Intentionally Spoiling Movies

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: woofie.5603

woofie.5603

are players punished for intentionally spoiling movies?

Someone was spoiling star wars in lions arch and i think they should be banned.

Edit: removed name

(edited by woofie.5603)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

1) There was a long topic about this but it turned nasty and got locked.

2) This is considered griefing or verbal abuse (since the only purpose is to annoy/upset people) and they can be reported in-game.

3) Calling out people on the forum or encouraging other players to take action against them is also against the rules so you should remove their name from that post.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

It is classed a griefing and the devs have said to report them so they can be dealt with.
Sadly name and shame as much as I would love for it to be allowed, isn’t allowed on the forums

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

How low have we dropped that this is even up for discussion?

Banning people? Suspensions? Labeling them griefers for talking about a movie?
When did this become a thing? Seriously. Talking about movies in a public city and in a public chat channel is now “griefing”?

But hey, lets just censor everything and remove public channels altogether. Because who needs freedom of speech anyways?

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

When did this become a thing? Seriously. Talking about movies in a public city and in a public chat channel is now “griefing”?

But hey, lets just censor everything and remove public channels altogether. Because who needs freedom of speech anyways?

Freedom of speech is freedom from the government censoring or punishing you. It has nothing at all to do with a private concern moderating, censoring, or punishing speech on their property. Please look up terms before (mis)using them or at least remember your high school government classes.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Azhure.1857

Please forgive me, you lot are just way too PC for me. Personally I find this trend utterly disgusting, but apparently I’m in the minority.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Hey, you agreed to the ToS and basically signed it away. Its not the govt nor anets fault you didnt read

Azhure.1857

Wonder if I’m allowed to go into LA and talk about Avatar, Creed, X-Men, or any other movie. Ever. Perhaps you lot should sit down together with ArenaNet and set the rules for what movies people are allowed to talk about. Hmm?

That sounds like a very fun and relaxing environment indeed.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Please forgive me, you lot are just way too PC for me. Personally I find this trend utterly disgusting, but apparently I’m in the minority.

ANet is a business and one of the things a business does is protect its investment. Since it’s a game, it protects players against griefing as griefing can cause people to stop playing, and ANet loses income when people stop playing. If people are saying things in chat for the sole reason to upset or anger others then ANet, as a business, has the right to step in and protect its investment by stopping people from saying what is upsetting other players. You might not like it, but they have the right to control speech inside the game and the forum. If that means suspending people in game or infracting people on the forum for spoiling movies, then that’s what they will do.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Azhure.1857

Without the potential “griefer” flat out admitting his/her intention to grief, who are you or anyone else to say they are griefing? Just because their topic of discussion offends you? Please get real. If that were truly all that it took for Anet to take action against players, then half of those paying customers would be banned or suspended long ago. That’s just going by map chat alone.
Almost everything is offensive to someone, somewhere.
I hate the color pink, I suppose I should start reporting all players that wear that color. Huh. They’re damaging my end game experience, after all.

Oh and to all of you movie goers ~ I’ve not seen a lot of movies yet. Like Ant-Man and the 2nd Avengers movie. Feel FREE enough to spoil them for me. It won’t bother me. Even if it did, I could always choose not to check this thread again to avoid them. * gasp * Like, I don’t know, turning Say and Map chats off if one were so overly sensitive to current topics POSSIBLY ever being brought up for discussion.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Without the potential “griefer” flat out admitting his/her intention to grief, who are you or anyone else to say they are griefing? Just because their topic of discussion offends you? Please get real. If that were truly all that it took for Anet to take action against players, then half of those paying customers would be banned or suspended long ago. That’s just going by map chat alone.
Almost everything is offensive to someone, somewhere.
I hate the color pink, I suppose I should start reporting all players that wear that color. Huh. They’re damaging my end game experience, after all.

Oh and to all of you movie goers ~ I’ve not seen a lot of movies yet. Like Ant-Man and the 2nd Avengers movie. Feel FREE enough to spoil them for me. It won’t bother me. Even if it did, I could always choose not to check this thread again to avoid them. * gasp * Like, I don’t know, turning Say and Map chats off if one were so overly sensitive to current topics POSSIBLY ever being brought up for discussion.

Let’s say the movie was Empire Strikes Back.

Topic in Divinity’s Reach map chat is discussion about Festive Imbiber is way too ridiculus. It’s just after reset so the conversation is lively.

Someone comes in and in all caps posts: Darth Vader is Luke’s Father.

I’d say that’s pretty obvious someone trying to grief others.

Then there’s the ones who post the spoilers in LFG descriptions. Those guys are griefing and misusing the LFG.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

The movie has been out, can’t believe this is seriously a thing at all…

Minimize chat or ignore… Geez

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Serophous.9085

Hey, you agreed to the ToS and basically signed it away. Its not the govt nor anets fault you didnt read

Please point me where ToS says you cant spoil movies etc.

Gaile already answered all of this. Spoiling current movies is for malicious intent and griefing. If you wnat to talk to someone about the movie, then why not take it to a whisper, why do it over a map chat? Why are you spoiling the movie now? Its not to benefit, its to harm, hence violation of ToS.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

There is a pretty obvious and distinct difference between people having a conversation about a movie and someone intentionally spouting spoilers. This thread is directed at the latter. Some of those arguing against the OP have demonstrated the accuracy of his point.

Serophous.9085

Wonder if I’m allowed to go into LA and talk about Avatar, Creed, X-Men, or any other movie. Ever. Perhaps you lot should sit down together with ArenaNet and set the rules for what movies people are allowed to talk about. Hmm?

