In my opinion, Dailies are a shallow gameplay mechanic

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Toxyn.9608

Toxyn.9608

@Refeuh That would be true if it stopped there, but the extra 15 AR gained from an Amulet and Accessories allows a higher level to be reached, and thus an increased chance of obtaining Fractal Weapon skins. Not to mention a major selling point of Fractals is “taking it to the limit”, yet that can’t be done without the new Ascended gear.

“The fatal flaw in every plan is the assumption that you know more than your enemy.”

Antonius Duarte – Elementalist – Kaineng

Posted by: Mackdose.6504

Mackdose.6504

The best part about dailies is you don’t have to do them. Or you can. It’s up to you, just like anything else in this game. You don’t have a full set of ascended stuff? No problem. There is nothing that can’t be done without them.

Fractals requires Ascended gear for further progression. If it wasn’t for that, you would be right.

You don’t need ascended gear until level 20ish. And fractals are also optional, nothing in the game is mandatory unless having best in slot gear is mandatory to you.

“I didn’t buy into GW2 being the second coming of christ.
I just wanted a AAA MMO with no sub made by ArenaNet. And it’s awesome.”

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I didn’t even read the list of dailies last night and got 7/9 completely by accident within 30 minutes of random playing. This new system has been really simple for me, but maybe it’s because I am always out and about killing enemies and doing events and stuff.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

I’d love to see an MMO that’s more of an RPG, which is what Anet was aiming for…but at each turn, they’ve met with resistance from the fan base.

Certainly not the GW1 fanbase? GW1 was more the MMO that’s more of an RPG then GW2. If they’d mixed GW2 open world events and hearts with GW1’s (instanced) missions with their diverse challenges it would have been better overall.

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

I don’t like it when people say “If you don’t want to do the dailies then don’t do them”

We don’t really have a choice if we want to progress with the game at 80. In addition, it feels like Anets “PVE end game” is leaning more towards Dailies as some sort of time sync or a time limiter to how fast you can do content.

Daily Dungeon
Daily Laurel
Daily Fractal
Daily Dragon

They did the right thing by adding difficult Guild Missions, but isn’t that also limited/daily? In addition, it requires a lot of influence and wait-time to even do them.

I’m not going to lie, I miss PVE Raids. I miss taking 3-4 days to complete a Raid and feeling accomplished or like I progressed my character. It doesn’t have to be about gear progression or higher tier stats, but it might be a good option for Ascended or new cosmetic rewards. Even things like Underworld from Guild Wars 1 would be amazing.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Underworld

Meh. I hope they read these posts and understand that players want more solid, living content that can be repeated and not limited by a silly Daily.

Posted by: Refeuh.8493

Refeuh.8493

@Toxyn : true ! But wouldn’t you agree that by the time it takes a new player to reach FOTM ~30-ish (which is how far you get when infusing the AR items you easily get in previous easier level), that player is likely to have enough laurels for an amulet ? Therefore unlocking the next tier… and then will probably be able to get an earring when reaching the new band.

The pace does seem to match the natural progress speed ; therefore I’m not sure if talking about gated content actually applies here

Posted by: Basharic.1654

Basharic.1654

I’m sorry but anyone complaining about dailies is a blithering moron so bereft of intelligence and basic reasoning, as to cast doubts on their ability to breathe unaided.

You can complete dailies in the time it takes to do Plinx.

In fact doing the entire Plinx chain will complete most, if not all, of five dailies depending on what is listed.

Now please read the next line until it sinks in. Read it aloud if need be.

Dailies are not a goal or gameplay. They are a reward system for folks who don’t have a lot of playtime.

They are incidental to playing the game. It’s like putting a cash reward on recreation league sports. You were going to go play soccer with your friends anyway, but some crazy rich gal in the stands just gave everyone participating in the game $20 just for playing.

“But Bash ZOMG laurels! Ascended gear is necessary ELEVENTY”

If you need Ascended gear for fractals what did you do before Laurels bought Ascended gear? Hrm, it’s on the tip of my tongue but I can’t seem to remember. . .

