Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Phh. Apparently an ascended drop wasn’t worth replacing. Thanks guys. I think I’ll take a long break from this game.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Phh. Apparently an ascended drop wasn’t worth replacing. Thanks guys. I think I’ll take a long break from this game.

Did you try contacting support?

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Galtrix.7369

Twice…. on two different subjects and I still haven’t received a response

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

RoseofGilead.8907

You only need to put in one ticket, even if you’re having more than one problem. Putting in multiples delays your response time. It can also take up to 72 hours (sometimes longer, and I’d imagine they’re pretty busy after yesterday) to get a reply. So, wait until the 72 hours have passed. If by then you still don’t have a response, you can post your ticket number to the thread linked below:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/GW2-Tickets-for-Review-3-days-older-2/page/22#post6299586

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

So,

Anet has a couple hundred employees.

A small fraction of those employees are support staff.

As likely as not thousands of tickets requesting restoration of items just hit them (in addition to the normal ticket volume).

Many of those tickets will be attempts to scam Anet into giving precursors, etc to players falsely claiming to have had one drop before the roll back.

Not surprised you havent heard back yet.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

Thankfully I was too buys earning money at the time in real life. Was not able to game, so lost nothing. I feel for the people who lost progress etc.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: hottotrot.5269

hottotrot.5269

No patience, it has even been barely a day since the servers came back and you are whining about not getting a reply.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

omg… do ya think that maybe they have a LOT of tickets and requests to deal with right now? Stand in line I’m sure…. be patient, or go away, your choice.

… just call me … Tim :)

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

hmm a 2 hour rollback.

i remember 10 years ago when i was playing maplestory and nexon frequently did rollbacks (sometimes days, sometimes minutes) with no kittens given for their players.

anet handled this really well. thanks gaile, mo, support, the team that noticed/fixed the bug, and whoever else was involved. you guys did awesome.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Ray Koopa.2354

Ray Koopa.2354

Well Nexon is a crap company anyway.
And Anet even gave us kittens recently.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: TheaEvanda.5038

TheaEvanda.5038

I am amazed at what some people here think they are owed. I am quite OK with the handling of the crisis, but I have a suggestion.

Due to Win10-Update-Issues I no longer run Win7 but run GuildWars2 on Xubuntu with PlayOnLinux (the Wine frontend). My hardware always had issues with GW2, freezing without provocation at least once a week during gameplay, but since I have a fast-booting system, I never bothered to start the expensive hardware-exchange-cycle needed to address the problem.

Just before the patch, I updated to a new wine version and tried some new command line arguments. When the soulbound-bug became obvious (why should my ranger have soulbound the staff that my elementalist has been carrying forever?) I first blamed it on the new wine. When shortly after the game disconnected me (for a change it did not freeze to death) and I got the “login server” error message, I seriously started taking apart my wine installation.

It was just hours later, after I had given up on finding the problem on my side, that I accidentally found the error notice on the game forums. I usually do not read here.

So I would suggest that a short and visible notice of a server-side error be included on the login screen. Just to make oblivious people like me see the problem is not their computer.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Ray Koopa.2354

Ray Koopa.2354

It has been discussed before too; people wish that when you are unable to login, it should display an “Servers are currently undergoing Maintenance [due to Xxxx]” in the login window.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Nash.2681

Nash.2681

Was obvious that something like this would happen, since I opened my daily chest of loyalty (the last one where you can choose between asc. stuff, leg. stuff, laurels, lvl up tomes), got 2 (!) deldrimor steel ingots out of it. Though I should have known that something was going terribly wrong that moment, I was so happy to finally not get a kittening spiritwood plank… but… re-opening the chest after the rollback…. ofc it was the usual 1 kittening spiritwood plank again. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

