Instrument volume slider (delete this thread)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Mods, please lock/delete this post, people aren’t bothering to read the post, and the following discussion is simply ridiculous.. Thanks

While I completely understand the need to allow players to control the volume of instruments, I personally think the current solution is flawed.

Creating a slider for all instruments is kinda like using a sledgehammer to open an egg.

The slider does allow users to mute the instruments of those who would use them to annoy others, but it also mutes everyone who are genuinely nice to listen to. The solution provided is really not the right one for the problem.

The problem, as you know are as follows.

1. Some players use instruments to annoy others
2. Some instruments you want to listen to, are drowned out by others you don’t.

In both these cases, the solution isn’t that players want to mute all instruments, but that they want to mute specific instruments.

I think ANet should consider a better solution than a catch all slider. Here are a few that I thought of, but feel free to suggest your own.

1. Music Free/Specific Zones

Much like in most cities, you need a busking licence to play on the street. If ANet limited instruments to designated areas, it would allow players to gather there to hear, and play music.

2. Mute Individual Players

Ideally, we should be able to click on a player, and mute their instruments. Note, I don’t think this should be the same as blocking them because I don’t think learning to play an instrument is reason to block someone.

In my opinion, a 100% effective solution is to allow players to mute all instruments via a slider like it is now, but also include a checkbox to mute individual player instruments (sounds).

Thoughts?

(edited by Crazylegsmurphy.6430)

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

my thought is that it’s perfect that way instead of forcing everyone to hear your music , even if you are good.

I saw a player invite everyone at Fort Marriner via map chat to listen his instruments concert.: This is respectful of others and a smart decision. Players who actually care about the instruments will watch the musician .. he is far from the bank and TP.

For me this slider will stay off .. forever. this is the best idea since sliced bread

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Or maybe…

3. We don’t want to listen to instruments at all.

I’m at that third category. My slider is set to zero and it won’t change any time soon.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

If these people had to select individual players and shut them off one at a time….whoooo boy, I’d feel terrible for them. Carpel tunnel anyone?

On the other hand, creating ‘music free’ areas infringes on the rights of the people who bought the instruments for their own enjoyment and their right to play anywhere that they please.

As such, I think their slider is the best solution, since some people don’t want to listen to the music…..ever. Good, bad, or otherwise. They have the option to simply shut it off, without affecting any of their other game play sounds, which is their right.

However, I’d have gone one further with the slider – a master on/off for all instruments sound (for those that want to just shut them all of), and individual sub-sliders for each instrument. This way people could adjust how much or how little of a specific one they hear. For instance, a person might turn the horn all the way down (off) since they don’t like its sound, but keep the flute high because they do like that one.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I have to admit it’s pretty much a non-issue for me because I usually play with all the sound off so I can listen to my own music, but I think having to manually mute each and every annoying player you come across is just too much work to ever be practical.

You’d have to spend your first 5 or 10 minutes every time you’re in LA trying to locate instrument spammers just to block them. Much easier to just have one slider for everyone.

If someone actually is doing a good job (and I’ve only encountered that once, and that was back when the Wintersday bell came out) then they can advertise it, or other players will do it for them and people can choose to turn the sound back on. But since they seem to be very much the minority, and even then a lot of people won’t be interested (how often do you stop what you’re doing to listen to a busker?) I don’t think it’s worth the hassle of individual mute options.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Mouhappai.5406

Mouhappai.5406

I have a genuine question for those who set the volume slider to off forever; what is it about in-game street performers and musicians that make you hate them so?

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

As long as the instrument slider has a setting for 0 volume, it’s the perfect solution.

I have a genuine question for those who set the volume slider to off forever; what is it about in-game street performers and musicians that make you hate them so?

Because you’re neither musicians nor street performers. If I want to hear musical talent perform, I’ll go see real musical talent perform.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I don’t hate them but here is why I turn the slider to mute:

1. Many of the people that think they play good music don’t.
  2. Many that are fairly decent at it play the same song over and over.
  3. Often I just don’t like the songs being played.
  4. I am listing to other music on iTunes.

