In-game Gemstore item Refunds

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

So my problem is that I bought 2 copper fed salvage o-matics and 2 silver fed salvage o-matics (before shared inventory slots came out). Now that there is shared inventory slots, I always put both types of salvage kits in 2 of my shared inventory slots, thus rendering the additional copper/silver fed salvage o-matic useless as they just sit in my bank now.

Would be really nice if there was a way in game, to turn gem store items into an NPC to get a full gem refund on items you don’t want. Even a partial refund, say 25-50% of the gem value would suffice, since shared inventory slots have changed quite a bit of the games mechanics. With shared inventory slots implemented, I would of never initially purchased 2 sets of both types of salvage o-matics.

aka. “The Complainer”

(edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108)

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

I don’t even care about a refund. let me at least gift my extras to friends. They are so kitten useless as is and anet doesn’t seem to care. The only reason we bought multiples is because anet told us they would never have shared slots to begin with.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Did they!? I missed that announcement. Would you happen to have a link?

Usually, the Devs state ‘nothing is off the table’, so it would be interesting to read where they definitively stated something would never happen.

Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The only reason we bought multiples is because anet told us they would never have shared slots to begin with.

I can’t imagine them ever saying that. I bought multiple everlasting gathering tools because I wasn’t holding my breath for it to happen.

For the OP, ANet has given out refunds to some players, so it can’t hurt to ask.

There are multiple reasons why they didn’t give it out to everyone who owned multiple o-matics. The reason they think those reasons are fair is that they figure that folks already got “full use” out of the items, i.e. it’s not about whether the kits have an ongoing value now as that they had a substantial value then

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Dinks.2478

The only reason we bought multiples is because anet told us they would never have shared slots to begin with.

I can’t imagine them ever saying that. I bought multiple everlasting gathering tools because I wasn’t holding my breath for it to happen.

For the OP, ANet has given out refunds to some players, so it can’t hurt to ask.

There are multiple reasons why they didn’t give it out to everyone who owned multiple o-matics. The reason they think those reasons are fair is that they figure that folks already got “full use” out of the items, i.e. it’s not about whether the kits have an ongoing value now as that they had a substantial value then

That is like suddenly saying tomorrow you can only have 8 character slots but they dont care that you cant use your other characters because you already got use out of them.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I don’t even care about a refund. let me at least gift my extras to friends. They are so kitten useless as is and anet doesn’t seem to care. The only reason we bought multiples is because anet told us they would never have shared slots to begin with.

When shared inv slots came out I sent in a support ticket asking exactly for this but was told “no, you have got your money’s worth out of the item you are sool”.

I don’t agree with their reply and thus have stopped spending real money to buy gems unless I REALLY need something.

Their loss in the long run I figure. They could refund me the 800 gems or whatever I paid and potentially having me spend far more cash by buying more than 800 gems. But nope, they choose to not refund that 800 gems or even part of it. For me it’s the principal of it. For them it’s trying to save bucks I guess but in the long run, like I say they are losing more.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It’s possible we would get fewer great QoL updates if the Devs had to always consider how much it would cost in refunds.

The CS Team did give refunds to those who had purchased within the last 30 days.

Sometimes, advances make other things obsolete, and, well, we just have to roll with it.

Paulytnz.7619

It’s possible we would get fewer great QoL updates if the Devs had to always consider how much it would cost in refunds.

The CS Team did give refunds to those who had purchased within the last 30 days.

Sometimes, advances make other things obsolete, and, well, we just have to roll with it.

Maybe I would accept that if I didn’t also have to pay for those shared inv slots you know? But nope, that was not the case. So I am paying cash for another “qol”/convenience thing but by doing so it makes another such purchase obsolete. Yeah still does not feel right to me and does put a question mark over that great word “integrity” for me. Which by the way I always felt this company had.

Also I wouldn’t expect a monetary (where they put the cash back on my credit card) refund anyway. I would expect they would just give you the gems back which would be good enough for me I guess.

Oh and lastly when I purchased said item I never saw any message or info on it saying anything similar to “guaranteed for at least 30 days to be worth the cost of it”. I was under the impression it was a “for life” type of thing, well as long as I was still alive and playing the game at least anyway lol.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The reason they think those reasons are fair is that they figure that folks already got “full use” out of the items, i.e. it’s not about whether the kits have an ongoing value now as that they had a substantial value then

That is like suddenly saying tomorrow you can only have 8 character slots but they dont care that you cant use your other characters because you already got use out of them.

