Interesting community reactions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Previous system:

Acquire skin once to apply it once, collect skin again if you want to apply it again.

New System:

Acquire skin once, apply it as many times a you want.

Nothing else about the system changes, then again, I’ve the feeling that a lot of people who speculated that such a system change was going to happen partially just assumed the transmutation crystal thing and the costs would disappear or be greatly diminished..

It appears that another change is all those transmutation stones that are useless to level 80 characters are now useful again. We can now use all those gems that were going to buy bank space on transmutation stones if we want.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

I really can’t believe all the people that want the wardrobe to be free. Really so you get the skin once and can use it when ever you want free of charge? How do you think this game is paid for? You do not pay monthly, you do not have to pay for the April 15th patch. Really I think you just want a game you log into, gets updated when ever you want but then you also get every single thing in the game. Just for the heads up the people that do the updating would like to get paid for the work they do.

Just do some thinking before screaming greedy company.

The evolution of NA society.

Where profit for a company becomes a bad thing.

Sighs…..

Capitalist system says profit for a company should be obtained by offering you the best services at the cheapest prices. No consumer is supposed to celebrate the profit of a company unless they feel the company is offering them a satisfying deal. Many people arent satisfied with this deal when they actually look closely at it.

Then free market kicks in and you have other options for value aka play another title.

The opinion is people want this for free – which is unrealistic but something that is continually hammered into people with all this liberal media.

Nothing is free.

GW2 requires a profit to stay running.

unlock per transmutation stone isnt free. It actually probably would lead to an increase in transmutation stones spent, because like they said, 2000 armor pieces or something. When this change hits, im still going to be hoarding my transmutation stones, i will use some on transmuting legendary looks. If it was unlocks i would spend a lot or all of them and want more, i would also start hunting gears i may only use sometimes.

Unlock is a better system for a fashion system. It gives people reasons to buy lots and lots of clothes, instead of just one.

Its not about free, its about having a more logical and appealing system that reinforces in game goals, and playing the game more.

i believe they will make more money of an unlock system than a rental system, because i believe a rental system is not the way people prefer to deal with fashion.

Rental systems are always more profitable over the course of time vs purchase/unlock systems.

Also, You may not prefer this – quite frankly your preference nor mine will have any impact.

Anet is using this system and we will have to see how it plays out.

no rental systems are not always profitable, in fact they are anti profit if you are the creator of the goods, because you make money from people getting lots of different clothes. Rental systems are profitable for people distributing the clothes. because they have limited inventory (not a problem for anet) and pay for each purchase of the clothes (not a problem for anet)
Right now, every garment in the game competes with every other garment for value of transmutation.

every new armor competes with every old armor, you can only have 1. in an unlock system you can catch em all. And the people who can create new armor profit most in that system.

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

At this point of the game’s life, people are already satisfied with their looks. They will only change when new armors or weapons are released.

In my example, I am already satisfied with human T3 cultural armor. Paying a high premium for unlocked skins I would rarely use is an inferior option to paying the 18 or so gold needed for just a single use skin that I would wear for a long time.

Posted by: Arisal.9740

Arisal.9740

Many people arent satisfied with this deal when they actually look closely at it.

Yes because many of those people are of the, “Make everything ever free for me forever or Anet is greedy,” mindset.

I think a lot (not saying majority, just a lot) of people would just prefer an unlocking system to a rental system. I’d rather pay more crystals 1 time to get the functionality to be like the achievement panel. I’d be willing to actually buy gems to get crystals for this type of feature also. But I’m not interested in a system where every time the same skin is used from the wardrobe to replace a different one, it costs.

That is just it! I will gladly pay even 5 charges per item unlimited unlock. The current system basically discourages me from spending money on gems to buy the charges because it is temporary.

They should really do the best of both worlds. Spend 1 charge for temp (current wardrobe) or spend X charges for unlimited. Anet gets our money both ways. Everyone wins.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Permanent unlocks would be nice but there don’t appear to be any indication this will ever be possible.

Posted by: Liraz.8062

Liraz.8062

This post pretty accurately summarizes my concerns:

Here are the people who are kittened off by the change so far:
-people who like to mix-match town clothes

As someone that has purchased a lot from the gem store in the way of town clothes, I am concerned about what will happen with my purchased items going forward. Given the nature of these items, I think ANet should have considered their effect a little more carefully.

That said, I am 90% thrilled with everything else in the update, and believe it is overall a great change for the game.

Firstwatch Irregular Company – RP, Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Clear.8512

Clear.8512

I think the majority are happy, but like most things. It is new so you post that hey I like this and then you are said and no. There is nothing to discuss you move on.

People who are not happy want to debate and force change so there will be more posts.
Then you just have idiots who read the first sentence or read a negative topic and without any research of their own take a side and whine and drown legitimate complaints.

Posted by: Moshari.8570

Moshari.8570

I really can’t believe all the people that want the wardrobe to be free. Really so you get the skin once and can use it when ever you want free of charge? How do you think this game is paid for? You do not pay monthly, you do not have to pay for the April 15th patch. Really I think you just want a game you log into, gets updated when ever you want but then you also get every single thing in the game. Just for the heads up the people that do the updating would like to get paid for the work they do.

The evolution of NA society.

Where profit for a company becomes a bad thing.

Sighs…..

