Interesting community reactions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

So when the blog was posted, people responded with, largely, elation. There was confusion about certain wording and such, but with the discussion, people figured it out, and an hour after the blogs were released, mostly everyone was excited, elated, and optimistic about the coming changes.

But 2 hours after the blog was posted, attitudes changed. Many people began pointing out “flaws” and complaints on the new system. People are decidedly less excited. Are they different people? Maybe, but not really. I’ve seen specific posters (no names) go from happiness to fear, out of speculation and paranoia and distrust of the game company that they obviously care about.

Why is this? Why does the community reaction appear to decline almost exponentially? I’m still elated, but I know many others are not. They’re angry. They were excited, but now, no longer.

Is it a mob mentality? Do members of the community see a negative reaction and follow suit quickly? I don’t know. I’m very very interested to get some answers though.

So here it is: if you were happy but now aren’t, what changed? Was it further speculation, introspection, knowledge, what? And if you were first unhappy, but are now happy, what changed?

Thanks for reading!

Because they screwed up.

• Town clothing as tonics?
  • No mixing and matching outfits?

Whoever thought of that should be fired.

As an RPer, I do love my town clothes… But I feel that that change is so minor compared to the coolness…. And this is what, nearly 12 hours after reading the blog? I don’t know. The downsides are there, but they’re minor to me. I know they’re not minor to everyone, but I have to say, we begged for these things and now we are getting them. I am happy about this.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

People need to start realizing that the only thing happening in this patch is winning and some people win more than others. there are no losers in this patch but because some people didn’t win the jackpot like others they feel like they lost on something. thats it

I think I will just post this to people’s complaints about this patch. There has to be some psychological syndrome that describes this phenomenon. It happens with everything, even if everyone wins as long as someone else has won more there are certain people out there who will feel cheated. You cant change human nature I guess.

Posted by: raptor.1064

raptor.1064

I would literally rather not have this patch at all just so I can keep my cool town clothes outfits.

Posted by: Strorm.4987

Strorm.4987

Really the ONLY drawback is the town clothes stuff, everything else about the wardrobe is awesome. There wouldn’t be as much complaint if they hadn’t revealed they’d be messing up the mix-and-matching of the town clothes.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

So when the blog was posted, people responded with, largely, elation. There was confusion about certain wording and such, but with the discussion, people figured it out, and an hour after the blogs were released, mostly everyone was excited, elated, and optimistic about the coming changes.

But 2 hours after the blog was posted, attitudes changed. Many people began pointing out “flaws” and complaints on the new system. People are decidedly less excited. Are they different people? Maybe, but not really. I’ve seen specific posters (no names) go from happiness to fear, out of speculation and paranoia and distrust of the game company that they obviously care about.

Why is this? Why does the community reaction appear to decline almost exponentially? I’m still elated, but I know many others are not. They’re angry. They were excited, but now, no longer.

Is it a mob mentality? Do members of the community see a negative reaction and follow suit quickly? I don’t know. I’m very very interested to get some answers though.

So here it is: if you were happy but now aren’t, what changed? Was it further speculation, introspection, knowledge, what? And if you were first unhappy, but are now happy, what changed?

Thanks for reading!

Because they screwed up.

As an RPer, I do love my town clothes… But I feel that that change is so minor compared to the coolness…. And this is what, nearly 12 hours after reading the blog? I don’t know. The downsides are there, but they’re minor to me. I know they’re not minor to everyone, but I have to say, we begged for these things and now we are getting them. I am happy about this.

I did not beg for town clothes to be tonics. I begged for them to be useful.

The change is so unnecessary that it is insulting. There are so many ways to approach town clothing that can make them a great cash cow, yet they chose to turn them into tonics?

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Lilith Ajit.6173

Thanks for reading!

Because they screwed up.

The change is so unnecessary that it is insulting. There are so many ways to approach town clothing that can make them a great cash cow, yet they chose to turn them into tonics?

There has to be a reason for it. Some logical explanation. They must have known about this back in December when they took them out of the store. Something made this difficult, whether it was clipping, or something else.

The tonics I don’t really understand. But given that my 4 sets of hot pants are going to be “turned into tonics” I will request a refund, but those gems I get back will instantly go to transmutation charges.

I don’t know their reasoning, but there has to be one. They wouldn’t just get rid of them just to make us cry. There’s a reason, and it is probably a decent one.

That’s my opinion though, of course.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Posted by: Fenrina.2954

Fenrina.2954

I think I will just post this to people’s complaints about this patch. There has to be some psychological syndrome that describes this phenomenon. It happens with everything, even if everyone wins as long as someone else has won more there are certain people out there who will feel cheated. You cant change human nature I guess.

Loosing two thirds of the transmutation stones I was saving for alts for a system I never wanted and can only save me a couple gold for those alts does not fit into any definition of “winning” I have ever heard of.

Some of the complaints being raised are valid. Even if you disagree with them.

Posted by: Twyll Blackleaf.9641

Twyll Blackleaf.9641

Really the ONLY drawback is the town clothes stuff, everything else about the wardrobe is awesome. There wouldn’t be as much complaint if they hadn’t revealed they’d be messing up the mix-and-matching of the town clothes.