Fractals were built and tuned for getting Ascended from . . . Fractals! That makes the Ascended gear on the laurel vendor redundant, it’s there for folks who have crappy rng luck, or don’t want to do Fractals.

And sorry if BIS gear might come from things you don’t want to do. Luckily you don’t need BIS gear to do anything in this game other than bleeding-edge fractals. Not having ascended gear isn’t going to affect the other dungeons, nor anything that matters in WvW, and it sure as hell isn’t going to affect open world PVE.

Posted by: catofnine.3194

catofnine.3194

Meh. My reward after a long day is playing the game. The reward for completing the daily is just “extra.” I don’t get the mindset of people who insist on turning a past time into a job or a grind and calling it progression. You gotta wonder if they’re capable at all of turning down the usual mmo carrots (aren’t they tired of them yet?) and enjoying playing for the sake of playing? GW2 is a beautiful vibrant world. It’s a shame that people insist on fussing over playing dress up with their virtual dolls and stressing over a bunch of 1s and 0s.

Posted by: Avatar.1923

Meh. My reward after a long day is playing the game. The reward for completing the daily is just “extra.” I don’t get the mindset of people who insist on turning a past time into a job or a grind and calling it progression. You gotta wonder if they’re capable at all of turning down the usual mmo carrots (aren’t they tired of them yet?) and enjoying playing for the sake of playing? GW2 is a beautiful vibrant world. It’s a shame that people insist on fussing over playing dress up with their virtual dolls and stressing over a bunch of 1s and 0s.

thats what you call “endgame”.
beautiful/vibrant world is the exploring/leveling up, bu eventually, youll start “repeating content”. and that where no mmo but WoW got it right (at first): just give them impossibly hard content at endgame.

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

Is it really that hard to understand that dailies are not a goal on their own, …

The problem is that the laurels tie them to a whole new tier of best-in-slot gear. Ascended gear should go, or be as obtainable as exotics. As the game is developing now there’ll be a full set of ascended gear, most likely followed by a new tier of best-in-slot gear. The overall +10-15% better stats of ascended gear is significant for the more competitive area’s of the game, like Wvw.

You log in, you play the game (dungeons, PvE, fractals, WvW, etc. whatever you like), and as you play the game, you get the daily reward (or you get close to and just need to finish with a 2mn “gather some resources” run around)

No you don’t, you don’t get anywhere close by just roaming or exploring, let alone by doing only dungeons, or Wvw.

As long as you log in regularly and play the game for at least 30-60mn, you get a reward. For free. That’s all there is to it.

Which is a grind in itself. I don’t want to log in everyday to do some job and then log off. Like a job, but worse as it’s neither as challenging nor as rewarding as a real life job.

If you see dailies as an endless list of boring chores, i.e. your only way to ascended gear and something you have to painfully go through, or even a waste of time, you’re not playing the game the way it’s been designed.

How was it designed then? Does it’s design not include Ascended gear, does it’s design not include competitive area’s? Does it’s design not include a tiered gear treadmill and does it’s design allow you to not partake in that treadmill and still be able to participate in all content? One year from now?

Posted by: RageQuit.5687

RageQuit.5687

Laurels.

A very descriptive response. Thanks.
Do you mean that’s the incentive? Well if it is, it changes nothing. If anything it proves my point.

i would bet he meant its a must, not an incentive. there is a difference. idk to be honest…

Why is that a “must”? Who is forcing their hand? I never saw a post from anet stating this is mandatory. Where is this mentality coming from.

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

+1

I hate that I “have” to do the dailies to get better gear. I’d much rather have other options in place, be it from fractals, dungeons, karma, or straight gold.

Dailies are just about the most un-fun activity in ANY MMO. Sure, they don’t take much time, but come on…how is underwater kills, vet kills, gathering, champ kills, kill types, dodges, revives, etc fun?

It just seems like such a waste of 20-30 minutes each day, when I could have just bought the gear I wanted and gone back to playing the game itself(WvW).

