Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dhemize.8649

Dhemize.8649

I don’t want to be “that” guy, but I am suspicious of how successful the OP seems to have been during a little over 2 hours of play.

They stated if you got something like a precursor to contact customer service…beyond that, not sure what else they will “help” with.

Oh rly!?

Dear Anet,
I lost five precursors. Please give. Unfortunately I have no evidence whatsoever so you’ll have to take my word for it. I believe they were the top five most expensive. Thanks!

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Ajaxx.3157

Ajaxx.3157

This rollback has cost a lot of players a lot of progress. So, take an moment to tell ANet what you lost to the rollback.

I lost over 600 gold worth of drops and sales on the TP, about 100 AP worth of progress on achievements, and nearly full stacks of platinum and hard wood that I harvested. I also lost 2 1/2 hours of gameplay and a full afternoon and evening of denied gameplay that I can NEVER get back. This had to happen on one of my very rare vacation days, turning what should have been a fun day into a severe disappointment.

Ajaxx – Warrior – [JuG] – Desolation [eu]

http://www.twitch.tv/irajaxx

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Sera.2146

Sera.2146

Daily Ranked PvP Participation and a new charr levelled up to 80 with tomes. Could have been a lot worse though, so its no big deal!

Time to click through all those level up rewards again, I miss the old faster style. ;~;

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

Well, I happened to log in late after the patch, so I only lost a mini garm and two bloodstone weapons, which I can easily repurchase.

For those people who did indeed get a lot of stuff done during these two hours or so, sorry to hear. For all the vultures who magically lost stacks of precursors, half a year of progress and whatever else on top of that, there is s special place in hell for you – right next to the skill-clickers.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Silvatar.5379

Silvatar.5379

I get that people are frustrated, but Anet handled the situation extremely well. Its the nature of the beast that things like this can and do happen. As others have mentioned, lots of other games actually shutdown on a regular basis for maintenance so we here at GW2 have definitely be spoiled with continuous access. As for asking for compensation, yeah, that’s a pretty self-centered response to the situation but how about this…Anet could give us more new content to play absolutely free….oh wait, they already do this routinely…sweet

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Sounds like I got “lucky”. I was working later than usual and then had other things to do once I got home so I didn’t get around to logging in until just after they shut the servers down.

So I didn’t actually lose anything. Obviously I couldn’t play at all yesterday, but that’s not unusual for me. I just played another game instead.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: cynderplayer.9503

cynderplayer.9503

i lost a whole teir in pvp :C

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

One rollback in 4 years of the game. Second long maintenance downtime in 4 years of the game. People cry havoc. That pretty much sums up how wonderful (relatively speaking) the situation has been so far in that regard.

Some people just got spoiled by Anet.

Seriously, other games have long scheduled and unscheduled maintenance downtimes, and rollbacks happen on more frequent basis, sometimes covering far longer than just a few hours. With no compensation whatsoever.
And anet is even trying to be nice here (see the comment about precursors).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Danikat.8537

I think they did a really good job under the circumstances.

This game has exceptionally good up-time. As other people have said most MMOs are taken offline for several hours every single time there’s a patch, and if they need to do an emergency fix after that they take it offline again.

Their players, including those who pay a subscription for access to the game, don’t get any compensation for that, it’s considered a normal part of playing an online game.

We experienced that once in 4 years. I think we could consider every other patch day when the game has remained online and we just had to re-log to pick up the new version our compensation.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Fenrir.3670

Fenrir.3670

Ascended chest from t3 daily fractals chest
Fractal’s expert achievement
Daily achievement + ep 1
Normal loot items
Some loot from gathering

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

The dust has barely settled, I think it’s a bit premature to go huffing and puffing about compensation. Let Anet sort out the important things… I don’t know, like making sure the servers are stable and there are no other side effects of the roll back.

It is a shame that everyone lost half a day in gameplay, but whatever criticism you have of Anet, their transparency is stellar (look at thier twitter feed) and if you were to crucify everyone who makes a mistake, well, we’d have a lot of crucifed people in the world.