Actually, the fact that 3 transmutation stones will equal 1 charge for changing the appearance of an items drastically reduces the value of transmutation stones, and some people did pay actual money for those. If you like to keep a character’s look consistent as they’re leveling, it will now cost you 3 times as much in terms of how many stones you had saved up.

The fact that unidentified dyes will no longer drop as loot means that anyone trying to make the Bifrost is going to have some real trouble with it, as they’re going to become really expensive. In fact, the dyes being so expensive will impact everyone who doesn’t have a bunch of alts that they want fancy colors on— and generally, the people who have a bunch of alts and want a bunch of dyes for those alts are also the people who like to be able to mix and match town clothes, so they can’t get one thing without having another taken away.

I can understand wanting to make crystals worth more than stones in the transition to charges, but shouldn’t that just mean that crystals are worth more, not that stones are worth less? I can understand making dyes rarer because people won’t need so many of them, but is it necessary to remove them as random drops entirely instead of just increasing their rarity?

I mean, a lot of the stuff about the wardrobe is great. It’s just that there are still some pretty substantial problems with it.

To answer the original question of this thread: people initially didn’t realize what some of the changes would mean. It’s easy to be excited about a wardrobe because we’ve been wanting one for ages, but it took a bit of time to realize “wait… now I can’t wear my Wintersday outfit with my Quaggan hat? It’s my favorite outfit! Wait… my transmutation stones will be worth how much?” and so on.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

People need to start realizing that the only thing happening in this patch is winning and some people win more than others. there are no losers in this patch but because some people didn’t win the jackpot like others they feel like they lost on something. thats it

for me its not about who benefits more, its about a system that makes better use of resources.
Still will have most of the same problems with new system as old system.
they made a better version of the old system, but the problem is the old system was causing problems at its roots.
1) annoying to deal with inventory
2)discourages changing looks
3)virtually no incentive to use gems more than once per chr
4)need to hang on to skins forever
5)doesnt encourage horizontal cosmetic progression

yeah its definately better than what we had, but all of the problems the old system encouraged, this one does as well.

Posted by: Fenrina.2954

Fenrina.2954

There has to be a reason for it. Some logical explanation. They must have known about this back in December when they took them out of the store. Something made this difficult, whether it was clipping, or something else.

The problem is the only official response we got is rather vague. It looks like it was an issue like clipping. I don’t think it holds much water given preexisting and recently released armors have clipping issues. There are human hairstyles that have clipping issues too. Neither of them are getting downgraded significantly as a result of that clipping.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Vol’s post on the first page summed up the complaints, I feel, but for me, I’m still stoked for the Wardrobe and dye changes and can’t wait for it to be released. Now, if only the “Account Bound” feature reveals that Soulbound is GONE and all soulbound items are now Account Bound…

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Here are the people who are kittened off by the change so far:
-dual legendary holders, + other expensive exotics
-people who like to mix-match town clothes
-people who bought multiple dyes
-people who absolutely hate anything involving the gem store

The first three I can get behind, the latter I have no sympathy for because they think GW2 should be a charity.

As with all changes, there will be people who will be negatively affected. And they are more than likely to be vocal about their displeasure.

Either way, these changes are for the good of the game – it’s players and creators.

I wouldn’t hate the gem store so much if the game didn’t revolve around the stupid thing. “Oh, you want to change your appearance because Guild Wars 2’s end-game involves finding your perfect look, which requires you to change clothes repeatedly? Here, have these transmutation stones for $5. Oh, wanna change your look again? 5 more dollars. Oh, again? 5 dollars….”

All of the new armor is released through the gem store. (Excluding back pieces and weapons, which don’t count).

All of the good stuff is released through the gem store. Permanent pick-axes, axes, and other permanent stuff.

Guild Wars 2 isn’t a charity, but I don’t agree with how Anet is running their gem-store either. Guild Wars 1 was doing perfectly fine with just a few costumes, and you didn’t have to spend 5 dollars every time you wanted to change clothes.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

So the fact that most likely you will have to pay every time you want to change skins in pvp is a win?

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I liked the Wardrobe when I first heard about it.
I still like it- I think it is awesome but I am unhappy about my town clothes.

I see it as a trade off however
- I get to use any skin I have across my account and I lose my special town clothes combo
- I get the ability to wear my Lennies on my Engi

It balances out- and I can always get a refund for the tonics and turn them in for charges.

To me it is still an overall win
Also Mystic Forge skins

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

Equi donati dentes non inspiciuntur

people like to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Posted by: Sundar.1735

Sundar.1735

I think the reason why people were elated initially and started to be negative after a while is because initially they saw the positive aspects and over time they realized the negative aspects such as the town clothes being all or nothing.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Thanks for reading!

Because they screwed up.

The tonics I don’t really understand. But given that my 4 sets of hot pants are going to be “turned into tonics” I will request a refund, but those gems I get back will instantly go to transmutation charges.

I don’t know their reasoning, but there has to be one. They wouldn’t just get rid of them just to make us cry. There’s a reason, and it is probably a decent one.

