Invulnerable?? - Thoughtless Boss Mechanics

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: windyweather.1238

windyweather.1238

Hey, AN. It takes no thought at all to make a boss Invulnerable. And it’s no fun to play bosses like this.

I’m cleaning up the hearts in Iron Marches and of course there is some new content.
Happy day. But it’s pretty silly when the big boss is mostly invulnerable.
Can we all agree that if a boss goes invulnerable, then it does not attack? Or grow health?
Seems fair to me. I can see a boss going IV when it spawns minions. In that case it leaves the fight and you have to take care of the minions and then get back to the boss.
I’m watching this boss in the twisted vines here in Iron Marches near [Sleekfur Encampment WP] and it goes IV, and continues to attack. I’m not even joining that fight. No fun. That’s a Cheating Boss and thoughtless AI mechanics, IMO.

Maybe this has been covered elsewhere. But I’m just saying…..

Hey AN. Let’s be fair and spend more than 5 minutes designing a boss.
- ww

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

There are mechanics to the fight explained in the event notification.

windyweather.1238

Are you suggesting that I didn’t RTFM?? kitten kitten kitten [sic] I’m often caught reading wiki pages, but not usually before I starting killing a foe. Not even in dungeons. I usually go there and learn from others that are doing the dungeon. Sure damps down the immersion of the experience if you have to stop to read the manual don’t you think?

Ayrilana.1396

Are you suggesting that I didn’t RTFM?? kitten kitten kitten [sic] I’m often caught reading wiki pages, but not usually before I starting killing a foe. Not even in dungeons. I usually go there and learn from others that are doing the dungeon. Sure damps down the immersion of the experience if you have to stop to read the manual don’t you think?

I said event notification, not the wiki. You know, that thing that pops up on the right side of the screen when you’re in range of an event.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

You mean, stop from re-enacting Leeroy Jenkins’ infamous moment so you don’t wind up frustrated and posting here? You’re right, it’s way more fun for us to watch people “not RTFM” and fail, then wonder why.

So, mind expanding on this event boss you’re talking about, because I bet once you start you’ll understand what exactly was going on.

Note: Tequatl also goes invulnerable as part of the fight if you’ve got people not doing the right thing in the turrets or if the turrets go down. He still attacks. There’s the “Corrupted Gaze” mechanic of the Risen High Priestess of Lyssa. There’s even the invulnerability phase of the Shadow Behemoth.

So . . . what are we talking about with this particular boss?

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

Wonderfully clueless post, OP. Thanks for the chuckles.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Ayrilana.1396

He’s talking about the one that spawns the vines that you must kill in order to remove the boss’ invulnerability. The event notification tells you what to do.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

He’s talking about the one that spawns the vines that you must kill in order to remove the boss’ invulnerability. The event notification tells you what to do.

I’m sorry, I hadn’t actually been through that event recent enough to remember it.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

Make bosses dumb. Reduce their damage by 90%, reduce their hp by 50%. They shouldn’t move and laugh a bit.
Each one of them should drop Legendary weapon Chest of choice. Give 500 AP.

Also, so Anet won’t be greedy, add 50% chance to obtain random Gem Shop item.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

Posted by: Ashandar.2570

Ashandar.2570

I like that boss, I like any boss that is different from the usual, spam-1-until-dead bosses.
Frankly though, I’d prefer it if all bosses had healing skills etc with the same cooldown as we do, and utility skills. That would make it more interesting.

In due time, all will serve the asura.

windyweather.1238

I see, Ayrilana. That may have been the intent, and maybe it’s a bug. But the big husk boss was ATTACKING while it was saying Invulnerable. I watched for several minutes. Waiting on more than 3 of us to show up. But when the thing kept going IV and attacking, and doing damage to the folks there, I said – “Cheater” and moved on with my life. If the vine minion thing is going on, the AI design seems to be “I’m a big boss that will kill you, but you have to kill my minions before you can do any damage to me.” I don’t recall having seen that here before. What I have seen is that the boss goes IV and stops attacking until you kill it’s minions. Hey, AN can do anything they want, and I can decide whether their design is cheating, and not participate.

On a similar note, I never had any fun with all the Toxic content we saw last year, and sill remains in a few places. It was all so difficult that you apparently needed ascended gear. All I have at this point is level 80 exotic, so I was out gunned by so much that it wasn’t even a starter. Hey that’s fine. They build it and I can decide whether or not to participate. So far there are still places that I’ve found where a poor level 80 with only exotic gear can have fun.

Sorry NVM… I’m such a whiner… with the flame thrower it’s trivial. Only died 5 or 6 times and no chest at the end, but I got gold…
- ww

(edited by windyweather.1238)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

There are more than one Imp veterans that spawn something called an “altar” (though it’s more just a stick with something on it). When they do, they go invulnerable. That’s been in since launch. The one the OP is talking about is a wee bit more complicated, though. The “altar” can be destroyed very quickly.

Ayrilana.1396

All toxic content, could be done in exotics. The only thing that I had difficulties with was one particular toxic mob type.

As far as the husk not attacking while it’s invulnerable, I don’t see why it shouldn’t be able to. The story boss in the fort where Belinda died was invulnerable until you brought its shield down with the minions. It could still attack you.

