In Game Marriage system

In Game Marriage system

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Glitter.8942

Glitter.8942

Hi, so i’ve been playing guild wars 2 ever since it came out, It’s by far my favorite game and will probably be for some time. But the only thing I really miss is a in game marriage system, I know it can’t be made up with a snap of the devs fingers but just something to think about, it wouldn’t be hard, have a cut scene or something and then give titles to the married couple saying blanks wife or blanks husband. And the marriage certificates to get married obviously could be on the gem store and I know a lot of people who would go for that.

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

And, then a justice system to handle the dissolution of marriages and the handling of joint property.

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Cyndercat.5120

Cyndercat.5120

tbh that would be something I would love and spend a stupid amount of gems on. I met my partner in gw2 (together irl now) and having a title being his wife would be awesome.

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

In the divorce proceedings, each player would get 50% of their combined total wealth in terms of materials and gold. Except in the case where the couple consists of one male and one female, whereby the male shall lose an additional legendary, all companions (except on weekends), and be required to pay a fee of 50 ectoplasms and 200 gold bi-weekly.

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Takashiro.8701

Takashiro.8701

They could atleast implement something like a couple-system.

You get a hearty-buff when you and your partner are on the same map, which gives you something like +10% EXP/Karma and get a teleport-to-your-partner-item which is basically a teleport-to-friend but with unlimited use and instead 30-60 minutes cooldown.

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Hitman.5829

Hitman.5829

People don’t know this, but you can get married in Lions Arch at Deverol Gardens. You can invite all your guild to the ceremony and buy Scatter flowers petals.

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618

VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618

You get a hearty-buff when you and your partner are on the same map, which gives you something like +10% EXP/Karma and get a teleport-to-your-partner-item which is basically a teleport-to-friend but with unlimited use and instead 30-60 minutes cooldown.

that is an awfully bad idea.

People would start ‘marrying’ just to get the buffs/teleport.

And seriously, why should such a thing rewarded anyway? Either those two really like each other – than they don’t need any rewards, or they don’t and then the ‘marriage’ would be just a joke/scam – and does not deserve any rewards

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

There is the Deverol Gardens in Lion’s Arch where you can exchange vows and buy bouquets of flowers from the Consortium florist. In addition, the game has rings that can be bought. While the engagement ring is account bound the wedding ring can be given away.

Rurik’s engagement ring
Connie’s Lost Wedding ring

Role play should be enough for the rest.

Attachments:

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: SnowHawk.3615

SnowHawk.3615

i want to marry an NPC like Logan Thackeray or Braham Eirrson

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: SnowHawk.3615

SnowHawk.3615

And seriously, why should such a thing rewarded anyway? Either those two really like each other – than they don’t need any rewards, or they don’t and then the ‘marriage’ would be just a joke/scam – and does not deserve any rewards

that is a bad idea bc it would be exploited like crazy- instead ppl who get married the first time get AP like 1-5 AP and an experience tome.

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Takashiro.8701

Takashiro.8701

Generally:
Yes they would. What about it? If you implement a new system, you will of course try to make it attractive to as most players as possible.

Maybe the two who married don’t need a reward, but Anet does. At the end of the day it’s still additional (optional) content to an MMORPG. They’d have to put people aside for this and invest development time into this instead of something else.
If they would go through the work to make a new system specifically for this, they would of course give it something special to market it to non-rl-couples aswell.

About my idea:
I’m well aware that implementing it this way would also draw friends to use it.
But how exactly is that a problem? What is wrong with motivating you to play with your best friend(s) together? In an MMORPG?

Of course it would “punish” you for breaking a relationship (unable to use the system for a week or something), so you can’t swap partners on the fly and gain the bonus with whoever you want right now.

We’re talking about EXP and Karma here, 2 “currencies” that everyone already has stored up to the moon anyway. It’s really only supposed to be a little gimmick, to make it seem more important than it actually is.

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: RandomWolf.3986

RandomWolf.3986

Two of the MMOs I played in the past were free-to-play and had this marriage/soulmate system. The teams behind these games weren’t as big or as dedicated, yet they still did it. One of those games is called Metin2. You would have a quest to retrieve a ring, and then you would have to save up for a wedding dress. Once the two characters are ready, you can throw a party and invite people to join. Everyone gets to dance and the couple selected the types of music to play in the background. It was amazing.