That’s my opinion though, of course.

Did ANet say a reason that they made them tonics? Until I see a logical explanation, I will assume it is illogical. ANet made so many illogical decisions without explaining them in the past. It will not be hard to assume that this is another illogical decision.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

I was pretty excited to hear about the armor wardrobe. I love the idea of unlocking a skin, and then not having to buy it again.

I was pretty happy to hear about the changes to the transmutation stones/crystals. I have tons of useless stones (almost all of my characters are level 80 already) and only a handful of crystals.

I was a little hesitant when I heard about account wide dyes. If I have duplicates… I get an unidentified dye? That doesn’t seem right. Consider me having Abyss on two characters. I get one unidentified dye due to the duplication. What are the chances that I’d get an Abyss out of that? I think the duplicates should just be returned, nothing unidentified about them. Abyss on two characters? Then I get an Abyss back.

Less happy to hear that full outfits like the pirate captain’s gear is an “all or nothing” deal. I hate the boots. They’re ugly. But I will no longer be able to mix in other boots. I paid real world money for the pirate clothes I have. All three sets.

And finally pretty disappointed with the change for individual pieces like the ornate ruched shirt. Made into tonics, so I can’t match that with the cargo shorts (which will be their own tonic). And I can’t dye them. I paid real money for these too, and the change is a poor one.

Overall, it’s like waking up on Christmas morning. Getting some really neat presents, and then in the last one you find a pile of old, unwashed sweaty gym socks. It kind of spoils the mood of the rest of the presents.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I’ve had to refrain from posting due to the “interesting community reactions”. My tolerance has lowered massively for some of the things said on here.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

To answer OP, haters gonna hate.

Lilith Ajit.6173

I’ve had to refrain from posting due to the “interesting community reactions”. My tolerance has lowered massively for some of the things said on here.

Now I’m very curious. What do you disagree with?

[ARES]

zenleto.6179

I disagree with whiners, ranters, and trolls. I’ve got no time for it. Usually I can find myself amused by it all but at the moment I can’t so I’m biting my tongue a lot. It hurts!

I’m looking forward to this update. Even the account-binding of dyes, which I thought I’d hate. Can’t wait to see how it all pans out.

Lilith Ajit.6173

I disagree with whiners, ranters, and trolls. I’ve got no time for it. Usually I can find myself amused by it all but at the moment I can’t so I’m biting my tongue a lot. It hurts!

I’m looking forward to this update. Even the account-binding of dyes, which I thought I’d hate. Can’t wait to see how it all pans out.

I am also excited, 24 hours of thinking about it, and I am actually starting to want it more. No complaints here!

This thread did turn into a feedback thread on the changes, but I am certainly more curious about community reactions. I agree with what a lot of people have said: it is possible that the initial reactions of elation were tempered by further introspection and speculation. Also, people who feel negatively are more likely to post feedback. But I guess I’m wondering, was anyone upset about it and then after further thought became really excited?

[ARES]

zenleto.6179

I am also excited, 24 hours of thinking about it, and I am actually starting to want it more. No complaints here!

This thread did turn into a feedback thread on the changes, but I am certainly more curious about community reactions. I agree with what a lot of people have said: it is possible that the initial reactions of elation were tempered by further introspection and speculation. Also, people who feel negatively are more likely to post feedback. But I guess I’m wondering, was anyone upset about it and then after further thought became really excited?

Put down as previously upset then very excited about the dyes

Posted by: XarOneZeroNine.2374

XarOneZeroNine.2374

I realized it changes nothing. The cost is still per use. Nothing changed except the user interface and some phrasing. People are going to use the same amount of ‘pay to make a change’ transmutation charges that they did for ‘pay to make a change’ transmutation crystals.

It saves me about 200 inventory slots. That changes a lot for me!

Since you selectively qutoed my post I assume you read only what you wanted to see and not the rest. I did say it that it frees up bank space and that freeing up the space is a good thing. The part of my post that you quoted was refering to how often the people that I play with will change their look.

I will say it again. The wardrobe change is good. Not great. It will change very little for the poeple that I play with in the overall scheme of things. However I do agree that it is an imporvement over what we have now.

Actually its a major change, not only to the UI but to your time and money as well. You don’t have to go out and spend months getting a second bolt anymore if you just want it for looks. You can simply use a trasmuted charge and get a second bolt in a couple seconds. That’s a huge change if you haven’t been reading the forums about people who made a second one complaining about it.

I did read those posts. Really legendaries are the biggest change the new system provides. But once again. I was answering the OPs question on why my enthusiasm fell. I was putting the change into the context of myself and the people I play with.

Overall the wardrobe is good, not great. Largely people will use it the same as they used the old system. A percentage will also use it to put bolt on every character without the stat swapping ability. But how often will they change their overall look? I have to use legendaries to make the system awesome? It should be awesome for everyone. Should it not?

The changes do nothing to make me want to hunt skins or chase down multiple looks. Which would be a good thing because then I’d have more incentive to swap looks on a whim. As it stands now we got a good, solid quality of life change / fix to a bad system. Not a great one. I’d still rather have the new wardrobe over what we have now hands down. I like the change I’m just not as giddy about it as some posters seem to be is all.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Why people changed their mind?

