Instant Trait Reset Item!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Why is it a shame it’s a gem store item? It’s something that people will pay for it they want it but it’s not needed.

That being said, I won’t be buying it because it’s not infinite use.

Because it’s a money grab pure and simple. People have asked for this feature since release.

GW1 had the exact same issue and they changed it so we could respec in any outpost for free.

It’s a pretty kitten move.

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

can someone teach me how to play GW1?

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: Kosmo.5187

Kosmo.5187

This is one of those odd items I’m never going to buy. It seems way too bizarre to me that people are willing to pay more than 3 gold for the “convenience” of being able to reset their traits anywhere. Seriously, even with waypoint and time cost included, it takes all of two minutes and a few measly silver to reset your traits now – color me surprised that some people find the cost of this item justified to save such little time. I can’t really think of any area in the game where you’re not better off economically just porting back to town. You could redo some dungeons entirely and still come out on top financially. Who finds themselves in such a pickle, with a sudden outrageous need to hemorrhage currency so they can change their traits right now? It’s just really weird to me.

On a side note, I was under the impression that trait templates were not only on the table but pretty much a given for a future update. If that’s true, I’m even more perplexed that anyone feels the need for an item like this. But hey, to each their own.

It’s no more odd than $10 single use outfits. I’m going to follow up on that some time.

Think of the possibilities.

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

This is one of those odd items I’m never going to buy. It seems way too bizarre to me that people are willing to pay more than 3 gold for the “convenience” of being able to reset their traits anywhere. Seriously, even with waypoint and time cost included, it takes all of two minutes and a few measly silver to reset your traits now – color me surprised that some people find the cost of this item justified to save such little time. I can’t really think of any area in the game where you’re not better off economically just porting back to town. You could redo some dungeons entirely and still come out on top financially. Who finds themselves in such a pickle, with a sudden outrageous need to hemorrhage currency so they can change their traits right now? It’s just really weird to me.

On a side note, I was under the impression that trait templates were not only on the table but pretty much a given for a future update. If that’s true, I’m even more perplexed that anyone feels the need for an item like this. But hey, to each their own.

It’s no more odd than $10 single use outfits. I’m going to follow up on that some time.

Gold is worthless. You are asking why would someone not hoard something worthless.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

As paying customers we don’t like paying but this is just a convenience item. You can play without it and if it you think your money is best spent on this item then you have the option to spend it.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Why would anyone ever buy this?

Posted by: Exosferatu.2961

Exosferatu.2961

I suggested Instant Trait Reset. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Trait-Reset-Express-and-Skill-Points

Thank you, Arena Net!

EDIT: This item is useful especially in high level Fractals of the Mists and dungeons, sometimes the party lacks damage so I’d reset my traits and switch gears. You can’t leave the party if you’re the party leader, the dungeon will reset.

(edited by Exosferatu.2961)

Posted by: Treborlavok.3504

Treborlavok.3504

I think they’re screwed up in not making this an infinite use item. If that was the case I would buy one in a heart beat, as long as it was account bound and had infinite uses.

Sylvari Engi- Wait! Don’t leaf!
Asura Ele- Sir Im afraid youre short. Why is it always short jokes. No, youre short on the bill.

Posted by: ArmoredVehicle.2849

ArmoredVehicle.2849

The hassle here that most people don’t take into consideration is the loading times between areas just to do something so small such as this.

I guess people that have never played GW1 (or didn’t play it much) will never understand why the controversy of this item.

ANet is not a charity organization and people should get that straight but for goodness sake this is a feature I would have never expected them to charge for.

It’s not Nuka that’s exaggerating here but ANet, for going so low on such a thing, even more that was present for free on GW1, they should be ashamed for charging on something like this.

AntiGw.9367

The hassle here that most people don’t take into consideration is the loading times between areas just to do something so small such as this.

Then don’t do something small such as this. Plan your builds to be versatile, and don’t expect that a free respec in the middle of nowhere is going to cover your mistakes and faulty builds.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

I guess people that have never played GW1 (or didn’t play it much) will never understand why the controversy of this item.

ANet is not a charity organization and people should get that straight but for goodness sake this is a feature I would have never expected them to charge for.

It’s not Nuka that’s exaggerating here but ANet, for going so low on such a thing, even more that was present for free on GW1, they should be ashamed for charging on something like this.

