Instead of being able to buy the new nodes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

We have to deal with this.

I’m so glad I wasn’t able to just buy these and instead have to rely on (what I assume is) a less than 1% chance to get these out of an RNG box.

I’m glad I paid a couple thousand gems for the cloth stand and all of the basic nodes for my home instance only to be met with an RNG paywall for the rest of them, pretty much ensuring that I’ll never have a full collection in the home instance.

Classy move. Awesome stuff.

Attachments:

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I believe it is simply a matter of economy.

Having all of these in your home-instance does effect the economy. And as such selling them directly for gems would require much less gems than getting them via the chests.
Thus the hit on the economy would be worse than the hit when people are trading gems for gold (with part of the gold being removed with taxes) if you could buy them directly.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I don’t think these affect the economy at all. The % of users who actually have these nodes is very, very small (otherwise those prices above wouldn’t be so high).

TehPwnerer.7215

It’s just horse how they sold all the original, crappy nodes for 10$ a piece and then make the actual desirable nodes RNG bullkitten. So now if I ever want to complete the home instance I have to pay the price of a legendary to do so? That rings acceptable to you, Krall?

Vol.7601

It’s just horse how they sold all the original, crappy nodes for 10$ a piece and then make the actual desirable nodes RNG bullkitten. So now if I ever want to complete the home instance I have to pay the price of a legendary to do so? That rings acceptable to you, Krall?

Maybe I’m a different player but these nodes do not make or break the game. They are convenience. Is it going to hamper your gameplay by not having these nodes?

lordkrall.7241

I don’t think these affect the economy at all. The % of users who actually have these nodes is very, very small (otherwise those prices above wouldn’t be so high).

And that is just the thing. It doesn’t effect the economy much as it is now. Simply due to them being so rare and thus have a high price.

If they on the other hand were guaranteed and directly buyable from the gem-store they would most likely be used by way more people.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

lordkrall.7241

I would saying that being able to directly buy high-end materials (that otherwise would require you to go to a high-level zone with strong mobs guarding them) would be a much bigger issue than the current situation.

The low-level nodes are available more or less at the start, and thus being able to add them to the home instances doesn’t really change anything at all.

I have also never seen a legendary go for under 1000g. You should also keep in mind that they are still rather new and as such they will drop in price, just like the first batch that were released the same way.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

It’s a bit of an odd goal, wanting all the nodes in the home instance. I never saw much for them, apart from the ones that aren’t in the open world (like sprockets), or for a small amount of convenience for the daily. There are, after all, virtually unlimited amounts of each type of node in the open world. But to each their own, I guess.

Think of it as a long term goal. The price will come down, since more will keep dropping, and I doubt there’s a huge amount of demand for them. And unless they release more, you can keep working towards the ones you don’t have.

TehPwnerer.7215

Maybe I’m a different player but these nodes do not make or break the game. They are convenience. Is it going to hamper your gameplay by not having these nodes?

No and that’s not why I’m upset. I bought the originals (800 gems a pop) because I thought it’s cool to have things actually inside my home instance. Had I known they’d pull this bull on future node releases I wouldn’t have bothered in the first place.

So now instead of having just an empty home instance I’ll have an incomplete one. And that is extremely frustrating considering I spent over 3000 gems for the original nodes they sold.

TehPwnerer.7215

I would saying that being able to directly buy high-end materials (that otherwise would require you to go to a high-level zone with strong mobs guarding them) would be a much bigger issue than the current situation.

The low-level nodes are available more or less at the start, and thus being able to add them to the home instances doesn’t really change anything at all.

I have also never seen a legendary go for under 1000g. You should also keep in mind that they are still rather new and as such they will drop in price, just like the first batch that were released the same way.

I suppose you’re right and I’m probably just mad because of what I mentioned in my previous comment.

Posted by: Oofta.8036

Oofta.8036

You do realize that they need to be able to make money someplace in the game.