Fear, speculation and misinformation (or lack of it). Its a big update that will change a lot of stuff. And some important stuff that will change how people play. Its only a preview and Anet can’t put every information possible (even the patch notes won’t have all the information). When there is information lacking, there is always place for speculation and speculation is always a good place to imagine fear (real or not).

People think they deserve everything and can’t stand to see someone else with more. That’s not how life work. I can buy a ipad today and tomorrow it will be in sale at 50%. Well too bad for you, you won’t have a discount now.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

Initially, I was really excited, and in that excitement, absorbed only the good things and only saw things positively. Not to mention the fact that I probably ignored things I think don’t apply to me – like town clothes. I’ve never cared about them (except the fuzzy quaggan hats), so I didn’t bother really registering what they had to say about that.

Then, as I read more posts from other people, I realise they raise things, both good and bad, I had initially failed to notice. So, the more I thought about it, the more I realised I am not all that incentivised to constantly switch up the look of my characters because of the transmutation charge. I don’t change their looks much now because of the charges, and they aren’t going away. Overall, I’ll also be throwing a lot less money ANet’s way because now I don’t need to buy multiple sets of skins each time they release in the gem store, and I can buy any BLT weapon skins straight off the TP once, so I won’t even really buy keys anymore either. I won’t bother changing the look of my chars under 80 because I think it’s not worth the triple the value of a stone – it’s not a complaint about the exchange ratio, just a personal feeling that it’s not worth it. I need never make a mistake in what armour I choose again, because I can preview to my heart’s content from the wardrobe, so if I’m sensible, I only need choose and pay once. So the more I think about it, the less exciting it seems.

Then I go back and read about the town clothes changes, and though I’ve never paid them any attention at all, I can see why people are upset at the changes. While I understand that making them available for use during combat may have necessitated these changes, I can still see that people are not happy being unable to mix and match, since that may well be the only reason they bought items in the first place.

Also, I have spent a huge amount of money on skins in the gem store, and while I am content to swallow the cost of the several duplicate skins I have in the bank, I am still looking at a loss of close to 10,000 gems over the course of the past two years, which isn’t insignificant. So to hear that 800 gems does not buy me permanent access for free to these skins, isn’t the best news (but by no means enough to make me sad about the wardrobe!) and it does tone down my initial excitement a bit.

I am still very excited about the dye system changes, however! But, a little apprehensive about the future cost of dyes, nonetheless.

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

The first three I can get behind, the latter I have no sympathy for because they think GW2 should be a charity.

As with all changes, there will be people who will be negatively affected. And they are more than likely to be vocal about their displeasure.

Either way, these changes are for the good of the game – it’s players and creators.

I wouldn’t hate the gem store so much if the game didn’t revolve around the stupid thing. “Oh, you want to change your appearance because Guild Wars 2’s end-game involves finding your perfect look, which requires you to change clothes repeatedly? Here, have these transmutation stones for $5. Oh, wanna change your look again? 5 more dollars. Oh, again? 5 dollars….”

All of the new armor is released through the gem store. (Excluding back pieces and weapons, which don’t count).

All of the good stuff is released through the gem store. Permanent pick-axes, axes, and other permanent stuff.

Guild Wars 2 isn’t a charity, but I don’t agree with how Anet is running their gem-store either. Guild Wars 1 was doing perfectly fine with just a few costumes, and you didn’t have to spend 5 dollars every time you wanted to change clothes.

I personally doubt that gems will be the only way to obtain transmutation charges. But that’s the rare optimist in me. I believe they said that clicking a Transmutation Stone (3) will give you 1 charge. So it’s possible the items themselves will not be removed just yet, and you can still get charges through map completions.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

Lilith Ajit.6173

I personally doubt that gems will be the only way to obtain transmutation charges. But that’s the rare optimist in me. I believe they said that clicking a Transmutation Stone (3) will give you 1 charge. So it’s possible the items themselves will not be removed just yet, and you can still get charges through map completions.

I agree. I honestly don’t see why they would change the transmutation reward for competing a map (except maybe now it’ll be 1 charge per map? Maybe) I also bet they’ll be added to achievement reward chests in one way or another. And dailies.

[ARES]

Posted by: Osculim.2983

Osculim.2983

Like load of other folks I was happy about the wardrobe at first till i found out that i now have to fork out 3x the amount of stones to transmute a set for my caracters.

As an altoholic i like my caracters to look good right from the start and was able to transmute a set by doing 2 starter zones and collecting stones enough for a full set.

As of the 15th this is completely out the window as i just know i will not be able to affort those charges. So bye bye good looking alts and hello lame looking alts.

So for me what was suppose to be a friendly system made it totally unfriendly and unusable for me.

Don’t get me wrong tho if the charges are reasonably priced then sure but if they cost the same as crystals now its game over.

Posted by: IceVyper.6810

IceVyper.6810

Now that some time has passed, I am even more excited about the update. I have 9 level 80 characters, all equipped with rare and expensive items and now all of them can share them.