You couldn’t respec in the middle of nowhere in Guild Wars 1. But just like in Guild Wars 1 you can go to a city and respec there. This new item is no where near the same as charging for something that Guild Wars 1 had, because Guild Wars 1 didn’t have respec anywhere you wanted.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

its a pure shame… they made it for a consumable item and in gw1 it was a basic…

Untrue…in Guild Wars 1 you could ONLY retrait in a town or outpost. Not anywhere in the open world.

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

Because it’s a money grab pure and simple. People have asked for this feature since release.

GW1 had the exact same issue and they changed it so we could respec in any outpost for free.

I’m pretty sure GW2 had this feature in late alpha (just before closed beta) or the earliest closed beta stages. I remember the community reaction to the announcement that trait resets would require traveling back to certain cities, and would not be free. Thankfully, at least the NPC fee turned out to be negligible. But the devs went to some length explaining why not allowing trait resets on the fly was important, and that allowing it would detract from gameplay.

Not that completely I agree with their reasoning, but it appears that their desire to monetize is more important than sticking to their idea of what they thought was a good design decision.

“We told you this was a bad idea, and gave some valid reasons why shouldn’t have it…but we decided to overlook that, if you’re willing to pay us”

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

eisberg.2379

I’m pretty sure GW2 had this feature in late alpha (just before closed beta) or the earliest closed beta stages. I remember the community reaction to the announcement that trait resets would require traveling back to certain cities, and would not be free. Thankfully, at least the NPC fee turned out to be negligible. But the devs went to some length explaining why not allowing trait resets on the fly was important, and that allowing it would detract from gameplay.

Not that completely I agree with their reasoning, but it appears that their desire to monetize is more important than sticking to their idea of what they thought was a good design decision.

“We told you this was a bad idea, and gave some valid reasons why shouldn’t have it…but we decided to overlook that, if you’re willing to pay us”

Considering the high price they put on it, tells me they still feel the same way. Hardly anybody is going to respec on the fly all willy nilly with that high price. We are talking 3-4 gold or 88 cents for 1 time. It is going to come to down to deciding if a respec is really needed and worth the 88 cents or the 3-4 gold.

ArmoredVehicle.2849

You couldn’t respec in the middle of nowhere in Guild Wars 1. But just like in Guild Wars 1 you can go to a city and respec there. This new item is no where near the same as charging for something that Guild Wars 1 had, because Guild Wars 1 didn’t have respec anywhere you wanted.

Your point is invalid, first of all GW1 was all instanced, secondly GW1 wasn’t designed with skill change in mind, can you imagine what PVE would have been with dual classes, skill and attributes swap? A total recipe for disaster. It was built from the ground up to allow 8 skills at a time.

On the other hand GW2 was designed with skill change since the beginning and if you require trait changes during an instance all one has to do is > go to LA from the Mists and back to the instance area, meaning he has to load 4 times. That is all this item does, eliminate loading times.

In GW1 you can change your attributes in every outpost you’re in without paying anything or speaking to an npc, because it was designed that way.

The only comparable feature here is the Attributes/Part part, the rest is totally invalid. You can’t compare a heavily instanced game with an open world design.

And yes they are exaggerating, this isn’t a feature they had to spend days coding to get in game, if you ever stepped in heart of the mists you’d notice there’s a “Refund Traits” button in the traits section, all they had to do was add it in the PvE section of the game but instead they chose to abuse the situation.

Not gonna bother discussing this any further, I’ve stated my point.

EDIT: corrected spelling

(edited by ArmoredVehicle.2849)

eisberg.2379

Your point is invalid, first of all GW1 was all instanced, secondly GW1 wasn’t designed with skill change in mind, can you imagine what PVE would have been with dual classes, skill and attributes swap? A total recipe for disaster. It was built from the ground up to allow 8 skills at a time.

On the other hand GW2 was designed with skill change since the beginning and if you require trait changes during an instance all one has to do is > go to LA from the Mists and back to the instance area, meaning he has to load 4 times. That is all this item does, eliminate loading times.

In GW1 you can change your attributes in every outpost you’re in without paying anything or speaking to an npc, because it was designed that way.

The only comparable feature here is the Attributes/Part part, the rest is totally invalid. You can’t compare a heavily instanced game with an open world design.

And yes they are exaggerating, this isn’t a feature they had to spend days coding to get in game, if you ever stepped in heart of the mists you’d notice there’s a “Refund Traits” button in the traits section, all they had to do was add it in the PvE section of the game but instead they chose to abuse the situation.