But what bugs me the most is, that apparently something broke on the WvW servers. Since after the rollback, I experience horrible skill-lag.
Had a short queue on green BL, finally managed to jump in, and oh boy, almost unplayable (which was totally fine before the rollback).
Worst situation was, when I attacked someone and my character and the whole screen, incl. sound, got freezed in the animation, like I was watching a short .gif with sound. Ofc I got slaughtered in the meantime (armor was broken after I finally got back in the game).
After a few minutes of waiting I had to manually close GW2. And since I couldn’t log in to any map afterwards anymore (maploadinfo showed 100%, sounds where played, but the loading screens persistet) I also had to restart my PC.
Managed to do my WvW dailies on the other BL which were far less crowded, but the performance was still horrible.
(and no, I wasn’t a “normal” lag issue, ping was constantly somewhere between 40 and 60).

XMG U716 (i7 6700, 16GB DDR4@2133Mhz, GTX980m, Samsung 850Evo 250 GB, Seagate SSHD 500GB)

Leader of “Servants of Balance” [SoB], a small guild endemic to the FSP.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: kiwiburner.2186

kiwiburner.2186

Can I have my 3 pips of PVP division progress back? I know it’s not a lot, but it was disheartening to log back in 24 hours later and have 0 pips in my tier rather than 3, where it was when I logged out 24 hours earlier…

“poopsock made it past the filters!” -stinkypants.8419

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: carrolltech.9215

carrolltech.9215

Maybe they should gift accounts with a unique title if they were rolled back.

Yeah hehe – “I Was Rolled Back”

Blessed Fao – Human Guardian
Faolain Ventari – Sylvari Elementalist
Faolain Kormir – Human Revenant

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: BearCat.3286

BearCat.3286

About titles. They will never do that, because they try to hide the fact that there was a rollback. Don’t believe me? Look at this then: https://www.guildwars2.com This page says ‘Nothing happaned, nothing at all.’

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Seth Moonshadow.2710

Seth Moonshadow.2710

How is Mass broadcast this hidden? Literally within 5m of getting the DC messages the post came out about what was happening. The main pages is about what is coming or new not Windows Happenings!

P.S. Thanks for the Tweets!!! Big help Rubi, Steve and the others thumbs up

| Dungeon Adventures | Blackgate | PvE | Lost Precipice | Gilded Hallow | Windswept Haven (soon)
http://www.dungeon-adventures.com

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

BearCat.3286

Are you blind? Looka at the main page of the official game website again. Twitter does not belong to ANet. FB does not belong to ANet. Social networks do not belong to ANet. The only website that belongs to them says ‘Nothing happaned’.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

That’s their main advertising page. The rollback does not, and would not, affect those that do not have accounts. For those that do have accounts, a notice went up immediately in News and Announcements part of the forum. Messages rarely are posted there, so when it lights up, you know it’s something that bears attention.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

BearCat.3286

So how does the “news” about random pictures somewhat related to the game affect those who don’t have accounts? I’m sorry to say that but you’re talking bullkitten. You know, at the same time of that incident something very similar happaned to Blade&Soul servers. Guess what? You can see the info about it on their main page. Guess why? This is what all normal developers and publishers do. Why do you think the ‘Buy HoT’ button is on the main page, not on twitter-shmitter? Well, it’s easy – the most of the people can see it there.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Showing off the game is a form of advertising. Pretty basic.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

BearCat.3286

Thank you, captain.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

About titles. They will never do that, because they try to hide the fact that there was a rollback. Don’t believe me? Look at this then: https://www.guildwars2.com This page says ‘Nothing happaned, nothing at all.’

hmmm.. I don’t see where it says: “Nothing happaned”… I don’t even see it saying that Nothing Happened….

But… if you check the Forums where all these things are talked about obviously you will find all the info.

Please stop trying to make an issue where none exists… :P

… just call me … Tim :)

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

You’re splitting hairs. This is essentially what I am saying, as the rollback was to fix corruption. Obviously they’d comment the code out/find and fix the bug. To do otherwise would be ridiculous. But I DO understand how software releases work. Having had rollbacks and reverts and emergency releases happen at my own job, I feel for the devs in this situation. It’s no fun to do these things. It’s stressful for everyone involved.