That sounds like a very fun and relaxing environment indeed.

Again, in the thread before its stated by recent movies, and that CS would take a look at all reports. Gaile even did spoilers of old movies that have been out for years.

Again, its like we are having a refight over a thread that settled this awhile ago.

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Gaile already answered all of this. Spoiling current movies is for malicious intent and griefing. If you wnat to talk to someone about the movie, then why not take it to a whisper, why do it over a map chat? Why are you spoiling the movie now? Its not to benefit, its to harm, hence violation of ToS.

Check, idc what Gaile said as that was her personal opinion only. Noone asked for bans when GoT, Hobbit or other movies/books was being spoiled all over the place but i guess SW fans are some freaks that will go qq into a corner once someone spoil a minor thing about their junk movie. If you dont want something spoiled then you simply dont log in or you know..select that option in picture.. There are also people that saw this movie already and discussed it in map chat, but for someone else it may be spoiling. It is called chat for a reason. I can say in chat whatever i want as long its not directed to x player with some !@#$%^ words insulting him.

Movies/books has nothing to do with GW at all and that thing shouldnt be even discussed here. If spoilers are so scary to you then maybe its time to start avoiding mmos and other social medias? You are the one that is supposed to protect yourself from spoilers and if you cant do that then..tough luck.

Attachments:

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

Posted by: Berry Pun Pup.6904

Berry Pun Pup.6904

I’m glad this thread is back. It was very worthwhile the first time and is not a total waste of bandwidth and time.

Close, lock, ban everyone who posted (especially me).

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Right click name —> block. Is that so hard you even have to make a topic for this? Whats next, complaining about someone who tells you how the new hamburger from McFat taste like?

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Ashen.2907

Check, idc what Gaile said as that was her personal opinion only. Noone asked for bans when GoT, Hobbit or other movies/books was being spoiled all over the place but i guess SW fans are some freaks that will go qq into a corner once someone spoil a minor thing about their junk movie. If you dont want something spoiled then you simply dont log in or you know..select that option in picture.. There are also people that saw this movie already and discussed it in map chat, but for someone else it may be spoiling. It is called chat for a reason. I can say in chat whatever i want as long its not directed to x player with some !@#$%^ words insulting him.

Movies/books has nothing to do with GW at all and that thing shouldnt be even discussed here. If spoilers are so scary to you then maybe its time to start avoiding mmos and other social medias? You are the one that is supposed to protect yourself from spoilers and if you cant do that then..tough luck.

Something should not be discussed here because they have nothing to do with GW2, but you can say whatever you want?

You are mistaken about what is and is not allowed. A representative of the company, speaking on its behalf, set the standard.

Again, there is a huge difference between a conversation about the movie and just spouting spoilers.

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Something should not be discussed here because they have nothing to do with GW2, but you can say whatever you want?

You are mistaken about what is and is not allowed. A representative of the company, speaking on its behalf, set the standard.

Again, there is a huge difference between a conversation about the movie and just spouting spoilers.

You should see a difference between chat ingame and forum. This forum is called “Guild Wars 2 Discussion” not " Mommy, Someone Spoiled My Movie". So yes, it should be deleted as it has nothing to do with gw2.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

Ashen.2907

You should see a difference between chat ingame and forum. This forum is called “Guild Wars 2 Discussion” not " Mommy, Someone Spoiled My Movie". So yes, it should be deleted as it has nothing to do with gw2.

And the game is called GW2, not Star Wars Discussion, so, by your logic, those spoilers shouldnt be mentioned in game.

Seriously, the movie was garbage, why would one want to waste any more time on it than was already spent in the theater?

Posted by: Tiny Tove.3589

Tiny Tove.3589

1.) Why is spoiling star wars so bad? Nobody gets banned for spoiling any other film.
2.) Why is “spoiling” films actually spoiling anything?
3.) Why are you so afraid that JJ Abrams ever intends to do anything new that you want to avoid risking spoiling it? He’s a one trick pony. And yeah, he only likes teenagers, so you can pretty much kiss any old actors good bye. He won’t let another Leonard Nimoy catch him out by dying on him.

Posted by: woofie.5603

woofie.5603

Well so you all know, this player was not discussing the movie. He was purposefully spoiling the twist to upset players. He enjoys the pain of others, so he trolls. Nothing you say can change his mind, or make him feel regret. The only thing we can do is ask that Anet remove people like this from the game.

That said, the internet is not supposed to be a “safe space.” Neither is GW2. People should be discussing conflicting opinions, current events, controversy etc. These all serve vital functions in our society and the pursuit of knowledge.

Learning the twist of a much anticipated movie and attempting the ruin the experience for others should be punished. People discuss movies, people accidentally blurt out spoilers. Each case should be judged independently.

But going from map to map just to say “x dies” and leaving should be a suspension or a ban. People have been waiting for 30 years for a good star wars movie. And force awakens is great.

All the people who are defending this action are obvious trolls and should be ignored, but to the people here who care about people other than themselves, ask arena net for a response.

Posted by: Nihevil.8024

Nihevil.8024

Stop whining, it’s the internet. Stuff is going to get spoiled, if you’re so worried about getting x spoiled stay off the internet until you see/read it yourself. Punishing someone for “spoiling” something for you is ridiculous even if they are intentionally doing it, and you need to stop being so PC or stay off the internet. boohoo

Elitism in Guild Wars 2. http://i.imgur.com/ZGnzBCI.gif