So it is ok for you to compare this situation to Guild Wars 1, but I can’t? is that because my point is actually valid. You brought up Guild Wars 1 as a comparison, I brought up how Guild Wars 1 had nothing like the reset trait item, and all of the sudden I can’t use Guild Wars 1 for comparison because it is a different game?

AntiGw.9367

Nothing in GW2 was designed to require respec. No instance requires it.

If your build is terrible and you only find it out in the middle of an instance you have two options. Each of them expensive in its own way. Pay up real money, or port to LA.

ArmoredVehicle.2849

So it is ok for you to compare this situation to Guild Wars 1, but I can’t? is that because my point is actually valid. You brought up Guild Wars 1 as a comparison, I brought up how Guild Wars 1 had nothing like the reset trait item, and all of the sudden I can’t use Guild Wars 1 for comparison because it is a different game?

What’s so valid in your point? The fact that you can’t see that what you call Traits in GW2 were called Attributes in GW1? Apparently you can’t see that. There was never a need for such an item in GW1 cause all you had to do was press K and adjust the attributes and it worked fine all those years.

Kindly note that as I’ve said above, the feature in GW2 was always present in PVP, they didn’t have to go so far for a simple button. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t see how this was a good idea on their part.

AntiGw.9367:

Brilliant!…or maybe not. If that’s how you put it then maybe we shouldn’t be allowed to change Trait Skills either.

(edited by ArmoredVehicle.2849)

Posted by: JBDanger.2603

JBDanger.2603

Or give us build templates like many people requested. This is arenanets solution to it! To charge the players real money or spend hours to grind gold to buy the gems to be able to change your build once? Right! They can go kitten themselves

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

Is this item real?

I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to change my traits once I’ve changed them at the trainer for PvE. If I need to swap to WvW, there is a trainer at spawn.

Yea, I could forget and have this item to save me a run but it isn’t that far. No way would I bother to buy that.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

ArmoredVehicle.2849

Yeah it’s real and you won’t need to change them often either. The only ones I know of that change them are those that switch from WvW to PvE.

More of a reason why this item is just a money sink, if they didn’t want us to change for free I’d have happily paid 10 silver every time I pushed the button.

eisberg.2379

What’s so valid in your point? The fact that you can’t see that what you call Traits in GW2 were called Attributes in GW1? Apparently you can’t see that. There was never a need for such an item in GW1 cause all you had to do was press K and adjust the attributes and it worked fine all those years.

Kindly note that as I’ve said above, the feature in GW2 was always present in PVP, they didn’t have to go so far for a simple button. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t see how this was a good idea on their part.

AntiGw.9367:

Brilliant!…or maybe not. If that’s how you put it then maybe we shouldn’t be allowed to change Trait Skills either.

You are the one that brought up Guild Wars 1 comparison, and now you are trying to downplay Guild Wars 1 comparison because I made a valid point that destroyed yours. lol

All you have to do is go to a trainer, and press reset, done. Really not all that much more different than Guild Wars 1. Except in Guild Wars 1 your instant reset if you left in the middle of it.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

tl;dr — I like the semi-permanence of the trait system and consider it a feature rather than a flaw, at least in PvE.

I’ve been trying to dig up the blog post from when they changed how respeccing traits is done, but the old development blog seems to be gone now. I seem to remember the reasoning being that they wanted to give character progression/build more of a sense of permanence, so that the choice would have more weight. I think of myself as a Fire/Arcana Elementalist, for instance, , in a much more permanent way than if I could respec to something else, say, everytime I fight Destroyers. (My go-to example since many of them seem to be immune to burning.) I’ve said this in another thread, but I’ll repeat it here: I actually prefer to not be able to respec on a whim, because that means I’m not encouraged to do so in order to play optimally. If I’m fighting Destroyers (again, as an example,) the fight has very organically-added drama because my favorite condition isn’t going to work this time, making them a weak spot for my character that I wouldn’t have otherwise.

Personally, I feel like I have a lot of choices in-game, and by keeping me from changing them easily, the game prevents me from being controlled by those choices. I make them, I live with them, and if I ever want to change them, I can do so with just enough inconvenience to give the decision weight. I can’t change my weapon or armor specs on the fly, and my trait lines are in a similar position. I can still change my Major Traits, which gives me some flexibility while still feeling like my character has a very rough archetype. That’s one place where they draw a line between flexibility and permanence.