1) My 4 legendaries were split between 3 characters – now all can have them.

2) My Foefire’s Essence, Vision of the Mists, Illya etc can be used by the alts.

3) Less expensive, but still costly items, such as Jormag’s breath, The Anomaly etc can be shared.

4) All my characters can use my special and expensive backpiece skins: The Light of Dwayna, The Wind and Lightning ones etc. I may even recover the Dragons wings that I transmuted over a long time ago.

5) I have every fractal skin to share with my alts. The fractal sword!!! And I get to recover the axe skin that I transmuted.

6) I get to recover all Corrupted, Mystic and Arah skins that I got tired of and transmuted over. I will even get my Arah heavy amors back

7) I get to share all my Zodiac, Tormented, Lovestruck and Jade skins.

8) I get to share all the gemstore amors I bought and recover some of them.

9) I get to share all the T3 Cultural armors and recover the lower tiers that I destroyed.

10) I get to use all the expensive (80+ gold) dyes that I have unlocked on my mains.

11) I can give white acended skins to all the regular weapons I have.

Now I see people complain that they bought Abyss dye on several alts and that they had the same T3 light armor etc. Well, you got to use those for over 1,5 years and now you get to give them to even more characters. And this comes from a person who has 6 Celestial dyes and 3 Abyss, and crafted the Ebonmade white skinned ascended dagger 4 times just for the look.

And while I am extremely happy with the new wardrobe and dye system, I still feel that new special armor and weapon skins need to be introduced so that I can have something to work for. As it is right now, I see myself logging in on the 15th of April to play dress up for a while and then running out of things to do again. Doing fractals 49 for the 1000th time and getting another healing power weapon chest does not really do it for me anymore.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Like load of other folks I was happy about the wardrobe at first till i found out that i now have to fork out 3x the amount of stones to transmute a set for my caracters.

As an altoholic i like my caracters to look good right from the start and was able to transmute a set by doing 2 starter zones and collecting stones enough for a full set.

As of the 15th this is completely out the window as i just know i will not be able to affort those charges. So bye bye good looking alts and hello lame looking alts.

So for me what was suppose to be a friendly system made it totally unfriendly and unusable for me.

Don’t get me wrong tho if the charges are reasonably priced then sure but if they cost the same as crystals now its game over.

They are only more expensive if both of the following statements are true:
1. They are under level 80
2. The price of charges is greater than the price of stones

For item 1, it isn’t too difficult to ignore your character’s looks while they level. I know I do, which is why I’ve got 2 stacks of Transmutation Stones sitting in my bank. So while it could be true, it is also a short term matter since you won’t be sub-80 forever.

For item 2, we don’t know yet, but I assume that the charges will cost the same as the crystals, so it is probably true.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I am still quite pleased with the wardrobe feature honestly, and so is my husband. Yes, it has its potential flaws; however every system has it’s pros and cons.

Even if the new system were absolutely, totally free, someone would find an issue with it – ie: ‘I don’t want to have to soulbind, account bind, or salvage it to get the skin. I’m losing money doing that!" I actually quite like this, especially the salvage. It feels very similar to ‘discovering’ components from GW1. However, I’m quite willing to lose out on a few gold if it means I don’t have to hunt for or purchase that skin, or worse, horde it in my bank to take up space, ever again.

As it stands, this system is an improvement over the old one and, depending on availability and cost of transmute charges, potentially less of a gold sink. We need to keep in mind that Anet is a business. As such, they have opted to retain the transmutation costs for armor, thus keeping that revenue stream decently solid. However, they have also kept to the current standard of one stone/crystal (now ‘charge’) per piece, when they could have easily done one charge for a white, two for a blue, etc. Additionally, they are now reducing their revenue stream from the armors and weapons sold in the gem store. Want 2 of Jory’s daggers? You only have to buy it once now, not twice. Want Primeval on 2 heavies? You only have to buy the set once, instead of twice. For these 2 examples alone, it cuts their revenue from these in half. Now multiply that across hundreds of players and their various alts. That’s a pretty significant loss of sales, even factoring out those transactions made from gold to gem conversion (because someone had to buy those gems with cash to begin with).

Additionally, with the changes to the bank and to the hero display, you can now play with your look much easier – both the mixing and matching of armor and it’s coloration. For completionists, they can easily see what they have vs what they still ‘need’ to finish their collection. It means less time farming for a duplicate specific piece for its look. Less spent on the TP (thus more in your pocket) to get a piece you already have, but want on another character. Less destruction of armor due to transmutation (ie, the current system). As mentioned earlier in this post, less clogged bank space due to hording skins you can no longer obtain. Etc.

Are there still unanswered questions? Sure. Are some things vague? Of course. A blog can’t cover everything. Hell, no one person (even two) could possibly think of every question that could be posed. Politely compile a list of questions / concerns for the devs (which I think one of the various threads is doing) and we’ll see if they cover them in the live stream on Friday.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Lilith Ajit.6173

I am still quite pleased with the wardrobe feature honestly, and so is my husband. Yes, it has its potential flaws; however every system has it’s pros and cons.