It’s not remotely similar. They have not limited the use of your existing item; they added something that makes its convenience less important. Taking away character slots would be taking something away, and not just the convenience factor.

I get that you’re upset and it’s understandable. But try not to exaggerate the impact; it hurts rather than helps your case.

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Dinks.2478

The reason they think those reasons are fair is that they figure that folks already got “full use” out of the items, i.e. it’s not about whether the kits have an ongoing value now as that they had a substantial value then

It’s not remotely similar. They have not limited the use of your existing item; they added something that makes its convenience less important. Taking away character slots would be taking something away, and not just the convenience factor.

I get that you’re upset and it’s understandable. But try not to exaggerate the impact; it hurts rather than helps your case.

No, they made it useless. As in it sits in my bank and takes up a slot because there is literally zero reason to carry two of them.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

No, they made it useless. As in it sits in my bank and takes up a slot because there is literally zero reason to carry two of them.

No, you made it, “useless,”by purchasing the shared slots.

My Trailblazer has 80k miles on it. Chevrolet has released a newer model that gets better mileage, has features that mine does not, etc. If I buy the new model, and cannot drive both vehicles at the same time, Chevy has not made my old vehicle useless for me.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

A player that bought multiple salvage items did not lose any functionality of either item.

Deletion of character slots removes the functionality of those extra slots purchased.

You’d have an argument if when the shared slots came out that they deleted multiple salvage machines.

That being said, they could have at least gone halfway and said if you purchased a shared slot and multiple salvage machines that you would get 50% of the gems back for any purchased prior to 30 days before the shared slots were released, and 100% for any purchased within 30 days.

Dinks.2478

I don’t care about a discount, let me gift them to friends. They are literally useless right now.

Posted by: Zohane.7208

Zohane.7208

I don’t care about a discount, let me gift them to friends. They are literally useless right now.

They are, as has already been said NOT useless, if you equip them they are as usable as the day you bought them. The fact that you have chosen to buy other items (shared slots) which make them obsolete for you is neither here nor there.

Anet are usually fair about giving you a refund if you recently bought an item, but if you’ve had them for quite a while (30 days I think is the cutoff) it’s assumed that you’ve already derived value from them so therefore they choose to not refund. I personally support that position.

If you were able to give them away that would also have the drawback of them being sellable (on or off TP) which would lessen Anet’s Revenue from sales, so that’s highly unlikely to happen I’d say.

Gunnar’s Hold
Guild Leader for Tyria Liberation Council [TLC]

Illconceived Was Na.9781

ANet’s already explained their rationale. If you want to get them to change their policy, take the time to understand their point of view and then try to address their concerns. They think that players already got “fair use” of items bought ages — the value of them now isn’t relevant.

Repeating your opinion isn’t going to change anyone’s mind.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Edit: Hmm, seems the post was removed….oh, well.

Oh, which features are still lacking?

And, for me, heaven forbid an expansion in Guild Wars 2 comes with no future content.

I seem to remember players begging for shared inventory slots for years. One often saw, “Take my money!”. What I don’t remember were any posts asking for future refunds should said shared slots ever materialize.

Ha, I remember when I got my first electric can opener. It never occurred to me to demand a refund for all my old manual can openers. Same thing happened when I got my first cordless phone, and then, heavens!, it happened again when I got a cell phone.

One never knows what the future may bring!

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The future always brings requests for refunds

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

Analogy:
In 2000 you bought a tablet and a nokia.
In 2015 you got a Nexus 6P.

Do you get a full refund for the tablet and nokia because both functionalities are now in the one item you have now?

Posted by: Fey Zeal.7032

Fey Zeal.7032

If you are what you eat, does this mean a copper fed salvage-o-matic is made out of copper? What if you could feed your extra salvage-o-matic’s to each-other in a grizzly show of cannibalism. And they poop out their respective self as, a mini Salvage-o-Matic or back piece.

I would also be fine with being able to sell my extra copper fed salvage-o-matic to a merchant for 1 copper and silver for 1 silver (not that I have an extra silver fed mind you). That way it doesn’t feel as bad as deleting them would, when you can no longer look back and remember fondly the times you shared together. This is likely a bad idea because then you might accidentally mearch your salvage-o-matics.

