In my opinion, Dailies are a shallow gameplay mechanic

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: darkdomino.9578

darkdomino.9578

The GW2 dev team seem to have a fixation with dailies now – and this is a trend that I find somewhat disturbing, especially for a game that was touted as “above all that”

I invite you all to watch the GW2 dev manifesto, in case you’re interested in a good laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35BPhT-KI1E

We were promised something different – and yet here is A-net, encouraging people grind away for dumb rewards. Did the same dev team that made this manifesto ALSO make the game? ‘cause it’s like GW2 is suffering from massive bipolar disorder.

I’ll say it one more time: “Dailies” are not gameplay. There is no difference between having a quest NPC tell you to “kill 10 centaurs” and have a daily objective of “10 underwater kills” – THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE.

I don’t care that there are dailies. I get that a lot of people are into that… but the focus of GW2 (As stated in the manifesto) was something bigger, and deeper… So far I haven’t seen that. C’mon A-net – you can do better than this. This isn’t why a majority of us are playing GW2, or got into the series in the first place.

Fury of the Departed [Fury] – http://www.furyofthedeparted.net

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

I actually don’t have a problem with dailies being “kill X of Y” at all really. They were originally intended as an optional form of game play that was intended to reward casual players despite a minimum time investment. But now they’ve butchered that and turned dailies into something that requires playing in specific regions at specific times and doing specific things, requiring more dedication to complete than ever before. And it really has cut into my normal game play….I’ve found that much of my time is spent pursuing daily stuff when it should be spent “playing the game the way I want to”.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Posted by: Arimahn.3568

Arimahn.3568

It’s not even helping casual gamers all that much. It gives them an incentive to log in for 30 minutes each day and then log off again because the daily is all the meaningful/doable progress they will get for that day after a certain point.

Posted by: Toxyn.9608

Toxyn.9608

Daily achievements for Laurels.
Daily fractals for Pristine Relics.
Daily event chests for Loot / Precursors.
Weekly guild missions for Commendations.
Monthly achievements for Laurels.
Overall DR on Loot.

Everything is tied to the checklist now. Once completed, it is hard to find a reason to stay logged in.

“The fatal flaw in every plan is the assumption that you know more than your enemy.”

Antonius Duarte – Elementalist – Kaineng

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

I’ll say it one more time: “Dailies” are not gameplay.

That would be correct. They serve pretty well as intuitive tutorials though. Ravious has put up a pretty neat summary: http://www.killtenrats.com/2013/02/27/gw2-slow-release-storm/#more-11740

I would agree that Arenanets development efforts are unfortunately loot-centric, but it seems that’s what the audience wants.

Posted by: OscarKitteh.7198

OscarKitteh.7198

Really.. this has to be the 6th or 7th or 10 millionth thread on “omg dailies are ruining the game, so hard, can’t do them Q.Q, can’t play the way I want, etc. etc.” Don’t like the dailies, don’t do them.
No game lets you “play the way you want” but GW2 is ridiculously flexible in terms of letting us do a variety of stuff. In GW1 you had to do storyline, grind points just to access parts of the game – here? You can go to any zone as long as you have the gear and levels to handle it, you can do any event, any dungeon. But o noes, can’t get a shiny because it requires you to go out of your way for 10 minutes a day, can’t “play the way I want.”

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

They have that wonderful currency called Karma that allows you to play however you want. It was genious

Yet they continue to add currencies to give artificial time gates. Now there are certain things you can only get with laurels, certain things you can only get with relics, and certain things you can only get with guild commendations.

Such a huge game with an ingenious ubiquitous currency in Karma, yet they choose to add these kitten gates everywhere.

NO MORE NEW CURRENCIES. ..Build on what you already have!!! Yes, I’m going to keep repeating this over and over until they finally listen.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: LOCO.1785

LOCO.1785

Come on man, we all know by now the manifesto was a pipe dream.

People ask for this stuff, so ANet gives them what they want. Not me personally, I just play WvW and usually by the end of my session my daily is complete.

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

We were promised something different – and yet here is A-net, encouraging people grind away for dumb rewards.

