In-game Weddings speculation

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Because its wasted resources and doesnt really do anything a guild bank and name change scroll cant do? I dont see them ever allowing shared account bound items.

Not against it. It just seems completely pointless.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

One core feature of many other games that I truly have missed in GW2 is the idea of a couple/lovers/family/etc system. I’d fully support it if they ever suggested it would be implemented.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Pointless? Having a type of mechanic in game to increase immersion would be a bonus for all players, not just the RP community. And you don’t need to share Wallets or Account bound items. Just the option to be married and connected to another player is good enough. A unique title like “Tied the Knot” or “Married to (player name)” could easily be put in for couples.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

A ‘’chapel’ can be many things. For example:

• A place of worship, smaller than, or subordinate to a church.
  • A place of worship in a civil institution such as an airport, prison etc.
  • A funeral home, or a room in one for holding funeral services.
  • A trade union branch in UK printing or journalism.
  • A printing office, said to be so called because printing was first carried on in England in a chapel near Westminster Abbey.
  • A choir of singers, or an orchestra, attached to the court of a prince or nobleman.
SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Zergs.9715

Zergs.9715

Could we also set it up so that my in game wife gives birth to my new character slot? Pretty please!

Smooth Penguin.5294

Could we also set it up so that my in game wife gives birth to my new character slot? Pretty please!

That wouldn’t work. You can’t give birth to something existing. Rather, you’d be talking about giving birth to a whole new account. But that option would cost Gems.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

JCan you imagine you and your soulmate, surrounded by 100 of your guildies cheering you on as you tie the knot?

This option already exists.

Smooth Penguin.5294

JCan you imagine you and your soulmate, surrounded by 100 of your guildies cheering you on as you tie the knot?

This option already exists.

Not officially in game.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

I’m sure it will be a sham Chapel run by Priest-O-Tron selling fake marriages to unsuspecting dupes.

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

I’m sure it will be a sham Chapel run by Priest-O-Tron selling fake marriages to unsuspecting dupes.

I surely hope its an entirely new golem made by the Consortium and not THE Tron XD.

On the topic side I do hope the chapel is purely cosmetic, it would be an interesting site to RP…….bbetter yet make it an instance area, we woudn’t dozens of people fighting for the place

Smooth Penguin.5294

On the topic side I do hope the chapel is purely cosmetic, it would be an interesting site to RP…….bbetter yet make it an instance area, we woudn’t dozens of people fighting for the place

That’s an excellent idea, eduardo mi amigo. An instanced spot where we can have private RP ceremonies, without map chat trolls interfering.

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

Ha i remember attending one of them in game weddings in eq 1 for a guildy lol GM came in and married them – gave them same last name- and gave us all wedding cake

Also i like to point out it was a Real life married couple might as well get the game characters married to

Smooth Penguin.5294

I’d pay Gems for Colin to come in and personally officiate an RP wedding.

Attachments:

Posted by: glehmann.9586

glehmann.9586

A ‘’chapel’ can be many things. For example:

• A place of worship, smaller than, or subordinate to a church.
  • A place of worship in a civil institution such as an airport, prison etc.
  • A funeral home, or a room in one for holding funeral services.
  • A trade union branch in UK printing or journalism.
  • A printing office, said to be so called because printing was first carried on in England in a chapel near Westminster Abbey.
  • A choir of singers, or an orchestra, attached to the court of a prince or nobleman.

It can also be Majel Barrett serving as a nurse on a starship.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

please no, if you want to marry other virtual characters it might be time to take a break from the game or go play a total different game. (e.g. second life or something)

Hundreds of players play with their IRL partners and would like this functionality. If you can’t handle others’ relationships, maybe don’t be in a social game.

Why though?

I would never marry my boyfriend in a game.

There again, I haven’t married him IRL, either.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Westwater.1095

Westwater.1095

Chapels are for funerals too.

New prestige system. Deletes your character but you get a nice little gravesite where you can go visit them. You might think you get something from prestiging like some kind of special bonuses on an alt, but no, you just get sadness as your old friend sits in their grave.

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

I hope they keep human religion away from Lions Arch. It is a city for everyone, unless they include religious buildings for ALL races, even those we often disagree with such as the Krait, then there should be no buildings with religious connotations in LA.

Posted by: Ephemiel.5694

Ephemiel.5694

That’s an excellent idea, eduardo mi amigo. An instanced spot where we can have private RP ceremonies, without map chat trolls interfering.

I highly doubt Anet will make instanced areas just for RP ceremonies.

“Would you kindly?”

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

It’s the starting zone for the new class: the reverend;)
just joking. I think a chapel would be cool. if you want amarriage, you can do so. its a rpg so lets do some roleplay. For myself, i was praying for my girl friend in the temple of the six for a good graduation (and it worked) ;p

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

I hope they keep human religion away from Lions Arch. It is a city for everyone, unless they include religious buildings for ALL races, even those we often disagree with such as the Krait, then there should be no buildings with religious connotations in LA.