Capitalist system says profit for a company should be obtained by offering you the best services at the cheapest prices. No consumer is supposed to celebrate the profit of a company unless they feel the company is offering them a satisfying deal. Many people arent satisfied with this deal when they actually look closely at it.

Then free market kicks in and you have other options for value aka play another title.

The opinion is people want this for free – which is unrealistic but something that is continually hammered into people with all this liberal media.

Nothing is free.

GW2 requires a profit to stay running.

unlock per transmutation stone isnt free. It actually probably would lead to an increase in transmutation stones spent, because like they said, 2000 armor pieces or something. When this change hits, im still going to be hoarding my transmutation stones, i will use some on transmuting legendary looks. If it was unlocks i would spend a lot or all of them and want more, i would also start hunting gears i may only use sometimes.

Unlock is a better system for a fashion system. It gives people reasons to buy lots and lots of clothes, instead of just one.

Its not about free, its about having a more logical and appealing system that reinforces in game goals, and playing the game more.

i believe they will make more money of an unlock system than a rental system, because i believe a rental system is not the way people prefer to deal with fashion.

Except as you said, there are 2000 looks in the game….once you “unlocked” all of those, you would be done, you would never unlock another. So in the short term…you are correct, they would probably see more transmutation shards used in an “unlock” scenerio since everyone would rush to unlock as many skins as they could….but they are not thinking short term….they are thinking long term….somewhere, someone did an analysis and it probably looked something like this:

A: If we make them “unlocks” then there will be an initial rush of people gathering and unlocking tons of skins….not everyone….but some people. The rest already have a look they are interested in and as such are not going to change it or rish out to unlock tons more…in the long term the “rush” people will unlock every skin and the only way to make further money off of them is by making more “gem store” skins for them…which they will only use a single shard to unlock and then be done with until the next one comes….all their characters, for ever will have every skin.

B: Meanwhile: if we make it a “per use” shard item…then yes, there will be no initial rush of every running out to unlock their items…but if we make a really cool gemstore item, we will get everyone to use shards to transmute to it, across multiple characters. Also, when people create new characters, they will have to use shards again on those…and particularly if we make some new armors that look really good with parts of the older armors…we can entice people to buy new armor, as well as use shards to transmute old armor…across multiple characters again.

The calculation came out: B is greater cash flow for the company than A….so they went B.

I guarantee they thought this through…they have accountants on staff who’s whole job is to monetize anything they introduce into the game (development time must = more cash or it won’t be done).

phys.7689

At this point of the game’s life, people are already satisfied with their looks. They will only change when new armors or weapons are released.

In my example, I am already satisfied with human T3 cultural armor. Paying a high premium for unlocked skins I would rarely use is an inferior option to paying the 18 or so gold needed for just a single use skin that I would wear for a long time.

in your example nothing could make you spend gems at all no matter what is what your saying. And if you did decide to unlock it on another charachter the cost would be exactly the same.

But i think many others would unlock some different looks, for when they are feeling like being silly, or super tough, or this is my look like a crazy guy set, when they definately wont if the barrier to entry, and reentry is 10 gold every time.

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

It’s always nice to take everything with healthy suspicion and expectations.

I’m glad we’re getting a wardrobe, because it means I can free up space from my bank (transmutation stones, and excess skins). It lets me play collector (get every skin!). It means that I don’t have to do Arah again for my second Elementalist’s look. I can pull it from my current Necromancer, as she has the parts I want already. It means I can have my current three legendary skins on my other characters.

I probably won’t be using it to constantly change looks, as when I created a character and finalized their gear, I had a set look in mind for them. To me, this wardrobe is convenience. The option is there if I want it. The charge pricing hasn’t been released yet, but it’s like a repository for all the skins, and if I want to use it, I can just go to that repository to bring it back up.

However, I’m concerned about the fact you won’t be able to mix and match town clothes (from what I’ve read). That’s where town clothes excelled, and there were a lot of unique combinations from that, just like armor.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

phys.7689

Except as you said, there are 2000 looks in the game….once you “unlocked” all of those, you would be done, you would never unlock another. So in the short term…you are correct, they would probably see more transmutation shards used in an “unlock” scenerio since everyone would rush to unlock as many skins as they could….but they are not thinking short term….they are thinking long term….somewhere, someone did an analysis and it probably looked something like this:

A: If we make them “unlocks” then there will be an initial rush of people gathering and unlocking tons of skins….not everyone….but some people. The rest already have a look they are interested in and as such are not going to change it or rish out to unlock tons more…in the long term the “rush” people will unlock every skin and the only way to make further money off of them is by making more “gem store” skins for them…which they will only use a single shard to unlock and then be done with until the next one comes….all their characters, for ever will have every skin.

B: Meanwhile: if we make it a “per use” shard item…then yes, there will be no initial rush of every running out to unlock their items…but if we make a really cool gemstore item, we will get everyone to use shards to transmute to it, across multiple characters. Also, when people create new characters, they will have to use shards again on those…and particularly if we make some new armors that look really good with parts of the older armors…we can entice people to buy new armor, as well as use shards to transmute old armor…across multiple characters again.

The calculation came out: B is greater cash flow for the company than A….so they went B.