Since this thread is about dailies, I reckon you’re referring to them as grind. Really? Something that can be done in less than 30 minutes is accepted as grind these days…

Anyway, I wish people would stop citing that kitten manifesto video. I swear, it was ANet’s greatest downfall the day they conceived that damnable thing. There are two huge problems with it:

• It can be interpreted it in many ways. When watched it will color fantastical images in the mind, even though what the devs state in the video isn’t actually false. The problem is they make it sound too good to be true, and what we have falls entirely short of the expectations they created. The idea they shape and what we find in game just isn’t that fantastical, which brings me to my second point.
  • Everything said is purposefully vague. And that created the fantastical illusion, that you can do anything, and the world is constantly alive and changing. You can fight in a dynamic way and it will never get boring. Of a deep meaningful story.
    While DEs do go to and fro, they’re a far cry from creating an actual living world.
    While the combat is a bit more exciting than just standing and hitting, you still need to do the same rotations to get the job done.
    While the personal story is decent, it wasn’t meaningful, or a deep RPG story in any way.

This is the problem in a nutshell. The game isn’t some astronomical new leap in entertainment, nor is it the second coming of gaming. Unfortunately, the manifesto overreaches the boundaries of what was plausible, and although the game is quite different, it’s not mind-blowing or the evolution of gaming.

In my opinion, dailies are fine. It’s just a way to reward you for playing, giving you small challenges to color your gameplay. What I do find lacking though is that the overall world is somewhat lackluster. I don’t mean reward wise, which everyone seems to focus on, but this whole dynamic world thing. While living story sounds promising, I’m also not referring to that. I mean the entire game world needs more diverse and affecting changes. Where constant DEs pull here and there and even interact and constantly have insane effects. Where world bosses don’t just come down on a timer, where you fight and then come back to the same spot in a few hours.

(edited by Azjenco.9425)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Anyone who doesn’t think this game is the evolution of the MMO genre, simply forgot all the stuff that’s done right…and there’s plenty of it. Of course, there’s also stuff done wrong. Did anyone really think that a zillion people would play this game and not want their phat lootz? WoW and wow clones killed the entire genre. RPGs don’t have to be about loot, but the people playing the game don’t remember that. Surely you’ve seen the numerous loot threads here, about loot this and loot that and loot nerfs. Now people are complaining about dragon chests because they can get good loot, but only once a day. Well, yeah, there is an economy to think about.

This game has done a few things that set it apart from other MMOs. Everyone being able to rez hasn’t really been done that much. The cooperative instead of competitive feeling in PVe likewise, as in no loot or node stealing. The dynamic events that chain into each other. They’re there, even if they repeat. And they’re far ahead of stuff like the Rifts in Rift, or the public quests that existed in War. Anyone who doesn’t think so isn’t being honest.

It’s an evolution for sure, but people wanted a revolution. But look at how hard it is for people to adapt to the game as is. Cosmetic rewards weren’t working for a huge percentage of the playerbase who literally need something to grind for. I don’t. I don’t want this crap in my game…but apparently we either have not enough people playing to support the game, or we have compromises that have to be made to keep the people who have been trained by other games. It sucks but there it is.

I’d love to see an MMO that’s more of an RPG, which is what Anet was aiming for…but at each turn, they’ve met with resistance from the fan base.

What has Anet put into this game, one thing, that people haven’t complained about?

Toxyn.9608

Daily achievements for Laurels.
Daily fractals for Pristine Relics.
Daily event chests for Loot / Precursors.
Weekly guild missions for Commendations.
Monthly achievements for Laurels.
Overall DR on Loot.

Everything is tied to the checklist now. Once completed, it is hard to find a reason to stay logged in.

To specify why I view this as a bad thing:

I want to be able to play the game for large amounts of time in one sitting and still benefit. Still progress my character in a meaningful way. I don’t want daily/weekly/monthly gates in front of everything. I want to be able to wake up Saturday morning and say “okay, today I am going to play Fractals all day with my buds and get my Ascended accessories”.

As it is now, after my Fractal dailies are finished my productivity hits zero. Hell we can’t even obtain Ascended amulets and accessories in Fractals, yet it is the only place in the game where they are required for progression. The reward system is flawed.