I get that dailies give people without a lot of time a means of accessing content…but why should the rest of us have to partake in this bullkitten? I’d much rather spend my time in WvW or doing dungeons than running about doing the above mentioned kitten.

because thats where they “send” their endgame players.

facerolling a few invaders (cheap encounter designs btw), farming them for the achievement and picking up 2 object on the ground.

you do it, because its the “next thing to do”. but in your heart you go like “ugh, this is kitten boring”.
and too many of these and you eventually move out.

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

I feel like both sides of the argument are true in this case. The game is definitely overhyped by anet, but its a great game. The chest changes help out the ppl that can only get to a couple a day, but the dragon grinders are screwed. Dailies are easy, but feel like an obligation. Dungeons are great, but they keep messing with them instead of creating new ones. They gave us a bunch of new content with the guild stuff, but it’s inaccessible.

dailies are also not quite nailed yet.
killing “ambiant creatures” ?

omg.

i know its hard to make the open world “fun again”, but that is the challenge.
dailes dont do it, its not good design. too bad.

keep working at it anet and thank you for trying!

Refeuh.8493

you don’t get anywhere close by just roaming or exploring, let alone by doing only dungeons, or Wvw

We mustn’t be playing the same game…

So, when you play dungeons, you never…
. kill roaming monsters
. dodge attacks
. resurrect downed or dead allies or npcs
. collect items you can recycle or put in the mystic forge
. collect items you can salvage to craft other items
. defeat champions or veterans

And when you play WvW, you never…
. kill roaming monsters
. dodge attacks
. resurrect downed or dead allies
. collect resources from nodes
. complete events by attacking/defending key locations
. do the jumping puzzles

So what exactly are people doing in dungeons or WvW ? Because I get all my dailies completed at virtually no extra cost.

somsom.5201

you don’t get anywhere close by just roaming or exploring, let alone by doing only dungeons, or Wvw

We mustn’t be playing the same game…

So, when you play dungeons, you never…
. kill roaming monsters
. dodge attacks
. resurrect downed or dead allies or npcs

And when you play WvW, you never…
. kill roaming monsters
. dodge attacks
. resurrect downed or dead allies
. collect resources from nodes
. complete events by attacking/defending key locations
. do the jumping puzzles

So what exactly are people doing in dungeons or WvW ? Because I get all my dailies completed at virtually no extra cost.

I’ll just go over your points,

Dungeons:
. kill roaming monsters*yes, this is one of the easiest, along with variety, usually a path or two nets this*
. dodge attacks*yes, another easy one, usually a path or two nets it*
. resurrect downed or dead allies or npcs*no way, unless you are in a horrible group, this is best for low level areas or frostgorge*
. collect items you can recycle or put in the mystic forge*nope, better to get jute scrap or something off the TP and vendor the rest*
. collect items you can salvage to craft other items*nope, see above*
. defeat champions or veterans*maybe you see 1 per run, better to do this open world*

WvW:
. kill roaming monsters*this with kill variety is easy*
. dodge attacks*this can be done in one shot with a zerg*
. resurrect downed or dead allies*too long, easier in PvE*
. collect items you can recycle or put in the mystic forge*no, see dungeon reasons*
. collect items you can salvage to craft other items*no, see dungeon reasons*
. defeat champions or veterans*scouts are easy, but requires lots of running, easier in PvE*
. collect resources from nodes*easiest place to gather imo, can be finished in under 5 minutes usually*
. complete events by attacking/defending key locations*this along with vets can be done fairly fast, depends on the state of the scouts on the map though*
. do the jumping puzzles*lol no*

The new dailies have much more broad requirements(some are very specific to regions), so the methods you said aren’t necessarily going to work anymore.

Refeuh.8493

Who cares if something can be done more easily or more “efficiently” somewhere else ?

Selling worthless dungeon drops and buying jute scrap to complete the daily “salvage” goal is a bit “too much” from my point of view. People doing that will waste 5mn to save 2 silvers. Who cares about 2 silvers ? The exact same 5mn that make people whine about the dailies, complaining it’s a big time sink…

All I’m saying is that even when playing dungeons or WvW players have plenty of opportunities to complete 80% of their dailies for free.