I guarantee they thought this through…they have accountants on staff who’s whole job is to monetize anything they introduce into the game (development time must = more cash or it won’t be done).

i have played the game for 1.5 years, i havent changed my armor looks via transmutation on average maybe once per charachter. it will be a long, long time probably never before they get 2000 gems off me. they probably have only gotten like 25 off me in a year.
if it was unlocks i would have probably used every stone i have, and would probably be either buying, or trading gold for some others. I would also be more into hunting new looks, and probably trying to get mystic forge recipe gears, that i currently have no reason to get, because i already have a look thats good enough for most things.

the system is not as profitable, and its not as useful for promoting obtaining new looks in game. Its just not a good way to sell clothes if you are the clothes creator.

the main difference with rental, is that you pay every day, rental where they only pay when they change looks cannot compare in profit or user desire to obtain new looks, with paying everytime you change looks.

the current and new systems discourage getting multiple looks, when anet is in the business of selling multiple looks. Its a bad business model.

as for the accountants, just because you have people doesnt mean they have the best solutions, they are taking the safe way. They know the numbers on how many people transmute, under current system, but they arent sure how many would transmute under unlock system. They are going with what they know, instead of what is most profitable. There are a few people who transmute often, and they will lose some of their money, but from what almost everyone here is saying they are the vast minority, most people choose one look and stick to it. I believe a big part of that is because everytime you switch looks, the game takes money from you. The most effecient way is to play is not to change looks. With unlocks, there becomes a new effecient way to have multiple looks, which equals more sales for anet, and more an increase in interest for obtaining cosmetics in game, which increases game life, and keeps players engaged.

phys.7689

I’m glad we’re getting a wardrobe, because it means I can free up space from my bank (transmutation stones, and excess skins). It lets me play collector (get every skin!). It means that I don’t have to do Arah again for my second Elementalist’s look. I can pull it from my current Necromancer, as she has the parts I want already. It means I can have my current three legendary skins on my other characters.

I probably won’t be using it to constantly change looks, as when I created a character and finalized their gear, I had a set look in mind for them. To me, this wardrobe is convenience. The option is there if I want it. The charge pricing hasn’t been released yet, but it’s like a repository for all the skins, and if I want to use it, I can just go to that repository to bring it back up.

However, I’m concerned about the fact you won’t be able to mix and match town clothes (from what I’ve read). That’s where town clothes excelled, and there were a lot of unique combinations from that, just like armor.

now what if there becomes some new gear, that fits your charachters style, but only some of the time, lets say its something he/she would only wear in special occaisons, under the current system, and the new one you probably wouldnt bother, because you ll have to pay 12 gold to switch, and 12 gold when you switch back. But under an unlock system you would pay the 12 gold once, and anytime it felt approriate to wear that armor you would switch to it.

congratualtions anet, you just made 12 more gold which translates into 1.75 roughly than they would make otherwise.

Posted by: LyricDawnhagen.7803

LyricDawnhagen.7803

Folks, you do not need transformation crystals to “unlock” a skin for your account to use. That is just ONE way of adding the skin to your collection.

From the blog post:
For the Wardrobe, we’ve changed skins to an account-wide unlock system. Skins can be unlocked by using consumables, equipping items, salvaging equipment, or right-clicking on equipment and account-binding it. Items that you acquire that are already bound to your account automatically unlock their skin when they go into your inventory. Unlocked skins can be applied to items infinitely (for just one Transmutation Charge), which makes it much less stressful to try out a new look for your character, since you can always switch back!

Bold added to point out the relevant portions.
Source: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-wardrobe-system/

Once you do ANY of these actions on a piece of armor or weapon, it is forever part of your collection and that skin can be used on other characters (any number of time) for the cost of a transformation charge each time you apply the skin to a piece of gear. You will start off with all of the gear you currently have equipped as unlocked for your entire account.

While I would have loved having multiple full wardrobes that you could switch to with a hot key, this is by far better than what we currently have and does NOT preclude the possibility of full wardrobes being added at a later date. This is a huge step in the right direction for appearance handling. I cannot see a single drawback with this system over what we have NOW. It shows that ArenaNet is working on new stuff for us and I have to say I love it.

phys.7689

Folks, you do not need transformation crystals to “unlock” a skin for your account to use. That is just ONE way of adding the skin to your collection.

From the blog post:
For the Wardrobe, we’ve changed skins to an account-wide unlock system. Skins can be unlocked by using consumables, equipping items, salvaging equipment, or right-clicking on equipment and account-binding it. Items that you acquire that are already bound to your account automatically unlock their skin when they go into your inventory. Unlocked skins can be applied to items infinitely (for just one Transmutation Charge), which makes it much less stressful to try out a new look for your character, since you can always switch back!

Once you do ANY of these actions on a piece of armor or weapon, it is forever part of your collection and that skin can be used on other characters (any number of time) for the cost of a transformation charge each time you apply the skin to a piece of gear. You will start off with all of the gear you currently have equipped as unlocked for your entire account.

While I would have loved having multiple full wardrobes that you could switch to with a hot key, this is by far better than what we currently have and does NOT preclude the possibility of full wardrobes being added at a later date. This is a huge step in the right direction for appearance handling. I cannot see a single drawback with this system over what we have NOW. It shows that ArenaNet is working on new stuff for us and I have to say I love it.

inccorect, unlocking the item makes it available for using the charges. So you will have to obtain the item, then use the charges anytime you want to change your looks. Essentially the system cleans up item destroying, and makes it easier to browse items you owned at one time.
Its a better version of the current system, but the current system isnt that good and works against using transmutation stones often, (most people save these) and against obtaining multiple peices of gear.

