Increase max render distance options.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Harrada.8041

Harrada.8041

Tyria is a beautiful place. Let those who can experience that beauty without being tainted by an out-of-place fog. I was climbing to the top of a large hill to enjoy a gorgeous view of the Gendarran Fields, when instead, I was incredibly saddened.

Take a look for yourself.

http://i.imgur.com/RSwRbMR.jpg?1

I am currently running gw2 on max settings at a smooth 90 FPS.

I’m not asking for you to force others to play at higher settings, just that you give us the ability to do so. There is so much wasted potential by limiting us to such a short distance.

Posted by: Unpredictability.4086

Unpredictability.4086

You may also want to turn off the depth of field graphic option.

Posted by: Xzaander.4123

Xzaander.4123

Woah, I could swear that I’ve stood on that exact spot and not had such an empty vista! But if you say you play in max settings then I take your word for it, gotta start GW2 up myself and check in any case to be able to say anything about it.

Btw, are you talking about LOD only or is the fog included in the problem?

Harrada.8041

You may also want to turn off the depth of field graphic option.

For some reason, I like this option on.

FXAA doesn’t affect distant objects as much as it does closer objects (at least thats how my eyes see it), and the depth blur effect sort of masks that.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

This has been an issue since they made the Not So Secret jumping puzzle.

Ever since that patch objects have not been rendered at the distance they did at launch.

I remember being able to see the Vigil Keep from half way across Gendarran Fields, but now you have to be really close.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Harrada.8041

Woah, I could swear that I’ve stood on that exact spot and not had such an empty vista! But if you say you play in max settings then I take your word for it, gotta start GW2 up myself and check in any case to be able to say anything about it.

Btw, are you talking about LOD only or is the fog included in the problem?

If yours looks any better, please post a screen shot. If so, I could only assume something has gone horribly wrong with my video settings.

And I would say the blue fog is part of the problem. It fades into abyss far too soon. I know for a fact that I could render 4 times this and still be at a smooth 60 FPS. I just think there is a lot of wasted potential considering how beautiful the game is.

Harrada.8041

Here is another screenshot taken from the Vigil Keep, overlooking all of Gendarr— Nothing.

http://i.imgur.com/w2DSqcm.jpg?1

Xzaander.4123

If yours looks any better, please post a screen shot. If so, I could only assume something has gone horribly wrong with my video settings.

And I would say the blue fog is part of the problem. It fades into abyss far too soon. I know for a fact that I could render 4 times this and still be at a smooth 60 FPS. I just think there is a lot of wasted potential considering how beautiful the game is.

Ha, stupid me, saw now that you indeed mentioned the fog in the main post. I would also really like to be able to see further without that annoying fog blocking my view, as I remember when playing PWI some ears ago. Maybe I remember it wrong, but I remember being able to see quite far into the distance in that game.

But this might pose a problem in WvW, as it would maybe be a bit unfair that only a selected few could see so far into the distance. I don’t know, maybe that’s not a problem though.

Will post a screen soon!

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Indeed it looks terrible. I could have sworn that it looked better in the past. Maybe result of some “optimization” to cater to even worse computers

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Harrada.8041

Ha, stupid me, saw now that you indeed mentioned the fog in the main post. I would also really like to be able to see further without that annoying fog blocking my view, as I remember when playing PWI some ears ago. Maybe I remember it wrong, but I remember being able to see quite far into the distance in that game.

But this might pose a problem in WvW, as it would maybe be a bit unfair that only a selected few could see so far into the distance. I don’t know, maybe that’s not a problem though.

Will post a screen soon!

I’m not sure (could be wrong), but I believe they have a separate setting for character draw distance. If not, I’m sure they could make one. However, wouldn’t that already be an issue for players set at the lowest render distance compared to the highest?

Posted by: Coltz.5617

Coltz.5617

You sure that is max setting? ( though I agree on the distance rendering )

my max setting looks a lil different..

http://i.imgur.com/6ZZ19T3.jpg

- I infract cause I’m passionate about the game-
“ALL IS VAIN”
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/gf-left-me-coz-of-ladderboar/page/6#post3486969

Xzaander.4123

Will post a screen soon!