But wait! Another idea, we trade in our salvage-o-matics for salvage-o-maad-tics. Is it a salvage-o-matic reference or an Omaad refernce now? I don’t know! It slices, it dices, it takes you into the eternal alchemy where an angry dragon no longer exists to eat your mind, combination hookah and coffee maker, also makes Julienne fries. Will not break, will not—it broke.

Next idea! Post this reply before I have any worse ideas or continue to make terrible references, oh my yes.

Paulytnz.7619

No, you made it, “useless,”by purchasing the shared slots.

My Trailblazer has 80k miles on it. Chevrolet has released a newer model that gets better mileage, has features that mine does not, etc. If I buy the new model, and cannot drive both vehicles at the same time, Chevy has not made my old vehicle useless for me.

You can sell your other car or gift it to someone who does not have it and still get something from it. It is still worth something to someone else! Not so here…

Paulytnz.7619

Edit: Hmm, seems the post was removed….oh, well.

Oh, which features are still lacking?

And, for me, heaven forbid an expansion in Guild Wars 2 comes with no future content.

I seem to remember players begging for shared inventory slots for years. One often saw, “Take my money!”. What I don’t remember were any posts asking for future refunds should said shared slots ever materialize.

Ha, I remember when I got my first electric can opener. It never occurred to me to demand a refund for all my old manual can openers. Same thing happened when I got my first cordless phone, and then, heavens!, it happened again when I got a cell phone.

To what I bolded:

Oh there were many I know as I commented on them. I don’t recall which side I was for but they were there. Now I COULD go back through my entire posting history and find them to prove this but then again so COULD you. I doubt either one of us would want to do that lol.

Paulytnz.7619

Analogy:
In 2000 you bought a tablet and a nokia.
In 2015 you got a Nexus 6P.

Do you get a full refund for the tablet and nokia because both functionalities are now in the one item you have now?

Oh wow so GW2 has been out for 15 years now right? And the time between the last purchasable eater and the inv slots was something similar to that too I guess? Brilliant, you are correct with your comparison! Psssst, again you could still sell or gift your said old item to someone else, here we can not.

Paulytnz.7619

I want to try and put more into words what I guess I have been trying to say here and perhaps it may be where the OP is coming from as well. Basically to try and give some of you where we are coming from and why we feel we were done a dis-service here.

To do that let’s first look at the gemstore and what’s on offer and WHY people buy things from it. Also what they expect from those purchases when they do buy these said items/services. I will/may not go into every single item or type that can be bought but hopefully enough so you get an idea.

Cosmetic:

Okay these are pretty obvious, you buy this for the look of them. Be they outfits, weapon skins, gliders, mail carriers, minipets or what have you. People buy this for the look of them. You expect to get use out of them forever simply by the fact you will ALWAYS have the option to use them. Even if newer ones come out. You can still get a use for them. I have no issues here, this is not changed.

Consumables

Again these are pretty straight forward. Be they xp boosts, gathering, crafting or whatever. We all know how they work and when buying them know they are limited use and so as such people buy them or not based on this if they think they are worth it or not for them. Nothing here has changed, I have no issues. Keep in mind however I don’t generally buy these.

Misc Expansions or Services

These include things like Char slots, inv bag slots, bank slots, bank collection expansions, crafting licencees, gathering nodes, passes to various places such as The Royal Terrace. Here when buying these things we know what we are getting and I suppose most of us would expect that we can use these forever or the use will be forever. Obviously in the case of inv bag slots this depends on if you delete these chars or not so there is some risk with it but it is very, very small. These are all unchanged and I have no issues with them.

Gathering Tools

Now here this should be simple but really it’s not because of 2 things.
1 – these do not fall into any single one of the other categories and
2 – they are instead a mix of 2 catergories.

Those being Cosmetic and a Service. Having said that, people may buy these for 2 very different reasons. The skin or the service and because of that, the expectations may be different. Since the change and Shared Inv slots one of these may now be redundant for that reason (the service side). The skin factor is still there as people can still use the tools on certain chars (like I do) for a theme or roleplaying. The service, I am sure no more needs to be said. To give anet credit they did give some players a refund for this. Personally I have absolutely no issue over gathering tools. I have purchased 3 different sets myself and even an extra Sprocket one. I have not and will not ask for or expect any kind of refund or whatever back for these. However I am on the skin side of it so I guess I can understand the people who are on it for the service side and who may have only ever bought 1 set of tools.

