In combat-speed decrease in PvE

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Whats the purpose of this other than to annoy people and make them have another unnecessary time sink? I will go further more; why do we even have classes with perma switchness (ele with 5 points air 10% mov increase + 25% signet of air, or necros, or rangers) and classes that become a DRAG to level up and get map completition, AKA Mesmer.

I understand in PvP and WvW, but PvE? Even guardians putting speed buff with staff 3 get punished when the chasing monster steps on the speed buff and gets damaged, and there you go; old man’s steps.

Some maps become unbearable (Orr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) specially if you are attempting to do with with a mesmer….

I just want to know what was the thought pattern behind this, was this purposely put as a time sink or overlooked since in WVW and PvP it actually does matter?

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

(edited by Fortus.6175)

Posted by: Brienson.7319

Brienson.7319

You aren’t slowed down in combat, you’re sped up out of combat. In combat movespeed is the normal movespeed.

dragonbrand—

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

I think the idea is that you are not intended to be able to just run by monsters in the open world. Certainly from a lore/rp perspective I understand it. You mention Orr specifically, it is not an easy thing to just be able to weave in and out of undead as if they were pilons, so you are slowed down so that you are forced to deal with the monsters, or at least be slowed by running through them.

If you were not slowed down at all by being engaged by a monster then they would have no chance to catch or damage you at all. So it is either that or speed up the monsters.

This also increases the challenge for jumping puzzles that involve monsters, when are engaged you are slower and as a result you jump distance is decreased.

I agree that it can be annoying when you are just trying to travel through a zone, but I do understand why it’s there.

Fortus.6175

You aren’t slowed down in combat, you’re sped up out of combat. In combat movespeed is the normal movespeed.

then I propose we redefine it and give passive swiftness to everyone not actively attacking an enemy(in PvE). That way we all win, and PvP and WvW doesnt get affected

If you were not slowed down at all by being engaged by a monster then they would have no chance to catch or damage you at all. So it is either that or speed up the monsters.

This also increases the challenge for jumping puzzles that involve monsters, when are engaged you are slower and as a result you jump distance is decreased.

Increase rewards (seriously, no drops or junks from more than half the monster with even perma 112% MF?!) and remove DR and then I will engage them, right now mobs on the outside are just there to prevent you from walking around the beautiful maps by clogging view and attacking you, or for events.

Legendary SoloQ

(edited by Fortus.6175)

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

Increase rewards (seriously, no drops or junks from more than half the monster with even perma 112% MF?!) and remove DR and then I will engage them, right now mobs on the outside are just there to prevent you from walking around the beautiful maps by clogging view and attacking you, or for events.

I hear ya. I do wish there was more insentive to kill random monsters around them map. Even leveling up the xp reward is so low for killing a monster that if you are not completing a heart it seem like a waste to kill anything. I understand that they didnt’ want leveling to be an xp grind killing monsters.

Problem is I am not too sure what the solution to that is. I don’t think removing the speed decrease is really required. The maps are pretty convienent as they are with all the way points around.

Getting through the monsters you don’t want to engage with out getting slowed down just requires a little pratice. Knowing when to use which skills combined with dodging (latency permitting) I don’t find myself slowed when I don’t want to be all that often.

Posted by: kishter.9578

kishter.9578

Sometimes I just want to pull my eyes out when I’m
Running to a dragon event on my mesmer and some useless trash just jacks pot hit me, Mesmer mobility sooo slow. Speed reduce in combat is a common Korean technique to time sink and prevent you to run contest. Rift use to have this mechanikittenill people start leaving, then they remove I think.

We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that.

Posted by: Kryptonite.9376

Kryptonite.9376

Also, so many of the monsters in this game, especially in the higher level areas have many unnecessary CC abilities.

Knockback, Stun, Immobilize, pull… etc, the list goes on into things that don’t even have anything to do with such a thing and still slow you down.
It’s just a sad way of Anet saying “please please fight our monsters instead of running past them” But at the same time they drop useless kitten like porous bones. Go figure, right?

Not to mention the permanent cripple bug they’ve failed to acknowledge.

(edited by Kryptonite.9376)

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

“Running Droks! 5p each!”

…Sound familiar? I remember how great shadow form was when Factions came out for running. Never get hit, ever.

Fortus.6175

Running to a dragon event on my mesmer and some useless trash just jacks pot hit me, Mesmer mobility sooo slow. Speed reduce in combat is a common Korean technique to time sink and prevent you to run contest. Rift use to have this mechanikittenill people start leaving, then they remove I think.

my biggest gripe with mesmers atm is this; going around the map trying to do stuff just to have the crappiest of crappiest things attack me once and then everyone else follow me. Kill them only to get a couple of porous bones, at best!

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

In this game you get slowed to combat speed.

In WoW you get dazed to -80% move speed.

In this game you get out of combat speed boost.

In WoW you pay 900 gold for out of combat speed boost that’s removed on combat.

I prefer this system.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Fortus.6175

I prefer this system.

I solemnly hate this kind of statements. This is called stockholm syndrome. You became a victim of your captors, and at some point you started to love them.

So what? Wow is another game, a very different game. Keep it out of the picture.