I’m not sure (could be wrong), but I believe they have a separate setting for character draw distance. If not, I’m sure they could make one. However, wouldn’t that already be an issue for players set at the lowest render distance compared to the highest?

That’s why wasn’t sure if that was even a problem, because higher draw distance on terrain only wouldn’t really give an advantage. And now when discussing it, I think I’m sure that characters are rendered separately. And as you say, that advantage would already exist in that case.

Also, my draw distance is the same so I must’ve remembered it wrong:

Attachments:

Xzaander.4123

Hm, are you sure you don’t run SweetFX or something? You seem to have some over-saturation, under-exposure and grain going on, or maybe that’s your gamma settings?

Coltz.5617

I should set my settings to default on everything before i SS is correct. What happend makes more sense now.

“ALL IS VAIN”
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/gf-left-me-coz-of-ladderboar/page/6#post3486969

(edited by Coltz.5617)

Harrada.8041

Yup! My screenshot was just focused on the distant landscape, and they come out all grainy for some reason.

Coltz.5617

Yup! My screenshot was just focused on the distant landscape, and they come out all grainy for some reason.

Oh I should also mention sometimes in different areas random fog comes and go that suppose to show the gradual change in atmosphere like the shadow behemoth etc. However since I am there now checking it out.. That doesn’t seem to be the case.

“ALL IS VAIN”

Harrada.8041

Will post a screen soon!

That’s why wasn’t sure if that was even a problem, because higher draw distance on terrain only wouldn’t really give an advantage. And now when discussing it, I think I’m sure that characters are rendered separately. And as you say, that advantage would already exist in that case.

Also, my draw distance is the same so I must’ve remembered it wrong:

Thanks for the pictures.

Hopefully they will put some thought into improving this.
However the only way that will happen is if we make it clear its something we really want. Haha.

Xzaander.4123

Tyria is a big place, and should therefore feel big. And the fog is definitely not helping in making it so.. too bad really. GW2 has some of the most immersive, awe-inspiring, detailed and believable areas I’ve seen in not only a mmorpg, but even when compared to some single-player games. It would be really nice to be able to see all of it.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

Tyria is a big place, and should therefore feel big. And the fog is definitely not helping in making it so.. too bad really. GW2 has some of the most immersive, awe-inspiring, detailed and believable areas I’ve seen in not only a mmorpg, but even when compared to some single-player games. It would be really nice to be able to see all of it.

There are actually quite a few issues with this- the camera, the game’s blurriness unless supersampled, the fog, etc. Really quite a shame, although it is quite beautiful, even with the issues.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Xzaander.4123

There are actually quite a few issues with this- the camera, the game’s blurriness unless supersampled, the fog, etc. Really quite a shame, although it is quite beautiful, even with the issues.

True, the blur being another major visual problem for me personally. I’ve turned of AA, and for a while Depth Blur too, but it doesn’t seem to make much of a difference. Don’t really know what’s causing it, it’s like a weird haze laying on top of the screen. Maybe some post-processing fullscreen effect, like color-correction?

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

I’ve just assumed it’s something with how the game deals with rendering stuff in the distance, or stuff is just blurry. I just have to set the rendering sampling to native and try to ignore it, since once I see how blurry the stuff is (especially the trees) I just have to have supersampling on, which ruins my performance. It’s one of the reasons why I just can’t have depth blur on; everything just gets blurry WAY too close to the screen.

I actually have a similar issue with Skyrim, where kitten just seems like it’s blurry and it shouldn’t be, and I’ve never managed to figure it out. May just be a resolution issue or something (ie, it’d be better at higher res). Can’t really say, though, and it seems ridiculous that something over 1080P would be necessary; as it is, most people don’t even have a res that high.

Sorry if this is a little rambly e.e Just same random thoughts/observations on the issue.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Justin.7163

Justin.7163

Signed. I’d love to be able to see farther than we currently can with the fog in place. It makes the game world feel claustrophobic.