But not doing so, and trying to “optimise” the play time and trying to do these activity elsewhere, it then becomes a chore and a waste of time ; this is a great example where trying to optimise things too much is actually counterproductive.

If people were doing these as they play what they like, there would be much less complains on the forums.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

It’s an evolution for sure, but people wanted a revolution.

Ah yes, that’s the correct way to phrase it.

Here’s a problem. Evolution is very misunderstood as a culture . . .

Evolution is not simply becoming better, and never getting anything wrong. Evolution is filled with tons of dead-ends which didn’t work and died off. Evolution is life looking for some way of “winning” the long-term survival game.

Apply this to MMOs? Every game which builds off the previous offerings and doesn’t just wholesale copy how things work and add a little bow is “evolution” in action. The Old Republic was an evolution. World of Warcraft was an evolution. EverQuest was an evolution. Ultima Online was an evolution. EvE Online was an evolution.

A revolution is a highly destructive change which leaves things different from when they started out. It causes an intense period of upheaval under which a lot . . . a lot of people get hurt. By its nature, it is relatively easy to start but rather difficult to follow through on.

A revolution is not what people, instinctively, want. Interestingly enough, they do want the familiar, they want the safe, and they want things they know how to deal with. Throwing them into the unknown has them struggling to make sense of it in a way they are familiar with and looking for things which resemble what they know. Landmarks in a sense.

Guild Wars 2 is an evolution, but for smaller touches here and there which work rather well in theory. I can’t wait to see in five years what can be traced back to this game as the inspiration for whatever comes next.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Harbard.5738

Harbard.5738

I came back to see if things had improved. Maybe new engaging freeform gameplay, maybe less of of an obsession with rewards, loot and kitten, I dared to hope. Apparently what we get is more currencies and more gated repetitive bullkitten with “rewards”. Snorefest. See you in a couple of months, maybe.

Give me game. Not grind, not gating, not RNG, not +stat junk, not checklists.

^

i also am a bit disapointed with reward oriented content instead of gameplay oriented content (that can be rewarding too).

but i havent tried guild missions yet.

the fractals were a reward grind, but it was cool enough for me to put 30+hours in it!
aside the fact that the fractal lore was… non existent. gameplay wise they are fun.

Posted by: Okhu.7948

Okhu.7948

Its a good thing dailies aren’t required. You get a selection of which ones you want to do, and most of them can be done while regularly playing the game.

Take your whining back to the WoW Forums.

“nothing is required in this game”.

that doesnt cut it, laurels ARE “required” and right now you can only get them with dailes, killing raccoons and fish and let the npcs die cruely just to rez them.

Toxyn.9608

Its a good thing dailies aren’t required. You get a selection of which ones you want to do, and most of them can be done while regularly playing the game.

Progression in Fractals requires Ascended gear. Dailies award unique Ascended gear. Ergo progression in Fractals requires dailies.

“The fatal flaw in every plan is the assumption that you know more than your enemy.”

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Simply put, I like the dailies. It gives me a few goals without restricting me. I log in to play what I like and often get a surprise when the daily completion chest comes up on my screen. In just regular play I get most of them.

Then when I know I’m going to be quitting for the day in ~15-20 minutes I see if I’m close on any of the dailies and then just go finish them. So if I have killed 18 of those 25 underwater beasties, I go underwater just to finish that up. No stress, no obligations, no real concern, just a goal I can choose to finish if I want.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: OscarKitteh.7198

OscarKitteh.7198

Progression in Fractals requires Ascended gear. Dailies award unique Ascended gear. Ergo progression in Fractals requires dailies.

You get Ascended AR gear from fractals. If you regularly do fractals, you have more than enough to progress in fractals unless you are playing a ridiculously high level at which, I’d bet you aren’t too opposed to grinding. You don’t need AR gear for any other part of the game.

sure the game is amazing (probably one of my best ever) but the content updates show some weaknesses.
thats all.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

The GW2 dev team seem to have a fixation with dailies now – and this is a trend that I find somewhat disturbing, especially for a game that was touted as “above all that”

I invite you all to watch the GW2 dev manifesto, in case you’re interested in a good laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35BPhT-KI1E

We were promised something different – and yet here is A-net, encouraging people grind away for dumb rewards. Did the same dev team that made this manifesto ALSO make the game? ‘cause it’s like GW2 is suffering from massive bipolar disorder.

