Inspecting players

Inspecting players

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t know. I would think the Raiders that would be interested in inspections wouldn’t be PuGging, anyway, and wouldn’t really need a gear inspect feature.

But, maybe they will PuG….just seems like opposite ends of the spectrum. /shrug

I would expect hard core raid teams to insist on ascended and use some sort of check to make sure people have both ascended and stats wanted. I’ve never raided myself but from reading other forums, they don’t sound like the sort of person to take just anyone into a raid team. You have to prove you’ve got the minimum required gear or they won’t let you join.

Again, I would think the Raiders have a pool of players to choose from already: Guildies, dungeon-allies, etc.

But, maybe not. Maybe they choose their raid-teammates from the LFG or such.

Inspecting players

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

i believe that if we see someones items it will persuade us into getting better gear

Or, you could just ask them. Like people do with my sword and hammer.

because its not about judging, its about improving, if someone is not up to par, you can help them reach it

Who decides whether they’re up to par? Also, help them “reach it” what if they’re satisfy where they are? I feel we already have a system for this. People ping or link their gear when they want, they don’t need to be spied (inspected) on. Players should have some form of privacy between each other. If you really want to inspect someone’s gear go to custom browser. You can view everyone’s build, stats, and gear at anytime.

Inspecting players

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Mentors of the Meek[MEEK] will take you and bring you into any content no matter what it is and no matter what gear or build or level you have (within reason). We will not condone the use of such sites or unfair treatment of our members.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Inspecting players

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I don’t know. I would think the Raiders that would be interested in inspections wouldn’t be PuGging, anyway, and wouldn’t really need a gear inspect feature.

But, maybe they will PuG….just seems like opposite ends of the spectrum. /shrug

I would expect hard core raid teams to insist on ascended and use some sort of check to make sure people have both ascended and stats wanted. I’ve never raided myself but from reading other forums, they don’t sound like the sort of person to take just anyone into a raid team. You have to prove you’ve got the minimum required gear or they won’t let you join.

Again, I would think the Raiders have a pool of players to choose from already: Guildies, dungeon-allies, etc.

But, maybe not. Maybe they choose their raid-teammates from the LFG or such.

If they are anything like some of the hard core raiders who have already posted on these forums they will have a pool of people they play with but they will also demand ascended and a way to check the stats and build.

From a thread on the forum about raids
It requires players to have a full understanding of their build, their party member’s build, and be able to coordinate all together to achieve the goal of beating the Raid. It also requires you to invest time and money into your equipment, thus helping you be more prepared for enemy encounters. Players who cannot adapt will be left out

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Inspecting players

Posted by: Telemin.7380

Telemin.7380

I deleted my API key off GW2 Efficiency.

I am glad I have at least nine other friends in game to play raids with. Never having to submit to gear checks or the PUG meta mentality.

Teh Ouchies

Inspecting players

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

i just want to look at players gear so that i know how much i could be improving

You don’t need to look at their gear for that. It’s simple, there are common, fine, masterwork, rare, exotic, and ascended/legendary in ascending order of power.

There are different stat/rune sets, but they all have tradeoffs, so you shouldn’t just look at what someone else has and blindly copy them.

So, how much you can improve your /gear/ is the difference between whatever tier you have and ascended, how much you can improve overall isn’t something you can tell by looking at gear.

Inspecting players

Posted by: arkealia.2713

arkealia.2713

Could work to see which skin/dye the others are using. As long as it doesn’t show stats or rarity it should be fine.

Inspecting players

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

So, i think it would be a Great idea for Guild Wars 2 to have a player Inspection option so you can look at your friends/guild/random players, whomevers gear, and maybe a little side note if they have it Transmuted so we could know what they have their item looking like
but mainly id just like to be able to see peoples gear, for the soul purpose that we could know how much better someones gear is so that we might be able to ask them where they got it or how they got it
i believe that if we see someones items it will persuade us into getting better gear

Or, you could just ask them. Like people do with my sword and hammer. And I till them. HoM rewards. You need to go play GW1 to get them. But hay, why ask when we can just silently judge them, and abuse it to kick anyone from a group because they are missing something that you feel they must have.