“The fatal flaw in every plan is the assumption that you know more than your enemy.”

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

It’s an evolution for sure, but people wanted a revolution.

Ah yes, that’s the correct way to phrase it.

Posted by: Refeuh.8493

Refeuh.8493

Is it really that hard to understand that dailies are not a goal on their own, that people shouldn’t log in specifically to do the dailies ? Dailies are not content or gameplay, and that’s not the way they have been presented and introduced to the game.

People seem to think of dailies as “chores”, while they shouldn’t even consider them to be a task.

You log in, you play the game (dungeons, PvE, fractals, WvW, etc. whatever you like), and as you play the game, you get the daily reward (or you get close to and just need to finish with a 2mn “gather some resources” run around)

As long as you log in regularly and play the game for at least 30-60mn, you get a reward. For free. That’s all there is to it.

If you see dailies as an endless list of boring chores, i.e. your only way to ascended gear and something you have to painfully go through, or even a waste of time, you’re not playing the game the way it’s been designed.

Posted by: Grafskopa.9140

Grafskopa.9140

I like the dailies.
But I can agree on the “kill X” is somewhat boring and a no brainer.
But the dodgeing is really fun. You have to force yourself to think in how to make a dodge successfully.
I miss the combo attacks. Sad it was taken away just because people had trouble with it. That one is also quite fun in how to think and to encourage people to play in a group. I might add that these two things, dodges and combos works well in dungeons/fractals too.
Gathering, events and crafting is quite nice to get another view in other aspects of the game and to gain a little of somthing else.

I think I might be the only one enjoying aquatic kills. Even if it’s a “kill X” I do enjoy the underwater combat and it’s a good way to train this with a bit of a carrot.

As to say, I do want to keep the dailies, but perhaps make them a little more thought through. Dailies that can be done in different areas, both PvE, PvP/WvW and dungeons/fractals. One should be able to do dailies without really thinking about them, unless one wants to be focusing on something else.

Posted by: Mackdose.6504

Mackdose.6504

They were originally intended as an optional form of game play that was intended to reward casual players despite a minimum time investment. But now they’ve butchered that and turned dailies into something that requires playing in specific regions at specific times and doing specific things, requiring more dedication to complete than ever before.

I finished my dailies yesterday twice in a 1 hour span of time. They didn’t butcher anything. “Level up once” doesn’t require dedication, and neither do any of the other tasks.

“I didn’t buy into GW2 being the second coming of christ.
I just wanted a AAA MMO with no sub made by ArenaNet. And it’s awesome.”

Posted by: badger.9321

badger.9321

I agree Refauh. I log on and play how I want to. If I am close to logging off and have not already got my daily then I might try and quickly complete it. Nine times out of ten I complete the daily from just playing normally. This current patch makes that even more likely as I won’t have to go off to a laurel vender or craft, I could decide to stay in the zone I am already in and do two killing types as well as gathering, healing etc.

I think most people seem to log on grind the daily first then start to play. If most people just played the game for half an hour or an hour they would most likely get the daily naturally or at most spend 5 minutes getting it if they felt the need to complete it.

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

I agree with Refauh too, the mindsets of a lot of people are completely different though.

Posted by: Genophix.3098

Genophix.3098

I watched the manifesto video again and I really think they have delivered on most of what they said. The game does do many things differently,

- events that shift back and forth with different outcomes,
- (almost) no hour long searching for a healer before doing a dungeon.
- a personal story with meaningful choices along the way
- great combat that is fluid, visually engaging and fun.
- a game world so full of individual and unique areas I can’t list them here
- dragon fights that while too easy IMO still look and feel awesome.
- a million subtle improvments that just work so well, like how when I’m crafting 50 iron bars the game doesn’t make me wait for each one.
- a fully functional battle/siege suite where I can battle other servers for supremacy.
- jumping puzzles! These are all unique, amazing fun and a total surprise when I started playing. They really didn’t need to do this but we got them anyway.
- 8 classes (professions) that are all unique and interesting (and viable).
- utterly stunning graphics, effects, underwater combat
- FREE TO PLAY.