1. You mean like I paid for the game almost 4 years ago? And then HoT as well? Posts on the forum != time on the game, try again.
2. You’re not losing real money on this. I was at work when things went down, but was unable to play when I got home from work, too. The game was still down when I went to bed. I don’t correlate gold I earn in game with real losses. Does it suck? Sure, especially if you had something good drop, but you can submit a ticket for that. I lost out on dailies as well, whatever. Inconvenient, but not world-ending.
3. I paid for gems the other day myself. If you lost them, they’ll make sure you get them, as was clearly stated. You are not unique in this situation.

Again, the rollback was not fixing the situation it was simply reverting the game back to a previous state because the problem wasn’t fixeable.
1- I don’t understand your point.

2- If you pay for a service and the service isn’t delivered, there’s always a loss of income, regardless of how diluted it was in the Pay Once only policy. And even without loss of income, there’s a ton of other reasons to demand compensation for being wronged (which we were), you can even get arrested/fined/have to pay a severance for talking wrong to someone. they don’t lose money, but you get jail time and loss of income.

3- I didn’t say i’d lost the gems, that would be a terrible proposition on Arena Net’s side. Just saying that there’s a costumer satisfaction issue at hand here, something Arena Net, and a ton of not so enlightened fanboys seem to lose touch with. The game is played by people, if those people get mad at the game or its developers for whatever reason, those people stop playing, if you kitten enough people off, EVERYONE stops playing. That’s what’s at stake here. GW2 needs to keep its reputation, and its already soiled by a few dubious decisions in the past, there’s a LOT of people saying they lost faith in Anet for various reasons, more since HoT released. And this, doesn’t help the situation.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Inculpatus cedo.9234

And yet, in this very thread, players have stated that the way this was handled had restored faith.

So…maybe it did help the situation. =)

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Alaoglu.4637

Alaoglu.4637

Do something for spvp players please, your support really doesn’t care about us

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

I’d like to thank Anet for encouraging me to step away from the game for a day. I finally got around to watching “Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox”, and it was a kitten good movie.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Galtrix.7369

No patience, it has even been barely a day since the servers came back and you are whining about not getting a reply.

My my, aren’t you quick to judge. One of my emails was sent 6 days ago.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Alaoglu.4637

My my, aren’t you quick to judge. One of my emails was sent 6 days ago.

Anyway any mail about rollback to have stats back is we can’t do nothing for you, thank you bye !! I like this kind of game !!!

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: icy.9250

icy.9250

I’m not sure if related to rollback or the patch immediately after that, but there’s some sort of lag problem….
We were Raiding last night about 9:20pm-11:20pm EST , and a couple times a bunch of squad members lagged for up to 5 sec during fights. When it happened to me, I’d see people not moving and then suddenly speed up, etc some seconds later. When I remarked “lag!” on teamspeak, a few others agreed as it was happening.
Could there still be server load balancing issues going on?

icy`

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: gloflop.3510

gloflop.3510

snip

My critique is mainly that I got the impression Arena.net was not well enough prepared for this situation. Thats also why they celebrate how great the situation was handled. Maybe it was handled well by the individual (I wasnt there). However, as a group there must be a clear guideline what to do. The steps e.g. programming must be ready before the patch goes live. That was missing.

When it comes to the communication, there should be a clear order of where and how it will be communicated. E.g. giving information on twitter and reddit is a waste of time. There should be 1 main communication plattform and the rest only refers to this plattform. The devs have other things to do then communicating. However, the players should be updated constantly especially about the expected down-time.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Kurowolfe.7396

Kurowolfe.7396

Don’t think I lost anything in the rollback, but then again I only grind for stuffs lately, so no biggie.