With statements like that you can make almost anything sound pretty;

“So yeah, I was given the option to keep living in communist China where I could get to the age of 45 and work in a mine coal until my death.

On the other side the other option was to live in Medieval Europe, where getting to 30 is a dream and where I would have a life worse than a slave’s"

I prefer this system.

I present to you; capitalism. Not the best out there, but definitely better than the others.

Related to the topic; I present to you; movement speed equalized, where [for the most part] hard work is rewarded [killing those persky mobs] and QoL is definitely better.

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: womble.2153

womble.2153

It would be more realistic if combat movement speed were faster; You’re making rapid steps; that last few yards to contact can be really quick. But then we’d have to be slowed down when we ran long distances, because even Usain Bolt can’t keep up that kind of speed for more than a few 10s of seconds.

Many MMOs have started with one OOC runspeed, and then you get a “buff” at a certain level that speeds your long distance pace when not in combat. Some of them have then altered it so you automatically get the speed buff at level 1. It’s been a buff you have to cast, sometimes, and sometimes that’s been changed to autocast when you drop combat.

The \only\ reason you’re even considering whining about “slow combat speed” is because GW2 doesn’t explicitly show the buff you get to run speed when you’re not in combat. That other classes can get /in-combat/ speed buffs, and yours can’t is, unsurprisingly, nothing whatsoever to do with the general mechanic.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

For some reason ANet thought it would be fun to have a game where constant movement was the defensive mechanism. This is why swiftness is so abundant. Sadly, the control scheme is so archaic it hurts trying to play the game in its supposed way.

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

Movement is an issue with this game. It’s like Anet specificly tries to hinder movement through a number of avenues.

1) Normal movement is painfully slow.
2) Distances are overly large.
3) The CC on enemies you mentioned.
4) Waypoints are often blocked
5) Waypoint use is penalized with high cost.

Orr is just a mess. Too many risen with too much CC. Plus most of the areas on the map are devoid of players.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

It’s not a time sink… it’s simply part of the combat system design. Combat has to flow a certain way at a certain pace. Movement speed is extremely important to the pace and feel of combat, especially to melee characters.

Xenon.4537

Movement is an issue with this game. It’s like Anet specificly tries to hinder movement through a number of avenues.

Yep, they sure do lol. It’s called game design.

1) Normal movement is painfully slow.
2) Distances are overly large.

This is what swiftness is for.

3) The CC on enemies you mentioned.

This can be annoying, but avoidable if you pay attention, kite, dodge, use skills, etc.

4) Waypoints are often blocked

Ok, I agree this sucks.

5) Waypoint use is penalized with high cost.

Cost is not that high… Try to actually do something when you fast travel to a place. Kill 1 or 2 mobs… You will be able to cover the travel cost and then some. If you fast travel somewhere and aren’t earning any silver when you get there, one wonders why you traveled there in the first place?

Orr is just a mess. Too many risen with too much CC. Plus most of the areas on the map are devoid of players.

Agreed. I think this is why Anet never bothers to put living story stuff down there. Everyone hates it. I think even Anet hates it.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I’m just annoyed that only a handful of classes get the 25% movement speed increase… My engineer runs so slow in comparison.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Cost is not that high… Try to actually do something when you fast travel to a place. Kill 1 or 2 mobs… You will be able to cover the travel cost and then some.

I’m not going to complain about speed or WP’s, but the above is not often true.

Lion’s Arch to Orr WP cost: 3s+
Typical drops from two mobs: 1 porous bone: 16c
Lucky drop from 2 mobs: 1 porous bone + 1 Fine item: 16c + 96c = 1s12c.

Plains of Ashford from Orr wp cost: 3s+
Drops from 2 mobs: 2 gray items worth 3c each

Now, if you run around for a while doing events and killing mobs, you come out ahead, but not 2 mobs — at least not very often.

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

Cost is not that high… Try to actually do something when you fast travel to a place. Kill 1 or 2 mobs… You will be able to cover the travel cost and then some.

Now, if you run around for a while doing events and killing mobs, you come out ahead, but not 2 mobs — at least not very often.

I agree. You have to kill at least 20 to make up the waypoint costs fora level 80. It more affordable for lower level characters.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I prefer this system.

I solemnly hate this kind of statements. This is called stockholm syndrome. You became a victim of your captors, and at some point you started to love them.

So what? Wow is another game, a very different game. Keep it out of the picture.

With statements like that you can make almost anything sound pretty;

“So yeah, I was given the option to keep living in communist China where I could get to the age of 45 and work in a mine coal until my death.

On the other side the other option was to live in Medieval Europe, where getting to 30 is a dream and where I would have a life worse than a slave’s"

I prefer this system.

I present to you; capitalism. Not the best out there, but definitely better than the others.

Related to the topic; I present to you; movement speed equalized, where [for the most part] hard work is rewarded [killing those persky mobs] and QoL is definitely better.

So your suggestion is to remove the out-of-combat speedboost? I disagree.

What all of that has to do with Stockholm, communism and medieval Europe is beyond me. Maybe you tried to make a point but obviously failed.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Xenon.4537

As you said in your closing comment, if you do more than pick your nose when you travel somewhere, you come out ahead. That’s all I was saying, albeit with a little hyperbole.