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

To make it fit the lore, the one courting has to pay 200g in dowry.
Anet gets 20% from arranging marriage certificate.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Has been suggested already years ago..

Then the only thign they brought was the weddign dress/outfit .. woooohooo great.

One coudl have thought, if they make themself already the work and effort to design wedding dresses and smokings as outfits, they that would go that tiny step further and woudl have made them as ingame rewards or craftable items and implement them together actualyl also with a wedding gameplay system that actually really allows players also to marry officialy with adding craftable Wedding Rings maybe craftable as Job Level 500 jeweler recipes, so that theres another reason to god darn finally implement jeweler 500 and chef 500 (wedding cake/cupcakes!!) as well (what the hell are they waiting for so long on these!!??)

Wedding should get implemented as “Mastery” by now, woudl be the best system to implement that gameplay under this gamepla element of GW2 now.

5 Tiers of a possible Wedding-“Mastery”

1) Bond of Faith
Once learned, you become able to bond your character to another character of an other player (Engagement)
The Engagement is active, once two players have activated the Bond of Faith by using the Chat Code /engage “Enter Character Name”
The moment both players do this for each other Character will become these Characters with each other engaged and their names cannot be used anymore for other players to engage. The Character Status on each Character’s Menu will change from “Single” to “Engaged”

2) Bond of Trust
Once learned will engaged players receive access to a new SHARED Account Chest that these two players can upgrade also like a normal Single player Accoutn Chest for more Extra Space via Gemstore. Doing so will cost both sides 50% of the costs of the Gems

3) Bond of Courage
Once both engaged Players have learned this Mastery Tier, they become able to use “Teleport to Fiance”, so that they can waypoint always instantly to the location of their fiance player. Doing so will give the character that teleported to the other player for a Minute in PvE a little Buff in Stats and some Boons (Stability, Regeneration, Protection) so that fiances are able to quickly help their beloved ones and save them eventually out of bad situations – or if its already too late, can quickly revive them as this Tier will increase also the Reviving Efficiency for each other, if the fiance is downed or defeated.

4) Bond of Love
Players with this Mastery Tier are now able to craft their Wedding Rings and fullfill taskas that lead into fullfilling Wedding Achievements that reward players with all the materials and things needed to craft their Wedding Dresses (the outfit from gemstore will get removed, people who bought it get their gems refunded therefore that they have to do something now to regain their dresses)
Once both characters have their rigns and the dress, they are able to talk to specific Wedding NPCs (for each race one, as only fitting racial weddings will be possible, not cross racial weddings – as they’d make also no sense in GW2 due to the different racial cultures and you know.. biology .. ahem cough)
Once married, the Character Status of both will change from Engaged to “Married” together with a Character Link to the married Character, so that married players will be able to see each others Character Equipment & Inventory via this link

5) Bond of Marriage
Once both players are married to each other, they are able to learn the last mastery tier, the Bond of Marriage, which allows those players to gai access to a new shared Personal Instance with Player Housing (together) – basically 2-Person Guild Halls xD)
—-
Thats the way kind of how I would implement right now under the Mastery Gameplay Mechanic a Wedding System together with the implementation of finally Jeweler and Chef 500.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

Marriage is an archaic institution and has no place in game nor irl.

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Natto.5819

Natto.5819

Will it allow same sex marriages?

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: DirtyDan.4759

DirtyDan.4759

Just like a real marriage. People marry to get buffs like insurance, visa or paying less taxes.

In Game Marriage system

nosleepdemon.1368

I understand that most people wanting this system probably date (if they do, in fact, date at all) on Tinder and the like, so won’t ever get married. So for those folk, ol’ NoSleepDemon has some handy words of advice for y’all:

Getting married isn’t a matter of earning XP, completing a mastery and expecting some sort of reward at the end. You get married because you love someone, that’s the reward.

Let’s not gamify the institution of marriage folks, let’s get ourselves lives instead.