At least it didn’t cause a complete halt of the game in general, and for a first time in 4 years, that’s quite impressive. Also, at least the dev team is on their toes about the status of the game. Always loved stumbling across Gaile and some other devs in-game while doing guild races or just map roaming.

Though, I agree with what some has to say, just make an official announcement somewhere stating what happened, when, and what has been done to rectify the situation (preferably the client announcement screen). I only knew about this from mapchat when logging back in, and while I was surprised, I was also like “well, it’s an MMO problem, it happens”.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Willowfalls.9814

Willowfalls.9814

Personally, I was extremely impressed with Mike’s straight-forward, honest, and timely communications. He said it like it was, and didn’t waste time doing so. That in itself improved my faith in the company. Granted, it was an unfortunate situation, but I think they handled it extremely well.

A token compensation would only be met with complaints that it wasn’t the right thing for everyone, or wasn’t enough. What are they going to do? They’ve got an excellent track record in terms of service up-time, so this is bound to happen eventually.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Costs me 200 hard wood log, option to finish daily ap and get 2 gold (needed only one more), the progress that the wood gave me to make The Device (Astrlaria I) was nulified (had to craft again), options to do fractals that day (aprox 15-20 gold gain) was gone (server to long down)

So aprox 25g lost.

The way the rollback was executed i think was the best (lesser of multiple evils), but giving everyone 2g (much less then most ppl would have gotten in those two hours), what’s the problem with that? It would be symbolic, replace daily reward 2g, give players a small sense of satisfaction that that day was not wasted.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Alaoglu.4637

For people who consider they lost a lot and guild wars 2 support doing nothing for them i guess you should contact a Consumer organization

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Are you blind? Looka at the main page of the official game website again. Twitter does not belong to ANet. FB does not belong to ANet. Social networks do not belong to ANet. The only website that belongs to them says ‘Nothing happaned’.

My guess is they used Twitter and Facebook to give us updates because the information would appear there faster.

My company’s website has 2 kinds of pages (visually they’re the same the difference is all in the back-end). “Regular” and “Quick updates”, which is used for news, upcoming events, announcements etc. The regular pages can only be updated during the overnight refresh. If I make a change to one of them at 8:30am it won’t show up until about 2am the next day. The “quick updates” pages are much faster – the change will appear about 2 hours after you click the button to upload it. There is no way to change this system.

Therefore if we want to announce something which needs to be visible in under 2 hours guess where we put it? Facebook and Twitter. Because those websites are built to be updated instantly.

(There is talk of changing some parts of our website to work that way. It was being planned when I joined a year ago, it’s still in the planning stages now.)

Looking at the kind of announcements that Anet put in their news section it wouldn’t surprise me if their website works exactly the same way – it’s all stuff that would have been known in advance so they could plan for the update to appear at the correct time.

So when they needed to let us know something immediately, not a few hours after it happened, they used the section of the website which supports instant updates and where many of their customers come for news – the forum. They then replicated that message on other instant-update sites for people who may not come here.

It may not be the approach that you personally would prefer but it’s the one that works best with the technology they have available to them.

For people who consider they lost a lot and guild wars 2 support doing nothing for them i guess you should contact a Consumer organization

I’m not sure that would work. This might sound weird but legally you don’t own anything in the game – the gold, items, even your characters are Arenanet’s intellectual property. All you get when you buy the game is access to a service – the game and the things in it (and the opportunity to purchase access to additional services in the form of buying gems).

So from an legal perspective no one lost anything – you still have access to the service. (And one of the points on the User Agreement states that access may not be possible at all times so the down time is covered too.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Neurion.4086

Neurion.4086

Suuure. We might appeal to Supreme Court as well.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Alaoglu.4637

I’m not sure that would work. This might sound weird but legally you don’t own anything in the game – the gold, items, even your characters are Arenanet’s intellectual property. All you get when you buy the game is access to a service – the game and the things in it (and the opportunity to purchase access to additional services in the form of buying gems).