because its not about judging, its about improving, if someone is not up to par, you can help them reach it, to me this game is not about being the best its making sure everyone is equally as good, you’re as strong as your weakest link you want to make sure everyone is going to be prepared for what lies ahead

For you maybe. But not everyone is as noble. And sure we can make suggestions as to how they could improve, but ultimately what right do any of us have to tell people what gear they should or should not be using.

there’s no right in someone saying GET THIS GEAR
but if someone appreciates that specific item or wants it solely for the Transmute they could ask where you got that item. and most people shouldnt go around telling others what items to get, people should normally ask you hey man what do i need to do for that item, but how are they suppose to know what item it is if the person is just rude or AFK?
you want to know what item it is, go look, the speech is optional you don’t have to tell someone that their item sucks or is a blessing from the gods. thats all on the player.
and if you know what item it is you could even go online and look where it drops and not even have to talk to the other person

That’s what it will be used for, end of story.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Inspecting players

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

pretty sure devs don’t want the game to become like WoW where if you’re not in the specific set of gear party owner wants you to be in you get kicked.

No, they have that gw2efficiency now to take the place of inspecting for the hard core raiders.

lucky for me I wear unstatted armor that I can pick any stat of so that it looks blank then, eh?

Idk. The Efficiency will tell them whether or not you have ascended armor and iirc, what your char is wearing, which is what raiders will want to know.

And if that gets prevalent, that part of the API may be shut off to discourage toxic behavior. Hopefully it doesn’t get abused like that, eh?

As long as it stays with raiders it will probably be considered appropriate since ANet said that ascended was recommended for that content. I’m not sure who else besides high level fractals can enforce a request or be kicked from group, since it requires the person giving a code to access their account information.

A team/party leader can enforce whatever rules they really want for their team though…

If I only wanted ranger bear bows in all ascended in my party for wvw then that’s my right. In turn, someones can refuse to be on my team for whatever reason.

It would be kind of hard to keep people from following you around in open content, but you can always attempt to get the API codes from everyone who wants to join your group in WvW, inspect them and get going in a timely fashion, and also keep anyone else from joining you as you go along, if that’s what you want.

Map chat about such attempt should be pretty entertaining though.

Of course people would follow the awesomenes of a group of elite bear bows! Players would be like Thespians following Leonidis and his brave 300 into battle! Or like panhandlers following the Kardashians down a NYC street!

Yes, either way it would be both entertaining and epic!

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Inspecting players

Posted by: Setay.2135

Setay.2135

I am all for an inspect option that shows what skins and dye colors someone is using. Good idea OP. However if you mean stats that no one’s business.

Inspecting players

Posted by: ODB.6891

ODB.6891

Just no.

Anyone who has played an MMO where this option was available will know just how much discrimination, griefing, and animosity this inevitably creates. Its negative impact on a gaming community far surpasses any associated benefits. And as others have already said, if you want to know what a person has…just ask! Problem solved.

I played a lot of MMOs and only “discrimination” I saw was against leechers and kittenes who think they can waste everyone’s time by PHIWing in the group content without warning anyone.

Truth they don’t want to hear lol. They would rather flame the OP instead. Players in this game have gotten used to not being exposed for taking advantage of group mates and are extremely aggressive towards anything that threatens their ability to continue to do so. Inspect, logs, and meters are that direct threat to exposure.

Inspecting players

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

Gear inspection is like nuclear power, is potential for good is only exceeded by its potential for ill use.

Inspecting players

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Gear inspection is like nuclear power, is potential for good is only exceeded by its potential for ill use.

+1 to this.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Inspecting players

Posted by: CadeRG.4508

CadeRG.4508

Would be a horrible idea. As others have said, it would simply cause a lot of BM.
Also why make this thread a Q & A if the OP isn’t a question? ;/

Vaulting daredevil leap frog teef of AoE destruction

Inspecting players

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

That’s it!

btw, an aesthetic inspect should be nice ( no stats, no gear quality, etc ).

Inspecting players

Posted by: Alukah.2063

Alukah.2063

HOLD YOUR PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES FOR A SECOND

Before I start, yes, I have done my homework and have searched for this topic before I made it, this is not about inspecting people’s stats, please do not discuss that aspect in this thread.

