for me to do.

Climbing a gear treadmill does not make you better at the game than another player.

Gear treadmills not only kill competitive game modes, but it is a lazy and easy for developers and players both, get out of the mindset that a game should be about grinding stupidly hard to obtain tiers of gear (skins are fine, not stats), they can be much more.

Being able to use your dodges properly, your defence mechanics, and positioning and team combo’s and dealing with different situations and reacting fast, makes you a better player. Gear treadmills remove player skill from games.

And when you reach the best in slot (BIS) gear in another game, then what? Do you want them to make a new tier every few months? You want to endlessly chase the BIS carrot that means nothing and just alienates skilled players from grinders? Ascended gear is a step in the stupid direction of treadmill grinding.

Gear treadmills do NOT make you a good player.

Posted by: Warzaw.2708

Warzaw.2708

I tried to respond to your original thread… spent 15 mins writing just to find it got deleted (sigh)

Because there was no gear treadmill, I could not improve myself to be better than others. Because I already bought all ascended trinkets and and ascended weapon as well as exotic armor, there was no goal for me to do.

Climbing a gear treadmill does not make you better at the game than another player.

Gear treadmills not only kill competitive game modes, but it is a lazy and easy for developers and players both, get out of the mindset that a game should be about grinding stupidly hard to obtain tiers of gear (skins are fine, not stats), they can be much more.

Being able to use your dodges properly, your defence mechanics, and positioning and team combo’s and dealing with different situations and reacting fast, makes you a better player. Gear treadmills remove player skill from games.

And when you reach the best in slot (BIS) gear in another game, then what? Do you want them to make a new tier every few months? You want to endlessly chase the BIS carrot that means nothing and just alienates skilled players from grinders? Ascended gear is a step in the stupid direction of treadmill grinding.

I’m actually going to admit I loved chasing BiS back in WoW.

I just wish I had the time to raid extensively enough.

BREAK YOURSELVES UPON MY BODY
FEEL THE STRENGTH OF THE EARTH
Vicodium – Ranger (IX) Coldsnap

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

You want to show that you’re better by having inherently better stats, while standing in one place casting skills in some optimized order.

I just gotta say, maybe GW2 isn’t the game for you. I’m not saying that GW2 can’t improve. I’m just saying that I’d probably stop playing altogether if it turned into whatever you’re thinking.

Galtrix.7369

I understand where you’re coming from. I was disappointed in learning that rangers were better for melee, after coming off a Hunter back in WoW.

Anyhow, this game is fun and all, but I feel this game just isn’t meant to be played on a daily basis. The game was meant to cater to the casual fanbase, where games like WoW catered to a more hardcore fanbase. This game was and is a breath of fresh air, but with a heavy emphasis on RNG, lousy cosmetic items, and the worst grind I’ve ever faced in a game, I’m losing my interest more and more each day.

There’s a potential infraction somewhere in all this I’m sure, but I’m looking forward to the PS4 launching, and waiting for Wildstar to launch; and I hope it lives up to it’s hype. I miss the Trinity system, I miss hard dungeons, raiding, and non-RNG based systems. Okay, raiding had that, but at least it was fun leading up to it. Even if you didn’t get your drop there was still that sense of accomplishment for taking down that raid boss.

This game lacks accomplishment, it even lacks some polish. The cosmetics for the most part are awful and uninspired to me.

This isn’t a major complaint, and it’s a great idea; but for me, I preferred having the armor sets dyed out for you. I have the worse sense of matching colors and armor, so just looting the drop I needed from a boss and slapping it on without worrying what colors it were was fine.

I even miss cloaks and capes.

Anyhow, I digress.

This game is fun, and definitely a good game, but this game Lately just hasn’t been my ideal game now that I have a lot more free-time and room to play. I only log in to run dungeons and gawk at the scenery. At least when I did that in WoW people were always doing something, and I knew there was always something I could be doing.
I feel like I’ve exhausted that with completing all the JP’s, without wanting to farm the Slayers, and doing all the non luck based explore-able achievements.

Anyhow, I digress.