Even if the new system were absolutely, totally free, someone would find an issue with it – ie: ‘I don’t want to have to soulbind, account bind, or salvage it to get the skin. I’m losing money doing that!" I actually quite like this, especially the salvage. It feels very similar to ‘discovering’ components from GW1. However, I’m quite willing to lose out on a few gold if it means I don’t have to hunt for or purchase that skin, or worse, horde it in my bank to take up space, ever again.

As it stands, this system is an improvement over the old one and, depending on availability and cost of transmute charges, potentially less of a gold sink. We need to keep in mind that Anet is a business. As such, they have opted to retain the transmutation costs for armor, thus keeping that revenue stream decently solid. However, they have also kept to the current standard of one stone/crystal (now ‘charge’) per piece, when they could have easily done one charge for a white, two for a blue, etc. Additionally, they are now reducing their revenue stream from the armors and weapons sold in the gem store. Want 2 of Jory’s daggers? You only have to buy it once now, not twice. Want Primeval on 2 heavies? You only have to buy the set once, instead of twice. For these 2 examples alone, it cuts their revenue from these in half. Now multiply that across hundreds of players and their various alts. That’s a pretty significant loss of sales, even factoring out those transactions made from gold to gem conversion (because someone had to buy those gems with cash to begin with).

Additionally, with the changes to the bank and to the hero display, you can now play with your look much easier – both the mixing and matching of armor and it’s coloration. For completionists, they can easily see what they have vs what they still ‘need’ to finish their collection. It means less time farming for a duplicate specific piece for its look. Less spent on the TP (thus more in your pocket) to get a piece you already have, but want on another character. Less destruction of armor due to transmutation (ie, the current system). As mentioned earlier in this post, less clogged bank space due to hording skins you can no longer obtain. Etc.

Are there still unanswered questions? Sure. Are some things vague? Of course. A blog can’t cover everything. Hell, no one person (even two) could possibly think of every question that could be posed. Politely compile a list of questions / concerns for the devs (which I think one of the various threads is doing) and we’ll see if they cover them in the live stream on Friday.

Very nice post, and I agree entirely.

I will, in fact, transmute more. I didn’t transmute for fear of losing expensive skins. Now that it is a flat rate transmutation cost, I’ll probably change skins once, twice, three times a week. My 147 crystals at the moment might last me a while, but they won’t last forever. With 16 characters, I’m going to change things around a lot, several times. I can use different daggers on my ele, because I won’t lose my fused skins forever. I’ll switch up to use my Kasmeer staff on my ele, because I’m not wasting her bifrost, or the Kasmeer skin.

And with dyes… well, I have every single dye unlocked on my main. I did this way back when I initially fell in love with dyes. Now I’ll have them on all of my characters. I have no reason not to play alts anymore.

I’m gaining so much more than I’m losing, and yes, I’m “losing” a bit. Dual skins of several weapons and the like. But anyway, so happy, and I keep getting happier.

[ARES]

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

No i’m still excited for the skin wardrobe, they’ve needed that for awhile. But i’m still upset about my town clothes being turned into tonics or full sets.

Just because A is in the same update as B doesn’t mean A is the same thing as B. I can like some things anet does and not like other things.

Posted by: Eskarina Tigress.3785

Eskarina Tigress.3785

@Lilith Ajit

I’m kind of in the same situation, I barely used the transmutation thingies and as a result I have over 250 of the yellow ones and 150 of the Crystals sitting in my bank, which for players who play a lot is probably an insignificant amount but I didnt see myself ever using them. With the unlocks however I imagine I’ll use them a bit more.

The dye change makes me extremely happy, I have indeed almost every dye unlocked…spread over 8 toons. Yeah. So with this change all the high end cool ones now become available to all my toons, its very much a win for me but then, I sold all the expensive dyes I got over time.

There’s one thing I am wondering though and I’ve not seen anyone mention it but are cultural armors now also available to toons that arent of that culture? So, can you use the human cultural armor on a Norn?

zenleto.6179

There’s one thing I am wondering though and I’ve not seen anyone mention it but are cultural armors now also available to toons that arent of that culture? So, can you use the human cultural armor on a Norn?

I’ve not seen anything written either but I very much doubt they would change this. Don’t ask me why. I’m way too tired to think properly but its just a feeling. Same reason why weapon skins won’t be usable by the incorrect professions, if you want to think of it like that.

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

The reason for the premature elation over this is because many people cannot read, or, to put it another way, people read only what they want to see.

When others come along, pointing out things they failed to comprehend, is when the disappointment sets in. They think something has been taken away from them when it wasn’t even there in the first place.

For me, I was not impressed when I first read the blog. At best, the wardrobe will free up a few bank slots; at worst it will make playing dress-up while leveling an alt more expensive.

I am currently leveling my 5th and last alt, a sylvari thief, and hit lvl 62 on Monday. I then bought a full set of medium T2 cultural, and used 6 trans stones to get the skins onto lvl 62 masterwork zerker armour. Come 15 April, this will cost 18 trans stones!!