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

I’d do it like that:

• The two players make a party of 2 and speak to whatever the marriage authority is for their race. Each race has it’s own wedding ceremony. If the two players are of different race they get to pick one or the other.
  • Each player gets a recipe to craft your ring and your wedding dress (or tuxedo), which are bind-on-pickup so you make it yourself. It takes 400 Jewelcrafter to craft the ring since it’s exotic. (Deal with it.) The dress and tuxedo can take 1 tailor since it’s just a costume. Depending on your race and gender you would get an race-appropriate costume. Both players need to craft both the dress/tux and the ring to marry. You can’t equip either until the ceremony.
  • To help gather the materials the game would send both players to do content designed for two players. Could be mini-dungeons, instanced content, etc. Nothing crazy, no PvP, etc. Just a little thing that the soon-to-be-married can do together.
  • Once they have the items, the couple has to reserve an instance for their wedding and you send invitations. The point is to let you invite as many people as you want while leaving the trolls out. If you do it in the the open in the wedding area of Lion’s Arch this is too troll-bait, especially if it’s a same-sex marriage.
  • Once the couple is married they get a title <partner>‘s wife/husband and get to equip and dye their wedding costume. In addition, as a couple you get the option to share currencies and bank accounts, if both players agree to. Couples usually know each other’s account login anyway, so this is just a convenience. If you divorce both players lose all these privileges.
  • You don’t get anything that would compel min-maxers to marry, such as making the a ring legendary with stat selection, or having a teleport-to-other spell. You only want this to be used by actual couples. (Or people that are curious what it is like.)

Sadly though, the marriage feature would probably too niche to warrant the development time that this would require.

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

They could at least implement something like a couple-system.

Wouldn’t need the XP boost (or the karma, honestly), but the teleport item would be a pretty fantastic reward for helping joined characters.

Though, what about multiamory? (I’m not mixing my Greek and Latin roots. Hmph.)

Or what about a Warband system for Charr?

Do Asura even get married? o_O

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: DirtyDan.4759

DirtyDan.4759

I’d do it like that:

• The two players make a party of 2 and speak to whatever the marriage authority is for their race. Each race has it’s own wedding ceremony. If the two players are of different race they get to pick one or the other.
  • Each player gets a recipe to craft your ring and your wedding dress (or tuxedo), which are bind-on-pickup so you make it yourself. It takes 400 Jewelcrafter to craft the ring since it’s exotic. (Deal with it.) The dress and tuxedo can take 1 tailor since it’s just a costume. Depending on your race and gender you would get an race-appropriate costume. Both players need to craft both the dress/tux and the ring to marry. You can’t equip either until the ceremony.
  • To help gather the materials the game would send both players to do content designed for two players. Could be mini-dungeons, instanced content, etc. Nothing crazy, no PvP, etc. Just a little thing that the soon-to-be-married can do together.
  • Once they have the items, the couple has to reserve an instance for their wedding and you send invitations. The point is to let you invite as many people as you want while leaving the trolls out. If you do it in the the open in the wedding area of Lion’s Arch this is too troll-bait, especially if it’s a same-sex marriage.
  • Once the couple is married they get a title <partner>‘s wife/husband and get to equip and dye their wedding costume. In addition, as a couple you get the option to share currencies and bank accounts, if both players agree to. Couples usually know each other’s account login anyway, so this is just a convenience. If you divorce both players lose all these privileges.
  • You don’t get anything that would compel min-maxers to marry, such as making the a ring legendary with stat selection, or having a teleport-to-other spell. You only want this to be used by actual couples. (Or people that are curious what it is like.)

Sadly though, the marriage feature would probably too niche to warrant the development time that this would require.

I hope they won’t use developer time creating this instead of usefull things like working on the expansion

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

You want a partner in-game?

Play a Ranger!

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Arioch.6507

Arioch.6507

I am all for buffs and bonus for an in-game marriage….as long as they all disappear once one of the 2 married parties dies.

When 1v4 has become the norm, where is the incentive….

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

i want to marry an NPC like Logan Thackeray

Confirmed: SnowHawk is Caudecus.

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

If OP gets his mechanic, can I have the mechanics to play the lover’s devil and run a divorce office?

In Game Marriage system

Rauderi.8706

I am all for buffs and bonus for an in-game marriage….as long as they all disappear once one of the 2 married parties dies.

That’d be hilarious and annoying.

“You were defeated.” "
To death do you part. You are no longer espoused."

And then they have to get married again. And the game keeps track of it, so there’s a list of names a mile long of all your “spouses”. And if you want a divorce, just go to On Wings of Gold then fail to open your glider.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

If OP gets his mechanic, can I have the mechanics to play the lover’s devil and run a divorce office?