Finally, try keep a sense of perspective. It’s just a game and whether or not you stay in GW2, you’ll get over it. If you ever want to know what a real mistake is, I suggest talking to a pilot, police officer, construction engineer or doctor.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I lost my common sense and became fat and bald.
Actually, that might have been a bit earlier now that I think about it but I’ll contact CS anyway. They could probably do with a laugh right no.

@OP, no way did you lose that much stuff in such a short time.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: SkullProX.7083

SkullProX.7083

I agree with OP. All I did was do a map for 1h after the patch, but I still feel bad about this response. I technically wasted 1 hours, and I want some compensation for it.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Griffin.5379

Griffin.5379

As one of the assuming hundreds of thousands of players who have something more important to do than play GW2 on a weekday and thus was not effected by that whole thing at all,
I must ask, would I get a compensation too?

How can ArenaNet even know who was affected and who wasn’t.

From all the players, I think it is a safe bet to assume than far less than half of them were affected by this at all, or just slightly.

Compensating ALL of them just because a view hundred players might have did something “big” like farm hundreds of resources or something, seems like it would cost more time and money than just forgetting that issue.

If it were actually a majority of the players being affected by that, I am sure there would be a compensation, but as it is there wont be one and there should not be one.

I think the only people who have even remotely the right to call for an compensation are those who earn money by streaming GW2 or something similar.
But for everybody else, no tear is shed, work, go outside, play something else, your world should not only consist of a Game.

PS:
It’s all data, you lost nothing, but time, and that is your fault.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Yseron.8613

Yseron.8613

Something tells me that if one day, 3 decades from now, we get access to their code in the abandon ware basket, we will discover what we already suspect.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

The entire time I’ve played GW and GW2 there has never been an issue like this. They have no experience in situations like this.

I’d say they handled it pretty kitten well with that in mind. Good job Anet!

I agree.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

Special joke titles is actually a genius and hilarious idea for everyone that survived this.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Danikat.8537

As one of the assuming hundreds of thousands of players who have something more important to do than play GW2 on a weekday and thus was not effected by that whole thing at all,
I must ask, would I get a compensation too?

How can ArenaNet even know who was affected and who wasn’t.

From all the players, I think it is a safe bet to assume than far less than half of them were affected by this at all, or just slightly.

Compensating ALL of them just because a view hundred players might have did something “big” like farm hundreds of resources or something, seems like it would cost more time and money than just forgetting that issue.

If it were actually a majority of the players being affected by that, I am sure there would be a compensation, but as it is there wont be one and there should not be one.

I think the only people who have even remotely the right to call for an compensation are those who earn money by streaming GW2 or something similar.
But for everybody else, no tear is shed, work, go outside, play something else, your world should not only consist of a Game.

PS:
It’s all data, you lost nothing, but time, and that is your fault.

It gets even more complicated when you factor in people like me who could have played during the time the game was offline…but might not have.

I actually did try to log in during the time the game was offline, but at the time my only intention was to harvest the daily nodes. So I lost one day’s worth of random materials.

I might have gone on to do the dailies, or run Silverwastes, or complete the final chapter of HoT, or I might have stood afk in a town talking to my guild, or logged off straight after and played something else.

Even I don’t know what I “lost” by being unable to play in that time so even I don’t know what would be fair compensation. Anet can’t possibly know. Maybe the compensation is the time I spent playing another game instead?

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

Just time, garbage loot from Claw of Jormag and the first part of the new Achievement.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Griffin.5379

Griffin.5379

I agree with OP. All I did was do a map for 1h after the patch, but I still feel bad about this response. I technically wasted 1 hours, and I want some compensation for it.

You played a game for one hour,
you did that to entertain yourself for 1h,
if you played for another reason, that is your problem.

And roll back or not, this one hour of entertainment can not be taken from you.

Saying you wasted one hour suggest that you did “work” in that time, farmed something, thus lost resources, something that was not enjoyable and that is tiring to do again.
if that is the case, why play it in the first place? that is not how games should work silly ^^

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: thedukesd.3829

thedukesd.3829

If it was only about soulbound items to the wrong character I don’t understand why they didn’t changed the state of those items to account bound + soulbound when used (like the exotics you drop from big chest after you finish a fractal). They could had make the unequip function soulbound the items (assuming they would had went for change all soulbound items to account bound + soulbound when used and not filter the items you already had on you).