The problem is no matter what amazing things MMO devs do you can’t escape what your making. MMOs have to have repetition, there is no way around this. So having dailies is just a way of making players feel like they have ticked off a list for things they will be doing anyway. I think you aren’t living in the real world if you want an MMO where every turn there is something totally new. These are called single player games and you’ll do we’ll to find one that lasts more than 6 hours these days.

One thing I do know is that this game bucks the trend, AN have made an MMO that challenges many of the things that were holding back the genre. Here’s the rub, lots of people play this game comparing it to WoW (or insert your favourite MMO here). This is Guild Wars 2 and for its faults it’s going its own way.

If you don’t like dailies then just don’t do it, I don’t see how them being in the game takes anything away. Just love the game for all the good things it has and stop worrying about little things like this.

Posted by: HannaDeFreitas.4236

HannaDeFreitas.4236

Dailies gets you back to Tyria now, somewhat… I still hate kill X mobs etc.
But it’s much better than how it was before. At least sometimes we get good dailies, before they were all fetch quests.

Posted by: Lucky.3298

Lucky.3298

someone ever got hooked to any game because of dailies?

usual gaming progress (in phases)
1.level up, enjoy game content, enjoy discovery, enjoy end-game or any other kind of challenge.
2.after sometime: bored of all, doing dailies to be “in”.
3.after short time: leaving game.

GW2: fast lvl up, discover with grind, not found fun, found a bit of farming for something to do.
game got nerfed: only dailies left, going direct to phase 3….

usual time for gaming: 1-2 years, non-usual: 5 months….

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

The daily thing started on 15Nov and keeps going.

It was “you have a random chance of getting a random Ascended Ring that cannot be bought/obtained otherwise once per day by running FotM10”.

People started complaining that the rings were too difficult to get, obviously with this amount of restriction No selling, No mailing, Once per day, A chance at it, A random ring, FotM10. (This amount of restrictions still applies to Fractal Weapons).

Once that got out of fashion, they changed it to you get an Ascended Ring of your choice after 10 days worth of FotM10. (x2 for 2 rings)

The next month after that? Introducing Laurels!, you can only get 1 Laurel per day(and 10 for Monthly) and you need 1 month worth of Laurels to get an Ascended Amulet.

But compared to that, 10 days of FotM10 x2(2 rings) was not enough grind. 20 days worth of Laurels was not enough grind either. This time, introduce 40 Laurels! and throw in 50 ectos too while you are at it. This will take 30 days worth of Laurels + 10 from Monthly, x2 for the Ascended Accessories. Or 6 weeks worth of guild missions.

Wait, did i forget to mention per character?

Basically, Arenanet’s philosophy changed on 15Nov, you can only play the game a little per day to obtain anything significant. Instead of Carrots and Sticks tactics, where if you worked hard you could end up with multiple Carrots instead, they just decided to feed you 1(and only 1)easy Carrot per day, no matter how much effort you put in.
(Hint: Do not waste your time making the rabbit run around chasing the carrot on the stick. Put the rabbit in a cage and just feed it one carrot per day)

Take a look further at the game.
Dungeon runs? each path once per day or DR kicks in
Group Event Chests? nerfed with new patch to be once per day
Laurels? daily once per day
Chance at Ascended Ring/Fractal Weapon? each tier(10 levels) once per day
Pristine Fractal Relic? once per day

What to Expect:
Increased drop rate of T6 materials but each T6 crafting material(such as Powerful Blood) will now only drop once per day. (You get one easier, but only one)
Guaranteed ecto when you salvage your first rare/exotic item once per day. You will only get 1-3 ecto per day when salvaging rares.

(Note: trend is getting worse, starting to become once per week for Guild Missions)

Soon to come:
Once per month, a piece of Ascended Armor
Once per year, a Legendary

(edited by Turtle Dragon.9241)

Posted by: Midnightjade.3520

Midnightjade.3520

I rather like dailies – today’s one took maybe 20 minutes tops. It gives me the sense of having accomplished a goal however small. Right now I’m working on world completion for legendary and am at 86%, and today’s daily didn’t even interrupt that.

In contrast, I used to play FFXI and it was routine to log on and wait for over an hour for a group to get XP or run an event. GW2 is much more time-efficient and streamlined – very nicely designed.