This game is fun, and definitely a good game, but it might not be for me much longer.

Thank you for that, you said everything I wanted to say but in a much more graceful and intricate way. I literally agree with every single thing you said, and that’s what I was trying to post, but due to tiredness of too much writing, cut many paragraphs short of what I really wanted to say.

Galtrix.7369

You want to show that you’re better by having inherently better stats, while standing in one place casting skills in some optimized order.

I just gotta say, maybe GW2 isn’t the game for you. I’m not saying that GW2 can’t improve. I’m just saying that I’d probably stop playing altogether if it turned into whatever you’re thinking.

No, I would not like Gw2 to implement a combat system where you “Stand still”. I’m simply saying that the combat system needs an improvement, because at the moment, it’s unclear who I’m being attacked by and from where I’m being attacked. I simply want Anet to make it a little clearer so a thief can’t hop around my guardian while I can’t hit him a single time because the thief constantly flips over my character, dodging in and out before I have a chance to get a single hit in.

And the combat system in PvE needs improvement as well. It seems ridiculously clunky and jerky, and the skills feel like they don’t activate right away when you press the skill buttons.

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

Yea I don’t really get what the skill and accomplishment is there, it’s like completing a game on easy using a walkthrough and being proud of it…

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

Lostwingman.5034

And the combat system in PvE needs improvement as well. It seems ridiculously clunky and jerky, and the skills feel like they don’t activate right away when you press the skill buttons.

The game is pretty much entirely server-side.
This is the reason IIRC for the condition cap.

Galtrix.7369

Well, while we’re on that topic, dodging in and out while hitting people is not skill either in my opinion. Anyone can dodge, anyone can activate skills in a certain order. It takes skill to research and create builds of your own that you can show off in PvP by literally destroying everyone.

I remember building a tank Paladin build in WoW and going into PvP for the first time. It was so ridiculously good that I only died once and I would rush into a mob of 3-5 people by myself and kill them all within 5-10 minutes. All I had to do was stand there, pop some heal skills in a specific order, and repeatedly bash my enemies in the face while stunning them, because that’s what I was specced for. I researched the skills I wanted to use and combined the best of them into a chain of fantastic awesomeness. That takes skill.

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

I never played WoW, but I know how cheesily gimmicky paladins were, and I know the many many names given to them with the suffix -din added on the end, sorry to shatter your nostalgia.

Anyone can spam dodges, using them properly is different.

Sure anyone can use skills in a certain order. But for the most part they have big down times so you are REQUIRED to use them properly or you’re wasting it.

Copying a build from another player, has never required skill or brains. You can pretend all you like that you made it yourself, chances are it has already been done, and run, by everyone else of that class.

Posted by: Anthony.7219

Anthony.7219

It seems to me like you miss playing the defensive, healing type classes that have been semi-removed from this game in order to avoid the typical holy-trinity that most games rely on. That’s not a problem with the combat system, its just your problem with the combat system. I sympathize.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Well, while we’re on that topic, dodging in and out while hitting people is not skill either in my opinion. Anyone can dodge, anyone can activate skills in a certain order. It takes skill to research and create builds of your own that you can show off in PvP by literally destroying everyone.

conversely, anyone can look up the flavour of the week build online, no skill required there either, right?

crafting your build and knowing how to effectively use it in combat (which does includes movement, positioning and timing) are both things you can research and practice, and both are required to truly master the combat system.

This is an action rpg, not a turn-based one. and while I absolutely love turn-based game, there’s no point trying to push this game in that particular direction when it was designed differently from the ground up.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Lostwingman.5034

Well, while we’re on that topic, dodging in and out while hitting people is not skill either in my opinion. Anyone can dodge, anyone can activate skills in a certain order.

If there was no limit on how many times you could dodge and no cooldowns on skills sure…

It takes skill to research and create builds of your own that you can show off in PvP by literally destroying everyone.

The word you’re looking for isn’t skill. It’s dedication.

I remember building a tank Paladin build in WoW and going into PvP for the first time. It was so ridiculously good that I only died once and I would rush into a mob of 3-5 people by myself and kill them all within 5-10 minutes.