Posted by: Aisina.4963

Aisina.4963

My first reaction was to explode with elation too tbh
Many things were shouted like “AHHH * insert expensive skins here * ON EVERYTHING!”
Suddenly felt like the gold I spent on things like Halloween skins I was too lazy to get at the time and promptly regretted, was well spent. Now all of my Necromancers can have a Scythe for example and it wont constantly kill me that I had to choose between them.

Then I sat down with my takeaway pizza and thought about it. I realised that while I was effectively saving money in some areas, I was losing it in others. My addiction to T3 Asura Light Armour had proven to be my downfall, as I bought a new set each time my Elementalist changed build. I wondered if I’d ever see that money again, and doubted it, and it made me a bit meh.

Then I wondered if my GW2 town clothes tshirt was going to be in the locker, would I finally get to share that out?! Im now staring at my pizza box trying to decide if I should let myself hope and be excited. I’ve been hopping in my seat so many times before, only to be let down, and it does make me wary of getting invested in it.

Also, account bound dyes – annoying on some points where there are expensive dyes duplicated. But on the other hand, the Abyss dye i accidentally used on my elementalist thats never seen the light of day, might now get some use!

I think it comes down to trust. If this next month goes well, ANet is back on track to earning my trust as a player and paying consumer. But until then I’ll keep on being wary, and maybe finish my pizza ^.^

Aisi~

S/F Asuran Elementalist

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

My first reaction was to explode with elation too tbh
Many things were shouted like “AHHH * insert expensive skins here * ON EVERYTHING!”
Suddenly felt like the gold I spent on things like Halloween skins I was too lazy to get at the time and promptly regretted, was well spent. Now all of my Necromancers can have a Scythe for example and it wont constantly kill me that I had to choose between them.

Then I sat down with my takeaway pizza and thought about it. I realised that while I was effectively saving money in some areas, I was losing it in others. My addiction to T3 Asura Light Armour had proven to be my downfall, as I bought a new set each time my Elementalist changed build. I wondered if I’d ever see that money again, and doubted it, and it made me a bit meh.

Then I wondered if my GW2 town clothes tshirt was going to be in the locker, would I finally get to share that out?! Im now staring at my pizza box trying to decide if I should let myself hope and be excited. I’ve been hopping in my seat so many times before, only to be let down, and it does make me wary of getting invested in it.

Also, account bound dyes – annoying on some points where there are expensive dyes duplicated. But on the other hand, the Abyss dye i accidentally used on my elementalist thats never seen the light of day, might now get some use!

I think it comes down to trust. If this next month goes well, ANet is back on track to earning my trust as a player and paying consumer. But until then I’ll keep on being wary, and maybe finish my pizza ^.^

Aisi~

Well… now I’m going to have to get pizza for dinner.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

WoW have had forums full of flaming for 10 years now. If you would follow the forums of Blizzard, the company is apparently closed, there is no players, no devs and the servers are offline…none knows about it though, it is a secret.

Same thing here. 99% of MMO communities are trash, from WoW to MMORPG.com to GW2. People argue, hiding behind ‘’I am critical, I want to improve the game’’, ending up hating on every aspect, simply because every aspect can be hated in everything in life if you want it that way.

Posted by: Bioanian.7016

Bioanian.7016

I was excited untill I heard the very vague and confusing direction they are taking with the towns clothes. It sounds like customizable freedom are being taken away from us. Whats the point of Towns clothes if you are not free to mix and match and create a personal style from separate pieces? Unless if there is something they are not telling us. I am actually dreding april now.

Posted by: Arisal.9740

Arisal.9740

From the blog post:

inccorect, unlocking the item makes it available for using the charges. So you will have to obtain the item, then use the charges anytime you want to change your looks. Essentially the system cleans up item destroying, and makes it easier to browse items you owned at one time.
Its a better version of the current system, but the current system isnt that good and works against using transmutation stones often, (most people save these) and against obtaining multiple peices of gear.

This guys gets it. Why does everyone here like temporary(rent) vs permanent(buy)? I don’t get it… I would rather buy the skin in the gem store than to spend money on a KEY to open a chest with the small chance of getting the SKIN I really want!

Again this wardrobe thing is good but it could be even better! I am not against it just wish we had more freedom. Basically it means I horde my charges vs actually using them.

League of Legends analogy. Would you rather buy the champion you want or spend a smaller price to rent them? Nothing wrong with renting but give us the option to do both

Posted by: Fenrina.2954

Fenrina.2954

and maybe finish my pizza ^.^

Never let good pizza go to waste. 0:)

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

now what if there becomes some new gear, that fits your charachters style, but only some of the time, lets say its something he/she would only wear in special occaisons, under the current system, and the new one you probably wouldnt bother, because you ll have to pay 12 gold to switch, and 12 gold when you switch back. But under an unlock system you would pay the 12 gold once, and anytime it felt approriate to wear that armor you would switch to it.

congratualtions anet, you just made 12 more gold which translates into 1.75 roughly than they would make otherwise.

Not everyone has the same reasoning and behavior. I’m sure ANet has considered both, and went with the more profitable option (which I don’t blame them for).

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

phys.7689

Not everyone has the same reasoning and behavior. I’m sure ANet has considered both, and went with the more profitable option (which I don’t blame them for).