Now I need to finish leveling this alt before 15 April, so I am not pleased …

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Lilith Ajit.6173

The reason for the premature elation over this is because many people cannot read, or, to put it another way, people read only what they want to see.

When others come along, pointing out things they failed to comprehend, is when the disappointment sets in. They think something has been taken away from them when it wasn’t even there in the first place.

For me, I was not impressed when I first read the blog. At best, the wardrobe will free up a few bank slots; at worst it will make playing dress-up while leveling an alt more expensive.

I am currently leveling my 5th and last alt, a sylvari thief, and hit lvl 62 on Monday. I then bought a full set of medium T2 cultural, and used 6 trans stones to get the skins onto lvl 62 masterwork zerker armour. Come 15 April, this will cost 18 trans stones!!

…I don’t understand how this could cost you 18 stones. it will cost you 6. o.O Ah, you mean the free stones you get from mapping.

Yeah I just don’t see your argument.

[ARES]

CrossedHorse.4261

…I don’t understand how this could cost you 18 stones. it will cost you 6. o.O Ah, you mean the free stones you get from mapping.

Stones, rather than crystals. Transmutation stones will be converted to transmutation charges at a rate of 3:1, so each transmute on a lower level character that currently costs 1 stone, will cost 1 charge, which is the equivalent of 3 stones. So transmuting a whole set of armour will cost the equivalent of 18 stones for a lower level character.

Lilith Ajit.6173

Stones, rather than crystals. Transmutation stones will be converted to transmutation charges at a rate of 3:1, so each transmute on a lower level character that currently costs 1 stone, will cost 1 charge, which is the equivalent of 3 stones. So transmuting a whole set of armour will cost the equivalent of 18 stones for a lower level character.

Gathered that.

Since they are so readily available i really don’t understand people’s complaint, tbh. It’s nice that we are getting a conversion at all.

My opinion.

[ARES]

CrossedHorse.4261

Gathered that.

Since they are so readily available i really don’t understand people’s complaint, tbh. It’s nice that we are getting a conversion at all.

My opinion.

Oh, I see. I thought you meant you didn’t understand how it cost 18 stones.

I am reserving judgement on this until the patch because we don’t yet know that stones will continue to drop as they currently do. But I can see that people might be annoyed – 3 stones per map completed used to get you three transmutations on a low level character, now they’d only get you one. So people are discouraged from switching skins on alts until level 80 when they get the full worth of the crystals/charges. It does seem a little limiting in terms of changing up your look, when everything else about the wardrobe is so wonderfully geared towards giving you more freedom.

But, like I said, I’m reserving judgement for the time being.

Posted by: Osculim.2983

Osculim.2983

They are only more expensive if both of the following statements are true:
1. They are under level 80
2. The price of charges is greater than the price of stones

For item 1, it isn’t too difficult to ignore your character’s looks while they level. I know I do, which is why I’ve got 2 stacks of Transmutation Stones sitting in my bank. So while it could be true, it is also a short term matter since you won’t be sub-80 forever.

For item 2, we don’t know yet, but I assume that the charges will cost the same as the crystals, so it is probably true.

I understand your point of not being low level forever but it still screws low level folks. I have 4 alts in the 20s -50s range and I play em all so the progression to lvl80 is not gonna be that fast.

The concern is that this forces people to wait till 80 to really start messing about with the wardrobe. Whats the fun in waiting for something cool when i was able to use it before.

phys.7689

Essentially, using T stones, of the course of leveling an alt, she could change her appearance multiple times, she was in fact encouraged to do so, because once she couldnt use the same stones once her charachter was using level 80 gears. Now the amount of changing is reduced by a factor of 3, and its using the same resource that decides how many times you can change level 80 gear.

now, personally this is not the end of the world, but it does reduce amount of changing for some.

See i may be assuming, but based on your previous posts, im assuming you spend a lot of money on the gem store, and are used to transmuting whenever it tickled your fancy. For you this system is pretty much the same but better. You get better window shopping, and get your purchases to be slightly cheaper than they used to be, as well as having access to whatever items you used to destroy.

However, most people dont really play the way you do. Most people rarely change their looks, because changing looks is a repeated cost. Most people are sitting on a ton of stones, because they didnt want to waste their costume changes. They hold on to skins because they are not sure who to give it to, and dont want to have to pay to change it later. They dont hunt new gears because what they have is 10% better and it aint worth 8 gold to them, or 1 dollar every time they change and then go back to the old style.

For a lot of people this change doesnt change anything, except effectively making most skins accountbound at the cost of transmutation stones. So they are dissapointed because they will still be mostly ignoring cosmetics, because they dont want to carry around a bunch of different armor sets, or pay a change cost every time they use a new look.

But yeah for players of your style (my guess ) this is a really good change, better shopping, less destruction, and account bound. If buying transmuation stones for each change never bothered you or made you not change, this system is quite a step up.

Eskarina Tigress.3785

You forget one thing. You had to buy 2 sets of armor AND use transmutation stones to get the desired effect, in the new system you only need the transmutation stones since you’ve already unlocked that, and other, armors for every toon.