That sounds like a broken build if anything…

All I had to do was stand there, pop some heal skills in a specific order, and repeatedly bash my enemies in the face while stunning them, because that’s what I was specced for. I researched the skills I wanted to use and combined the best of them into a chain of fantastic awesomeness.

That’s like drag racing in a corvette against someone in a Prius.
That’s not skill. It’s simply dedication to having the best build/gear/class.

That takes skill.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Anthony.7219

Well, while we’re on that topic, dodging in and out while hitting people is not skill either in my opinion. Anyone can dodge, anyone can activate skills in a certain order.

If there was no limit on how many times you could dodge and no cooldowns on skills sure…

It takes skill to research and create builds of your own that you can show off in PvP by literally destroying everyone.

I remember building a tank Paladin build in WoW and going into PvP for the first time. It was so ridiculously good that I only died once and I would rush into a mob of 3-5 people by myself and kill them all within 5-10 minutes.

All I had to do was stand there, pop some heal skills in a specific order, and repeatedly bash my enemies in the face while stunning them, because that’s what I was specced for. I researched the skills I wanted to use and combined the best of them into a chain of fantastic awesomeness.

That takes skill.

Lol, this game is balanced. Please remove the balance. I will then choose the best combination of everything so I can be the best. Thank you.

Lostwingman.5034

That takes skill.

Lol, this game is balanced. Please remove the balance. I will then choose the best combination of everything so I can be the best. Thank you.

And that takes skill.
/blackbeltgooglefu

Posted by: mojowalker.3798

mojowalker.3798

The “all i had to do was stand there” and “dodging in and out while hitting people” reminded me of the scene in the Princess Bride when the Dread Pirate Roberts defeated Andre the Giant … because he was smaller, more dextrous, and wasn’t willing to stand there (aka thief) and let his bigger, tankier, stronger opponent (aka paladin, i guess — never played WoW) repeatedly bash him in the face.

Thieves are supposed to be agile and dodge around/over you — if they just stood there and didn’t have those abilities available, they’d get squished. The “skill” comes in with being able to counter that kind of mobility so that you can get them into a position to bash them in the face. Otherwise it becomes a session of internet browsing to piece together your build, gearing up with the right equipment, heading into battle and remaining rooted to the spot while going through a predetermined chain of keystrokes … which doesn’t sound particularly fluid or even exciting.

Now don’t get me wrong — I understand exactly what you mean. The few times I’ve wandered WvW and run into opponents, yeah, I could barely keep my camera rotating fast enough to keep up with them. Sometimes I won, sometime I lost. Well, most of the time I lost. But regardless of the outcome, the way the battles played out definitely felt more alive and dynamic due to the kineticism of the encounter. If we’d just rushed up to one another and stood there while running through our list of keystrokes, and it was something I’d done a few dozen times before, then I could just lean back and let one hand run the keyboard while I drank the beer that was in my other. And the most my heart would start to pound would be if the bottle slipped.

The dodging around/over, difficulty factor in keeping visual track of your opponents, I believe is working exactly as intended.

“If you can’t beat them, get a bigger stick.”
- Some random quote -
The Walkers and the Whispers, ANVIL ROCK

(edited by mojowalker.3798)

Anthony.7219

No, I would not like Gw2 to implement a combat system where you “Stand still”. I’m simply saying that the combat system needs an improvement, because at the moment, it’s unclear who I’m being attacked by and from where I’m being attacked. I simply want Anet to make it a little clearer so a thief can’t hop around my guardian while I can’t hit him a single time because the thief constantly flips over my character, dodging in and out before I have a chance to get a single hit in.

From https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/thief/

“Thieves practice an agile, acrobatic fighting style, which can make them very hard to hit.”

Working as intended?

—> Side note, as a Guardian, I found it useful to have a shield and when you run into a punk like that, shoot off skill #5 and knock them on their butt.