Paulytnz.7619

Salvage Kits

Now these are a special case imo. These are or should be classed under the service category and as such you would expect them to last forever or give you a use forever. This is exactly what I expected when I purchased these BEFORE the Shared Inv slots came out.

Yes we CAN still use them but the question is, why would you if instead you have a newer/better system that again you did buy into? So the question that remains for me and others in my situation is have we been done a fair deal over this item type? To me the answer is no. I will answer why in the next paragraph or 2.

For me I will tell you pretty much what I have bought from the gemstore since launch. From that I hope you can understand why I had bought these items from the explanations I have given above as to why people buy these things and what they expect when buying them. Now I do have to put in a disclaimer here, that being I have bought things with both real cash (buying gems) and via the Gold to gem system. I can’t recall exactly everything from each system. But I can tell you all Inv bag slots, most char slots (7 as I bought them all on day 1 of 3 day release) and most of the tools/skins were bought from real cash.

Having said that:

10 or 11 char slots
3x bag slots for my main and 7 extra chars
3 gathering tool sets + an extra sprocket pick
4+ bank expansions
Collections upgrade so far to the 1k limit of each
7 Shared inv slots
1 or 2 armour sets
1 or 2 outfits

+ more that I am probably forgetting lol.

Now clearly I bought some of these for cosmetic reasons since I like to have my chars set around a theme (thus why I don’t care about the gathering tools). Others I bought for the services and you can see I have bought a lot more for the services and convenience side. Also tho I have to say I bought all of this mainly because I love the game and the makers and wanted to contribute a bit more and so I would say that I have been “loyal” to them as such. However this has now taken a hit over this very issue.

With regards to this issue I don’t feel that I have been treated back as such in a “loyal” manner. Yes I can still use the item but again I say what is the point when I have a better option? I expected that this item would give me far more in return and not made redundant so soon after.

Look at Anet’s track record and EVERY single other item on my list above here. This has NOT happened before, none of these other items/services have been changed (barring tools but I have already gone into that). As such I think they may have rushed when deciding on this or not taking everything into full consideration.

I will post a screen shot below of what I have in my shared slots so you can get an idea a bit more I hope. Please refer to it before this next paragraph.

Here you can see I do have some junk stuff that could be replaced lol. But you can see I do have one of my copper feds in here. Before Shared inv slots I had 2, one for my main and the other for whatever other char I was working on at the time for map completes. So 2 out of my total 10+ chars had a dedicated salvage kit at any one time. My other alts who were parked at one farm or another were out of luck and either had to wait before they hit a bank or use the normal vendor kits.

Now obviously because of the shared inv slots I can simply just slip one of my kits in the slot and bang, all problems solved. You may argue that I got my use out of the kit all the while that I had it. Again I argue my expectation was that there was NO set time limit for that like there are for consumables. My expectation is that I would ALWAYS be able to get some benefit out of using it. That is gone now and I don’t have any other use for it unlike the gathering tools (for their cosmetic part).

It’s unfortunate it turned out this way. I mean they could have offered something. A partial refund, perhaps an option to convert any extra salvage kits into a shared inv slot, heck that would have been something and nice! But no, not even the option to sell them to other players or to gift them.

That’s all I have to say really. You can all argue one way or the other but my opinion wont change. I feel that I have been loyal all these years, but over this I was not treated as such back in return.

PS the screenshot is of my 8th alt which is obviously my Rev that I made when HOT came along. I have not bought any extra bag slots for him as they really are not needed anymore thanks to my inv slots and the stuff I have in them. :P

EDIT – sorry for the double posted screenshot, for some reason the first post will not delete it when I try.

Attachments:

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

@Paulytnz: I agree, they should have at least been willing to give refunds for extra salvage kits purchased within say 30 days of the shared slots going on sale to players who purchased at least 1 shared slot. For those who purchased it afterward, they could have compromised and allowed for them to be gifted or traded or even a partial refund (they should have records of what price players paid for it and when so no issue on ones on sale vs not).

But to say the excess salvage kits have been made useless isn’t true. They’ve been made less useful to those who have purchases shared slots and use them for the salvage kits.