Is everyone going to appreciate it as a design decision? Definitely not. But, for some people, it’s a feature, not a flaw, and the whole system has been working as intended. If this major gameplay system were designed from the start as a way to monetize something free from GW1 (setting aside the fact that the two features aren’t exactly alike,) it would have been introduced to the gem store quite a long time ago.

A template system, with regards to traits, is pretty much antithesis to this notion of semi-permanence in the trait system. If you’re changing traits often enough to need a template system, you’re probably not experiencing the weight of the decision as intended by the designers.

As for a cash shop item violating the spirit of the design of the system, yeah, that’s going to happen with convenience items. It’s just in their nature. Whether that’s good or bad depends heavily on how you feel about “convenience items in general.”

Of course, everything I’ve said about weight applies to PvE and WvW, not structured PvP. Metagames fluctuate much more rapidly in a highly competitive environment and tournament-inclined players are much more likely to switch up strategies more frequently than PvE/WvW players. That’s why everything mechanical in PvP is unlocked from the start and freely changeable; it follows a dramatically different philosophy than the other game modes. This was true in GW1 as well.

Having said that, I’d totally understand a template system for PvP.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367:

Switching utility skills or major traits is not a respec. It’s switching utilities.

A respec gives you an entirely different build, and should not be available in the middle of nowhere without restrictions. And now you either go to town for a cheap respec, or do it on the spot in the extremely rare cases where paying a prohibitively large amount of money for it would make sense.

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

I’ve been trying to dig up the blog post from when they changed how respeccing traits is done, but the old development blog seems to be gone now. I seem to remember the reasoning being that they wanted to give character progression/build more of a sense of permanence, so that the choice would have more weight.

I actually prefer to not be able to respec on a whim, because that means I’m not encouraged to do so in order to play optimally. If I’m fighting Destroyers (again, as an example,) the fight has very organically-added drama because my favorite condition isn’t going to work this time, making them a weak spot for my character that I wouldn’t have otherwise.

If I recall, those were two major reasons for not allowing trait changes on-the-fly. Adding some permanence to trait progression and preventing a situation were people were changing traits before every fight.

I think they were right on those counts, but I don’t think the NPC/fee was necessary. The fee isn’t really an issue, though, since it’s barely any money at all. Their main goals would still be maintained if trait resets were freely available anytime in a city. Or perhaps even within certain villages/outposts in pve zones.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: BalloonShark.6739

BalloonShark.6739

If I want to retrait, I usually just go to WvW and retrait there. Logout then login and be where I was.

Vayne.8563

AntiGw.9367:

Nice way to ignore my comment. You’re wrong about Guild Wars 1.

Guild Wars 1 NEVER allowed you to change traits or even skills in an explorable area. No how, no way.

You couldn’t retrait between boss encounters in a dungeon. You’d have to go back to town which would reset the instance.

So saying this was in Guild Wars 1 is 100% incorrect, even if a trait is an attribute.

In Guild Wars 2 you can swap skills and major traits out of combat anywhere in the world. You don’t have to go back to an outpost to do so. You don’t have to restart a zone or dungeon to do so.

Now they’re just adding the ability to retrait everything else outside of combat.

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

There is a way to make the change Traits ingame @ lower price (3,5silver). Therefore being ~4g it’s ok, as having and using this item is a pure commodity.

I would be happier with a “PERMANENT” item (600-1000gems) that would add +1 character bound template (to a maximum of 3):

Base : 1 template (As everyone have now);
+1 BTLC template item: 2 templates;
+1 BLTC template item: maxed @ 3 templates.

This would allow to use several gears for several playing roles for different situations (different dungeons, World PvE “grind” and WvW).

/cheers

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

Well, good to see ANet aren’t locking what could easily be a free patch behind a royal paywall.

I mean, you can do whatever you want with your game, trait respeccing is just fine, but don’t think for a second people don’t see the underhanded gesture.

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

Then don’t do something small such as this. Plan your builds to be versatile, and don’t expect that a free respec in the middle of nowhere is going to cover your mistakes and faulty builds.

hilarious

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

i was asking myself why the hell do i need to pay 4s every time to reset traits… that’s cuz anet try to monetize even trait resets rofl soon you’ll be paying 50gems to be in LA for longer than 30 minutes

I don’t mind paying an NPC a few silver, that’s just a typical MMO gold sink (and not a particularly egregious one, either, especially compared to the manuals).