Chapels are not exactly part of any human religion in Tyria. Maybe the kurzicks came closest but they’ve been assimilated.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Sorry but nope from me.

- waste of time & resources
- players suggesting titles for this is almost cringeworthy; who goes around flaunting something like that. Bleh.
- this is not a dating game
- if this was ever released imagine how many creepy people would start hitting on you, urging you on.. As if it’s not bad enough

Non-player wise I can see it having something to do with NPCs but really.. Why bother. I’d rather them implement a feature that allows us to sit on the many evident wooden benches and chairs in Tyria than make weddings/chapels a thing.

Posted by: Eyia Hellhide.7320

Eyia Hellhide.7320

If there is a chapel for in game marriages, I also insist for a court for in game divorces. I intend to get married to ? big amount of guys, then to get a divorce and to sue them for maintenance. Like let’s say half of their loot and in game transactions. Because this is the least I deserve after sacrificing my best playing hours for them!

The night is dark and full of turnips.

Posted by: James Quall.6029

James Quall.6029

If there is a chapel for in game marriages, I also insist for a court for in game divorces. I intend to get married to ? big amount of guys, then to get a divorce and to sue them for maintenance. Like let’s say half of their loot and in game transactions. Because this is the least I deserve after sacrificing my best playing hours for them!

this person gets it. are you all taking notes? get a pencil already, geez.

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

I saw piles of sand at the dock, darude sandstorm and gw2 collab confirmed?

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

sad nerdy weirdo-ness that can only be offset by an Elvis impersonator minister…

Posted by: James Quall.6029

James Quall.6029

Elvis impersonator minister…

this person gets it too. i just want to have a sham wedding in a quickie chapel with a fake minister and have it end in disgrace and divorce, like my parents before me.

(edited by James Quall.6029)

Posted by: MissSinfully.2478

MissSinfully.2478

Coming from a game where “marriage” had good benefits (base stat bonuses, 2 minute cd warp to spouse, mini pet for your shoulder…) I’m really rather baffled by the huge aversion to a marriage feature in this game.

Actually this is the first MMO I’ve ever played that didn’t have such a feature. The large amount of negativity and emphasis against it is really surprising for me considering how nice, chill and welcoming I find the community. It’s not really just for RP’ers.

As an affianced person IRL, we like the idea of being able to “marry” or at least link two characters/accounts in game. Like a community storage between the two (personal and community) and hopefully(!) a warp to spouse and a title would be cute.

MissSinfully
Sonyanna
Dragonhunter

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

Let me put this in a more simple way. When you sell all of your collectibles on the trading post, how much time does it take? A long time, I bet. And you no doubt encounter the “selling error” that throttles sell attempts to stop bots..

kinda off-topic, but it takes me 5 minute tops per day.. salvage all → sell the stacks of mats on the TP. usually not even enough items to trigger the “error” :P

regardless, weddings would be really cool! now I just need to find people to actually play with…

it also might balance out what feels like the large amount of female humans in the game, jussayin.

That being said though, I think in-game weddings are pretty unlikely. Maybe just me, but it doesn’t seem like A-net’s style

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

Marriage as a concept is something that’s not present in all Tyrian societies. Religion as a concept is something that is outright rejected in some Tyrian societies. A wedding chapel would be a bizarre novelty for these people. At best.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting it’s universal so that’s a bizarre objection.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Actually all the playable races do have some form of marriage, it just seems to be less formal than many real-life forms of marriage (although historically those were also less formal, some places still have the concept of ‘common law’ marriage where you just start living together and call yourself husband and wife and after some period of time the government recognises you as a married couple).

Several asuran NPCs talk about their mate or partner and from the context this is basically a husband or wife – someone they live with, are romantically involved with and have kids with (if they have kids at all). The charr seem to be the same. I’m not sure if either have a formal ceremony to declare themselves a couple but otherwise it sounds similar.

And we actually know quite a bit about norn weddings from GW1 (the quests where Olaf Olafson or his daughter want to marry your character, and of course Hearts of the North).

Oddly enough I don’t think we know much about human marriages. We know they exist, many NPCs in both games talk about their husbands and wives, and of course Gwen and Kieran Thackery got married, but they had a norn ceremony.

So that just leaves the sylvari, who if I remember correctly are a bit odd in that they know in one sense they are all siblings but they also form ‘families’ with individuals they’re particularly close to. Again I don’t know if any type of ceremony is involved.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

sad nerdy weirdo-ness that can only be offset by an Elvis impersonator minister…

A lot of real life couples would like the option to “officially” link their characters in game. I see nothing sad or nerdy or weird about that.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

it is as sad, weird and nerdy as investing lifetime in an online game. Or investing time to discuss about an online game … what a weirdo-ness :-)

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

Over half my guildies have a long term stable relationship IRL. A wedding feature would be amazing. Would bring so much happiness in-game!