For a game that is all about collecting skins instead of the typical power grind, it still surprises me this game has no easy way for others to get a close look on your gear (skins), specially since this kind of game is usually played all the way zoomed out, so people only get a small glimpse of your gear, it would be great if they added an “inspect” option that only showed the same thing we see in our hero panel (an animated preview of the character) and perhaps (or not) the name of the skins being currently worn.

I’m well aware this community is obsessed with being different for the sake of being different, to the point of rejecting any new additions, but I think this would be a pretty good and harmless addition considering the focus on skins and looks.

In the threads I’ve read people were generally against it because it would only make the existent elitism even worse, but I reiterate, this is NOT about stats, just about previewing the skins being used with your gear.

Inspecting players

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

And again why is it so hard for people to whisper and ask what shoulder or chest or helm or weapon someone is wearing?

Inspecting players

Posted by: BIGHARSHNESS.3510

BIGHARSHNESS.3510

And again why is it so hard for people to whisper and ask what shoulder or chest or helm or weapon someone is wearing?

This. I enjoy getting these whispers personally. I’ve whispered others as well and I’ve always got replies no problem linking the skin.

Inspecting players

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

I got a whisper today for my armor

Inspecting players

Inculpatus cedo.9234

When I want to see someone’s skins, I just stand behind them, and then bring the camera up close. /shrug

Inspecting players

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

how about you just check your wardrobe for skins you want.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Inspecting players

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

And if it doesn’t work, you may still ask

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Inspecting players

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Because the majority of the time people won’t answer??
We ask for aesthetic inspect because we see a skin we really like, we ask the person, they ignore us, the leave, we still don’t know what the skin was.
I agree you should ask, as I know being asked for many tells them their efforts to look good are being appreciated, but so many just ignore us

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Inspecting players

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

As others have already stated, you can preview ALL the game’s skins in the account wardrobe, even the ones you haven’t unlocked yet. If I remember correctly it’s in the PvP section of the game. The game already has a solution for what you want to accomplish, you just need to use it.

Here’s a flammable shield to cover yourself with if you need it.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Inspecting players

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

Some gem store skins aren’t in the account wardrobe until you actually unlock the skin itself.

As people have been saying, it’s possible to whisper people about what they’re wearing! And it’s easier than other games where there isn’t a function to link gear in chat. But I understand the want for something like this. I don’t think it would be a bad thing (unlike gear inspect). It would be something that could be in the right click drop down menu on a character portrait of someone you’ve selected. It could just dump the chat codes into a game message.

Personally I know it’s nice when people reach out to ask but honestly I can’t see any harm in a feature like this.

Inspecting players

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

No, you cannot preview ALL skins in the wardrobe, some only have slots if you already have the item. (ie. Bunny Ears, etc)
There are not a lot of them, but it is possible to go through the entire wardrobe section and not be able to find it.
Then there’s what item type is it in the first place?
If you aren’t totally sure which item type is is how can you be sure you’re even going through the right section?
and then you have racial differences.
I saw an awesome piece of shoulder armor.
Went through the entire wardrobe, nothing. None of the pieces I thought it were had the right look, turns out it doesn’t exist for my race, that part I’d noticed is simply gone.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Inspecting players

Alukah.2063

This is mainly about being able to SEE them, hence why I left the skin names as secondary.

When I want to see someone’s skins, I just stand behind them, and then bring the camera up close. /shrug

Or we could have a dedicated window for that. Would having a dedicated window you can ignore if you don’t like it ruin your gaming experience?

As others have already stated, you can preview ALL the game’s skins in the account wardrobe, even the ones you haven’t unlocked yet. If I remember correctly it’s in the PvP section of the game. The game already has a solution for what you want to accomplish, you just need to use it.

This is about previewing the current skins being worn by someone, not preview every single skin available in the game.

I don’t get why you guys act like an easier way to see someone’s look would break your game.

Inspecting players

Posted by: Freyah.8912

Freyah.8912

Because the majority of the time people won’t answer??

This!