I highly doubt its the more profitable system, or else more clothes or fashion items would have a similar model irl. Even comparing it to rentals, rentals charge you per day, not when you change gears. I forsee a quick spike of transmutation sales, maybe a modest increase. But overall once people see the system, they will stay in one gear forever just like they do now, and the far majority will sit on transmutation stones, and rarely change the decided looks of a charachter.

But eh well no one believes me, anet put all that development time, and unlocks would have made them so much more money.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Will I have to use charges every time I want to change look in pvp? If so, than I hate this change. Right now it’s free.

PvP will remain the same I’m sure.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Draknar.5748

This is a complete improvement over the current system. You will never have to destroy an item again, plus the non-80 xmute stones will convert 3 to 1 charge, versus now where they are pretty much useless if you have level 80 gear.

Plus, you guys do realize, that it is only inevitable that they will add a gem-store purchase for unlimited xmute charges. Anet knows whats up when it comes to making money.

Posted by: Angelic.1365

Angelic.1365

I’ve run Fractals multiple times a day almost every day since it was released in order to gear out all my characters in weapon skins. This patch diminishes the value of those skins to a point where the hundreds of hours i put in to acquire them are now meaningless. As soon as i realized this my tune changed.

They have also removed the incentive to run a dungeon after you have all the skins you want. I already have all the skins i want on some characters but now i guess i have them on all.

Posted by: Blade Syphon.4325

Blade Syphon.4325

Or..perhaps you should do some research on games outside of GW2?

I’ve said in another topic that there are plenty of Free to Play games that offer a Wardrobe system like GW2 without charging free players a dime to use it outside of in-game currency.

Why is it okay for GW2, than, to do something like this? Why do they get a free pass? People are upset because this is a system that is free in nearly every other game out there, including Free to Play titles.

Hell, Diablo 3’s expansion launched with a system that’s almost identical to GW2’s, and it doesn’t cost anything other than in-game gold to use. Remind me again why GW2 feels it’s okay to charge people for a feature that should be free?

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I realized it changes nothing. The cost is still per use. Nothing changed except the user interface and some phrasing. People are going to use the same amount of ‘pay to make a change’ transmutation charges that they did for ‘pay to make a change’ transmutation crystals.

It saves me about 200 inventory slots. That changes a lot for me!

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

mtpelion.4562

I’ve said in another topic that there are plenty of Free to Play games that offer a Wardrobe system like GW2 without charging free players a dime to use it outside of in-game currency.

Why is it okay for GW2, than, to do something like this? Why do they get a free pass? People are upset because this is a system that is free in nearly every other game out there, including Free to Play titles.

Hell, Diablo 3’s expansion launched with a system that’s almost identical to GW2’s, and it doesn’t cost anything other than in-game gold to use. Remind me again why GW2 feels it’s okay to charge people for a feature that should be free?

Because they charge for other things. Every game has a different approach for monetization. This is the route GW2 took. Nothing is changing here.

nGumball.1283

Because those game’s are about gear and that’s what they are focus on while GW2 is focused on skins. Also, 99% of the MMOs with a gemshop are pay to win, it doesn’t matter if you can use a skin freely when important progression items should only be bought from the cash-shops.

Posted by: Blade Syphon.4325

Blade Syphon.4325

Because they charge for other things. Every game has a different approach for monetization. This is the route GW2 took. Nothing is changing here.

And…somehow that makes it okay? I’m not really following what you’re saying.

Diablo 3 charges nothing now outside of the price for entry, and it’s doing just fine. Enmasse and Tera charge, quite literally, only for cosmetics or EXP boosts. You can buy really fancy looking weapon skins and armor skins, not unlike the system GW2 already has, yet it costs nothing in game for you to transmog armor that’s available to you in game.

It’s fine that Anet wants to make money off the Gemstore, there’s nothing wrong with that. What is wrong, however, is charging for a feature many people desire to use.

Anet could just as easily make a profit by selling purely cosmetic skins, character boosts, bank and inventory slot expansions, and the like, things that aren’t going to really make or break a persons’ enjoyment of the game, instead of locking something like the Wardrobe system behind a pay gate.

I think what people seem to be misunderstanding from the complaints to this system is that Anet is monetizing the wrong thing for their consumers. It’s great you’re unlocking all these awesome skins, but it’s too bad you can’t use them without paying Gems, or paying an increasing amount of gold to convert into Gems.

Remember that GW2 was supposed to be a game that wasn’t going to have features locked behind the Gem Store, and was going to simply offer cosmetic and character boosts through it. How quickly that’s changed.

I’m starting to worry people on these forums, and in game, would defend Anet if they started charging Living Story updates through the Gem Store as well.

Posted by: The Revenant.4970

The Revenant.4970

To answer your question OP. It’s simple Mob Mentality.

People are sheep brained and are easily influenced by internet posts. You see it everywhere, not just here.

They actually did a study on it and it found that internet comments HEAVILY influenced opinion, now matter how kitten-poor they were.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

HAPPY DAY!!! I can use my Ghastly Grinning Shield Skin on my ALTS!!!!!

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

nGumball.1283

Diablo 3 charges nothing now outside of the price for entry, and it’s doing just fine. Enmasse and Tera charge, quite literally, only for cosmetics or EXP boosts. You can buy really fancy looking weapon skins and armor skins, not unlike the system GW2 already has, yet it costs nothing in game for you to transmog armor that’s available to you in game.

It’s fine that Anet wants to make money off the Gemstore, there’s nothing wrong with that. What is wrong, however, is charging for a feature many people desire to use.