I’ll say it one more time: “Dailies” are not gameplay. There is no difference between having a quest NPC tell you to “kill 10 centaurs” and have a daily objective of “10 underwater kills” – THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE.

I don’t care that there are dailies. I get that a lot of people are into that… but the focus of GW2 (As stated in the manifesto) was something bigger, and deeper… So far I haven’t seen that. C’mon A-net – you can do better than this. This isn’t why a majority of us are playing GW2, or got into the series in the first place.

So now the manifesto being used for this reason now at this point i think the manifesto been used for every thing small that random ppl hate. Its just out right sad you guys realty are very bad at making arguments.
Any way Dailies are an effect way of dealing with ppl hate to grinding. Effectively your asking for them to add in more grind and RNG by calling Dailies bad things. If we look at ppl reaction to adding of new things they feel that they MUST do them and if they MUST do things they call it a grind so there must be a way to removed this grind and dailies are the best way of pulling this off. A major reward for the first time you do it but a great deal less rewards for the repeat of that day. It means you can just run something once a day to get what you want vs running the same thing over and over in that one day in a glut of play.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

Laurels.

A very descriptive response. Thanks.
Do you mean that’s the incentive? Well if it is, it changes nothing. If anything it proves my point.

i would bet he meant its a must, not an incentive. there is a difference. idk to be honest…

Why is that a “must”? Who is forcing their hand? I never saw a post from anet stating this is mandatory. Where is this mentality coming from.

look m8. u don’t have to do anything in this game. u can be lvl 1 afking in starting zone. but if u want gear u must do this.

on the other hand, when will it stop? feeling is i must be up to date with gear because next expansion might be unplayable without. this is what makes it a must. anet never stated that exotic gear will be endgame and that is upsetting especially for me since i am gw1 player. there is even speculation on max lvl increase. this is gw1 heresy, gear treadmill is for wow, imho. it is true that exotics are enough for now, but where is it going? will it be a must on next expansion and will it be too late then to gear up with the daily laurel system in place at this time?

where is this going anet?

(edited by PetricaKerempuh.7958)

Posted by: Branskins.9752

Branskins.9752

Dailies are grind now? They are so easy to complete now…

Wrecking Krew [Krew] – Borlis Pass

Posted by: Wolfxten.5431

Wolfxten.5431

I see what your saying darkdomino but like others have said I don’t believe they are gameplay and that it is almost like a tutorial or practice. I find it useful actually. I’m still leveling up now so it’s nice that when I’m questing or just killing things I could get even more exp from the daily. It may not be a lot that it gives but every little bit helps right.

somsom.5201

Who cares if something can be done more easily or more “efficiently” somewhere else ?

Selling worthless dungeon drops and buying jute scrap to complete the daily “salvage” goal is a bit “too much” from my point of view. People doing that will waste 5mn to save 2 silvers. Who cares about 2 silvers ? The exact same 5mn that make people whine about the dailies, complaining it’s a big time sink…

All I’m saying is that even when playing dungeons or WvW players have plenty of opportunities to complete 80% of their dailies for free.

But not doing so, and trying to “optimise” the play time and trying to do these activity elsewhere, it then becomes a chore and a waste of time ; this is a great example where trying to optimise things too much is actually counterproductive.

If people were doing these as they play what they like, there would be much less complains on the forums.

Sorry, but the REASON I’m doing it like that, is because I want to be able to play how I want, which is by NOT doing dailies. Yet, I’m FORCED to daily to get ascended gear(which I need for WvW/dungeons). In other words: kitten it all.

Dailies are grind now? They are so easy to complete now…

It’s a grind doing kitten I don’t want to do, yet I’m FORCED to do if I want to be competitive. Content gating ftfl

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Sorry, but the REASON I’m doing it like that, is because I want to be able to play how I want, which is by NOT doing dailies. Yet, I’m FORCED to daily to get ascended gear(which I need for WvW/dungeons). In other words: kitten it all.