Onyx: Norn Guardian 80. Queen in Tatters: Asura Mesmer 80.
[The Flameseeker Prophecies] 4/11/13
Itinerant, no guild.

Toxyn.9608

Turtle Dragon. He gets it.

Posted by: Fletch.3572

Fletch.3572

For a no sub and revolutionary(it really did feel this way at launch the leveling process felt kind of great!) game they do seem to be going awfully heavy on the keeping you subbed tactics of dailies(now throw in weeklies and monthlies).

To be completely honest here, the kool-aid is quite quickly tasting stale to me. One significant content patch since launch (Southsun + Fractals). Or perhaps I’m just a burnt out gw2 addict, and nothing will please anymore. I’m rambling now and don’t even have a point =|

Toxyn.9608

@Fletch No, your point is valid. For progression-minded PvE players, we only recieved one content patch and are now “forced” to participate in open-world menial tasks and zergs to obtain the gear needed for further progression

WvW players have it just as bad. Their major patch keeps getting delayed.

Posted by: Rypo Falem.8913

Rypo Falem.8913

I’ll say it one more time: “Dailies” are not gameplay.

That would be correct. They serve pretty well as intuitive tutorials though. Ravious has put up a pretty neat summary: http://www.killtenrats.com/2013/02/27/gw2-slow-release-storm/#more-11740

I would agree that Arenanets development efforts are unfortunately loot-centric, but it seems that’s what the audience wants.

Loot-centric indeed. It seems like come update time I am the only one happy about new content being added rather than new ways to get items. I am part of a medium sized guild (8-15 on at any given night) and look forward unlocking guild missions most of all because they sound fun! The unlocking mechanic sounds a bit excessive but it will give us time to look forward to as we naturally accumulate more influence.

As for dailies. You don’t have to do them. If the method of getting laurels isn’t fun for you I just wouldn’t do them. I like having a combination of getting rewards for things I do anyway (like kill variety) as well as suggestions on what I can do if I get bored (champion hunting).

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I got my entire daily done in 1 20 minute world event yesterday. The daily is just an extra reward you get for playing the game normally for 20 minutes.

Ascended rings can now be obtained from fractals and dailies, and pretty much everyone and their brother has them already, hardly a “grind”.

If they didn’t restrict world bosses to 1 chest a day people would just farm them non-stop until the economy was destroyed and items had no meaning. Trust me, you’d like that game a lot less.

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

there is nothing i hate more than daily restrictions in game. ok for the dailies, ill go for it and even get out of dungeon to get that kill variety i don’t like. but to be able to get 1 thing / day is the thing i hate the most in any game.

let me grind for laurels for a week (or a year), let me grind cof for ectos for a week (or a year). let me grind whatever i feel like grinding, but don’t make me stop playing what i want because i did it once in a day already!

and it is getting worse, no doubt about it… playing the way i want somewhere along the way became playing the way they want. repeating is forbidden. i must do things i don’t want to, when i did the things i do want to do, as many times as they want me to do them. it is getting tiresome to keep track of all the daily gates / DR’s in this game. it really has become kind of a job to be efficient in this game. as somebody else said earlier, let me do the fractals whole weekend with my friends. this is my time and i want to spend it in game the way i want to.

what a waste. really starting to feel like korean games more and more.

and yeah, i don’t have to do whatever, so its ok:P

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I got my entire daily done in 1 20 minute world event yesterday. The daily is just an extra reward you get for playing the game normally for 20 minutes.

Ascended rings can now be obtained from fractals and dailies, and pretty much everyone and their brother has them already, hardly a “grind”.

If they didn’t restrict world bosses to 1 chest a day people would just farm them non-stop until the economy was destroyed and items had no meaning. Trust me, you’d like that game a lot less.

Posted by: Zogyark.4597

Zogyark.4597

For some reason all I’ve been doing is logging on to do my dailies then log off right after they’re done. I don’t know if I’m having less time to play, or I just got bored, or I’m playing less because of the dailies. I just can’t know.

Necromancer Lupicus Solo – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkSkhmWiDU

Retired Until Expansion or Meaningful Content is Released.