Basically you can thank the nimrods that think they are being cute by standing in the bank or TP and spamming the same note over and over again for this. It’s bad enough when these goofballs stand in those areas spamming their weapon effects non-stop. Then you throw in the instrument spam and it gets very obnoxious very fast.

Players should not have to go out of their way to avoid hearing music or in many cases just noise. I can understand those that have taken the time to learn to play music being frustrated. However, play your music where you want and the people that like listening to it will hear it because they won’t have it on mute. It has not disabled the instrument all together it just lets people opt out. If they don’t want to hear it to start with I don’t see much in the way of loss for those playing the music.

The Burninator

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

How about we keep it simple?
Don’t want to hear the instruments: Turn the slider down
Want to hear the instruments: Turn the slider up

I like it how it is. The problem is solved and there is no need for this thread.

Mouhappai.5406

As long as the instrument slider has a setting for 0 volume, it’s the perfect solution.

Because you’re neither musicians nor street performers. If I want to hear musical talent perform, I’ll go see real musical talent perform.

Well dang. That’s the last thing I want to hear after 10 years of music playing. But at any rate, thanks all for the answers. JustTrogdor especially, I understand where you guys are coming from now. But now I’m embarrassed to even take out the flute and play anything since I’ll thinking that people around me could be annoyed by it.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Actually I think the block function should also prevent you from hearing sounds made by blocked players. Otherwise when a good player hosts a concert, a troll can simply come by and start spamming notes, ruining it for everyone.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Well dang. That’s the last thing I want to hear after 10 years of music playing. But at any rate, thanks all for the answers. JustTrogdor especially, I understand where you guys are coming from now. But now I’m embarrassed to even take out the flute and play anything since I’ll thinking that people around me could be annoyed by it.

Maybe after playing another 10 years, you’ll realize that playing music is about the music, not your ego.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

NewTrain.7549

Well dang. That’s the last thing I want to hear after 10 years of music playing.

I’ve been playing multiple instruments for over 15 years (and being paid to do it) and don’t consider myself especially talented. Besides, time spent does not necessarily equal talent.

Mouhappai.5406

Well dang. That’s the last thing I want to hear after 10 years of music playing.

I’ve been playing multiple instruments for over 15 years (and being paid to do it) and don’t consider myself especially talented. Besides, time spent does not necessarily equal talent.

Judging by your previous comments, I find that hardly convincing. Not the being paid part, ‘cause that’s pretty much a given if you work in this industry, don’t see why there was even need to mention that. But if it’s true, then you’re pretty conceited for a musician. Forgive me for being blunt.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Creating a slider for all instruments is kinda like using a sledgehammer to open an egg.

Nope. The sledgehammer is to turn the volume off completely.

It’s pure bliss to play a game quietly. Now look up Hyperacusis and figure why I do that.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I would like to have both a slider to adjust all instruments and an extension of the block function to include instruments of that player. People who play to annoy are block list fodder anyway and it would be nice to be able to block their annoying words and sounds. Some combination of the two would solve my issues with the instruments. I actually like having them a lot in the game.

NewTrain.7549

Judging by your previous comments, I find that hardly convincing. Not the being paid part, ‘cause that’s pretty much a given if you work in this industry, don’t see why there was even need to mention that. But if it’s true, then you’re pretty conceited for a musician. Forgive me for being blunt.

You call me conceited for bringing up years spent, just as you did (except being more humble, stating I didn’t think I was especially talented)? Hilarious. Perhaps look in the mirror next time you want to point fingers, eh?

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Not to sound rude, but I’m fairly convinced that almost everyone from this point, did not fully read my post.

Please, if you commented, take a moment to go back and read my post in full, then let me know your thoughts.

Mouhappai.5406

You call me conceited for bringing up years spent, just as you did (except being more humble, stating I didn’t think I was especially talented)? Hilarious. Perhaps look in the mirror next time you want to point fingers, eh?

In your previous comments, you made the assumption that anyone who plays the instruments in game is not a musician. I am not comparing myself to you by bringing up my experience, merely that anyone with or without experience is apparently, to you, not a musician. I did not say I was talented, but I certainly feel that I am experienced.