Anet could just as easily make a profit by selling purely cosmetic skins, character boosts, bank and inventory slot expansions, and the like, things that aren’t going to really make or break a persons’ enjoyment of the game, instead of locking something like the Wardrobe system behind a pay gate.

I think what people seem to be misunderstanding from the complaints to this system is that Anet is monetizing the wrong thing for their consumers. It’s great you’re unlocking all these awesome skins, but it’s too bad you can’t use them without paying Gems, or paying an increasing amount of gold to convert into Gems.

Remember that GW2 was supposed to be a game that wasn’t going to have features locked behind the Gem Store, and was going to simply offer cosmetic and character boosts through it. How quickly that’s changed.

I’m starting to worry people on these forums, and in game, would defend Anet if they started charging Living Story updates through the Gem Store as well.

Write mmorpg on google, perhaps you will learn some facts thatt you can use instead of inaccurate information.

The Revenant.4970

The transmutation requirement is no different than it was from Day 1. You aren’t meant to change your looks on a whim every day. You find what you like and you go with it. The game naturally gives you enough stones to do that without ever having to purchase them. I have like 90 <80 lvl stones and 30 lvl 80 stones just sitting in my bank.

You’d have an argument, maybe, if they didn’t GIVE you the stones for free, all the kitten time.

Draknar.5748

I’ve run Fractals multiple times a day almost every day since it was released in order to gear out all my characters in weapon skins. This patch diminishes the value of those skins to a point where the hundreds of hours i put in to acquire them are now meaningless. As soon as i realized this my tune changed.

They have also removed the incentive to run a dungeon after you have all the skins you want. I already have all the skins i want on some characters but now i guess i have them on all.

Actually, it’s adding more incentive for people who have not run some dungeons to run them now to satisfy the completionist inside of them.

If you’ve run a dungeon and have unlocked the skins for all three armor types, then your only remaining incentive is to do it for $$, which is what most dungeon runners do anyway. But that’s a LOT of runs to unlock ALL of the skins.

mtpelion.4562

If you charge money for a purely cosmetic feature that no people desire to use you won’t make any money.

That is exactly what this is. A simplified view of purely cosmetic skins that they are selling to you for money.

Nothing is locked behind the pay wall other than cosmetic and convenience items… and that’s assuming you are of the belief that there even IS a pay wall (since we have the option to convert gold into gems).

There might be some people. I wouldn’t mind. That would give me an excuse to avoid doing the Living Story :P

Draknar.5748

You realize that nothing has changed from the system, except now your non-80 xmute stones will count towards level 80 gear (albeit at a 3-to-1), right? Other than that, what has changed about xmute stones other than being called charges?

And for the record, if you can convert in-game gold you’ve farmed into gems to purchase xmute charges, then it is not a requirement to purchase anything. You can get all of the xmute stones/charges and anything else you want on the gem store just by playing the game without additional purchases just like your precious Diablo III. I do hope you realize this. Please god realize this. Otherwise you fail at GW2.

phys.7689

To answer your question OP. It’s simple Mob Mentality.

People are sheep brained and are easily influenced by internet posts. You see it everywhere, not just here.

They actually did a study on it and it found that internet comments HEAVILY influenced opinion, now matter how kitten-poor they were.

or perhaps they used their brains and make decsions on their own?
fact is, while the wardrobe is an improvement on the current system, it still will not increase transmutation value much, and it wont increase desire to chase multiple looks much.
I got a legendary dagger now, some times i get tired of it, i would spend gems/stonesto unlock a new lock, but i would not spend gems/stones to change the look, knowing i will have to pay again when i switch back. If the item i was going to use was 5 gold, i would be spending 10 gold switching it and switching back.

Essentially it will still discourage changing looks, though not quite as much, which makes every gear related peice of art anet creates less valuable.

I mean they are going to do what they want, but its not as profitable, doesnt improve cosmetic hunting in game and will make things line up pretty similarly to what we have now, which is not condusive to making cosmetics valuable.

phys.7689

You realize that nothing has changed from the system, except now your non-80 xmute stones will count towards level 80 gear (albeit at a 3-to-1), right? Other than that, what has changed about xmute stones other than being called charges?

And for the record, if you can convert in-game gold you’ve farmed into gems to purchase xmute charges, then it is not a requirement to purchase anything. You can get all of the xmute stones/charges and anything else you want on the gem store just by playing the game without additional purchases just like your precious Diablo III. I do hope you realize this. Please god realize this. Otherwise you fail at GW2.

exactly the point, nothing has changed and the old system had everyone sitting on transmutation stones, and people never changing their gear, and choosing only one look per charachter, which is very bad for a game that wants horizontal progression through cosmetics.
there is no horizontal progression or vertical progression with this system.

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

I was pretty excited at first.

Then I re-read the blog post.
Then I read it a third time for clarification.

Then I read some posts that pointed out things I didn’t initially think of.

Then I spent some time thinking about how this change affects me and the people I play with.

I realized it changes nothing. The cost is still per use. Nothing changed except the user interface and some phrasing. People are going to use the same amount of ‘pay to make a change’ transmutation charges that they did for ‘pay to make a change’ transmutation crystals.

Pay per use is pay per use no matter the UI. This only really helps some people free up some bank space.

I believe I would feel differently if it were a pay to unlock and usage was free system.