Vol.7601

Well I guess your disappointment stems from you being a completionists and you want the whole collection. I understand that I suppose. But I’d argue Anet is free to change the distribution system of these nodes as they see fit. And they probably felt that the lower-tier nodes were good for the gem store, while the higher ones were better suited for the RNG chests.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I’m surprised these nodes are being mentioned. Meanwhile, we still have the mess that is the “Treasure Hunter” collection. What is that up to now,1600 gold?

For the home instance nodes, I think it’s pretty safe to assume prices will continue to drop. When the expansion comes out, Guild Halls will more than likely trump home instances by far. So demand will decrease even further as the year goes on.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

You do realize that they need to be able to make money someplace in the game.

They would have all my money if they didn’t lock it up behind an RNG box.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

No and that’s not why I’m upset. I bought the originals (800 gems a pop) because I thought it’s cool to have things actually inside my home instance. Had I known they’d pull this bull on future node releases I wouldn’t have bothered in the first place.

So now instead of having just an empty home instance I’ll have an incomplete one. And that is extremely frustrating considering I spent over 3000 gems for the original nodes they sold.

You will enjoy this game so much more once you let go of the need to be a 100% completionist.

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

There is more money to be made by enticing the majority of the players to keep forking over money to buy gems to buy keys for a chance at something they will likely never get than having those same players pay a one-time fee for the same item.

Over-time profit is better than one short spike in profit. NCSoft’s shareholders need to see a steady flow of income for the game to keep their investments sound. If they only see sporadic spikes, it is seen as too uncertain and not a good investment. THAT is the driving point. The in-game economy takes a backseat in this regard.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

There is more money to be made by enticing the majority of the players to keep forking over money to buy gems to buy keys for a chance at something they will likely never get than having those same players pay a one-time fee for the same item.

That’s fundamentally dishonest. And I don’t think Anet is doing that; they’re better than that.

As far as shareholders, you have no idea what you’re talking about. There are a lot of problems with the constant focus on quarterly profits, but it is still that: quarterly. Which means so long as Anet is regularly releasing desirable things in the gemshop for gems, there’s no need for RNG lottery boxes.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

That’s fundamentally dishonest. And I don’t think Anet is doing that; they’re better than that.

That is the whole point of lockboxes. The reason they exist at all is to get people to spend more on whatever they are trying to buy than they otherwise would. There is not reason for lockboxes to exist other than to prey upon those with either a weakness for gambling or an unrealistic perception of statistics.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

That is the whole point of lockboxes. The reason they exist at all is to get people to spend more on whatever they are trying to buy than they otherwise would. There is not reason for lockboxes to exist other than to prey upon those with either a weakness for gambling or an unrealistic perception of statistics.

While I agree that there are people who are compulsive gamblers that are drawn to playing lock boxes, I don’t think that’s the only reason for them.

There are also people who aren’t compulsive, but like to buy boxes say once a month and get random stuff.

There’s one guy in my guild who spends like $50 a montkittens. That’s it. That’s all he spends. But he enjoys getting stuff and not knowing what he’s going to get. That’s a pleasurable experience for him.

I don’t get it myself, but you can’t say there aren’t people out there who don’t enjoy gambling who aren’t addicted to gambling.

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

There’s one guy in my guild who spends like $50 a montkittens. That’s it. That’s all he spends. But he enjoys getting stuff and not knowing what he’s going to get. That’s a pleasurable experience for him.

I just… I just don’t understand. I’m all for supporting the game financially, I do it more than most, but on black lion keys…? That’s madness!

That $50 will just turn into boosters, enchantment powder, bank/trading post expresses, etc. If he just converted it into gold and… I’m sorry, this really does just hurt my brain. If it makes him happy, then I suppose it’s okay – but the numbers behind those chests do not make $50 worth of keys feel worthwhile. I’ve saved up stacks of them from drops, alts, key runs and freebies to try and get a nice spread of luck several times now; and I’ve seen claim scraps at best.

Oh well, to each his own.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

but you can’t say there aren’t people out there who don’t enjoy gambling who aren’t addicted to gambling.

I didn’t.

Anet didn’t invent lockboxes, Anet is also not anywhere near the worst of those companies using lockboxes. But lockboxes exist for exactly the reasons I mentioned.