But why did you assume first that music players in game are not musicians? Don’t you think that by chance people who buy the flute might be… musicians in real life? 10 years we spent studying, practicing, performing, yelled at for not getting that Beethoven feel, or that Bach feel, etc, and then you go and make us all look like child’s play with an assumption that we’re “not musicians”. I didn’t say 10 years to downplay you. I’m just pointing out that’s 10 years of blood and sweat come to nothing with your simple assumption that I’m no musician, and so you turn the volume slider down.

This is what I mean when I said you’re pretty conceited, for a musician. And sorry about the English, it’s not my first language.

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

Not to sound rude, but I’m fairly convinced that almost everyone from this point, did not fully read my post.

Please, if you commented, take a moment to go back and read my post in full, then let me know your thoughts.

This topic has already been discussed. What you now suggest is to take away a player right…muting musical instruments.

Now I ask…why is your right to be heard more important than another’s right not to be bothered with your music? Be it great music or not.

Now I personally will listen to some peoples music and enjoy it at times, but again…if a player truly doesn’t want to hear it they should not be forced to do so.

(edited by Amun Ra.6435)

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

I love the slider, its the best part of the last update, and the first thing I did in game was slide it to zero.

I love music. I listen to it all the time. I don’t listen to music done on crude toys, football horns, or bells with cooldowns. Might as well be playing with a stick and an old shoe. It is not a matter of talent, but one of tools, and the tools don’t cut it. The option to mute all is the one I would take, regardless.

Now.. just give me a particle slider.. PLEASE.

And forgive me, I have to share this. In EQ2, we had an option of 2 sets of Character models, original or SOGA.. and options to hide cloaks and mounts, which did save on performance. There was a very strident group of people who insisted that other people had no right to do this, that they had to see, on their screen, what these players INTENDED for them to see. They insisted that knowing others saw their char in an alternate model or sans cloak or mount degraded their game experience. It was pretty hilarious.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Mouhappai – you should be happy that there is a slider now, no need to feel embarrassed that people might not like it – because the ones who don’t like it don’t have to get mad and irritated – they can simply mute you without you knowing.

I play without sound most of the time anyways, but I’m glad they keep on introducing more instruments. Maybe one day we can have concerts similar to the ones in Lotro.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

This topic has already been discussed. What you now suggest is to take away a player right…muting musical instruments.

In my opinion, a 100% effective solution is to allow players to mute all instruments via a slider like it is now, but also include a checkbox to mute individual player instruments (sounds).

NewTrain.7549

In your previous comments, you made the assumption that anyone who plays the instruments in game is not a musician. I am not comparing myself to you by bringing up my experience, merely that anyone with or without experience is apparently, to you, not a musician. I did not say I was talented, but I certainly feel that I am experienced.

But why did you assume first that music players in game are not musicians? Don’t you think that by chance people who buy the flute might be… musicians in real life? 10 years we spent studying, practicing, performing, yelled at for not getting that Beethoven feel, or that Bach feel, etc, and then you go and make us all look like child’s play with an assumption that we’re “not musicians”. I didn’t say 10 years to downplay you. I’m just pointing out that’s 10 years of blood and sweat come to nothing with your simple assumption that I’m no musician, and so you turn the volume slider down.

This is what I mean when I said you’re pretty conceited, for a musician. And sorry about the English, it’s not my first language.

You obviously misinterpreted my post. I meant that “playing the flute in game does not make you a musician”. Claiming otherwise is akin to a child banging on a trash can and calling himself an experienced drummer. There’s no reasonable way to interpret it the way you did, unless you think I’m the NSA and can spy on you.

Clearly you’re upset and defensive over this (for some unknown reason), so relax and cool off before you start taking offense at things which aren’t offensive.

(edited by NewTrain.7549)

Mouhappai.5406

You obviously misinterpreted my post. I meant that “playing the flute in game does not make you a musician”. Claiming otherwise is akin to a child banging on a trash can and calling himself an experienced drummer. There’s no reasonable way to interpret it the way you did, unless you think I’m the NSA and can spy on you.