Now, T2 is still pretty cheap but once you take that up to T3 which runs at, what, 140G or so? then it becomes a lot more palatable.
Also, while the old transmutation stones will disappear (I assume) there could well be an increased drop rate for the Crystals or new ways to acquire them.

phys.7689

Gathered that.

My opinion.

they were available, who knows what they will be now.
also i dont know about (readily) they were given for map completion mostly, the reason people had so many is because they didnt bother using them.

One of the big things they havent said, is how we will obtain charges in the future,
If they make charges a reward for more types of play (not just finite map completion and random dailies) then the system may promote hunting armor and changing gear looks more often.
If they eliminate all most sources but the cash shop or gold to gem, then it will definately decrease changes.

but in either case they wont really be making as much money as they would with an unlock system imo

Lilith Ajit.6173

Essentially, using T stones, of the course of leveling an alt, she could change her appearance multiple times, she was in fact encouraged to do so, because once she couldnt use the same stones once her charachter was using level 80 gears. Now the amount of changing is reduced by a factor of 3, and its using the same resource that decides how many times you can change level 80 gear.

now, personally this is not the end of the world, but it does reduce amount of changing for some.

See i may be assuming, but based on your previous posts, im assuming you spend a lot of money on the gem store, and are used to transmuting whenever it tickled your fancy. For you this system is pretty much the same but better. You get better window shopping, and get your purchases to be slightly cheaper than they used to be, as well as having access to whatever items you used to destroy.

However, most people dont really play the way you do. Most people rarely change their looks, because changing looks is a repeated cost. Most people are sitting on a ton of stones, because they didnt want to waste their costume changes. They hold on to skins because they are not sure who to give it to, and dont want to have to pay to change it later. They dont hunt new gears because what they have is 10% better and it aint worth 8 gold to them, or 1 dollar every time they change and then go back to the old style.

For a lot of people this change doesnt change anything, except effectively making most skins accountbound at the cost of transmutation stones. So they are dissapointed because they will still be mostly ignoring cosmetics, because they dont want to carry around a bunch of different armor sets, or pay a change cost every time they use a new look.

But yeah for players of your style (my guess ) this is a really good change, better shopping, less destruction, and account bound. If buying transmuation stones for each change never bothered you or made you not change, this system is quite a step up.

How anyone who asked for a wardrobe could have thought that it would be free to use infinitely any skin you bought once, or received once, is beyond my comprehension. That’s my issue with this. And they’re even giving us ample time to farm those low level transmutation stones so that we can get free charges come April 15.

Now, as for what kind of player I am, you’re half right. I place expensive skins on my expensive weapons and armors. I have been so hesitant to change them, because I would be losing either my stats or my skins. I no longer have to feel like I’m wasting my dungeon armors or my cultural armors just because I want to try something else. This will change a lot for me. I know some people are perfectly fine with their looks, but then some people are perfectly fine with have 1 character.

I can now (As of April 15) change any character’s look I want with the penalty of a few of these charges. Rather than, the penalty of the ascended gear stats versus the full cost of my cultural armors or gem store armors. I don’t need to lose them. I have my end game gear, and I can change it with a relatively small cost in comparison to what it would be.

Does this make sense?

[ARES]

phys.7689

You forget one thing. You had to buy 2 sets of armor AND use transmutation stones to get the desired effect, in the new system you only need the transmutation stones since you’ve already unlocked that, and other, armors for every toon.

Now, T2 is still pretty cheap but once you take that up to T3 which runs at, what, 140G or so? then it becomes a lot more palatable.
Also, while the old transmutation stones will disappear (I assume) there could well be an increased drop rate for the Crystals or new ways to acquire them.

yeah you save on having to buy 2 sets AFTER you get it the first time. IE you will still need to buy teir 3 AND the gear with the stats you want, but after the first time unlocking it, you will just need the gear with the stats you want. Like i said its better than what we have now, but it doesnt really change the “meta” of cosmetics, which makes most people only use one gear set for long periods of time.

Eskarina Tigress.3785

yeah you save on having to buy 2 sets AFTER you get it the first time. IE you will still need to buy teir 3 AND the gear with the stats you want, but after the first time unlocking it, you will just need the gear with the stats you want. Like i said its better than what we have now, but it doesnt really change the “meta” of cosmetics, which makes most people only use one gear set for long periods of time.

Oh yes, I agree there, but its a lot more convenient than the current system. Sure, there’s a downside but there generally is to any change, I’m not going to say its the bees knees until its actually in the game and we can play around with it but, to me, it sounds like a nice improvment.

Posted by: Sad Swordfish.9743

Sad Swordfish.9743

I don’t think a lot of people are really interested in being happy. It’s like this Ying/Yang paradox in all people.

I think the vast majority of the time people are upset over something like a patch update for a video game, they really are upset over things not working out in their own lives. I think happy people tend not to have the same urges to lash out over external minor matters like these.

I never expect anything to be perfect and my view of the world is that people in general, are trying very hard. So I think ArenaNet are doing the best they can. I feel pretty good about all the money I am getting out of this game, and I feel good about the money I have used in the gem store to support the game.
Actually I am more chain-freed and emotionally free from the politics and drama of this games community.