So from an legal perspective no one lost anything – you still have access to the service. (And one of the points on the User Agreement states that access may not be possible at all times so the down time is covered too.)

Actually i m just asking “UFC Que Choisir” what can people do about this nothing else ^^

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

Suuure. We might appeal to Supreme Court as well.

ECHR :P

Anyway, got my lost ascended weapons chest back from support. Seems they handle the stuff reasonably.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

My guess is they used Twitter and Facebook to give us updates because the information would appear there faster.

- snip -

I’m not sure that was the reason. A dev post on the forums would show up, I assume, as quickly as when I post. I’ve no idea as to the game’s website.

More likely, the reason is that with the game down, the forums would be flooded with players looking for info. FB and Twitter are built for that kind of traffic. This board was timing out rather than loading, probably due to said traffic. When my roommate couldn’t play, he went to the forum. No joy, so he went to FB. Info.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Alaoglu.4637

Anyway, got my lost ascended weapons chest back from support. Seems they handle the stuff reasonably.

wtf is this ? support just telling me they can’t do nothing and asked me to post here to solve my problem lol

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

RoseofGilead.8907

wtf is this ? support just telling me they can’t do nothing and asked me to post here to solve my problem lol

Replacing an item is different from re-granting pvp progress. If you’re unsatisfied with the answer support gave you, follow up with it via your email with support.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Alaoglu.4637

i e mailed them a lot they just told me they can do nothing what should i say ?

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

RoseofGilead.8907

i e mailed them a lot they just told me they can do nothing what should i say ?

If there’s nothing they can do, then that’s it. You won’t get your progress back. But complaining on the forums won’t do any good, either.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Alaoglu.4637

But they told me to post here for the dev because the support is not allowed to do this …

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Iant Aman.4390

Iant Aman.4390

Admittedly, I had been mostly confused by both the sudden server downtime and the massive rollback the next day. A couple of achievements lost, maybe some gold – I don’t keep exact track; it was mostly confusing (I realized mainly because I suddenly didn’t have the Bloodstone Fen Leyline Gliding anymore…)
As I wanted to know what had happened, I went to the forum (not this thread, but ‘News and Announcements’, Game Changes… where I would expect to find such information) – nothing (yeah for the really sucky forum search – I put in ‘rollback’, you’d expect something might turn up even if you haven’t posted in the thread).
I found this thread accidentally via Dulfy (thx Dulfy, I’d be 100x more lost without you).
So mainly I’d like to suggest: Find a way to pass infos to the player base that actually works, e.g.:
a) In-game message that you are going to shut off the servers (I doubt that someone just pulled the plug in a panic reaction to the bug)
b) Ideally, in-game message (beforehand) that you might lose some game progress (you did know at some point that you’d have to do a rollback, right?)
c) Info message in the login-news (sure, the info on new items in gem store is interesting, too)
d) find ways to either fix the forum search or have ONE central forum/thread (postings only by staff + no commenting allowed) for game info (like downtimes; login issues; game changes)

Yes, I know, I’m dreaming

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: AzureWolf.9150

AzureWolf.9150

MMORPGs run on big active servers, and I’ve played in enough of them over the years to know that something bad requiring a rollback is inevitable, and I’ve seen them in many games. But what I’ve never seen before was the amazing way ANet kept us in the loop. Not just here on the Forums, but in Facebook as well, they kept us out of the dark and gave us regular updates. Most other games would have happily stayed silent until the problem was fixed, and then dealt with all the questions. So kudos to ANet for keeping a bad situation from getting worse by keeping us in the know.

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Tsumiju.3071

Tsumiju.3071

As a question, I’ve had a support response stating that logs for items obtained during the time between the patch launch and the rollback are not available, thus the Black Lion contract I got from a chest cannot be retrieved.

If log’s aren’t available, how are anyone’s items being restored? I would have hoped that the database would be backed up prior to rollback for analysis?

Input on 8/23 Roll-back

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

I think I lost my 28th daily reward chest.