Clearly you’re upset and defensive over this (for some unknown reason), so relax and cool off before you start taking offense at things which aren’t offensive.

It certainly does not. But my point was what made you think that the person playing it isn’t already a musician behind the screen? A musician can’t have some fun with an in-game flute and make great music, despite its limitations due to game design? Just because a musician is playing with a virtual flute doesn’t mean he’s a child banging on trash cans, and it certianly doesn’t warrant to be muted forever. Particularly, even if inexperienced people were simply playing the flute to have fun, it didn’t annoy me one bit. In fact I’m always interested and excited to see how people, inexperienced or not, play their own music. It’s a warming feeling despite people having different levels or fields of expertise, having the same interests at heart.

But far be it from me that someone with over 15 years of experience would find this so annoying that every single one of them deserves to be muted forever, because they are just children banging on trash cans.

Mouhappai – you should be happy that there is a slider now, no need to feel embarrassed that people might not like it – because the ones who don’t like it don’t have to get mad and irritated – they can simply mute you without you knowing.

I play without sound most of the time anyways, but I’m glad they keep on introducing more instruments. Maybe one day we can have concerts similar to the ones in Lotro.

Thanks, I understand where you’re coming from, but the feeling of someone around you that doesn’t like your playing is still pretty distracting. But I understand, I’ll just do whatever I feel like, until someome walks up to me and tells me to kitten off, lol.

(edited by Mouhappai.5406)

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

….is kinda like using a sledgehammer to open an egg.

Anet training manual 101.

Erasculio.2914

I don’t hate them but here is why I turn the slider to mute:

1. Many of the people that think they play good music don’t.
  2. Many that are fairly decent at it play the same song over and over.
  3. Often I just don’t like the songs being played.

Definitely the above. When I want to listen to something, I will listen to that something. When I don’t want to, I won’t. I have never seen someone in game asking people if they wanted to listen to their music – they just played, even when they were not trying to be annoying. Now, we can choose to listen to their music or not, just like we can choose to listen to a music or not in the real world.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

It is fine as is.

If I want to listen to you all play your instruments…I am very much not likely to ever have such a desire…I will turn up the volume.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

It is fine as is.

If I want to listen to you all play your instruments…I am very much not likely to ever have such a desire…I will turn up the volume.

And what if I want to listen to some specific players on instruments, but not all?

Are you still convinced it is fine as it is?

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Definitely the above. When I want to listen to something, I will listen to that something. When I don’t want to, I won’t. I have never seen someone in game asking people if they wanted to listen to their music – they just played, even when they were not trying to be annoying. Now, we can choose to listen to their music or not, just like we can choose to listen to a music or not in the real world.

So, what would happen if you wanted to listen to music, but someone was blaring a TV in the same room? Would you put on headphones, or would you flip the breaker in the basement cutting off all power to the house?

NewTrain.7549

It certainly does not. But my point was what made you think that the person playing it isn’t already a musician behind the screen? A musician can’t have some fun with an in-game flute and make great music, despite its limitations due to game design? Just because a musician is playing with a virtual flute doesn’t mean he’s a child banging on trash cans, and it certianly doesn’t warrant to be muted forever. Particularly, even if inexperienced people were simply playing the flute to have fun, it didn’t annoy me one bit. In fact I’m always interested and excited to see how people, inexperienced or not, play their own music. It’s a warming feeling despite people having different levels or fields of expertise, having the same interests at heart.

But far be it from me that someone with over 15 years of experience would find this so annoying that every single one of them deserves to be muted forever, because they are just children banging on trash cans.

Clearly you’re upset and defensive over this (for some unknown reason), so relax and cool off before you continue taking offense at things which aren’t offensive.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

It’s just fine the way it is. I don’t want to hear you at all.

It’s working, thank you very much.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

I think it’s fine. Let them spend time tweaking the actual instruments to work better. I personally don’t care if others want to play, train or go completely stupid with their instrument. If it gets annoying I will mute the entire game and listen to music or just leave the area entirely and hit up pvp or dungeons.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

So, just so I’m clear, you’re only concerned with yourself?