I don’t see why items that were required for quests that are soulbound when you get them would had stop working (like the stuff you need to do the event in Airport in EotM). Anyway a drop down option to soulbound the item that was account bound + soulbound on use would had fixed it.

I’m sure someone will say “why you don’t work for them”. The answer is simple, I don’t live in a country where they hire. I’m immune to how badly a large % of gw2 community is acting, not the only game where “kids” think they can do and act in any way.

Atm I can’t even get ingame, I get a nice 1083:xxxx error no matter what toon I try to login.

So yes you can understand that assuming what they told us is 100% real and there is nothing else I’m dissapointed with the solution they picked because I believe the above solution was better.

Next time when they post updates about the situation they should avoid using morning, because morning in Europe and in USA are not in the same time and can cause confusion, like making an european understand he will be rollback to European morning not USA morning.

There were other solutions already presented in the initial post, like totaly removing soulbound and replacing it with account bound. Account bound can’t be sold on tp, can’t be used by other players, you can only move it to another toon and use it on another toon, but…

(edited by thedukesd.3829)

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Millenium.2034

Millenium.2034

Is this a joke?

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

I was kicking myself a bit as I hadn’t completed the last daily before we lost the servers. If only I’d got that in, I thought to myself.
Then with the rollback I probably haven’t done any of the dailies.. so now I feel better about not getting that last one in.

Spent the downtime playing Doom. Lots of fun.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

Nothing I can’t do again.
Such entitlement these days from some…
It’s an online game, if you don’t expect these things to happen every once in a while, then you’ve no one to blame but yourself for your own ignorance.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: SorArse.6493

SorArse.6493

I lost 1,000 Achievment Points 2 months ago and never got them back so unfortunately good luck getting anything back

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

General consens seems to be that arenanet dealt with this issue well enough, to which I have to agree. We’ve gotten spoiled with how well the game and servers have been running over the last 4 years.

2 things though since these things always come up and really bother me:

1.) players deserving compensation and comparisons to buying things from a non digital store

You own exactly 1 thing: your client side account and temporary access to arenanets servers. You own just about nothing else (physical disc, collectors items etc. not considered). You own exactly 0 of your characters, items, ingame currency etc.

I’m getting tired of people not knowing or forgetting this. Look it up in the terms of service. It’s standard MMO practice. Let me repeat that: You own NOTHING!

2.) just because it’s easy to write, does not mean it’s easy or fast to code

I’m sure there are hundreds of ways how arenanet could have handled this problem with players retaining items, time spent, experience, etc.

I’m also quite sure the effort to take any of these other paths would have been drastically longer, more expensive, more difficult, etc.

Rollbacks are usually a last solution option, or at least one that is quite far at the end of the line (mostly dictated by how far back the developers have to go to fix the problem). If arenanet deemed it appropriate to do a rollback, it must have been necessary, all factors considered.

Developers usually don’t rush out rollbacks on a “we feel like it basis” since the damage they can do is well known. Take that into consideration when giving hobby programmer advice.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: EKAN.4051

EKAN.4051

I lost 1,000 Achievment Points 2 months ago and never got them back so unfortunately good luck getting anything back

Err how did you lose 1000 achi?

“Death is just another path”

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: pelle ossa.9705

pelle ossa.9705

I don’t think the rollback is a big problematm , ok it’s bad , but i think the real problems are new bugs every single patch (now we have the mail carrier birthday with an animation bug…). it’s normal to add bugs sometimes with big patches like season patch , but even with little patch there is always , always some bugs (like bosses of the third some weeks ago). After 4 years is sad that the game is still problematic, it’s true that in 4 years the servers went down for something like 10-12 hour but it’s even true that everytime there is a new patch there are new bugs (or sometimes old bugs come back again)

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

onevstheworld.2419

If it was only about soulbound items to the wrong character I don’t understand why they didn’t changed the state of those items to account bound + soulbound when used (like the exotics you drop from big chest after you finish a fractal). They could had make the unequip function soulbound the items (assuming they would had went for change all soulbound items to account bound + soulbound when used and not filter the items you already had on you).

I don’t see why items that were required for quests that are soulbound when you get them would had stop working (like the stuff you need to do the event in Airport in EotM). Anyway a drop down option to soulbound the item that was account bound + soulbound on use would had fixed it.