Posted by: acemanelite.3987

acemanelite.3987

I have played MMO’s as much as the next guy, and my experience is, once people are reduced to logging on to just do dailies, they already have “one foot out the door” and when the NEXT game comes along they will be done with GW2

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

I miss the combo attacks. Sad it was taken away just because people had trouble with it.

I like the dailies too, but just a small correction here – the combos were removed because there was a bug, not because it was hard. I’m not sure exactly what the bug was, but it seemed like you only got credit for the combo if you comboed on the killing hit.

I suspect if they can get the bug sorted out, it combos will come back to the dailies.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

Posted by: RageQuit.5687

RageQuit.5687

The GW2 dev team seem to have a fixation with dailies now – and this is a trend that I find somewhat disturbing, especially for a game that was touted as “above all that”

I invite you all to watch the GW2 dev manifesto, in case you’re interested in a good laugh:

We were promised something different – and yet here is A-net, encouraging people grind away for dumb rewards. Did the same dev team that made this manifesto ALSO make the game? ‘cause it’s like GW2 is suffering from massive bipolar disorder.

I’ll say it one more time: “Dailies” are not gameplay. There is no difference between having a quest NPC tell you to “kill 10 centaurs” and have a daily objective of “10 underwater kills” – THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE.

I don’t care that there are dailies. I get that a lot of people are into that… but the focus of GW2 (As stated in the manifesto) was something bigger, and deeper… So far I haven’t seen that. C’mon A-net – you can do better than this. This isn’t why a majority of us are playing GW2, or got into the series in the first place.

There’s a huge flaw in your understanding of daily achievements.
Here’s why:

Dailies are not meant to be done in a hour (they can be, of course, and even quicker than that). They are by no means obligatory.
They are there so you are rewarded as you explore the world, join events and do other tasks you would normally be doing.
Dailies are not there to substitute quests. And they are not there to give you a challenge. It’s an extra reward layer for those day-to-day tasks you do with your friends. Crafting, gathering, killing, events, all these things are being done by people on a daily basis. This is a way to reward those people for just playing the game.

Here’s my understanding of what some categories are trying to encourage you to do:

Daily Kill Variety:
As you walk about the game world, you inevitably run into hostile creatures and you (quite obviously) kill them. Which adds to the daily percentile for this task. By design the daily variety encourages the player to visit different areas in the game world and kill a variety of different creatures. As you do this, you are exploring. And as you are exploring, you are enjoying (hopefully) the beautiful scenery, the fights and rewards.

Daily events:
Ties in with the variety, assuming your wandering around will take you to more places than only between queensdale and kessex. You will inevitably stumble upon events as you travel. This encourages you to participate in the events. ON top of adding to the daily completion, you actually get karma, exp and money for them. And only 5 are needed.

Underwater Slayer:
Again, same as with the Daily Kill Variety, you are encouraged to dive into the nearest body of water and seeing as you will be killing stuff anyway, why not do it underwater. There’s always a chance you will stumble into an area you’ve never been to before or find a skill point in the depths of the ocean or whatever. Plus this ties in nicely with the DKV.

Daily gatherer.
Easy to do and preps you for the daily crafter. You will never be standing still, so why not chop down a tree or mine some ore on the way to an event? By the time you complete this, you will have enough mats to complete the daily crafter. Two birds one…Axe i guess.

Daily Crafter:
Not many people are into it. I suppose this was an incentive to get people warmed up for crafting. But as the system itself is not very useful until later levels, I can understand the lack of interest in this one. However doing the daily gatherer makes this a easy one.

We can go on and on, but the point is, these tasks are there to provide you with a purpose, even if for a short amount of time.
This is more a reward for you doing random things throughout the game world. You would normally be crafting something, why not reward you for it? Gathering materials? More progress toward the daily reward.

From the empirical evidence found in game, its easy to see how our community has become so impatient with these things. Be it trading levelling by playing for craft levelling, or running a newly opened dungeon until you hit the level ceiling (Fractals) before anyone else.

Prime example, guild missions have been released, what, a day ago? Someone’s done them already. Good on them, but won’t it be boring when you run out of things to do because you’re speeding through the content?