Some one need to stop holding guns to ppl heads because that the only way some one can force you to do any thing (i know there more things but its the best way of putting this). Your not forced to do a thing stop pretending your some type of victim its your own chose what you work for not Anets.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

somsom.5201

Some one need to stop holding guns to ppl heads because that the only way some one can force you to do any thing (i know there more things but its the best way of putting this). Your not forced to do a thing stop pretending your some type of victim its your own chose what you work for not Anets.

Not really. Ascended is the new exotic. How can we get Ascended? Some from fractals(already had this AGES ago), some from dailies, now some from guild missions.

See the problem? It’s all hidden behind gates. I’d be perfectly fine if it was like a legendary and required lots of mats/gold. Don’t have that? Then go waste your time waiting a month for the daily version.

And yes, it IS required. Obviously you don’t play at a high level or you would know that there is a LEGIT stat increase via Ascended gear(aferall, ANet themselves said it is the CURRENT MAX tier).

Branskins.9752

It’s not required. My guild is a WvW guild and many of our top players have 0 ascended armor because they have no interest in PvE.

I have yet to hear them complain that they are at a huge disadvantage.

The game still rewards skill. Ascended gear may be required for fractals, but no other content requires it

Tobias Trueflight.8350

And yes, it IS required. Obviously you don’t play at a high level or you would know that there is a LEGIT stat increase via Ascended gear(aferall, ANet themselves said it is the CURRENT MAX tier).

. . . it’s really weird. I’m now kitted out in full exotic and not having any trouble with content which is outside Fractals because my gear is too weak. I’m having problems because I suck, and because I’m a ranger, but not because the gear isn’t good enough.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Dailies are simply an option. Play them if you want to, but they are not required. I don’t bother with em’ myself. If they happen while I’m just playing, then cool. Never chase them though.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Toxyn.9608

Add amulets and accessories to the Fractal vendor for Pristine Relics.

Add all ascended gear to a WvW vendor for Badges of Honor.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

The first one I really hope they do after they finish with getting the Trinkets fleshed out.

The second I am hesitant on, but it could work.

Problem is, I don’t know if people will get enough Badges/Relics to earn them.

Branskins.9752

This is the only thing I cannot figure out. I have accumulated so many badges and have nothing to spend them on. And lots of WvWers dislike PvE so forcing them to PvE is odd.

It seems like this will be fixed in the March update. Ascended gear will be added to WvW at some point. I hope it’s soon because many WvWers are getting restless waiting for them to be added

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

let me craft it as jeweler.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

let me craft it as jeweler.

. . . here’s another interesting idea which needs some fleshing out.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Why should I be forced to login in order to earn my daily reward. This kind of grind should be considered unacceptable these days. I should be awarded daily awards whether or not I log in.

Branskins.9752

Also: it’s a Daily Achievement. It is not just a daily reward you get for logging in.

In fact, they have probably spoiled us by making these achievements too easy to get

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

I’ll say it one more time: “Dailies” are not gameplay. There is no difference between having a quest NPC tell you to “kill 10 centaurs” and have a daily objective of “10 underwater kills” – THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE.

Wow, you sure picked an odd time to start complaining about dailies — right after they made them even more open and optional than they were from the beginning.

There is a difference between “Kill 10 Centaurs” and the GW2 dailies, and I can’t believe you don’t see it. Back in WoW, we used to have to do repetitive daily quests over long periods of time, just to grind reputation with various factions so we’d have adequate gear for the endgame dungeons. If you didn’t have a sufficient gear score, you couldn’t do the dungeons — which pretty much meant your PvE game ended there and you couldn’t even SEE any more content beyond that.

A traditional “daily quest” has you traveling to some far-off zone, doing a particular chore ad nauseum for weeks and weeks until you’re so sick of it that you can’t even remember when you used to be in it for the fun.
GW2’s daily achievements do not make you go to a particular map, they doesn’t make you farm/grind a particular activity, they now give you a wide range of options in WHICH dailies you can complete, and most importantly you don’t have to do them at all, to keep enjoying the game and seeing all the content. You can do all the dungeons, see the whole world, fight all the bosses, experience the whole story, whether you complete the daily achievements or not. Laurels don’t buy keys that you need to unlock the next stage of the game.