(edited by Anthony.7219)

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

HAD SOME POSTING ISSUES —-————THIS IS POST 3———————————-

Maybe you should focus more on "how can I improve " rather than " how can Anet change the game so I have a better chance " .
It’s just silly – I’ve seen guardians melt thieves in PVP quite a number of times.
Why not try to get better instead of having the game give you a better shot with your current skill level?
Also the part about the PVE combat I addressed below- skills activate well – maybe get a better rig/internet connection. I’ve never had such issues nor seen others complain about it.

React and adapt friend.

Also lol.

No it doesn’t – it takes 5 minutes to copy/paste it off the internet.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

(edited by Harper.4173)

Harper.4173

Apparently I was too brazen with my other post, so I will try to convey my message in the nicest, most constructive way possible in the shortest amount of paragraphs I can muster.

About a week ago I was in Queensdale farming when I started questioning what the point of even playing GW2 was when I reached max level. Because there was no gear treadmill, I could not improve myself to be better than others. Because I already bought all ascended trinkets and and ascended weapon as well as exotic armor, there was no goal for me to do.

That’s when I took a break and started playing other MMOs such as Aion and WoW. Playing those made me realize that certain aspects of GW2 need to be improved. Combat was one of them. I could never see who was hitting me in PvP in GW2, and when I did, I could never hit them because they would swerve in and out of the reach of my character. When I played PvP in other mmos, I was able to stand there and take them down purely with the build I was using that I thoroughly researched, and it was extremely satisfying knowing that I didn’t have to swerve back and forth so they couldn’t hit me. I could take their damage head-on and still beat them.

It finally occurred to me why people leave Guild Wars 2. They are not satisfied with the combat, the “Everyone’s a dps” system, or the living story. They needed something more to achieve.

The combat is probably the biggest reason people move on to other games. To start, it is clunky, jerky, and glitchy to put it nicely. I recently tried out a healing build on my Guardian with cleric armor, and I was insulted constantly, bullied, and laughed at because of the damage I was doing. It is extremely sad when I cannot create a build of my own and use it. I must go with berserker gear or stop playing the game.

In short: Improve combat, improve the “support” stats so they’re viable in PvE, and give something to the players to make them feel like they’re getting more powerful, whether it be new armor, new weapons, or a new hairstyle.

I see you’re back. I did miss you.
Just yesterday you proclaimed many of us cretins and decided you were going for good. What changed your mind?

In any case – let’s get on with it.

You’re talking about combat – and how other players move in and out of your reach – and how you dislike it – that is exactly what makes GW2 UNIQUE. The dynamic, organic feel of combat.
It’s MMO crossed with FPS – you can OUTBUILD or OUTREFLEX an oponent. It gives variety.
Yes – i know – you’re one of those people that " could take their damage head-on and still beat them" because you like crunching numbers and making builds and think that’s all a game is.
You’re wrong and GW2 proves it – with all the proper theorycrafting – if you can’t execute it you’ll me mopping the floor.
This aspect of combat is UNIQUE to this particular game and it should NOT change under any circumstance.

People leave GW2 for a plethora of reasons. People join for the same.
Two days ago I had a friend say he wants to join because of the fluid " i just dodged your best attack and there’s nothing you can do about it " combat – so yes – some leave and some come. I don’t see why the game has to change and become like the other MMOs out there.

Harper.4173

The combat – is not clunky, or jerky, or glichy – that’s just YOUR Opinion.
As a avid FPS player I have to inform you that GW2 has one of the most fluid and functional combat system in any game I’ve played.
The dodging, the timed attacks, the swinging in and out of combat all feels very natural and makes for a very exciting and enticing pace of combat.

Your guardian cleric build got harassed because that’s not what people want.
If you want to play with people in a social game you have to be prepared to interact with them on common terms.
If the people don’t want you – or your build – that’s it – tough luck. You can change or you can find people that will have you.
There’s plenty of people who are into alternate “anti zerker” strategies out there- group up with them.

You cannot and can never create a build of your own and play it with the majority of the players in ANY GAME unless you happen to revolutionize the meta and invent a new build that’s more effective than the old one.
Players want efficiency – if you can’t have that then you’re going to :
1) Get it
2) Play with people who don’t care about it.