Everyone has to be the first one to do this or that, get the best gear, the newest armor skin, the prettiest looking exotic weapon. Nobody gives a kitten about the journey to get there. And then you complain?

Maybe it’s me, but this new generation of gamers have serious issues or ADHD.

Take your time, do it slowly. You will enjoy it more. (heh..there’s a sexual reference in there somewhere..)

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

There’s a huge flaw in your understanding of daily achievements.
Here’s why:

Dailies are not meant to be done in a hour (they can be, of course, and even quicker than that). They are by no means obligatory.
They are there so you are rewarded as you explore the world, join events and do other tasks you would normally be doing.
Dailies are not there to substitute quests. And they are not there to give you a challenge. It’s an extra reward layer for those day-to-day tasks you do with your friends. Crafting, gathering, killing, events, all these things are being done by people on a daily basis. This is a way to reward those people for just playing the game.

Here’s my understanding of what some categories are trying to encourage you to do:

Daily Kill Variety:
As you walk about the game world, you inevitably run into hostile creatures and you (quite obviously) kill them. Which adds to the daily percentile for this task. By design the daily variety encourages the player to visit different areas in the game world and kill a variety of different creatures. As you do this, you are exploring. And as you are exploring, you are enjoying (hopefully) the beautiful scenery, the fights and rewards.

Daily events:
Ties in with the variety, assuming your wandering around will take you to more places than only between queensdale and kessex. You will inevitably stumble upon events as you travel. This encourages you to participate in the events. ON top of adding to the daily completion, you actually get karma, exp and money for them. And only 5 are needed.

Underwater Slayer:
Again, same as with the Daily Kill Variety, you are encouraged to dive into the nearest body of water and seeing as you will be killing stuff anyway, why not do it underwater. There’s always a chance you will stumble into an area you’ve never been to before or find a skill point in the depths of the ocean or whatever. Plus this ties in nicely with the DKV.

Daily gatherer.
Easy to do and preps you for the daily crafter. You will never be standing still, so why not chop down a tree or mine some ore on the way to an event? By the time you complete this, you will have enough mats to complete the daily crafter. Two birds one…Axe i guess.

Daily Crafter:
Not many people are into it. I suppose this was an incentive to get people warmed up for crafting. But as the system itself is not very useful until later levels, I can understand the lack of interest in this one. However doing the daily gatherer makes this a easy one.

We can go on and on, but the point is, these tasks are there to provide you with a purpose, even if for a short amount of time.
This is more a reward for you doing random things throughout the game world. You would normally be crafting something, why not reward you for it? Gathering materials? More progress toward the daily reward.

From the empirical evidence found in game, its easy to see how our community has become so impatient with these things. Be it trading levelling by playing for craft levelling, or running a newly opened dungeon until you hit the level ceiling (Fractals) before anyone else.

Prime example, guild missions have been released, what, a day ago? Someone’s done them already. Good on them, but won’t it be boring when you run out of things to do because you’re speeding through the content?

Everyone has to be the first one to do this or that, get the best gear, the newest armor skin, the prettiest looking exotic weapon. Nobody gives a kitten about the journey to get there. And then you complain?

Maybe it’s me, but this new generation of gamers have serious issues or ADHD.

Take your time, do it slowly. You will enjoy it more. (heh..there’s a sexual reference in there somewhere..)

Laurels.

Posted by: Avatar.1923

actually the game is healthier now than it was a launch.

the “problem” is that the hardcores who played the first 6 months broke the game on many aspects.

unfortunately for anet, they didnt understad the “endgame/farmers/mmo mentality” very well at first.
i think they’ve learned a lot.
for sure, we might lose some hardcores because they are kitten because of dr or nerf or this or that.
imo; “farming” mentality need to be changed in mmos.
the next big game will not make it easy on farmers.
the next big game will have more randomized content/world boss (like dragons in skyrim everyone??)
the next big game wont have levels.
the next big game will have an infinite quest generator.

and maybe other things too !

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

unfortunately for anet, they didnt understad the “endgame/farmers/mmo mentality” very well at first.

Your innocence makes me smile. I think a lot of us may have become a bit jaded but that statement just won’t fly.