Yes… making all the soul bound items account bound IS an option, but is it the BEST option?

Look at is this way… the item ownership system is a fundamental system in any game, especially MMOs. If you were to change any fundamental system would you not want to plan it out carefully, prototype it on a controlled server and QA the crap out of it? That’s a job that requires weeks, if not months, when you have a game as large as a MMO. Rush it, and you’re almost certainly cause worse bugs. Do it properly, and you’ll be lucky if you have any player-base remaining after your weeks of down-time.

It would be a lot more elegant to fix the problem without a server roll-back, but we can only trust Anet when they say it was the only option. After all, who knows the GW2 source code best? A forum warrior like you and me? Or Anet’s programmers who have been working on it for the last 4+ years?

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

I missed a day’s worth of dailies and a night’s worth of playing, but so what, I have other things I can do. Considering the nature of what they had to do, the turnaround was quite quick. They were up front about what went wrong and how they had to remedy the situation. Can’t really ask for more considering the unfortunate circumstances.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

onevstheworld.2419

Next time when they post updates about the situation they should avoid using morning, because morning in Europe and in USA are not in the same time and can cause confusion, like making an european understand he will be rollback to European morning not USA morning.

If we’re going to nit-pick… they also spell “color” instead of “colour”, and use the imperial system instead of metric. Shame on Anet.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

1 rollback and 2 server maintenance cycles in 4 years… other MMO’s have this amount of down time WEEKLY. Suck it up and stop complaining.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: vixon.4785

vixon.4785

in all honesty to the OP is over reacting . all i see or want from a company is honesty which they was they said there sorrys. asking for anything really weather it title or a bit of gold is a greedy way of putting things its like well they messed up i want some kinda hand out . they fixed the issue in the speed they could wow we lost several hours play time i kn0w for one i went well it was 11pm for me so i decided to take an early night and get sleep others could either play a diff game for a bit or go outside see the real world games for fun not important enough to whine about . no after my 2 cents who of you is up for some gw2 fun

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: mobile storage.1294

mobile storage.1294

Why not roll the game back to day one and see how many would not complain then.I had the opportunity to turn 500g to 1.5k -2k and due to the rollback and now missed that boat

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: onio.6403

onio.6403

This is outrageous, still not letting me into the game, and there is no compensation for all the hours I lost by an error produced by you. It is not surprising that there are people who migrate to other games.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Special joke titles is actually a genius and hilarious idea for everyone that survived this.

Yes, either that or something like a joke skin that says ‘I survived the 8/23/16 rollback and all I got was this lousy t-shirt’. Server downtimes happen. I have seen worse. I even have lost part of holidays because someone thought it would be fun to attack a server at my company.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Bellatrixa.3546

Bellatrixa.3546

Why not roll the game back to day one and see how many would not complain then.

That’s not even comparable given that any company that went 4 years without making a single database backup would be incompetent beyond all belief. In this case there was a backup made not only within 24 hours of the downtime, but 2 hours from what I’ve been hearing. Many more people would have logged in that 4 year period and created accounts than in the window of yesterday.

Some of you seem to be ignorant (willfully or otherwise) of how rarely this sort of thing happens to ANet and that their games have always had amazing uptime compared to others who need to take servers offline for updates/maintenance on a regular basis instead of a simple restart like we experience here.

I’m not white knighting here but this is one area that you really can’t attack ANet on. They made a mistake? They’re human, just like you. There was complete and utter transparency and the game was up again the same day. Sure it sucks that you lost play time, we all did. But unless you’ve never made a single mistake in your life, there’s really no legitimate position to attack them here. And if you’ve never made a single mistake in your life, you best be handing yourself into a museum as an example of complete and utter perfection.

“Even if we find a way to save the world from the
dragons, I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever find a way to save us from ourselves.”

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

That’s not even comparable given that any company that went 4 years without making a single database backup would be incompetent beyond all belief. In this case there was a backup made not only within 24 hours of the downtime, but 2 hours from what I’ve been hearing. Many more people would have logged in that 4 year period and created accounts than in the window of yesterday.

