Improving the Game

Improving the Game

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Thereon.3495

Thereon.3495

*tl;dr:’ Moaning about issues within GW2 will accomplish very little if it goes against ANETs master plan. Theyre not horrible people, just men/women with a plan. How about we all stop complaining and realise that if the game isnt right for us we should maybe stop playing.

Ive been very vocal about GW2 on these forums over the past week or so. I have reached the point where I can see so much wrong with the game that I can barely log in without feeling sadness of what the game has become. These include, but are not limited to, lack of immersion, the pandering to farmers, the shallow and mindless zerg-gameplay, the poor implementation of skins within the game (‘give everyone all of the things’ rule), the lack of challenging content and the farce that is world bosses and the megaserver.

But its taken me a full week of writing on various forum threads to realise something and I feel its important enough to warrant a separate post. Whether or not this will stay open for long I dont know but I hope that you can react to this post and give your thoughts.

ANET have a plan. They have had this plan all along and that is to cater to those that will bring them the most profit. That does not make them monsters. This is a business and their job is to get people playing so that money can be made. The devs have creative input and we can disagree with them as long and hard as we want but it comes down to the fact that they are doing what they see is best for the game based on profit and sustainability.

Now these decisions may or may not be wrong and the game could last a decade, or die within the next year based on the decisions they make. As a result the devs have to be firm in what they believe is right for the game. They have to know 100% it will no harm the game in the long run. It is for this reason that 95% of the suggestions we make will never be implemented within GW2. There may be too much risk to changing from the master plan. Of course the devs would never say this- to give the player population the idea that they have very little say in the future of the game is MMO-suicide.

In my opinion a lot of the decisions the devs are making will, in the long run, kill the game off. My main gripe is, and will forever will be, the fact that the game has no immersion and has very little focus on lore and as a result the Living Story is a very shallow representation of what could have been in GW2. But the devs believe that what they are doing is right and so my voice goes unheard. The lack of true challenge within the game (skill-based, not zerg-based) is also something that, in my opinion, needs addressing but again ANET feel they are doing whats best.

My ‘tl;dr’ at the top sums this post up. So lets stop moaning shall we? I’ll be the first to say i’ll try not to post a moan on these forums again. I’ll also state that my wallet is well and truly closed until I feel the game is right for me again.

Thereon Avenrise – former [Noes] Officer – Piken Square (EU)
Retired and living in a shack. Relaxing!

Improving the Game

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

You know, a lot of people like to think that there’s a great plan in the works. But anyone who is in charge knows they are flying by the seat of their pants.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Improving the Game

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

You know, a lot of people like to think that there’s a great plan in the works. But anyone who is in charge knows they are flying by the seat of their pants.

Evidence?

Improving the Game

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

Introducing the megaserver in two weeks without reworking event scaling does not seem like a plan. It looks like a rushed emergency solution.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

Improving the Game

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

So far all I can see are assumptions, conjectures and suppositions.

Improving the Game

Posted by: aliksyian.7642

aliksyian.7642

If they have a plan they are doing a kitten-poor job of communicating it. In the face of things that look like negligence or incompetence, I am not inclined to think of it as a plan.

Hide user’s posts on forum with chrome tampermonkey script: http://pastebin.com/aaUQr3pm

Improving the Game

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Evidence?

Life.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Improving the Game

Boneheart.3561

If they have a plan they are doing a kitten-poor job of communicating it. In the face of things that look like negligence or incompetence, I am not inclined to think of it as a plan.

The last time I remember they told us their plan, it mutated from a reasonable set-back to the Illuminati manipulating our currency.

Improving the Game

Boneheart.3561

Evidence?

Life.

Whoa. What was your project?

Improving the Game

Posted by: Peow peow.2189

Peow peow.2189

i disargee completeley with your post, first of all you say they have a master plan well guess what im a master man, you think i like to use cups nah i like to drink out of cans. Call me stan I live with my dog in a caravan and its my jam that i play, everday all the time so dont try and say that i aint got no hay in my barn, then say that im barney youll get it from me with my thief back stab you like a leaf from a tree not for free , pay the price thats what youll get see.

Improving the Game

Posted by: Thereon.3495

Thereon.3495

So far all I can see are assumptions, conjectures and suppositions.

Im giving my opinions based on nearly two years of playing GW2. While I would never call myself an expert I can at least form a semi-accurate prediction of whats to come based on what has already occurred.

The point of my post is to highlight the fact that ive realised that complaining is futile. ANET have a plan and are doing what they see as best. Whether we think differently or agree with them really does not matter one iota. Do I think this is the right way to run a MMO? Definitely not but me coming onto these forums and moaning will not change things. They are solid in their convictions and will either succeed and make GW2 the most solid MMO of this generation or they will run it into the ground. I truly believe its the latter but talk is meaningless.

Thereon Avenrise – former [Noes] Officer – Piken Square (EU)
Retired and living in a shack. Relaxing!

Improving the Game

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I have played the game for more than 2 years now actually and on the one hand I agree with you and on the othet hand I do not

It is clear that Anet has a vision, however, the vision they have now vs the vision they had 2 years ago does not add up.

Up until April 15 , I could put up with thier changing visions because it was fine, you try something, it sucks you try something else

works for me.

April 16 marks the spot where I get off the bus because I do not care what thier vision is.

Gunnar’s Hold

Improving the Game

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Introducing the megaserver in two weeks without reworking event scaling does not seem like a plan. It looks like a rushed emergency solution.

I agree they may have rushed it to full implementation, but what “emergency” do you see they solved? I think the consolidation of Servers is definitely the first step in a much larger plan to improve the game for veteran players (I suspect a “Hard Mode” of sorts is in the works).

As far as communicating their plan, how stupid do you think they are? Every form of advanced communication has been selectively quoted, twisted and often MIS-quoted to basically call the entire Dev team liars, cheats, incompetent and greedy. I don’t blame them one bit for not saying ANYTHING about what they are doing or planning.

I certainly don’t agree with everything they have done and I’m sure some choices they will make in the future will not be to my full satisfaction, but they have provided me with some enertainment value over the past 2 years, so I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Improving the Game

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

I don’t think ANet even has a plan, at least not one going beyond living story, as to what they want to accomplish with this game and what direction they might want to pursue.

And Skyhammer is the best example of how much ANet takes our feedback into consideration.

I.E. not at all.

Improving the Game

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

We all know the reason for that was the depopulation of some of the servers due to decreasing number of Western players overall.

And yes, it was rushed and terribly executed, leaving more problems than solving the decreasing playerbase.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.