Income vs. Cost Discrepancy

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: zaxziakohl.5243

zaxziakohl.5243

Okay so I recently reached 80. I noticed one thing that has been driving me nuts.In theory you can do whatever you want in game. The point is to enjoy it.

Okay. I wanted to craft. So I saved up my mats. I wanted to do my storyline. So I did that. I also completed over 50% of the world map (67%) now.

I had to sell all my mats. I didn’t have enough money for my trait books. The mats I sold brought in more than enough for that…but…

You would figure that cost and reward would go up equally with level, but that’s not the case.

lvl 1-10~10c for a waypoint (long distance about 25c)
1-10 heart reward -45c-75c
Event about 50c

lvl 40ish about 2s for a teleport (long distance)
40ish heart reward 1.5s-2.5s
40ish event about 1s

80 long distance teleport is 4s
Heart reward is 3s
Event is 1.9s

At a higher level you have more map to cover…so they charge you more respectively? That doesn’t make sense! I understand raising the priced based on level. Your rewards increase, so therefore so does the price, but at level 80 1 teleport is more than a reward! Shouldn’t they increase equally?

I HAVE to supplement my rewards with sales. Just to make sure I have enough funds to cover dying! Nearest waypoint on death costs 1.9s about. So I have to complete one event, for every time I die, just to stay in the green, and I pay upwards of 15s a day in repairs now. Also to note, the more events I do, generally the more repairs I end up needing(so the cost perpetuates itself.)

I understand the problem with keeping people from farming events for money. So you make the amount low enough to discourage them, but honestly, I don’t want to complete 75+ events just so I can repair my damaged gear and have teleport money for a week!

Not everyone farms/gathers, how are those people supposed to make money? There is NO recurring source of money at high levels that is decently substantial other than farming.

Map completion is a 1 time deal. Daily achievements (wow 5s!) is not very substantial. Events don’t pay enough to be worth it, and hearts are a 1 time deal. What happens when we run out of things to do? Are we going to be FORCED to farm?

I don’t mind farming….but come on, it should NOT be the only substantial source of income! We should be able to use those materials! (Note:crafted items often sell for much less than the base materials used to make them would. Also not right…)

If you craft one high level item, very often the vendor would also pay you more for the base materials than he would for the final result…

Posted by: Campana.9216

Campana.9216

When I got to level 80 I found I was paying out a lot in repair bills, so I started playing a lot more carefully. I now die a lot less than I used to. I’m spending probably less than 2s per day on repairs, so 15s per day does seem a little high.

I’m not disagreeing with you over waypoint and repair costs being very high, but you could definitely help yourself by cutting that repair bill down.

Posted by: zaxziakohl.5243

zaxziakohl.5243

I do most of my play solo, and I have a bad tendency of getting mob groups. I’m not great at doing groups. I can solo most veterans and a few champs, as well as most skill point challenges, but I die repeatedly in story quests, and I die if I’m so much as sneezed at during events….I could respec, and I wouldn’t die near as fast, but I wouldnpt kill near as quickly either….

I also remember them saying somewhere that dying wasn’t supposed to be a punishable offense. They were going to do gear repair, as a reminder, that hey, it’s not necessarily good, but don’t I pay enough in repairs to not have to empty my bank in teleport fees? Not to mention, if my friend goes “OMG this champ is gonna kill me! I’ll kite it till you get here!” and they are in a starter zone and I’m in Orr, I’m gonna end up paying several silver to get there before they get quashed….

The fees at that level just aren’t appropriate for the amount we earn…

(edited by zaxziakohl.5243)