Edit:

Here’s the event that the OP is referring to.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Defeat_the_Gravelash_and_its_cluster_of_tendrils

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This is why it’s hard for Anet to introduce harder content into the game. There’s nothing wrong, in my opinion, with the event.

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

There are more than one Imp veterans that spawn something called an “altar” (though it’s more just a stick with something on it). When they do, they go invulnerable. That’s been in since launch. The one the OP is talking about is a wee bit more complicated, though. The “altar” can be destroyed very quickly.

And it should be noted that the invulnerable imps continue to attack. Just like the Gravelash.

Honestly I think the biggest problem with fights like this is due to the players not seeing that “invulnerable” icon. And yet they continue to attack even when all the damage numbers they are seeing are things like “immune” and “haha” and “no, stop, that tickles.” And ignoring the extras (altars, minions, vines, whatever) entirely.

But I’m not sure how you can get players to notice the obvious.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

And it should be noted that the invulnerable imps continue to attack. Just like the Gravelash.

Honestly I think the biggest problem with fights like this is due to the players not seeing that “invulnerable” icon. And yet they continue to attack even when all the damage numbers they are seeing are things like “immune” and “haha” and “no, stop, that tickles.” And ignoring the extras (altars, minions, vines, whatever) entirely.

But I’m not sure how you can get players to notice the obvious.

You find Dan Castellaneta to start shouting “get up on the hydra’s back” like in that one game, I forget which one . . .

Of course, you run into the risk of giving birth to another “Watch the ledges!” type thing.

Teon.5168

On a similar note, I never had any fun with all the Toxic content we saw last year, and sill remains in a few places. It was all so difficult that you apparently needed ascended gear. All I have at this point is level 80 exotic, so I was out gunned by so much that it wasn’t even a starter. Hey that’s fine. They build it and I can decide whether or not to participate. So far there are still places that I’ve found where a poor level 80 with only exotic gear can have fun.

Ok, it is pretty obvious now that you’re just trolling.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Tobias Trueflight.8350

No. No he’s not really about how rough Toxic events were. I had a lot of problems with some iterations of the events, since it seemed a large amount of the mobs spawned were Veteran and if a group so much as ran past I’d see Elites.

I was a ranger, in full Exotics. The Toxic Alliance kicked my tail regularly and would make it relatively hard to beat the events by the time limits.

I suspect this is because they’re not balanced so one solo player can take it. Much like how War in Kryta was balanced almost entirely with HM capable people in mind.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

I see, Ayrilana. That may have been the intent, and maybe it’s a bug. But the big husk boss was ATTACKING while it was saying Invulnerable. I watched for several minutes. Waiting on more than 3 of us to show up. But when the thing kept going IV and attacking, and doing damage to the folks there, I said – “Cheater” and moved on with my life. If the vine minion thing is going on, the AI design seems to be “I’m a big boss that will kill you, but you have to kill my minions before you can do any damage to me.” I don’t recall having seen that here before. What I have seen is that the boss goes IV and stops attacking until you kill it’s minions. Hey, AN can do anything they want, and I can decide whether their design is cheating, and not participate.

The way I see it is, NPCs have to cheat, because so can we. We can become invulnerable for several frames using the dodge mechanic. So long as the NPCs don’t all cheat the exact same way, it doesn’t seem that bad.

FYI, this ‘cheating’ is prevalent in fractals. The last boss can’t even be attacked until half way through and the only way to harm it until then is to fling crystals you charge with the boss’ own attack.

(edited by Leo G.4501)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The way I see it is, NPCs have to cheat, because so can we. We can become invulnerable for several frames using the dodge mechanic. So long as the NPCs don’t all cheat the exact same way, it doesn’t seem that bad.

FYI, this ‘cheating’ is prevalent in fractals. The last boss can’t even be attacked until half way through and the only way to harm it until then is to fling crystals you charge with the boss’ own attack.

Sorry NVM… I’m such a whiner… with the flame thrower it’s trivial. Only died 5 or 6 times and no chest at the end, but I got gold…
- ww

[/quote]

If you can’t do it in exotic gear, you won’t be able to do it in ascended gear. It’s all about technique and builds, not about stats.

In fact, the biggest problems with those events for most people is they’re running around a zerker gear and so die faster, particularly without enough condition removal.

Teon.5168

No. No he’s not really about how rough Toxic events were. I had a lot of problems with some iterations of the events, since it seemed a large amount of the mobs spawned were Veteran and if a group so much as ran past I’d see Elites.

I was a ranger, in full Exotics. The Toxic Alliance kicked my tail regularly and would make it relatively hard to beat the events by the time limits.

I suspect this is because they’re not balanced so one solo player can take it. Much like how War in Kryta was balanced almost entirely with HM capable people in mind.

I am a ranger, too, in full exotics, and while the toxic events could be tough, you could manage a lot of them with just 1 or 2 friends. But it was his comment about ascended gear being so much better than exotic gear, which is just not true. I don’t know, either the OP is a completely clueless player, or is just trolling and baiting with this thread. I tend to believe the latter.

If it is the first that is true, then ascended gear won’t make a dang bit of difference…lol.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

Teon.5168

If you can’t do it in exotic gear, you won’t be able to do it in ascended gear. It’s all about technique and builds, not about stats.

In fact, the biggest problems with those events for most people is they’re running around a zerker gear and so die faster, particularly without enough condition removal.

+100

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-