I have played MMO’s as much as the next guy, and my experience is, once people are reduced to logging on to just do dailies, they already have “one foot out the door” and when the NEXT game comes along they will be done with GW2

agreed

guild mission will need to rock.

otherwise im off to pvp/wvw

then maybe come back to pve once in a while

then maybe do this or that ..

Posted by: RageQuit.5687

RageQuit.5687

Laurels.

A very descriptive response. Thanks.
Do you mean that’s the incentive? Well if it is, it changes nothing. If anything it proves my point.

Toxyn.9608

People wouldn’t be reduced to daily tasks if progressive, meaningful content was released each month instead. New fractals, new dungeons, new sPvP maps (they got this one right), and WvW upgrades.

Wasting resources on revamping old content (AC), temporary holiday events (Halloween, Wintersday), and one-time events (Karka) isn’t helping GW2’s longevity much. The Living Story has been a bust so far, consisting simply of kill X things and collect X things.

Your innocence makes me smile. I think a lot of us may have become a bit jaded but that statement just won’t fly.

please, i meant; understanding a concept as in being able to give a solution.
in gw2; there is no solution to farming aside from DR.
if you think that is a good solution….
i dont think so.
a game could be much more different than that at launch.

Laurels.

Do you mean that’s the incentive? Well if it is, it changes nothing. If anything it proves my point.

it is the only reason to go kill aquatic beasts and racoons.
yes.
now, is killing/finding racoon fun ?
thats the question….

People wouldn’t be reduced to daily tasks if progressive, meaningful content was released each month instead. New fractals, new dungeons, new sPvP maps (they got this one right), and WvW upgrades.

Wasting resources on revamping old content (AC), temporary holiday events (Halloween, Wintersday), and one-time events (Karka) isn’t helping GW2’s longevity much. The Living Story has been a bust so far, consisting simply of kill X things and collect X things.

lets see how guild missions play out.
revamping dungeons is always good, better than put out new brokable content.
living story; major fail so far, MAJOR. i “grind it with a walkthru” but its not fun.

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

Laurels.

i would bet he meant its a must, not an incentive. there is a difference. idk to be honest…

thing is.. im happy with the new content and what the game does.
my biggest gripe is probably the encounter designs…
those “invaders”, arent they lame ??
thry could arrive on a ship, thats also a mini jumping puzzle or special encounter terrain.
i mean, a pick up truck with a few mobs you can destroy with a “spin it to win it” greatsword move?
cheap…

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

lets see how guild missions play out.
revamping dungeons is always good, better than put out new brokable content.
living story; major fail so far, MAJOR. i “grind it with a walkthru” but its not fun.

But you got a title for helping refugees! Should have been “Legendary Presser of F”

^

agreed.
comes down to the fact that encounter designs is awful most of the time.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

The best part about dailies is you don’t have to do them. Or you can. It’s up to you, just like anything else in this game. You don’t have a full set of ascended stuff? No problem. There is nothing that can’t be done without them.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Sola.7250

Sola.7250

I have 2 level 80 characters and I use the dailies to farm different areas for specific material, advance one of my lower level characters and advance my crafting.

Remember no one is forcing you to do the dailies.

Toxyn.9608

The best part about dailies is you don’t have to do them. Or you can. It’s up to you, just like anything else in this game. You don’t have a full set of ascended stuff? No problem. There is nothing that can’t be done without them.

Fractals requires Ascended gear for further progression. If it wasn’t for that, you would be right.

Posted by: Refeuh.8493

Refeuh.8493

Fractals requires Ascended gear for further progression. If it wasn’t for that, you would be right.

I don’t think this is a fair statement as people playing fractals do get access to ascended rings very quickly. It is very doable to get up to FOTM 19 with just basic rare or exotic gear and no AR at all ; by the time you get to level 20, with the daily chests, pristine tokens and fractal tokens, people should have a access to 15AR at no extra cost (2 rings + 1 capacitor, all with the basic +5 infusion)

That unlock the 20-29 tier, and it’s then only a matter of getting infused rings, infusing ascended items or upgrading the capacitor to unlock the next tier. And so on.

There’s no hard gating there ; people get the rewards to support the game mode they are playing