I’ve asked many times about a certain piece of armor and not gotten any answer back.
I don’t think this is impoliteness but rather being afk but the question still remains unresolved.

Inspecting players

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’m not in favor of development time spent on convenience features which enable players to be less social in MMO’s.

Inspecting players

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Because people can afk.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Inspecting players

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

Both sides have merit.

Would really depend on how easy it’d be for them to implement.

Inspecting players

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

This is mainly about being able to SEE them, hence why I left the skin names as secondary.

Or we could have a dedicated window for that. Would having a dedicated window you can ignore if you don’t like it ruin your gaming experience?

This is about previewing the current skins being worn by someone, not preview every single skin available in the game.

I don’t get why you guys act like an easier way to see someone’s look would break your game.

I think the biggest reason against it, is, it is gonna turn out to be a gateway to a full on inspect of stats. People really dont want that, and anything similar or making that easier to come about, is gonna be met with resistance. Think of it like the democrat party does… if they cant get a big change pushed thru to law, they start really small, making slight changes, until after 4 years, you now have the original bill pushed thru, just in a round about way, and with no one realizing it happened!

Inspecting players

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Is it just me, or does it bother anybody else that the whole intent of this suggestion is, basically, to copy outfits?

Like, what’s the point otherwise? If it only tells you the name of the skins, you’d still have to google or talk to someone to see how to obtain them, so I can’t see a use for this aside from becoming clones of one another. The wardrobe already does that expect in cases of skins that you can’t acquire anyway

I just don’t understand the desire to do that I suppose.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Inspecting players

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

This. I enjoy getting these whispers personally. I’ve whispered others as well and I’ve always got replies no problem linking the skin.

The answer is that it’s unreliable. Sometimes people will respond, sometimes they won’t. If you could inspect them it wouldn’t matter if they respond because you have the answer at your fingertips.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Inspecting players

Alukah.2063

I’m not in favor of development time spent on convenience features which enable players to be less social in MMO’s.

Because linking things in chat and never talking again is the epitome of socialization… never mind the frequent cases when you don’t even get a reply at all.

Is it just me, or does it bother anybody else that the whole intent of this suggestion is, basically, to copy outfits?

Like, what’s the point otherwise? If it only tells you the name of the skins, you’d still have to google or talk to someone to see how to obtain them, so I can’t see a use for this aside from becoming clones of one another. The wardrobe already does that expect in cases of skins that you can’t acquire anyway

I just don’t understand the desire to do that I suppose.

Strawman.

You didn’t even read the whole post, the main feature is a proper way to be able to see the person other than playing with zoom and hoping they don’t move too much, dc or wp away, besides if as you say there’s already a wardrobe, why are you so scared someone might use your look as inspiration to make their own? Aren’t they already able to do that?

In a game that is all about skins and showing off what you got, I just don’t understand the desire to remain as hidden as possible

I think the biggest reason against it, is, it is gonna turn out to be a gateway to a full on inspect of stats. People really dont want that, and anything similar or making that easier to come about, is gonna be met with resistance. Think of it like the democrat party does… if they cant get a big change pushed thru to law, they start really small, making slight changes, until after 4 years, you now have the original bill pushed thru, just in a round about way, and with no one realizing it happened!

I know, and that’s why I asked in the original post, and asking you again to keep it off the thread, I don’t want it to be derailed with that argument, this proposed feature would only show the target character and perhaps their skins.

After the wardrobe was implemented every item got their own skin code, so I’m sure this could be easily implemented without having to deal with stats.

Inspecting players

Posted by: Cerbeius.7129

Cerbeius.7129

AFK ftw ^^

Lady Cerba, Ascalonian Priestess of Grenth

- Piken Square, [REN][DKAL]

Inspecting players

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I didn’t state it would ‘break my game’. I didn’t comment on whether I liked nor disliked the idea. All I offered was what I do if I want to see someone’s skins.

It is always best not to project your own interpretation onto other’s experiences, I feel.

Good luck.

Inspecting players

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

Why were these two topics merged, one is about gear quality inspection and one is about gear appearance inspection. The appearance inspection OP even notes that their goal is NOT to talk about gear quality inspection.

???