Actually its a major change, not only to the UI but to your time and money as well. You don’t have to go out and spend months getting a second bolt anymore if you just want it for looks. You can simply use a trasmuted charge and get a second bolt in a couple seconds. That’s a huge change if you haven’t been reading the forums about people who made a second one complaining about it.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

[…]

Plus, you guys do realize, that it is only inevitable that they will add a gem-store purchase for unlimited xmute charges. Anet knows whats up when it comes to making money.

If they ever add an unlimited charge consumable, it’ll probably be in the stupid RNG chest, like with the unlimited makeover kit.

And if it was a consumable that can be used on a single skin, it’ll probably be prohibitively expensive. Like 600-800 gems for 5 skins.

If I like a skin so much that I want to unlock it permanently, I want to do it by paying directly for it, but paying reasonably, not freaking 10€ for something that should have a 0.99-2.99 skin DLC price.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Aisina.4963

Aisina.4963

I love that the most important highlight of my previous post was my pizza consumption! ^.^

Anyway,
I just realised I can use my fused weapons on other characters too. This tipped me over the edge back into elation. Literally sat in my chair, flapped my arms, and squealed as my boyfriend sat there in horror.

Also, expensive/one time use back items! In fact I think I would be flapping and squealing just for back items.

So back on topic to thread… Even though as a player this makes me “lose out” maybe 400-500g on duplicate items, I think I gain it back in other ways (Halloween skins, Ticket skins, back items) ~ The initial fluctuation in response to the announcement seems normal if you skim off the usual amount of doom and gloom ^.^

(However, if ANet feels charitable and wishes to give me back that gold I’m effectively losing out on , Imma not say no. Mmmm. Haha)

Aisi ~

S/F Asuran Elementalist

The Revenant.4970

exactly the point, nothing has changed and the old system had everyone sitting on transmutation stones, and people never changing their gear, and choosing only one look per charachter, which is very bad for a game that wants horizontal progression through cosmetics.

I will definitely be applying certain skins onto multiple characters, of which I couldn’t do before without having multiple source skins.
….and when they come out with some new, cool looking stuff, then i’ll buy it and apply it as desired.

It’s a system just like DCUO’s except with the transmutation stone requirement (which isn’t much) and I loved it in that. It’s like you guys are actually afraid of having more options at your disposal. In DCUO, it WAS exciting to get a new skin. DCUO’s skin unlocks weren’t even account wide, so what ANet is doing is pretty great.

and why can’t people choose one look for their character and ‘sit on it’? It is their character…and only they know what they want it to look like. I know what I want my character to be like from the creation, once I obtain that…why should I have to change it?

Posted by: whatsername.4128

whatsername.4128

I am ecstatic for a few changes, granted all these things actually happen like they seem they will:

• No more armor skins clogging up my bank because they were a one time thing and I haven’t found someone I want to use them on yet (gas mask, etc.)
  • I never have to grind through personal story for the exclusive skins found there again
  • If I want another Light of Dwayna back piece just for its looks and not its stats? I may never have to make another one.
  • I can have the skin of my precursor (The Lover) back without having to spend stupid amounts of gold or grind out crafting its look alike (which is almost equally expensive)
  • My Aether pistol skin (which is now selling for 290g on the to last I checked) I never have to purchase a duplicate for, and can give to all my pistol weilding alts as it is my favourite skin
  • In the same line, I never have to craft another Vision of the Mists or Anomaly (I own three of the later) when I don’t even use the berserker stats they come with and always have to transmute them to different stats anyways.
  • If I accidentally delete my medium aetherblade shoulder skin again via transmutation I can easily get it back without spending another 800 gems on another whole skin set
  • I never have to buy another Celestial or Abyss dye as I own both on at least one or up to three characters. A lot of unnecessary gold spending has now been remedied.
  • Put shorty: this wardrobe change will cut down on a lot of really unnecessary and unpleasant grinding for me that I’ve been putting off because of said unpleasantness.

Why I’m angry and upset with the changes announced today:

• I have in my posession probably easily $50+ in gems worth of the mix and match town clothes that were taken off the gemstore in December
  • ArenaNet is changing how said clothes work in a way I disagree with because it takes away my control over how I can use them and my appearance while using them (which was the whole point of buying them to begin with)
  • This seems like another move against the roleplaying crowd which gets enough grief as it is (we only take up one server why are we such a problem?)
  • This move is being made in a way that is a step backwards in the larger scope: features we already have in the game and can currently enjoy are being taken away, which makes little to no sense.

That’s the long and short of it from me.

Tarnished Coast – [NeX] [SASS]
Avalise [Sylvari Thief]

nGumball.1283

I am ecstatic for a few changes, granted all these things actually happen like they seem they will:

• No more armor skins clogging up my bank because they were a one time thing and I haven’t found someone I want to use them on yet (gas mask, etc.)
  • I never have to grind through personal story for the exclusive skins found there again
  • If I want another Light of Dwayna back piece just for its looks and not its stats? I may never have to make another one.
  • I can have the skin of my precursor (The Lover) back without having to spend stupid amounts of gold or grind out crafting its look alike (which is almost equally expensive)
  • My Aether pistol skin (which is now selling for 290g on the to last I checked) I never have to purchase a duplicate for, and can give to all my pistol weilding alts as it is my favourite skin
  • In the same line, I never have to craft another Vision of the Mists or Anomaly (I own three of the later) when I don’t even use the berserker stats they come with and always have to transmute them to different stats anyways.
  • If I accidentally delete my medium aetherblade shoulder skin again via transmutation I can easily get it back without spending another 800 gems on another whole skin set
  • I never have to buy another Celestial or Abyss dye as I own both on at least one or up to three characters. A lot of unnecessary gold spending has now been remedied.
  • Put shorty: this wardrobe change will cut down on a lot of really unnecessary and unpleasant grinding for me that I’ve been putting off because of said unpleasantness.