Even in GW1 – you had PVX builds . In wow there are defaults as well for best approach to any role.

In short : Rename your thread to " Make GW2 more like what I want " – so people will have a better idea what you want. What you have suggested does not improve this game. You just want to wreck combat so it doesn’t reward agile players and force everyone into a certain gear build ( because with the reflex factor out we will have just the build – and the most effective build will be used)

I’m hoping the " give players something to make them more powerful" is referring to horizontal progression – in which case i’m all up for it – more skins to everyone.

I’m going to say this as nicely as I can.
If you’re this dissatisfied with this game not being some other generic MMO out there maybe it’s time to think about what you want to do – maybe you’re better off playing that MMO ( whatever it is ) instead of trying to change this one for the people who love it.

It’s clear you want to go back to facerolling people in WOW – by geargrinding your way in that treadmil where you can afford to put more hours in, then just crunch some numbers and feel like you’re doing good.
You’re a different type of player for a different type of game.
No wonder you’re having a hard time with both this game and the community around it.

(edited by Harper.4173)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

This might be why YOU might leave GW2. You cannot generalize to anyone else absent proof. Your “analysis” is simply another post which is saying, "I think this way, ergo everyone else who is unhappy is unhappy for the same reason. You have presented ZERO proof.

I’m very happy with the combat. The “everyone is dps” system does not bother me, although I’m not sure it is as widespread as you think. The living story has been hit or miss, but every game, including your favorite, World of Borecraft, is hit or miss with its biweekly content patches … oh, wait.

I have no issue with you complaining, but leave off with the generalizations about everyone else. Speak for yourself.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

The very things you want in your game, OP, are the very things that will make me leave the game.

I think you are better off playing games made for players like you. This game is made for players like me.

I think there should be at least one of those floating around somehow.

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

What you described in the pvp example is a combat system less action oriented, its more static, you dont need to move or calculate the position you are or your enemy. Neither is needed to check the fast animation of an opponent.

This is a matter of taste but in my opinion it makes more interesting the kind of combat we have because it has more elements to take in count than systems that are less action oriented (this one has a more action rpg stand).

The sad thing is that what makes other gears that arent dps oriented is that the mobs in pve are too slow, they atack so slowly that the litle damage that most of the damage can be avoided, if they have more attacks patterns and used them more frequently, toughness, vitality and healing power in a party will be necesary (because like in pvp, great part of the time you take damage).

And nage is right, the game was created in a more action rpg fashion, than all school games like wow.

(edited by Lucius.2140)

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

We knew a long, long time before release that Guild Wars 2 wouldn’t be that kind of game, so you really only have yourself to blame for your disappointment. Be an educated consumer next time and learn about the games you’re planning on buying before you buy them.

In summary, you’re mad at PvP because it’s skill-based and not gear-based or build-based. Once again, this is another thing we’ve known would be this way pretty much since the game was announced.

Basically, they stop playing because they, like you, decided to just opt out of research entirely and pick up the game thinking it’s B2P WoW.

And more people are coming into the game than leaving, btw.

The combat is probably the biggest reason people move on to other games. To start, it is clunky, jerky, and glitchy to put it nicely. I recently tried out a healing build on my Guardian with cleric armor

LOL

and I was insulted constantly, bullied, and laughed at because of the damage I was doing. It is extremely sad when I cannot create a build of my own and use it. I must go with berserker gear or stop playing the game.

You don’t have to roll zerker. You just have to stop intentionally being useless. All players are expected to handle the support, control, and damage roles. You can’t pidgeonhole yourself into a single role. This isn’t that kind of game. Again, we’ve known it would be this way since around… 2009, 2010. Around the time they released that first combat article.

Pretty much everything you’re complaining about, if changed to suit your desires, would change the game at its core, completely destroying the reasons most of us bought the game. Like adding 8-way run to a Street Fighter game, or a blue turtle shell to Forza.

Next time, learn about the game you’re buying before you buy it.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)