Besides, most of the dailies now are pretty easy to complete even if you ignore them and make no special effort to focus on them at all. I mean, some of them are literally just “Kill Things,” “Gather,” “Gain a Level,” “Craft Something,” etc. If you can’t get at least a few of those done through your normal playing, I can’t even begin to imagine what it is you do online — but it sure sounds like you’re really going out of your way to make your play style counterproductive.

And even if you can’t play every day, you still get laurels if you manage to do the monthly achievement. And if that isn’t your preferred way to get ascended stuff (assuming that’s what your problem is), you can run Fractals, or do the new guild missions. Or, heck — don’t do any of those, and I think you’ll find you’re not being shut out of anything.

I swear, every time ArenaNet introduces a new concept or activity, somebody points a finger at it and declares it yet another “example” of grinding. Have you people never played another MMORPG in your life? Seriously, what games have you been playing, because if they are better than GW2 with regards to dealing with gating content behind grinding they must be some kind of miracle workers.

Posted by: Timothy.7204

Timothy.7204

I was thinking this also. They promoted this game before it was released, about no grinding. Yet thats what its becoming. Doing the Refugee thing last night was driving me insane. Every time you complete one of the tasks, then the stupid thing increases, it goes from killing 30 mobs, to 60 mobs, to 100 mobs, and who knows what after that. Thats the worst kind of grind to have in any game. That is not fun.

The GW2 dev team seem to have a fixation with dailies now – and this is a trend that I find somewhat disturbing, especially for a game that was touted as “above all that”

I invite you all to watch the GW2 dev manifesto, in case you’re interested in a good laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35BPhT-KI1E

We were promised something different – and yet here is A-net, encouraging people grind away for dumb rewards. Did the same dev team that made this manifesto ALSO make the game? ‘cause it’s like GW2 is suffering from massive bipolar disorder.

I don’t care that there are dailies. I get that a lot of people are into that… but the focus of GW2 (As stated in the manifesto) was something bigger, and deeper… So far I haven’t seen that. C’mon A-net – you can do better than this. This isn’t why a majority of us are playing GW2, or got into the series in the first place.

Posted by: Timothy.7204

Timothy.7204

And of course, like always, they have people who defend them doing this. Claiming you have the choice to not do it. That is a lame excuse.

Posted by: CookMETEnder.7582

CookMETEnder.7582

I like the dailies

dailies are “ok”, an they can only get better.

living story is lame, ill give you that.
geez…
gimme some text, lore, better encounters, something!!

Tobias Trueflight.8350

And of course, like always, they have people who defend them doing this. Claiming you have the choice to not do it. That is a lame excuse.

No, not really lame. Incomplete analysis perhaps, but valid. Now, here’s the heart of why people say it is optional and you don’t have to do it. I’ll present this in a question/answer format so we can see where the thread goes.

Q: What, exactly, do you lose out on not doing the Daily?
A: Some silver, a Jug of Instant Karma (4500 Karma), a Mystic Coin, and one Laurel for each day.

Q: Why do you need these?
A: Silver supplements other coin income, the Jug highly supplements Karma gain as it is more efficient than other methods of gaining Karma (and can be banked to be enriched via boosting items at a later time), the Mystic Coin is used in several Mystic Forge recipes, and the Laurels can be exchanged for Ascended items or other things.

Q: Out of all that, what can you not earn another way?
A: Mystic Coins and Laurels.

Q: Why do you require Mystic Coins?
A: For certain Mystic Forge recipes, most notably the ones which are on the way to a Legendary.

Q: Why do you require Laurels?
A: For readily accessible Ascended gear.

Q: Why do you require Ascended gear?
A: For the stat bonus over currently existing Exotic trinkets.

And here is the question which is often the focal point of either side:
Q: What can you do using Ascended trinkets that you cannot do with Exotic trinkets?