Why I’m angry and upset with the changes announced today:

• I have in my posession probably easily $50+ in gems worth of the mix and match town clothes that were taken off the gemstore in December
  • ArenaNet is changing how said clothes work in a way I disagree with because it takes away my control over how I can use them and my appearance while using them (which was the whole point of buying them to begin with)
  • This seems like another move against the roleplaying crowd which gets enough grief as it is (we only take up one server why are we such a problem?)
  • This move is being made in a way that is a step backwards in the larger scope: features we already have in the game and can currently enjoy are being taken away, which makes little to no sense.

That’s the long and short of it from me.

Information about town clothes are very foggy, I would say calm down and wait for further info cause it all seems a bit confusing.

Posted by: whatsername.4128

whatsername.4128

Information about town clothes are very foggy, I would say calm down and wait for further info cause it all seems a bit confusing.

It is and I am waiting but what we have been told hasn’t been positive from my perspective, so I’ve been voicing my opinion in the relevant thread in the mean time. I was just giving my two cents’ response to OP’s question about attitude changes regarding the patch. ;)

Tarnished Coast – [NeX] [SASS]
Avalise [Sylvari Thief]

phys.7689

I will definitely be applying certain skins onto multiple characters, of which I couldn’t do before without having multiple source skins.
….and when they come out with some new, cool looking stuff, then i’ll buy it and apply it as desired.

It’s a system just like DCUO’s except with the transmutation stone requirement (which isn’t much) and I loved it in that. It’s like you guys are actually afraid of having more options at your disposal. In DCUO, it WAS exciting to get a new skin. DCUO’s skin unlocks weren’t even account wide, so what ANet is doing is pretty great.

and why can’t people choose one look for their character and ‘sit on it’? It is their character…and only they know what they want it to look like. I know what I want my character to be like from the creation, once I obtain that…why should I have to change it?

no system would have forced you, and its not like DCUO system at all, DCUO you unlock a style item and can use it whenever you want, you dont have to pay money every time you change your style.

If it was like DCUO system it would be fine.

but this is not going to increase the desirability of transmutation stones (in your example it has the exact same value it had before to you) and its not going to increase the desirability of any armor that isnt the best right now.

yeah people will use stones to put the expensive hard to get gear on their other charachters, and then it will just sit there for months at a time. And they wont be trying to make that volcanus once they have dawn, because they can only use one anyhow.

The Revenant.4970

but this is not going to increase the desirability of transmutation stones (in your example it has the exact same value it had before to you) and its not going to increase the desirability of any armor that isnt the best right now.

yeah people will use stones to put the expensive hard to get gear on their other charachters, and then it will just sit there for months at a time. And they wont be trying to make that volcanus once they have dawn, because they can only use one anyhow.

It DOES increase the value of transmutation stones. I will be much more likely to use them because there are some skins I want on multiple characters that I would not have pursued the multiple source skins for. I’d also use pre 80 stones at times to cover up some lowbie looking armors. Before, I wouldn’t have wasted the stone/skin to do so.

We also get plenty of stones through dailies and BLCs. I have spent zero dollars on stones and I will continue to spend zero dollars on stones. The changes only benefit me and everyone else. The only people it does lightly scorn are the people throwing the fits over mixing town clothes, but frankly, they can get over it.

phys.7689

It DOES increase the value of transmutation stones. I will be much more likely to use them because there are some skins I want on multiple characters that I would not have pursued the multiple source skins for. I’d also use pre 80 stones at times to cover up some lowbie looking armors. Before, I wouldn’t have wasted the stone/skin to do so.

We also get plenty of stones through dailies and BLCs. I have spent zero dollars on stones and I will continue to spend zero dollars on stones. The changes only benefit me and everyone else. The only people it does lightly scorn are the people throwing the fits over mixing town clothes, but frankly, they can get over it.

How much clothes would you buy if everytime you went to the store they would take 10 dollars and take whatever you have on.

Sure the first time its an awesome deal, you get the 2000 dollar armani shirt, but after that? why bother even if some of those other shirts are cool, its gonna cost you 20 dollars if you ever want to wear the armani shirt again.

point is, while its a better implementation of what we have, its not a better method for selling shirts, or collecting shirts. which is the two primary values that GW2 wants clothes to have.

Posted by: korelg.7862

korelg.7862

objectively there is absolutely NO reason to feel unhappy about this wardrobe thing, it only brings good things:

-Gem store skins are now bought once and you get them for all your characters
-You no longer destroy a set of armor/weapons to change your looks
-Skins no longer use up your inventory/bank space

Regarding “charges” we already have charges, they are called transmutation crystals and it would be stupid to think Anet would get rid of such a source of revenue, and thats actually good for us, if they keep getting money we’ll get better content, also by making gem store skins accountbound it actually makes them a bit less profitable, but transmutation is still profitable, so we might start getting some new in-game skins for a change

all in all I’d say this wardrobe thing is all goods and no bads, people should feel happiness or indifference, but never unhappiness… its not logical