Some of you seem to be ignorant (willfully or otherwise) of how rarely this sort of thing happens to ANet and that their games have always had amazing uptime compared to others who need to take servers offline for updates/maintenance on a regular basis instead of a simple restart like we experience here.

I’m not white knighting here but this is one area that you really can’t attack ANet on. They made a mistake? They’re human, just like you. There was complete and utter transparency and the game was up again the same day. Sure it sucks that you lost play time, we all did. But unless you’ve never made a single mistake in your life, there’s really no legitimate position to attack them here. And if you’ve never made a single mistake in your life, you best be handing yourself into a museum as an example of complete and utter perfection.

Well same day for you americans but what about us europeans

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

i don’t get it, what is this about?
nvm: there was a rollback it seems.

(edited by zaced.7948)

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

all the hours I lost

Lost hours? If anything you’ve gained hours to do something else.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Same 24-hour period (day). The servers weren’t down any longer in EU than in NA. No difference how near or far from reset. No difference in how many hours of playtime lost or how many hours rolled back.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Yunielesca.2850

Yunielesca.2850

The bug was causing your gear and weapons to be bound to other characters from other players…that was not only a story of soulbind gear becoming account bound.

More over, this game has no maintenance while other mmos, some with subscription, have maintenances every week.
You can’t seriously demand a compensation for 10 hours of maintenance in 4 years.

Anet can be criticized on many subjects, but certainly not this one.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

The entire time I’ve played GW and GW2 there has never been an issue like this. They have no experience in situations like this.

^all of this.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Mel.8495

Mel.8495

It happened to a MMO before where the devs accidently deleted the whole database and noticed that they have no backups. Forgot the name of it though

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: IPhyton.2348

IPhyton.2348

Entitled QQ rant

#Millennials

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

^all of this.

Pretty much agree with this – S*** happens, you know.

What I will say though is, as long a go as the Southsun opening event in LS1 , players were asking why Anet doesn’t have a public test server where new builds can be tested in a live environment by real players and major issues like this identified and fixed before being put out.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Bellatrixa.3546

Bellatrixa.3546

I’m a Brit who was sitting up for the weekly 2am guild missions with my NA guild But yeah, Inc summed it up in a nutshell. I shared the EU pain/confusion on seeing ‘morning’ used in the announcements though lol.

It happened to a MMO before where the devs accidently deleted the whole database and noticed that they have no backups. Forgot the name of it though

… I’m staggered by that. No wonder you can’t remember the name of it lol

“Even if we find a way to save the world from the
dragons, I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever find a way to save us from ourselves.”

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Lyaise.4021

Lyaise.4021

i don’t get it, what is this about?

As far as I can tell the OP was pushing something, there’s a reference to steering in the middle of it all so probably on a path or something.
Anyway, this must have been uphill, as it sounds like they had a problem and it rolled back.

Then there’s the not asking for compensation but suggesting money as compensation bit. I presume whatever rolled back went over his/her foot or something as hurt is mentioned. Hopefully not too squashed.

Whatever the OP was pushing must have been pretty advanced technologically, as it seems to have warped a few hours into a staggering amount of lifetime, most of it in fact by the sheer angst portrayed.
Or maybe the hurt from the squashed foot made it seem longer.

Anyway that’s about it, hope that helps.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Katar.1753

Katar.1753

Considering their track record on reliability and content, I don’t have any fault against them. if they regularly had patch problems like wow or eveonline (which has patch problems every few months) then yes I could understand the idea of compensation for downtime, but this is a supreme rarity. ive seen eve go down for days and they hand out free 100k sp to assuage peoples anger at not being able to mine asteroids.. but this isn’t like that, I really don’t mind their response considering how rare an occourrence this is to them. Sure I wouldn’t mind free stuff, who wouldn’t, but I wont be screaming bloody murder for being denied play for a few hours. if this goes on for more than a day or so I might figure an apology, if more than 3 days I might expect a gift in response, but this isn’t all that bad. Of course I am of the mind that if your going to do something, do it right the first time, so regardless of how long it takes them to fix this, so long as they do it right, that’s fine with me.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Same 24-hour period (day). The servers weren’t down any longer in EU than in NA. No difference how near or far from reset. No difference in how many hours of playtime lost or how many hours rolled back.

The smiley face dident give it away?