Yes, “typical MMO” is exactly where we are headed.

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

I suggested Instant Trait Reset. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Trait-Reset-Express-and-Skill-Points

Thank you, Arena Net!

EDIT: This item is useful especially in high level Fractals of the Mists and dungeons, sometimes the party lacks damage so I’d reset my traits and switch gears. You can’t leave the party if you’re the party leader, the dungeon will reset.

Yes… gemstore purchase to circumvent game bugs… brilliant business plan anet.

Posted by: Flubble.8093

Flubble.8093

3.5 gold to instant trait reset lol noooooooooooooo ty…

i wanted instant trait reset but that cost is ridiculous.

a permanent legendary skill book would have been much better.

(edited by Flubble.8093)

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

There is a way to make the change Traits ingame @ lower price (3,5silver). Therefore being ~4g it’s ok, as having and using this item is a pure commodity.

I would be happier with a “PERMANENT” item (600-1000gems) that would add +1 character bound template (to a maximum of 3):

Base : 1 template (As everyone have now);
+1 BTLC template item: 2 templates;
+1 BLTC template item: maxed @ 3 templates.

This would allow to use several gears for several playing roles for different situations (different dungeons, World PvE “grind” and WvW).

/cheers

Why limit the number of templates you can have in total? It really depends on whether these are “in the field” trait changes or just templates you can change to at the vendor, but I still see little reason to add a hard cap for any reason other than mechanical.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: Lolindir.3518

Lolindir.3518

This is ridiculous, what we really need is to be able to switch any build/trait with a few clicks like it was on GW (no need to say, for free..). We need to have more variety of builds, otherwise the game becomes utterly static.

Posted by: Kita.2063

Kita.2063

We were asking for Trait Templates, that we could buy by gems (or at least one). And switch these Templates, with already choosen traits on them, whenever we were out of combat. The new trait resetter is just bullkitten, because you still need time to set new traits.

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

its a pure shame… they made it for a consumable item and in gw1 it was a basic…

In GW1, you were in a town anyways iirc. It’s not like they’ve deleted the trainers, and it’s not like these are the long awaited build templates.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Vayne.8563

This is ridiculous, what we really need is to be able to switch any build/trait with a few clicks like it was on GW (no need to say, for free..). We need to have more variety of builds, otherwise the game becomes utterly static.

You mean like only in outposts, but not between encounters out of combat. Because that’s how it was in Guild Wars. You couldn’t change attributes in the open world, or even skills.

Posted by: Kamui.3150

Kamui.3150

Now we just need it set up so that we can have differently selected traits while in water and land combat. It’s already set so that we have different 6-0 skills while underwater. Evasive Arcana doesn’t exactly do me too much good while I’m swimming around.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Thank you, Arena Net!

You know what would be even more useful? A spec for each aspect of the game. sPVP, WvW, Swim combat, Dungeoneering. But you couldn’t monetize that so…..

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

You know what would be even more useful? A spec for each aspect of the game. sPVP, WvW, Swim combat, Dungeoneering. But you couldn’t monetize that so…..

Sure you could. Spec templates that you can change to when you’re out of combat, same way that WoW does it. 500 gems a pop. I’d buy a few of them for my main.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Evasive Arcana doesn’t exactly do me too much good while I’m swimming around.

That’s part of the cost of having made that trait choice.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Henri Blanche.8276

Henri Blanche.8276

One thing we should be getting for free is two different sets of traits, one for on dry land and one for underwater — just like we have two sets of weapons and skill bars.

Posted by: Kamui.3150

Kamui.3150

Evasive Arcana doesn’t exactly do me too much good while I’m swimming around.

That’s part of the cost of having made that trait choice.

Yes, and I get that, what I’m talking about is having two setups for my traits without changing where the points are allocated. So instead of Evasive Arcana I can have it set so my GM Arcana slot automatically shifts to Final Shielding or the like once I go underwater. Ideally players would be doing all that anyway once they go into the water, but this is mainly a streamlining thing so that players don’t need to spend the time to reshift their selected traits each time they move from land to water and vice versa. It’s no different from shifting your 6-0 skills when changing combat modes, so I see no reason why this couldn’t happen.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

They’re charging 3.5g to reset traits on the fly LOL this must be the must useless and overpriced item in the whole game.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.