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

Smooth Penguin.5294

I’m really interested in the reasons why the wedding defectors are so against this idea. There seems to be ulterior motives, since a wedding mechanic wouldn’t affect people who don’t want to use it.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I’m really interested in the reasons why the wedding defectors are so against this idea. There seems to be ulterior motives, since a wedding mechanic wouldn’t affect people who don’t want to use it.

I’m not against it necessarily. Nothing wrong with it. My only concern is that we already have enough drama queens in game, how much worse do we potentially want to make it?

I mean, you know if they get the ability to marry, there are going to be some that start screaming for all the bells and whistles too. Ugh I can just see the new reality show now: Bridezillas of GW2.

cringe

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: ReV.6097

ReV.6097

Wouldn’t be so bad. Fun for RP players and their guildies, but boring for non RP’ers.
Shaiya had a wedding chapel map, back in the days of old MMO games.

Attachments:

GW2 Role Play Deviant art -
Legacy of Kain:
[link]http://fav.me/d8kgamy[/link]

spoj.9672

I dont think anyone is really against it if it doesnt take up valueable development resources. But it doesnt really add anything to the game either. So whats the point?

Smooth Penguin.5294

But it doesnt really add anything to the game either. So whats the point?

To each his own. Some players don’t do FotM. Some players don’t SPvP. And some players don’t RP. But that doesn’t mean all players don’t do these things. So you’re wrong on that point. It does add something to the game that everyone can use. It would be up to the player to decide to use it or not.

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

Jig’s up.. time to go back to my rata sum lab and re-tool it.

Little red Lioka

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

As long as I get to propose to Lord Faren or any other male NPC, I’m fine with it :-P

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

spoj.9672

But it doesnt really add anything to the game either. So whats the point?

To each his own. Some players don’t do FotM. Some players don’t SPvP. And some players don’t RP. But that doesn’t mean all players don’t do these things. So you’re wrong on that point. It does add something to the game that everyone can use. It would be up to the player to decide to use it or not.

No i mean it literally doesnt add anything. You have guild banks, mail system and name change scrolls. The rest you can handle with roleplay or whatever.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

In this thread it didn’t take many posts for first suggestions about weddings confering an actual mechanic advantage. And then it starts to become a problem.
It’s like it is with mounts.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Smooth Penguin.5294

Not sure being married would count as an advantage. It’s just additional fluff for players to enjoy. Just like how with mounts, they’d just be for looks (i.e. riding broom). Having a unique title like “Married to Taimi” or “Married to Penguin” offers some meaningful connection to the game. Not all players play GW2 to kill dragons. Some live out day to day lives, making their own stories to complement game lore.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If ingame marriage give some of the advantages listed in this thread, I’ll marry my alt account to my main account to take advantage of it, give me that much of an edge over those people who don’t have an alt account. You’ll see lines of people at the chapel marrying their accounts together, which I doubt is something that people who talk about ingame marriage consider.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Smooth Penguin.5294

The answer to that would then to not offer any type of advantage in game. Having a unique title and the recognition of being married to someone would do nicely in and of itself.

Posted by: xXZeroDeathXx.9408

xXZeroDeathXx.9408

I want to ride on a giant pig or giant turtle! we want cosmetic mounts!

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

I wouldn’t use it but given how Arenanet doesn’t seem to care about RP players I don’t think they would care to do something like this.

Smooth Penguin.5294

I wouldn’t use it but given how Arenanet doesn’t seem to care about RP players I don’t think they would care to do something like this.

You do realize that some Devs RP, right? And why would Anet design all these buildings in Divinity’s Reach to have rooms with working doors and talking NPCs if RPing wasn’t on their mind? They could have just made solid buildings to play off of the environment, but instead took the time to give a LOT of details to the inside of buildings.

Posted by: Oberon Vex.1389

Oberon Vex.1389

Heck, we could even have a Braham and Taimi storyline too, seeing how much they care for each other. The sky’s the limit!

What do you guys think? Does the upcoming Chapel sound like a great idea or what???

Uh… I think we’ll have a legal problem here.

And a pretty massive logistics problem

Smooth Penguin.5294

Heck, we could even have a Braham and Taimi storyline too, seeing how much they care for each other. The sky’s the limit!

What do you guys think? Does the upcoming Chapel sound like a great idea or what???

Uh… I think we’ll have a legal problem here.

And a pretty massive logistics problem

There shouldn’t be any legal or logistical problems. The Chapel is being built offsite, and airlifted to the island.