Harrada.8041

Bump for render justice!

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

I’d rather they’d fix their engine to use more CPU cores and GPU properly first, and maybe add DX11 support?

Also, we need moving platforms.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Mank.2183

Mank.2183

I’d rather they’d fix their engine to use more CPU cores and GPU properly first, and maybe add DX11 support?

Optimising CPU/GPU usage more would be nice, but DX11 support will do squat and bring very little to the table but more compatibility issues and divided focus.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Its what Anet self has announced at the very beginnign, that GW2 will have anywhen later also DX11 Support.
They absolutely need to do it, the current game with its DX9 support only and its performance in regard of CPU/GPU optimisatrion that doesn’t atm make use of all cores a PC has is terribly crippling a high end pc down to a very sub optimal performance, when such PCs could run with DX11 support and better optimization for CPU/GPU could run a much much better performance, that lets these PC burnout so extremely fast their RAM.
Because of that sub optimal performance, high end PCs make use of only like max 4GB RAM.
So a PC, like mine, which has 16 GB of RAM with 8 Cores , absolutely gets crippled at the moment by the game’s DX9 support and CPU/GPU performance settings.

For me its sadly due to this no miracle, that my game crashes oftenly in the middle of hefty WvW Battles, if I try to play WvW on Max Settings, because those 4 GB RAM are quickly over, if 2 huge Zergs crush into each other spammign their skills.

thats a huge gamebreakign performance issue, that Anet can only solve by optimizign the games CPU/GPU performance for higher end PCs that get crippled down due to the game supporting only DX9 currently and making only usage of maximum 2 or 4 Cores.

If we could get the game to run with makign usage of all cores, the games would run much smoother, cause of suche pcs being able to calculate much faster all of the games processes with lesser effort what would let the game run the game alot msoother in such full of action situations like when in WVW crush zergs into each other, without burning out so fast all of the PC’s RAM…, which is currently only something, that can get slowed down by reducing all of the visual settigns of the game to the lowest setting.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Tom Gore.4035

Optimising CPU/GPU usage more would be nice, but DX11 support will do squat and bring very little to the table but more compatibility issues and divided focus.

DX11 would bring performance gains (with prettier effects) and according to Steam over 50% of users have a DX11 capable setup.

Obviously they would need to spend a bit more time to maintain two client renderers.

Come to think of it, I don’t think they’ve done anything with the client renderer since the few months after launch, if we don’t count culling changes.

Maybe it would be time to hire some client programmers?

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

DX11 would bring performance gains (with prettier effects) and according to Steam over 50% of users have a DX11 capable setup.

That is never guaranteed. Personally for me in Lotro the performance was worse than with DX9, so i directly went back to DX9.

Also just some random examples here :
https://www.google.com/webhp?output=search&sclient=psy-ab#q=less+fps+since+dx11

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Mank.2183

Mank.2183

Obviously they would need to spend a bit more time to maintain two client renderers.

Come to think of it, I don’t think they’ve done anything with the client renderer since the few months after launch, if we don’t count culling changes.

Maybe it would be time to hire some client programmers?

Maybe, but it’s quite a lot of effort for minimal reward.

Assets have to be optimised for DX11 before it’s even noticeable, you would have to create displacement maps for everything you want to use it, not to mention the ridiculous poly-count for any practical purpose in games.

If they don’t fix their bottlenecks DX11 has no advantages whatsoever. DX11’s prettier effects can also come with worse performance and issues, just because it’s newer and better doesn’t mean it has to be done, or that it’s worth it.

Tom Gore.4035

If they don’t fix their bottlenecks DX11 has no advantages whatsoever. DX11’s prettier effects can also come with worse performance and issues, just because it’s newer and better doesn’t mean it has to be done, or that it’s worth it.

Which is why the first part of my post asked for client optimizations first. Currently my 3770k@4,2GHz is hitting 100% usage on 1-2 cores while 2 cores idle and my GTX780 is casually chilling around, with nothing to do 50% of the time.

One – Piken Square