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

I think it’s fine. Let them spend time tweaking the actual instruments to work better. I personally don’t care if others want to play, train or go completely stupid with their instrument. If it gets annoying I will mute the entire game and listen to music or just leave the area entirely and hit up pvp or dungeons.

Seems like a pretty overkill solution. Wonder if there is a better way.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Was I totally unclear in my post or something?

JustTrogdor.7892

Once again you can thank the kids that run around spamming their horns for this, don’t take it out on the people that don’t want to hear it at all. Sure in theory it would be nice for people to be able to mute certain players. The problem with this is that every time you hear someone trolling their horn you have to fist locate them in a crowd and then bother to click mute them however that would work. I don’t really want to have to search around a crowd in LA to see who is spamming their horn.

I don’t understand why getting all worked up over people who don’t want to hear your music. If they don’t want to hear it why would you care? People who want to hear music will leave it on and maybe they will appreciate your songs. Me, I don’t want to hear any of the “music” and I don’t want to go around trying to figure out who is playing it every place I go and then having to tic some box on their name or whatever. For me it is much more efficient to have it off completely.

It’s kind of the same way for me with /map. Sometimes I don’t like reading things like hour long conversations between 4 people about their cats or whatever. I don’t necessarily want to block them because at times they may have something in /map that I want to respond to or read. So I just change channels to guild or whatever and check back later. Should they be upset that I can close /map and can’t read their banter?

The Burninator

Erasculio.2914

So, what would happen if you wanted to listen to music, but someone was blaring a TV in the same room? Would you put on headphones, or would you flip the breaker in the basement cutting off all power to the house?

Cutting off all the power in the house would do more than prevent me from listening to the guy blaring a TV. It would, incidentally, prevent the guy from watching TV.

Turning off my slider only means I won’t (ever) hear music people play. It won’t prevent them from playing or listening to their own music.

Ergo, your metaphor doesn’t really apply here. The main difference is that the fact I’m muting you doesn’t prevent you from doing anything with yourself, only with me. Why are you even concerned about this?

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

Man it’s true what they say people complain even when there’s nothing to complain about !

kitten ed if you do, kitten ed if you don’t !

I for one say thank you arenanet for the slider it is most joyfully welcome

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I don’t understand why getting all worked up over people who don’t want to hear your music. If they don’t want to hear it why would you care?

I doubt there are very many true musicians upset about this issue. Most of the whining is the spammers pretending they are of value to society.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

The slider is a slap in the face to everyone who paid MONEY to buy an instrument. Is this game filled with that old man next door who complains about those punks next door blaring their loud music?

My thought is to make /block cover the music. If you hate someone’s music and they won’t stop playing for you, you probably would want to block them for something else eventually, anyhow

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

OP, there is a saying that goes ‘your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins’. In this case, ‘your right to make noise/music ends where my ears begin’. It’s a egocentric expectation that insists that everyone around you must listen to whatever noise you are making. Whether its good or not is irrelevant. You could be Mozart reborn but if I don’t want to hear you then it’s noise.

JustTrogdor.7892

The slider is a slap in the face to everyone who people MONEY to buy an instrument. Is this game filled with that old man next door who complains about those punks next door blaring their loud music?

My thought is to make /block cover the music. If you hate someone’s music and they won’t stop playing for you, you probably would want to block them for something else eventually, anyhow

I’ve already discussed my stance on this. I don’t want to hear it at all no matter how bad or how good. I don’t want to have to go around clicking /block every time I hear the music. I don’t want to be at the TP in LA looking at items I may want to buy and have to stop what I’m doing to figure out who in the crowd there is spamming their horn. Again, people seem to keep blaming those that use the mute option. Again it is one of those things where a few people messed it up for everyone else. That isn’t my fault because I choose to use the mute option.

My thought is to make /block cover the music.

Thankfully there is one and it suits my needs perfectly.