Interesting that you mention that. One of my characters is studying to be a lawyer. She could make a lot of gold doing this.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

I’d say this is a horrible idea and that anet would never waste the time or manpower for this kind of thing, but since they are flirting with mounts I can’t say what they are thinking anymore. End of the day though, this is silly and bring ZERO value to the game. Those gardens have been empty for ages now except for maybe the few players that rp out there.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: SeranusGaming.7362

SeranusGaming.7362

I’d totally support an in-game marriage system of some sort though I don’t think it should be much more than a title or perhaps, some couple specific animations (cuddle or something like that).

Still, I wouldn’t expect to participate in this option as there isn’t anyone worth of my awesomeness.

Kara “Tiptoes” Sheridan (Ranger)
Tarnished Coast Roleplayers [TCRP]
“Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.”

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Nika.3946

Nika.3946

In the divorce proceedings, each player would get 50% of their combined total wealth in terms of materials and gold. Except in the case where the couple consists of one male and one female, whereby the male shall lose an additional legendary, all companions (except on weekends), and be required to pay a fee of 50 ectoplasms and 200 gold bi-weekly.

Hahaha , u made my day!!!

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Ahnlok.3897

Ahnlok.3897

Just get a real GF in real life

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: VanHalenRules.5243

VanHalenRules.5243

Marriage is an archaic institution and has no place in game nor irl.

I like the way you think.

Altered Tuner, Hockey Defender (CD server)

In Game Marriage system

nosleepdemon.1368

I just mentioned this thread to my wife, stating that I thought giving a bonus would be a bad idea, since people would marry simply for that feature. The following reproduction of the ensuing “conversation” is as accurate as I can make it:

Me: “…And that’s why I think it would be a bad idea.”
The Wife: “You would marry someone other than me??”
Me: “…What?”
The Wife: “Why would you marry someone else?
Me: “…I’m lost? I didn’t say I would?”
The Wife: “You just said you would marry someone in guildie wars for a bonus!”
Me: “Huh? No! i said I wouldn’t marry someone else!”
The Wife: “Oh! Then why did yo~”
Me: “Ehr mah gherd! I didn’t say that!”

As you can see fellas. You probably shouldn’t be too keen on this system :P It’s mere mention can have unintended consequences!

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Discoteka.2758

Discoteka.2758

Perfect World (where I met my IRL husband) had a great marriage system. Even had a daily quest. I’m all for it!

In Game Marriage system

Rauderi.8706

Perfect World (where I met my IRL husband) had a great marriage system. Even had a daily quest. I’m all for it!

Not a bad idea! Couples quests. (Or for the especially loved, bonus raids? :P)

Though I can just see how ANet would botch the design. “Challenging content” for couples~

Many alts; handle it!

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Potato.2567

Potato.2567

This sounds like a terrible idea. Why would you want to get married to someone’s character when 1. You’re both probably men behind the screen, 2. You probably don’t know this person, 3. It’s awkward as hell.

RIP Warrior

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: SeranusGaming.7362

SeranusGaming.7362

I just mentioned this thread to my wife, stating that I thought giving a bonus would be a bad idea, since people would marry simply for that feature. The following reproduction of the ensuing “conversation” is as accurate as I can make it:

Me: “…And that’s why I think it would be a bad idea.”
The Wife: “You would marry someone other than me??”
Me: “…What?”
The Wife: “Why would you marry someone else?
Me: “…I’m lost? I didn’t say I would?”
The Wife: “You just said you would marry someone in guildie wars for a bonus!”
Me: “Huh? No! i said I wouldn’t marry someone else!”
The Wife: “Oh! Then why did yo~”
Me: “Ehr mah gherd! I didn’t say that!”

As you can see fellas. You probably shouldn’t be too keen on this system :P It’s mere mention can have unintended consequences!

LOL!!! This completely made my day!

Kara “Tiptoes” Sheridan (Ranger)
Tarnished Coast Roleplayers [TCRP]
“Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.”

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Elyssandariel.2679

Elyssandariel.2679

I don’t know why people are bringing RL and RL marriage into this. It’s a game. Not everyone who would want this feature needs to “Get ourselves lives.” I’ve been married for 14 years and with my husband for 21, and I would LOVE an in-game marriage system for my characters that was fleshed out. Going on quests together, doing the stuff to get the rings, that would be amazing! I would totally marry my hubby in-game, if he still played. AND I would marry my best friend’s characters, because why not It’s not real.

You could certainly decide it was a real commitment, between the two of you, if you so choose. I know people who “get married” online in games and such, with their friends before they can legally get visas and do it in RL. So something for everyone here! With or without the buffs that should (imho) go with it.

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: zoomborg.9462

zoomborg.9462

LoL plz no, i aint giving half my gold to some wench from DR.

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Grimheart.2853

Grimheart.2853

You want a partner in-game?

Play a Ranger!

[There was supposed to be a bestiality joke here, but it was removed by the author for being too inappropriate for this forum’s enviroment]

(edited by Grimheart.2853)

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

Honestly, they really shouldn’t get anything other than a generic title like “Husband” or “Wife”. Everything else is just a setup for disaster….

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

This is a bad idea. But hell, I hardly play anymore as it is, so go ahead and give me one more reason not to.

Hate is Fuel.

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: highlandish.9784

highlandish.9784

how about extending that to interspecies marriage, and keep it gender neutral and allow same sex marriage, say my fem asura can marry a fem sylvari, titles being partner instead of wife or husband….

and allow my lesbian interspecies couple to adopt a baby canthan or eloni cus thats what they do
/s

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: highlandish.9784

highlandish.9784

i played that game all those years ago and remember when that system came in place. but i was never serious enough a player to get married to someone. but the system did work

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: armaduras.8972

armaduras.8972

And, then a justice system to handle the dissolution of marriages and the handling of joint property.

Which is biased against men, because men’s rights don’t matter.

Feel the Flames of Balthazar; Bask in the ever-presence of his glory!
Gilded Grimoire[MAGI]. Casual Guild www.gw2magi.com

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: armaduras.8972

armaduras.8972

how about extending that to interspecies marriage, and keep it gender neutral and allow same sex marriage, say my fem asura can marry a fem sylvari, titles being partner instead of wife or husband….

and allow my lesbian interspecies couple to adopt a baby canthan or eloni cus thats what they do
/s

Tyria’s population is already too low to sustain an attack out of the Mists. If we do not enforce same-sex same-species marriages, then our population will drop even further. We need to make children for the future of Tyria!

Feel the Flames of Balthazar; Bask in the ever-presence of his glory!
Gilded Grimoire[MAGI]. Casual Guild www.gw2magi.com

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Raven.1524

Raven.1524

I’m having Ragnarok Online flashbacks

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Hi, so i’ve been playing guild wars 2 ever since it came out, It’s by far my favorite game and will probably be for some time. But the only thing I really miss is a in game marriage system, I know it can’t be made up with a snap of the devs fingers but just something to think about, it wouldn’t be hard, have a cut scene or something and then give titles to the married couple saying blanks wife or blanks husband. And the marriage certificates to get married obviously could be on the gem store and I know a lot of people who would go for that.

Oh God…

I’m sorry. I have been a pen & paper role-player since around 1990 and am all for implementing more role-playing content into the game, but this is taking it too far for me. In all honesty, it even creeps me out a bit (probably because an in-game acquaintance ones started telling me about his “in-game wife” as opposed to his real-life wife and how they always marry in every online RPG… errrr, okay).

(edited by Ashantara.8731)

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Harny.6012

Harny.6012

I understand that most people wanting this system probably date (if they do, in fact, date at all) on Tinder and the like, so won’t ever get married. So for those folk, ol’ NoSleepDemon has some handy words of advice for y’all:

Getting married isn’t a matter of earning XP, completing a mastery and expecting some sort of reward at the end. You get married because you love someone, that’s the reward.

Let’s not gamify the institution of marriage folks, let’s get ourselves lives instead.

No you have this wrong.

You are with someone because you love them.
You get married for the law-assured benefits.

In Game Marriage system

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

Oh God…

I’m sorry. I have been a pen & paper role-player since around 1990 and am all for implementing more role-playing content into the game, but this is taking it too far for me. In all honesty, it even creeps me out a bit (probably because an in-game acquaintance ones started telling me about his “in-game wife” as opposed to his real-life wife and how they always marry in every online RPG… errrr, okay).

The point is to actually marry your significant other that you play the game with and affirm yourself as a couple, not to marry some random stranger for content access. I also play FF where there is a marriage system and I would never think of marrying my character to a stranger, or even a guild member.

Other than titles, the rewards for marrying should only make sense for two people playing together and that 100% trust each other, such as (opt-in) access to the other person’s bank accounts and currencies, some form of access to the other’s characters, etc. (Couples that play the game know each other’s passwords, may as well make it legit.)