O———————|———————-|

Instrument Volume

I don’t seem to understand why those with instruments insist people who don’t want to hear the music at all, any of it, should be forced to go around hand picking people to not listen to. I don’t understand why those with the instruments feel so slighted because people who do not want to hear their music, or any instruments now have that option to do so. Really? Are you missing out on that much because I’m standing in a bank and can’t here you because I don’t want to?

The Burninator

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

3. Some don’t want to hear instruments at all.

JustTrogdor.7892

I read your post and I suppose I should not have used my example since I don’t want to hear anyone’s music. Let’s pretend I do and the tool you suggest is available. Okay, I have my slider on so I can hear you. Now I go to a congested area in LA and there are 3 people spamming their instruments and now I have to search them out so I can target them to block them, wash and repeat. I just don’t think your idea would work. I’m sorry but I don’t think people are looking for more things to click and check to avoid things they don’t want to be exposed to even if they like some people’s music. Most people would just choose mute all out of convenience.

Your other suggestion seems more viable in that having a selected music zone so people that want to hear it can. Then again, why does Anet need to implement this? Why don’t you, the musician set up an unofficial area in some part of the map for your shows? There are tons of places where no one stands around that would suit this. Then you and whoever wants to hear you play can go there and do just that. They can all have their sliders on and you can play your heart out. That way the people that want to hear you play can do so without having to go around clicking people’s names all day.

This is a much better idea but you seemed to have changed your mind on this as you didn’t even quote it and have stopped talking about it:

1. Music Free/Specific Zones
Much like in most cities, you need a busking licence to play on the street. If ANet limited instruments to designated areas, it would allow players to gather there to hear, and play music.

I think what it comes down to is you are seeing that many people don’t want to hear people play their music. I think this has made you angry because it seems you have invested a lot of time learning to play your songs.

Now you seem to be in rage mode with “Delete this thread!” and quoting yourself over and over. I’m sorry but that isn’t going to help people to want to be more receptive to you or your music.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: hazenvirus.8154

hazenvirus.8154

So, just so I’m clear, you’re only concerned with yourself?

While the volume slider isn’t perfect it does meet the majority of concerns about the musical instruments and cuts down on trolling. I don’t mind hearing musical instruments occasionally, but most of the time I play with the volume slider at 0. I don’t think it is selfish to use and like the option to not hear people playing instruments at all. It is a good fix and maybe it could get better in the future with the added option of blocking individual players. This is a game though and there is nothing wrong with being concerned with yourself as long as other players are not being harmed by your actions. The slider cannot hurt your experience as you can still enjoy your music. The opposite is not necessarily true of the music you might play for others.

Posted by: lilstev.3498

lilstev.3498

OP try “America’s Got Talent”, they might actually care about your wonderful musician skills!

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

I listen to all the music people do. It makes the world feel alive. No matter if it is just an annoying sound or a good composition, it just gives more life to the environment.
There are all sorts of sounds in real life too that you cant avoid and then you get used to them or move away.
I would go even further and add a sort of “music meter” to measure if a music is good or bad and let the NPCs around share different emotions like /clap or /shoo, /boo depending on the sound rating.

I wont say anything about the people who turn this sounds off ’coz I am sure they will get offended no matter in how nice words and explanations I would say it.

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

I agree with ya OP. On a number of things.

1. Unless you have done some editing, the impression I got was simply the addition of selectively reducing the sound of instruments based on the individual playing.

How is it that people interpret this as “people should be forced to hear me play” is way beyond a lack of reading comprehension.

Way too much playing GW and not enough paying attention in school clearly. Especially with 5 80s. Which brings me to the next point.

2. Craptrain (if your choice of name says anything about how you are as a person) your original reply can be nothing but offensive and you not seeing that is right up there along with your choice of name in reflection on you. I’m by no means a musician, but your assumption that the person at the keyboard is in no way a musician either would be quite insulting if I were one.

Even more insulting comparing those in game to children banging pots and pans (very tempted to get a video of someone actually playing good on pots a pans).

I too would reply with the contrary as any reasonable person would. As the OP did.

Between your original reply and the OPs resonse to it, one is an insulting assumption while the other contains a statement of fact. Let’s start with you figuring out which is which.

(edited by Deamhan.9538)